Author Topic: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe v2 (SPOILERS)  (Read 107028 times)

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Re: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe v2 (SPOILERS)
« Reply #3850 on: May 22, 2020, 05:11:57 PM »
Personally, I always feel like Tony trying to kill Bucky just doesn't work. I mean, sure, I understand Tony's a hothead. I understand, obviously, having his parents murdered is something that really fucks with him. But Bucky was brainwashed, Tony knows he was brainwashed, and it just feels really weak to have that be the thing that makes Cap and Tony duke it out. Especially because I feel like the philosophical difference between the two was actually really interesting and made for a much better driver of the divide between them. The Bucky thing just feels way too contrived, like oh I guess these guys have got to fight about something, so here we go.

I do like the movie overall, though.
if the flow checks out and your rhymes are dope enough then the police start unholstering their guns

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3851 on: May 22, 2020, 05:15:24 PM »
We are almost done with season three, and we watched Captain America Civil War tonight. I forgot what an emotional roller coaster this movie is.

I don't know why, but I never really connected much with this movie, and I find that it hasn't aged well.  It has its moments, but much like the airport fight, it is just full of punches that never landed for me.

For me, it's just the embodiment of how things are not as cut and dry as people make them out to be.   Cap's best friend is responsible for hundreds of deaths, including Tony's parents....or is he?   Was he responsible for his actions?   Or does the fault lay strictly with Hydra for experimenting on him and making him do things against his will?    Then we have Tony who can't see anything but the guy who killed his mom.   Totally understandable, but not the whole story.    Then we have Black Panther, who holds Bucky responsible for something he DIDN'T actually have anything to do with, and ultimately learning the lesson that Tony (who only wanted revenge) was missing.   

Very multi-faceted that way, and I really appreciated the way that all the characters were well developed and had their own well rounded motivations for doing what they did.     There were legitimate reasons on all sides for each character to take the action they did, even though it put them at odds with each other.   

I would think it not easy to put that many emotions and subplots into a cohesive story, but by jove they pulled it off brilliantly.   
Yeah, all that is in there.  But yet, they still did NOT pull it all off brilliantly.  It was clunky, and although the seeds for their motivations were there, they just weren't developed enough to make you feel anything about the actual conflict. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jammindude

• The Jammin Dude Show
« Reply #3852 on: May 22, 2020, 08:11:52 PM »
Well... vive la différence!  That is truly what I cherish about forums.

On to the final 3 episodes of season 3!  :metal
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3853 on: May 22, 2020, 08:21:20 PM »
I’m gonna be honest here.

I really want to do a marvel watch through with JD.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

• The Jammin Dude Show
« Reply #3854 on: May 22, 2020, 09:21:06 PM »
I’m gonna be honest here.

I really want to do a marvel watch through with JD.

I'm not starting over again.   :rollin

But if you want to join us right now, we're about 10 min into episode 21 Season 3.

Offline jammindude

• The Jammin Dude Show
« Reply #3855 on: May 22, 2020, 09:22:44 PM »
And BTW....I wish all of you were on the couch with me and mine right now.   If you could convince my son to only talk when there's no dialog, it would all be worth it.    :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline jammindude

• The Jammin Dude Show
« Reply #3856 on: May 24, 2020, 08:59:12 PM »
I've finished Season 3, and I watched Black Panther last night and I'm watching Spider-Man Homecoming and Doctor Strange tonight. 

Cool Easter Egg I just discovered...and verified through the MCU Wiki.   Remember in The Incredible Hulk when Bruce bribed a night worker to let him use the computers by giving him some pizza?   (not Lou Ferrigno....the college student in the lab)   That guy...that particular character (and the actor who plays him)...becomes Peter Parker's academic team teacher. 

Offline Adami

« Reply #3857 on: May 24, 2020, 09:04:09 PM »
Was that official? Always just figured it was the same actor and when asked about they said “sure. Why not”
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

• The Jammin Dude Show
« Reply #3858 on: May 24, 2020, 09:51:24 PM »
Was that official? Always just figured it was the same actor and when asked about they said “sure. Why not”

I don't know if it was actually retro fitted or not.  But the characters name is Roger Harrington, and his entry in the MCU Wiki confirms that character is the same guy.

https://marvelcinematicuniverse.fandom.com/wiki/Roger_Harrington

EDIT - for the record, even if it is retro fitted, I think it's kinda cool

Offline hefdaddy42

• Back for the Attack
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3859 on: May 26, 2020, 12:12:44 PM »
AFAIK, the MCU Wiki is not run by Marvel or Disney, but by fans.  So anything being there is just there, not necessarily "official".

Again, AFAIK.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Adami

« Reply #3860 on: May 26, 2020, 12:43:09 PM »
AFAIK, the MCU Wiki is not run by Marvel or Disney, but by fans.  So anything being there is just there, not necessarily "official".

Again, AFAIK.

Yea, same here. Fortunately it's such a minor thing that it's cool to believe whether or not it's official. If it's the same character, neat, if it's not, oh well. But it was definitely not an intentional thing. Martin Starr was brought into Spider-Man because his buddies wrote it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soupytwist

• cockblocking ass
« Reply #3861 on: Today at 05:45:47 AM »
I'm currently working my way through Agents of Shield.  I'm one of those that gave up after a few episodes of it's original broadcast because I didn't think it was very good, then I heard it got better but never had the time to pick it up again, but in this Covid period I've got a lot more time.

So I rewatched those first few episodes again and I'm now coming towards the backend of Season 2.  Season 1 dramatically improved in it's second half, and that momentum continued into season 2, however I'm finding it's lost some of that momentum since Skye got her power, hoping the final few episodes of season 2 start ramping up the excitement again.