Author Topic: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe v2 (SPOILERS)  (Read 248382 times)

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Re: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe v2 (SPOILERS)
« Reply #3850 on: May 22, 2020, 05:11:57 PM »
Personally, I always feel like Tony trying to kill Bucky just doesn't work. I mean, sure, I understand Tony's a hothead. I understand, obviously, having his parents murdered is something that really fucks with him. But Bucky was brainwashed, Tony knows he was brainwashed, and it just feels really weak to have that be the thing that makes Cap and Tony duke it out. Especially because I feel like the philosophical difference between the two was actually really interesting and made for a much better driver of the divide between them. The Bucky thing just feels way too contrived, like oh I guess these guys have got to fight about something, so here we go.

I do like the movie overall, though.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3851 on: May 22, 2020, 05:15:24 PM »
We are almost done with season three, and we watched Captain America Civil War tonight. I forgot what an emotional roller coaster this movie is.

I don't know why, but I never really connected much with this movie, and I find that it hasn't aged well.  It has its moments, but much like the airport fight, it is just full of punches that never landed for me.

For me, it's just the embodiment of how things are not as cut and dry as people make them out to be.   Cap's best friend is responsible for hundreds of deaths, including Tony's parents....or is he?   Was he responsible for his actions?   Or does the fault lay strictly with Hydra for experimenting on him and making him do things against his will?    Then we have Tony who can't see anything but the guy who killed his mom.   Totally understandable, but not the whole story.    Then we have Black Panther, who holds Bucky responsible for something he DIDN'T actually have anything to do with, and ultimately learning the lesson that Tony (who only wanted revenge) was missing.   

Very multi-faceted that way, and I really appreciated the way that all the characters were well developed and had their own well rounded motivations for doing what they did.     There were legitimate reasons on all sides for each character to take the action they did, even though it put them at odds with each other.   

I would think it not easy to put that many emotions and subplots into a cohesive story, but by jove they pulled it off brilliantly.   
Yeah, all that is in there.  But yet, they still did NOT pull it all off brilliantly.  It was clunky, and although the seeds for their motivations were there, they just weren't developed enough to make you feel anything about the actual conflict. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3852 on: May 22, 2020, 08:11:52 PM »
Well... vive la différence!  That is truly what I cherish about forums.

On to the final 3 episodes of season 3!  :metal
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3853 on: May 22, 2020, 08:21:20 PM »
I’m gonna be honest here.

I really want to do a marvel watch through with JD.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3854 on: May 22, 2020, 09:21:06 PM »
I’m gonna be honest here.

I really want to do a marvel watch through with JD.

I'm not starting over again.   :rollin

But if you want to join us right now, we're about 10 min into episode 21 Season 3.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3855 on: May 22, 2020, 09:22:44 PM »
And BTW....I wish all of you were on the couch with me and mine right now.   If you could convince my son to only talk when there's no dialog, it would all be worth it.    :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3856 on: May 24, 2020, 08:59:12 PM »
I've finished Season 3, and I watched Black Panther last night and I'm watching Spider-Man Homecoming and Doctor Strange tonight. 

Cool Easter Egg I just discovered...and verified through the MCU Wiki.   Remember in The Incredible Hulk when Bruce bribed a night worker to let him use the computers by giving him some pizza?   (not Lou Ferrigno....the college student in the lab)   That guy...that particular character (and the actor who plays him)...becomes Peter Parker's academic team teacher. 

Offline Adami

« Reply #3857 on: May 24, 2020, 09:04:09 PM »
Was that official? Always just figured it was the same actor and when asked about they said “sure. Why not”
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3858 on: May 24, 2020, 09:51:24 PM »
Was that official? Always just figured it was the same actor and when asked about they said “sure. Why not”

I don't know if it was actually retro fitted or not.  But the characters name is Roger Harrington, and his entry in the MCU Wiki confirms that character is the same guy.

https://marvelcinematicuniverse.fandom.com/wiki/Roger_Harrington

EDIT - for the record, even if it is retro fitted, I think it's kinda cool

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3859 on: May 26, 2020, 12:12:44 PM »
AFAIK, the MCU Wiki is not run by Marvel or Disney, but by fans.  So anything being there is just there, not necessarily "official".

Again, AFAIK.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Adami

« Reply #3860 on: May 26, 2020, 12:43:09 PM »
AFAIK, the MCU Wiki is not run by Marvel or Disney, but by fans.  So anything being there is just there, not necessarily "official".

Again, AFAIK.

Yea, same here. Fortunately it's such a minor thing that it's cool to believe whether or not it's official. If it's the same character, neat, if it's not, oh well. But it was definitely not an intentional thing. Martin Starr was brought into Spider-Man because his buddies wrote it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3861 on: May 27, 2020, 05:45:47 AM »
I'm currently working my way through Agents of Shield.  I'm one of those that gave up after a few episodes of it's original broadcast because I didn't think it was very good, then I heard it got better but never had the time to pick it up again, but in this Covid period I've got a lot more time.

So I rewatched those first few episodes again and I'm now coming towards the backend of Season 2.  Season 1 dramatically improved in it's second half, and that momentum continued into season 2, however I'm finding it's lost some of that momentum since Skye got her power, hoping the final few episodes of season 2 start ramping up the excitement again.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3862 on: May 29, 2020, 02:17:31 PM »
REALLY enjoyed the season premier for this season's AOS.  It carries the current storyline forward well without feeling as doomy as the past 2.  Lots of fun callbacks, nods, and little twists.  The period piece feel automatically makes it kinda more charming as well.  I do hope we'll get some Fitz later.  But time will tell.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3863 on: May 29, 2020, 02:54:45 PM »
I liked it, too.  Lots of fun stuff.  Coulson is back from the dead again (do we even need spoiler warnings for this guy anymore?  It's been like three or four times so far), and fun again; "Sarge" was such a downer.  Fitz and Simmons are separated by miles and/or years again.  Skye/Daisy/Quake has powers that she uses sometimes and then kinda forgets to use sometimes and gets her ass kicked a bit (but it's okay because it's a really nice ass).  Mac is big and brooding, Elena is hot but whiney, May is out of control, Deke is annoying but occassionally brilliant, Enoch is awesome but naive.  We're back!

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3864 on: May 30, 2020, 07:18:29 AM »
Cool.  jingle.son and I plan on firing it up tonight.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3865 on: May 30, 2020, 09:24:14 AM »
We are still slamming through our marathon.   We even threw in the Slingshot web-series where it belonged in Season 4. 

It's a bit of a bummer that I missed the season 7 premier, but I would almost need a refresher on everything that happened in Season 6 anyway, so we will get there, and when we do I hope it is still On Demand.   If not, we have every intention of buying the "complete series" box set when they get around to it.   (Do they still do that sort of thing?)

I'm getting super excited because the idea of The Framework is just being introduced, and my two sons have NO IDEA where this is going.  I'm having a very difficult time keeping a poker face. 
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 08:06:28 PM by jammindude »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3866 on: May 30, 2020, 07:13:00 PM »
I liked The Framework and that whole arc.  I thought it was well done.  Maybe not the most original idea, not flawless either, but overall it was executed well and it made you think.  And it was fun.  Moved along fast enough that you just rolled with it.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3867 on: May 31, 2020, 10:40:53 AM »
I liked The Framework and that whole arc.  I thought it was well done.  Maybe not the most original idea, not flawless either, but overall it was executed well and it made you think.  And it was fun.  Moved along fast enough that you just rolled with it.

:iagree:

@ theDude... hopefully AOS eventually makes it's way on to Disney+.  No reason it shouldn't... it is/was an ABC show
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3868 on: June 09, 2020, 09:28:25 PM »
Believe it or not, I'm actually still doing this.    We're finishing up Season 4 as we speak.   Seeing my son's reactions to the twists is just CLASSIC.   

....and he has no idea what twist awaits him in season 5.   :xbones

A few episodes in, we have to start looking at Ragnarok and Ant Man and the Wasp, and then right before the end of season 5 Infinity War, and then Endgame after.    So we're getting to the meat and potatoes now.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3869 on: June 10, 2020, 10:07:26 AM »
I don't have time for such a massive rewatch.  But if I could find the time, I'd love to do a mini of the Ragnarok > Endgame timeline with AOS season 5 sprinkled in.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3870 on: June 10, 2020, 10:13:55 AM »
I'm still digging Agents of SHIELD, and am looking forward to tonight's episode.  The "Time Bandits" thing with them jumping around in time and space is a pretty cool concept, and I hope it keeps up through the whole season.  So I guess we're done with the 1930's and off to somewhere/somewhen else?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3871 on: June 19, 2020, 09:40:08 AM »
I just have to say that this season is probably my favorite so far.  I am loving everything about it.  Good story.  The humor level to me is just perfect--neither too much nor too little.  And the way they are setting each episode as a period piece is just so charming.  It really seems like the entire acting and creative team are letting loose and having fun with this as a final season, but still showing taste and restraint at the same time, and it's a really nice balance seldom seen in a show like this.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3872 on: June 19, 2020, 02:51:29 PM »
AOS is always one of those shows we get much later on in the UK, it's really frustrating. Great to hear such good things about the final season so far though, makes me look forward to it!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3873 on: June 19, 2020, 04:37:14 PM »
Rich, just remember this post when you get it.  Season 7, episode 4 is perhaps the most fun thing that they have done this entire series. 

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3874 on: June 19, 2020, 06:07:54 PM »
I should really get into the series again. Season 4 remains my favourite superhero season of all time and I think the coherent  three arc structure is an example more series should follow (with this I mean the logical subsequent escalations from one arc into another, within a single season).

The strange thing is... that I never watched anything beyond that! Glad to hear it is still good.

And I will never not shit on the awful first season. I really wonder if this show would be more popular where I live if it started out decently. 

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3875 on: June 22, 2020, 08:23:07 AM »
And I will never not shit on the awful first season. I really wonder if this show would be more popular where I live if it started out decently. 
I gave up on it halfway through the first season and never gave it another shot.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3876 on: June 22, 2020, 09:53:35 AM »
I gave up on it halfway through the first season and never gave it another shot.

Oh c'mon guys... it wasn't *that* bad.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3877 on: June 22, 2020, 09:55:31 AM »
I liked S1.  Yes, it took awhile to figure out what it wanted to be and get its feet under it.  But that doesn't make it bad.  I kinda want to do a rewatch, but time will now allow.  But...

************SPOILERS*****************

Given what is going on with AOS, we started an Agent Carter rewatch so the kids can get up to speed with that series, since they haven't seen it.

Offline Adami

« Reply #3878 on: June 22, 2020, 09:57:34 AM »
I liked S1.  Yes, it took awhile to figure out what it wanted to be and get its feet under it.  But that doesn't make it bad.  I kinda want to do a rewatch, but time will now allow.  But...

************SPOILERS*****************

Given what is going on with AOS, we started an Agent Carter rewatch so the kids can get up to speed with that series, since they haven't seen it.

I wouldn't call Season 1 bad, but I would definitely call it very boring and bland. I do remember, during it, that I considered giving up on it because I just didn't care and thought they were better than that. Luckily I stuck it out and then BAM it figured itself out.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3879 on: June 22, 2020, 10:09:42 AM »
The first season of most shows can be awkward, uneven, and sometimes downright bad.  We were all into the world-building that the MCU was doing, and AoS seemed like a nice "weekly dose" we could get while waiting for the next MCU movie.  It wasn't great, but it was something to watch together with the kids (plus the kids have lower standards and thought it was fine).  And it definitely picked up after Season One, and IMO has been pretty solid ever since.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3880 on: June 22, 2020, 11:53:46 AM »

Oh c'mon guys... it wasn't *that* bad.
It was bad enough for me to give up on it at the time.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3881 on: June 22, 2020, 01:08:22 PM »
It was bad enough that I also quit it, and a lot of Marvel lovers I know too. Look, I do think s1 has some good episodes and has some decent foundations, but that weak "monster of the week" structure it started with is just not reflective of the series at all. And the action scenes, direction, visuals, acting etc all are so much better later on. I don't know what happened between season 1 and 2 productionwise, but the jump in my opinion was very big.

Online I read the series got way more interesting after The Winter Soldier (MCU film) and that season 2 was ace, so I decided used an "what are the essential episodes of s1" guide I found online and I am thankful that I did, because the show is awesome. And I don't know why, but the Netflix shows weirdly feel very low budget compared to this.

Now at episode 5 of season 5 and I am really into it once again! :metal

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3882 on: June 25, 2020, 08:21:51 AM »
Last night's episode was not quite as fun as previous weeks.  But, man, they sure upped the stake in one fell swoop.  Each prior episode, there was a lot of, "Mmm, this isn't ideal, but it's a small enough ripple that it shouldn't have any lasting effect on the timeline.  I think we're good."  Now we've definitely ratcheted things up to about defcon 4 or so.  Not full-on panic just yet.  But this...could be really bad. 

If the entire episode lived up to the opening credits, this would have been the best episode ever.  That sequence was the best thing I have seen on this show.  Even my kids, who obviously did NOT live the '70s, were cracking up.  There has been a lot of feeling like the creative team are just taking a victory lap and pulling out all the stops to just have as much fun as possible making this final season, and that opening sequence followed in those footsteps big time.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3883 on: June 25, 2020, 09:47:16 AM »

It was bad enough for me to give up on it at the time.

Me too.  I'm watching it now and I'm midway though season 3 and the show is really good.   The issues with Season 1 (in paricularly the first half) were the characters were crap - or at least they were presented that way.   Coulson never really stood out in the Marvel movies for me, I didn't really care for him as a leader.  Fitzsimmons felt like kids, with stereotypical nerd persona's.  May was morose and Ward felt like a big bland boy scout.

Turns out May is fucking awesome, Ward had one of the best heel turns I've ever seen on TV (evil Ward is so much fun).  Fitzsimmons continue to evole in surprising and complex ways....and new characters like Hunter, Bobbi and Mac are great addictions. 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3884 on: June 25, 2020, 11:26:05 AM »
Those 70's-cop-show opening credits were awesome!  I already thought they were killing it with the era-appropriate title cards, and here we got a full sequence.  Bravo!

The episode itself I thought was fine.  I like how the little ripples have either been adding up more than we thought they would, or the Chronicoms just decided to up the stakes and start messing with things more directly.  Either way, we're scrambling to keep up.

I've heard people use the term "victory lap" here and on other boards, but I guess I misunderstood the term.  I always thought of the final season being a victory lap when it's obvious that they're just phoning it in.  Minimal effort required because it's over already.  What I'm seeing this season is them just saying Whiskey Tango Foxtrot and going nuts with the story, but IMO the quality of the show is still very good.  Apparently the budget has been cut again, resulting in fewer special effects, so Daisy actually being Quake was the first time in a while, and Yo-Yo is still just Elena as far as I'm concerned (but I never liked the name Yo-Yo anyway).  But I'm enjoying this season as much as any previous.  It's getting crazier, if anything, and I like that.