Author Topic: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe v2 (SPOILERS)  (Read 248428 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe v2 (SPOILERS)
« Reply #3640 on: January 21, 2020, 05:06:44 PM »
Ahhh... I dunno.  I'm kinda with Adami - Magneto's very being and essence is defined out of the Holocaust.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3641 on: January 21, 2020, 06:22:53 PM »
I had just read that Patrick Stewart confirmed that he had long talks with Kevin Feige about returning as Professor X in the MCU, but turned him down because he felt that the character's end in Logan was perfect.

Also read a theory that Doctor Strange and the Multiverse film is going to start laying the foundation or breadcrumbs for the X-Men to enter into the MCU.  Far From Home toyed with that idea, saying that Mysterio came from an alternate Earth.  So if Doctor Strange 2 confirms an actual Multiverse in the MCU, the X-Men can come from different earths where mutants exist.

Agents of Shield and Endgame both have time travel elements - maybe you can have a younger Magneto still appear in current times because of either a multiverse or time travel?

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3642 on: January 22, 2020, 06:30:16 AM »
I honestly wouldn't be opposed to them leaving the X-Men in an alternate timeline where all the other superheros don't exist. At least until it's time to a do a big crossover event like X-Men vs Avengers or something like that.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3643 on: January 22, 2020, 07:33:59 AM »
I honestly wouldn't be opposed to them leaving the X-Men in an alternate timeline where all the other superheros don't exist. At least until it's time to a do a big crossover event like X-Men vs Avengers or something like that.

That would be a great build-up to Phase 6.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3644 on: January 30, 2020, 05:58:34 PM »
We still gotta wedge in the Fantastic 4 as well. Personally I'd love to see Galactus as the big baddie in this round...with Doom as his little peeon.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3645 on: January 30, 2020, 08:38:22 PM »
I'm still waiting for a Fanastic Four movie that doesn't suck.  I mean, there have been at least three attempts that I know of, and every one of them sucked.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3646 on: February 03, 2020, 07:59:34 AM »
The Super Bowl spot for the upcoming Disney + shows was tasty.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3647 on: February 03, 2020, 08:04:42 AM »
The Super Bowl spot for the upcoming Disney + shows was tasty.

Indeed! Not much of Loki, but very intrigued by the WandaVision stuff.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3648 on: March 25, 2020, 11:01:40 PM »
Using the time off to go through the MCU movies again.

I've decided that I really like Dark World.   Like...I may even like it more than Ragnarok.   In fact, I think I liked the entire MCU more before they started listening to feedback from the public.   They just had an endgame (pun intended) and they were working towards it and damn the torpedoes.   

I just love the entire MCU period.   I'm just nervous about Phase 4.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #3649 on: March 26, 2020, 07:52:56 AM »
I've done the same thing, thanks to D+. And I agree, not really sure if Phase 4 can carry the torch, or match the epicness of what they accomplished so far.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3650 on: March 26, 2020, 08:18:31 AM »
Well, that's the rub, isn't it? If you go in with expectations that it's at all going to match the insanity of the Infinity War Saga, you're probably going to be disappointed no matter what. Who had expectations for Infinity War going into Iron Man 1? Not a single person, except that one guy somewhere who's got a wall of Marvel products from the 80s who finally got it right after 30 years of waiting.  :biggrin:

A lot of my friends are doing that same thing and I am begging them to let go of expectations and be accepting of something new. None of the original Avengers remain by the end of Endgame: Tony Stark and Black Widow are dead, Steve Rogers is an old fart who passed the Captain America torch to someone new, Bruce Banner has apparently permanently lost the use of one of his arms which although not discounting Hulk entirely severely cripples him, and Hawkeye-turned-Ronin is... a family guy now? He's always been the Meg of the Avengers anyway with his dorky arrows.  :loser:

I'm ready for a new 'big' story if they want to work up to that, and I'd prefer if they not try to match the epic insanity of the Infinity War/Thanos story. If they can organically latch onto ideas and deals and certain story beats that resonate with the audience over years and then steer it in that direction like they did with Infinity War, they might be able to pull it off, but even if they stick with something of a smaller scale, as long as they pull it off with as much gusto as they've done with almost all of the films to date, it'll be a good time. I just hope they don't try to shoehorn in a 'new Tony Stark' etc. for the new universe, which would be kind of lazy. Let Shuri and maybe still Banner latch onto the super heady science stuff, but Shuri doesn't have to be an almost omnipotent flying combat billionaire playboy philanthropist on top of it. :P Plus, not everyone from the first 3 phases is gone, plenty of them are sticking around, so there's a lot of connective tissue still there between the first epic saga and what's coming next. Stay optimistic!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Adami

« Reply #3651 on: March 26, 2020, 08:23:09 AM »
Well, that's the rub, isn't it? If you go in with expectations that it's at all going to match the insanity of the Infinity War Saga, you're probably going to be disappointed no matter what. Who had expectations for Infinity War going into Iron Man 1? Not a single person, except that one guy somewhere who's got a wall of Marvel products from the 80s who finally got it right after 30 years of waiting.  :biggrin:

A lot of my friends are doing that same thing and I am begging them to let go of expectations and be accepting of something new. None of the original Avengers remain by the end of Endgame: Tony Stark and Black Widow are dead, Steve Rogers is an old fart who passed the Captain America torch to someone new, Bruce Banner has apparently permanently lost the use of one of his arms which although not discounting Hulk entirely severely cripples him, and Hawkeye-turned-Ronin is... a family guy now? He's always been the Meg of the Avengers anyway with his dorky arrows.  :loser:

I'm ready for a new 'big' story if they want to work up to that, and I'd prefer if they not try to match the epic insanity of the Infinity War/Thanos story. If they can organically latch onto ideas and deals and certain story beats that resonate with the audience over years and then steer it in that direction like they did with Infinity War, they might be able to pull it off, but even if they stick with something of a smaller scale, as long as they pull it off with as much gusto as they've done with almost all of the films to date, it'll be a good time. I just hope they don't try to shoehorn in a 'new Tony Stark' etc. for the new universe, which would be kind of lazy. Let Shuri and maybe still Banner latch onto the super heady science stuff, but Shuri doesn't have to be an almost omnipotent flying combat billionaire playboy philanthropist on top of it. :P Plus, not everyone from the first 3 phases is gone, plenty of them are sticking around, so there's a lot of connective tissue still there between the first epic saga and what's coming next. Stay optimistic!

Totally agree.

It's a little like DT's 20+ min epics. Took years to get one, and we didn't know one was coming. Then when ACOS came out, were like WOAH! Then it took years and years for 8VM and no one saw it coming and again...WOAH. Then people just started wanting one every album. They became less special and became more of the benchmark. I feel like Endgame/Infinity War might become like that. It can't be the benchmark, it was its own unique thing. It took a decade to get there, and now people are upset that the next year or two won't contain something equally big. Patience. Maybe in 2029 or something we'll get something as big.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3652 on: March 26, 2020, 08:29:15 AM »
That's a great comparison, Adami.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #3653 on: March 26, 2020, 08:39:25 AM »

Totally agree.

It's a little like DT's 20+ min epics. Took years to get one, and we didn't know one was coming. Then when ACOS came out, were like WOAH! Then it took years and years for 8VM and no one saw it coming and again...WOAH. Then people just started wanting one every album. They became less special and became more of the benchmark. I feel like Endgame/Infinity War might become like that. It can't be the benchmark, it was its own unique thing. It took a decade to get there, and now people are upset that the next year or two won't contain something equally big. Patience. Maybe in 2029 or something we'll get something as big.

Very true. Plus, at least personally but It may be a generational general feeling as well, the whole MCU operation feels like an impossible dream come true for those who were kids in the 70's and 80's. Now we know it is possible, and when the main source of amazement is taken for granted, the bulk of what is left is expectations. Said this, I can't wait to see what they have in store for the mutants.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3654 on: March 26, 2020, 11:56:21 AM »
I don't even care if they never do anything with the mutants (which I know they will, of course).

I just watched X-Men: Dark Phoenix over the weekend, and it was fucking awful.

The best thing about Disney buying Fox is that Fox will not be making X or FF films anymore.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3655 on: March 26, 2020, 12:56:42 PM »
The story of Dark Phoenix could've been executed so much better.  My biggest beef is with the actors.  Such terrible casting outside of Fasbender and McIvoy... but then of course, what they did with the characters was despicable.

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #3656 on: March 26, 2020, 01:54:48 PM »
Dark Phoenix was a disgrace and an insult to Claremont. That's why I'm rooting for the new owners to revive the franchise.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3657 on: March 26, 2020, 02:57:06 PM »
I've seen a few X-Men movies and they were so bad they actively killed my interest in the X-Men as characters. I really don't think I can dig X-Men until Marvel brings them to life in the movies.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3658 on: March 26, 2020, 05:40:58 PM »
I've seen a few X-Men movies and they were so bad they actively killed my interest in the X-Men as characters. I really don't think I can dig X-Men until Marvel brings them to life in the movies.

1, 2, Days of Future Past and Logan are top tier.  I personally really like Last Stand as well.  First Class and The Wolverine get a B grade.  The rest are tripe.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3659 on: March 26, 2020, 06:37:19 PM »

1, 2, Days of Future Past and Logan are top tier.  I personally really like Last Stand as well.  First Class and The Wolverine get a B grade.  The rest are tripe.

Of those, I saw 1 and 2, Logan, First Class, and one of the Wolverines, can't remember which. I know they all pretty much sucked. I remember 2 being extremely bad (in part) because they still had not quite yet 'gotten it' with superhero outfits, and honestly, just looking at the trailers for the more recent ones, I don't think whoever handled the franchise ever made the outfits actually look cool. They always look like those crummy Netflix show outfits IMO.

Online Adami

« Reply #3660 on: March 26, 2020, 06:43:33 PM »
Logan sucked?  :'(
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #3661 on: March 26, 2020, 07:22:44 PM »
Yeah, what the hell. I'll admit that the villain is a bit boring, but Logan is top-tier.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3662 on: March 26, 2020, 08:16:55 PM »
I should clarify that I just never really dug X-Men to begin with. Even as a kid, the 90s cartoon show was always the 'well, nothing else is on' option for me.  (Spider-man for life, son) Logan just wasn't interesting to me; it wasn't bad like X2 was, but it was bad in other ways, like being boring (just my opinion). Marvel was able to make me care about nearly every character they introduced in their movies; the X-Men films are so distracting for one reason or another (distracting visual FX/costume design, bad acting, bad script, there's apparently retconning somewhere because of X3, dear god). I know they came before Marvel but I have yet to be impressed by X-Men (edit: on film)

I say all of that not to gloat about not liking X-Men but to emphasize that I want to like them and how confident I am in Marvel to do them justice. I can't wait to see who they include, and what stories they choose to tell, and who they get to play them. All of that makes such a difference, can you imagine the Dark Phoenix storyline if Marvel had built up to it? Oh man.

Online Adami

« Reply #3663 on: March 26, 2020, 08:20:36 PM »
Kittylox, I do not agree with most (though definitely not all) of what you said. But I can respect it and appreciate it.

HOWEVER

....you didn't like the 90's cartoon?

THAT is a criminal offense sir. And, according to the psychological experts is the defining characteristic of insanity.

I award you no points, and may god have mercy on your soul.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3664 on: March 26, 2020, 08:32:40 PM »
 :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3665 on: March 26, 2020, 08:51:08 PM »
Remind me to backhand you when I meet you then hug you.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3666 on: March 27, 2020, 05:57:06 AM »
I thought the X-Men movies for very good for the most part. The last two were pretty terrible...

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3667 on: March 27, 2020, 06:39:33 AM »
IMO, the only one that was good was Logan, which was VERY good.  The rest failed, on one or multiple levels.  Several were just awful.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #3668 on: March 27, 2020, 09:30:23 AM »
Logan was outstanding.

I enjoyed 1,2, DoFP, Last Stand for what they were, though I think 1 gets some credit for getting the whole superhero genre a re-boot.

Dark Phoenix should've never been released.

Offline H2

« Reply #3669 on: March 27, 2020, 09:41:45 AM »
I never watched the X-Men film series (except for the first one a loooong time ago). But I love the MCU. Is the series worth watching?

Online Adami

« Reply #3670 on: March 27, 2020, 09:43:17 AM »
I never watched the X-Men film series (except for the first one a loooong time ago). But I love the MCU. Is the series worth watching?

The series? No.

Select films? Definitely.

Those select films will vary from person to person, but they mostly seem to include X-2, Logan and DOFP. X-Men the first is a great one to watch just to get an introduction to the world. You can skip X-3, First Class (if you want, that one's optional), X-Men Origins: Wolverine, The Wolverine (optional again) and the last two.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3671 on: March 27, 2020, 09:51:56 AM »
I think Adami is spot on with the above - except that First Class is very important in setting up Days of Future Past.  On it's own, First Class is a decent film.

Online Adami

« Reply #3672 on: March 27, 2020, 09:54:25 AM »
Yea, I'll change my tune on First Class. I loved the first and last bits but didn't care much for the bulk of the movie. Despite that, it is pretty important to see before DOFP.

Also Deadpool! See Deadpool!

And Deadpool 2. Not as good, but still a ton of fun.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3673 on: March 29, 2020, 09:41:10 PM »
I actually decided to double back to the very beginning...but skip CA:TFA (because we had seen it fairly recently)... and starting with the entire Agent Carter series, I'm going to attempt over the next month to watch the ENTIRE MCU cannon in chronological order.   

I'm not guaranteeing I'm going to pull it off.   Even over the course of a month, burnout is possible.   But for now, I'm remembering how much I adore Agent Carter.   

And just as a side observation:  Can I say how very rare it is for a very (ahem) voluptuous woman to be treated as a serious badass?   Most women with a body like Hayley Atwell are cast as bimbos or comic relief...or both.    I actually have a pet peeve about the way Hollywood casts such women, and I find it extremely refreshing that someone of her stature is treated with respect and seriousness. 

I've never made a secret of the fact that I'm a fan of "top heavy" women...but I'm sick of seeing the actresses always relegated to stereotypical roles.   It's just another one (of many) reasons I'm a big fan of this show. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3674 on: April 02, 2020, 12:42:05 AM »

This is all correct. Kattelox is all wrong.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.