Author Topic: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe v2 (SPOILERS)  (Read 248431 times)

Offline gzarruk

Re: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe v2 (SPOILERS)
« Reply #3185 on: July 10, 2019, 10:43:35 PM »
DEFENDERS SPOILERS

OK, finished it last night.  So...I didn't realize that Danny actually opened the lock at the end of the last episode.  That fact alone makes everything else that happened just seem so...dumb.  There was a lot in this episode and series that I want to like, but man, this fact alone really takes me out of the moment.  And it also makes other deficiencies in the story stand out more (again, mostly involving Danny, such a his severely deficient fighting prowess, given that he trained for over a decade and underwent the trial to become an Iron Fist).  I'm actually kind of annoyed, because I feel like I invested a lot of time into something with a really poor payoff. 

Anyhow, the big fight scenes underground were cool.  Colleen taking out Bakuto was terrific justice.  Karen was great, as always.  JJ was probably my favorite character in this.  Pretty much every moment with her onscreen was gold.  But I dunno.  There were definitely some really cool moments.  But for every one of those, there was something dragging the whole thing down, too. 

I just remember thinking that Defenders felt rushed, like they didn’t have enough time to actually write a coherent/cohesive story, and I agree with your criticisms about it, it had such a poor payoff.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3186 on: July 12, 2019, 02:34:10 PM »
Few quick random MCU thoughts, I'll keep the Spider-Man spoiler thoughts in small text. I assume soon enough we can just discuss it.

1) The defenders characters. They go back to Marvel in 2 years or so. Should they recast and just be blatant that the Netflix stuff never existed in MCU or keep the same actors? Personally, I would love those actors making appearances. They don't need their own movies necessarily, but some appearances would be cool.

2) What do people think Phase 4 will be? Obviously Black Widow movie, GOTG 3 and stuff, but what about the less obvious? They will likely announce a lot next week, but any predictions beyond the obvious?

3) So Fury was a Skrull in Spider-Man, and then we see the real fury. We never saw the real Maria Hill..........is there even a real Maria Hill? Any thoughts on Maria Hill ALWAYS having been a Skrull?

4) So did Spider-Man confirm that Cap is legit dead? People seem to be skipping over that part.

5) I hope the intensity and amazingness of the mid-credits scene in Far From Home doesn't make people forget the rest of the movie. The movie itself was amazing. But almost all of the discussion is entirely about the JJJ reveal and stuff.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3187 on: July 12, 2019, 03:35:28 PM »
I thoroughly enjoyed Far From Home. I liked Homecoming, but for me personally this was far superior. The post credit scenes are both integral to the film itself, I like how both make you rethink the film in certain aspects. Good villain as well, and I thought the twists were well done. And my hats of to the cgi artists, this film is one of the best looking MCU films.

I think Tom Holland is the best on screen Spider-Man by a huge margin btw.

The school trip totally reminded me of my school trip to Paris back in the day  :lol Shoddy hotels, uncomfortable bus trips, cultural visits none of us teenagers were waiting for,  teachers awkwardly trying to manage keeping the groups intact etc. Made me nostalgic. And as a Dutch person, one section was really cool and out of the blue.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3188 on: July 12, 2019, 03:39:03 PM »
I thought Shang-Chi was confirmed in development for phase 4 too? I can't wait to see what Marvel does with a martial arts flick. I don't know anything about it but I've said for a while it would be cool if they got people who did the Ong-Bak films and that kinda stuff because the action is just insane in those films.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3189 on: July 12, 2019, 05:06:49 PM »
Oh yeah, the mid-credits scene from Far From Home.  Fun.  I don't know if it's super-critical to the ongoing story arcs, but it was a good scene.

Online Adami

« Reply #3190 on: July 12, 2019, 05:37:17 PM »
Oh yeah, the mid-credits scene from Far From Home.  Fun.  I don't know if it's super-critical to the ongoing story arcs, but it was a good scene.

Ummmm it’s super important to Spider-Mans story arc.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #3191 on: July 12, 2019, 06:25:39 PM »
I thoroughly enjoyed Far From Home. I liked Homecoming, but for me personally this was far superior. The post credit scenes are both integral to the film itself, I like how both make you rethink the film in certain aspects. Good villain as well, and I thought the twists were well done. And my hats of to the cgi artists, this film is one of the best looking MCU films.

I think Tom Holland is the best on screen Spider-Man by a huge margin btw.

The school trip totally reminded me of my school trip to Paris back in the day  :lol Shoddy hotels, uncomfortable bus trips, cultural visits none of us teenagers were waiting for,  teachers awkwardly trying to manage keeping the groups intact etc. Made me nostalgic. And as a Dutch person, one section was really cool and out of the blue.

I guess the villain was ok, but then again it was at least the 3rd time the villain was a disgruntled Stark employee.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3192 on: July 12, 2019, 09:19:41 PM »

I honestly can't see how, but I guess we'll see.  I thought it was an amusing scene, but basically fluff.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3193 on: July 12, 2019, 09:24:46 PM »
I think they got *there* way too fast. I mean, they obviously wouldn't have done it if they didn't already have the outcome planned in advance, but I feel like they could've done at least a third movie, developing more the character in a different way, before going that route at the end of the second movie.

Yes, I'm keeping the post really vague because I don't want to spoil anything.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online Adami

« Reply #3194 on: July 12, 2019, 09:34:19 PM »

I honestly can't see how, but I guess we'll see.  I thought it was an amusing scene, but basically fluff.

1. The whole world knows that Spider-Man is Peter Parker. Life is forever changed.
2. The whole world thinks that Spider-Man is a murderous villain. Life is ruined.

Seems pretty important.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3195 on: July 13, 2019, 04:55:50 AM »
I think they got *there* way too fast. I mean, they obviously wouldn't have done it if they didn't already have the outcome planned in advance, but I feel like they could've done at least a third movie, developing more the character in a different way, before going that route at the end of the second movie.

But here's the thing... *that* topic from the mid-credits scene was a key part of Mysterio's storyline in the comics, so it made absolute sense to have it with this movie.  And Adami's 2nd point is the life mission of *that* other person.

IMO, the mid-credits scene was absolute perfection.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3196 on: July 13, 2019, 08:35:55 AM »

But here's the thing... *that* topic from the mid-credits scene was a key part of Mysterio's storyline in the comics, so it made absolute sense to have it with this movie.  And Adami's 2nd point is the life mission of *that* other person.

IMO, the mid-credits scene was absolute perfection.

Well, you’re right, I guess I just didn’t see it coming and have no idea how they’ll find a new “normal” for the character afterwards. But they’ll totally manage to “fix” that, for sure.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3197 on: July 13, 2019, 09:23:21 AM »

1. The whole world knows that Spider-Man is Peter Parker. Life is forever changed.
2. The whole world thinks that Spider-Man is a murderous villain. Life is ruined.

Seems pretty important.

Okay, I'm apparently completely fucked up on which scenes are which.

I thought the mid-credits scene was Happy is or is not dating Aunt May. Cute and fluffy, but not critical.

and the post-credits scene was Fury and Hill were Skrulls the whole time.  Somewhat more interesting.

but I also remember The Daily Bugle and JJJ now.  I'd forgotten about that.  But there were only two "extra" scenes, so I'm way confused.  Reality no longer has any meaning.  Time and space are meaningless human constructs created in a futile attempt to impose order on a chaotic universe.  And on top of all that, we're out of peanut butter.  What the fuck.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3198 on: July 13, 2019, 09:41:59 AM »

Seems pretty important.

I thought the mid-credits scene was Happy is or is not dating Aunt May. Cute and fluffy, but not critical.

and the post-credits scene was Fury and Hill were Skrulls the whole time.  Somewhat more interesting.

but I also remember The Daily Bugle and JJJ now.  I'd forgotten about that.  But there were only two "extra" scenes, so I'm way confused.  Reality no longer has any meaning.  Time and space are meaningless human constructs created in a futile attempt to impose order on a chaotic universe.  And on top of all that, we're out of peanut butter.  What the fuck.

The May is dating thing was just a cute setup, the whole point of the first post-credit scene is that Spider-Man is now framed for the murder of the "hero" Mysterio and that he ordered the drone attacks. And his identity was revealed to the public. This likely means that Peter Parker/Spider-Man will become a major fugutive in the next film or next Avengers. And just his identity being known means his whole social life will drastically change. Traditionally Spider-Man is a kid/student trying to balance a normal life with superhero stuff, with all the moral challenges that come with it. This twist takes away that dynamic and will present Peter with challenges that have not been explored in all of those Spidey films.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3199 on: July 13, 2019, 09:50:38 AM »

Seems pretty important.

The May is dating thing was just a cute setup, the whole point of the first post-credit scene is that Spider-Man is now framed for the murder of the "hero" Mysterio and that he ordered the drone attacks. And his identity was revealed to the public. This likely means that Peter Parker/Spider-Man will become a major fugutive in the next film or next Avengers. And just his identity being known means his whole social life will drastically change. Traditionally Spider-Man is a kid/student trying to balance a normal life with superhero stuff, with all the moral challenges that come with it. This twist takes away that dynamic and will present Peter with challenges that have not been explored in all of those Spidey films.

Yeah, that's definitely more of a game-changer.  So the scene I thought was mid-credits was at the end of the movie proper?  One last chuckle before the credits roll?

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3200 on: July 13, 2019, 10:05:15 AM »
Yes
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3201 on: July 13, 2019, 12:42:29 PM »

Seems pretty important.

Exactly.

Online faizoff

« Reply #3202 on: July 14, 2019, 05:16:28 PM »
So watched Deadpool 2 again for like the severalth time.

Spoliers below obviously...

I cannot believe I never caught the shot of Juggernaut coming out of the pool right as the gang walk past the camera at the very end scene just before the credits start rolling.

I wonder what is going to happen with Deadpool's movie treatment, not sure if the X-force movie is still happening.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3203 on: July 14, 2019, 11:00:05 PM »
Didn't see a thread for it so I'm just posting in here... FINALLY saw Into the Spider-verse tonight. Holy cow, that blew away my expectations. Extremely entertaining movie, and the last 30 minutes was some of the most colorful stuff I've seen on screen. It was almost too much at times, but in a good way, the most comic book-y animated film I've ever seen. So good I might even pick it up on Blu-ray.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online faizoff

« Reply #3204 on: July 15, 2019, 05:33:10 AM »
I bought the blu-ray of Spider-verse, it's totally worth it. The extras are great and there's a commentary on the main movie track. There is a bonus alternate universe mode as well that includes the movie with outtakes and other bits and pieces. My biggest regret is not watching the movie in the theater, it would've been an amazing experience.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #3205 on: July 15, 2019, 07:57:47 AM »

Seems pretty important.

1. This could easily be explained away with the use of the Skrulls. Have a scene with a skrull posing as Peter Parker and have the real Spidey swing by (or be in another place) or maybe it's a hallucination or something. I wouldn't even be surprised by the time we get to the next Spidey movie if this was resolved off screen in between movies.
2. Spider-Man having the world against him isn't really that weird I mean it's kinda his thing that he helps people even though many of them fear him or see him as a villain.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3206 on: July 15, 2019, 09:15:52 PM »
Just saw Homecoming. Liked it, but not as much as most of you.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3207 on: July 15, 2019, 10:33:18 PM »
Just saw Homecoming. Liked it, but not as much as most of you.

Wait. ....Homecoming? 

You just saw the first one that came out 2 years ago?
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3208 on: July 16, 2019, 07:57:11 AM »
Sorry, I meant Far From Home*. So, here is what I liked:

- Graphics were really cool. I liked the direction they went to with the story. At first I thought the whole "Alternate universe" thing was gonna be real, but I am glad it was not. Both of the pots credit scenes were great, Specially the one with Fury hinting at whats coming next. Ned was hilarious in this movie.

Here is what I did not like:

- As cool as the graphics were, at times the CGI looked bad. I understand this is its own movie, but it did not feel like a good follow up to end game, and except for the airplane scene, you didn't really feel the trauma/pain Peter was going through. They could've done a lot more with the snap and people that came back, but instead the made it into a cheap joke.

Overall a good movie, I enjoyed it. I am just nitpicking here.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3210 on: July 16, 2019, 09:34:59 PM »
So Thor 4 confirmed...

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/taika-waititi-direct-thor-4-1224464

Interesting, but isn’t Thor going to appear in GOTG 3 before that? I know that hasn’t been “officially” confirmed, but that’s what they led us to believe in Endgame :eek

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3211 on: July 17, 2019, 08:45:35 AM »
Saw FFH last night.  I liked it.  A LOT.  It pretty much did everything right as far as what one could reasonably want from a Spiderman movie.  Nothing about it that I didn't like.  And it was fun that it sort of had that European spy thriller feel for a good chunk of it. 

What it did NOT do (through no fault of its own) is get me excited for phase 4.  Yeah, I thought the Skrull bit was a great fakeout, and was just overall pretty cool.  But I'm also not super compelled by the secret invasion plotline either.  Not that there's anything wrong with it.  I'm not against it in any way, shape, or form.  It just doesn't get me "excited."  Perhaps part of that is due to the fact that, although the Skrull plotline was one of the best things about Captain Marvel, that film didn't thrill me as a whole and is probably my second least favorite in the franchise.  And I think the other part of it is simply that I'm finally feeling Marvel fatigue.  The first three phases, as a whole, were brilliant.  But now I'm just kind of feeling done.  I mean, I'll still likely see everything, or at least almost everything, they put out.  But depending on the film, I may or may not go out and see it in the first couple of weeks, and I might even just wait for home release for some of them.

Some notes/questions about Mysterio:  First off, the effects and overall look of this character were incredible.  Really well done.   :tup  So, did anyone REALLY think he wasn't going to be a bad guy?  The only thing that made me slightly doubt was the fact that he had Fury completely in his corner.  But COME ON!  I did think his bar monologue and explaining who each member of his team was to his team was kinda dumb.  But whatever.  So...is he really dead?  Or I guess the better question is:  Did he fake his death, or did his crew put that video together?   I can't decide.
 Oh, and while we're on the subject of his death, I'm SUPER pissed at New Rock Stars for totally spoiling that by having "Mysterio's death" in the title of one of their analysis videos.  I'm so angry at them that I'm legitimately thinking of unsubscribing to their YouTube channel.

EDITH:  SUPER lame of Peter to give up EDITH so easily to someone he barely knew.  The whole time, you just KNEW it was the wrong move.  And I had to suspend belief to think Peter would be that dumb.  But to the film's credit, I felt Peter's angst over just wanting to have a normal life and relationships with MJ and his friends, and how distracted he was over all of that, I didn't have to suspend belief TOO much.   

Speaking of which, I think they just did an overall fantastic job of capturing the teenage angst over everyday trivialities and making it engaging.  Pretty much everything Peter and his friends went through on that trip was simultaneously relatable and eyerolling. 

Overall, really good, fun film.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #3212 on: July 17, 2019, 10:01:06 AM »
I'll admit... I would be pretty bummed if Thor isn't in GotG 3. He has become my favourite Avenger.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online faizoff

« Reply #3213 on: July 17, 2019, 10:08:03 AM »
With Thor having his own movie now I imagine he can just be a throwaway line in GOTG 3.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3214 on: July 17, 2019, 10:13:04 AM »
With Thor having his own movie now I imagine he can just be a throwaway line in GOTG 3.

*ship is flying through space*
Drax: I have not seen the fat pirate in some time.
Rocket: Yea he's been gettin' intimate with that Bowflex in the gym since he stepped on the ship. All he's done for the last six weeks.

:lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3215 on: July 17, 2019, 10:21:46 AM »
Saw FFH last night.  I liked it.  A LOT.  It pretty much did everything right as far as what one could reasonably want from a Spiderman movie.  Nothing about it that I didn't like.  And it was fun that it sort of had that European spy thriller feel for a good chunk of it. 

What it did NOT do (through no fault of its own) is get me excited for phase 4.  Yeah, I thought the Skrull bit was a great fakeout, and was just overall pretty cool.  But I'm also not super compelled by the secret invasion plotline either.  Not that there's anything wrong with it.  I'm not against it in any way, shape, or form.  It just doesn't get me "excited."  Perhaps part of that is due to the fact that, although the Skrull plotline was one of the best things about Captain Marvel, that film didn't thrill me as a whole and is probably my second least favorite in the franchise.  And I think the other part of it is simply that I'm finally feeling Marvel fatigue.  The first three phases, as a whole, were brilliant.  But now I'm just kind of feeling done.  I mean, I'll still likely see everything, or at least almost everything, they put out.  But depending on the film, I may or may not go out and see it in the first couple of weeks, and I might even just wait for home release for some of them.

Some notes/questions about Mysterio:  First off, the effects and overall look of this character were incredible.  Really well done.   :tup  So, did anyone REALLY think he wasn't going to be a bad guy?  The only thing that made me slightly doubt was the fact that he had Fury completely in his corner.  But COME ON!  I did think his bar monologue and explaining who each member of his team was to his team was kinda dumb.  But whatever.  So...is he really dead?  Or I guess the better question is:  Did he fake his death, or did his crew put that video together?   I can't decide.
 Oh, and while we're on the subject of his death, I'm SUPER pissed at New Rock Stars for totally spoiling that by having "Mysterio's death" in the title of one of their analysis videos.  I'm so angry at them that I'm legitimately thinking of unsubscribing to their YouTube channel.

EDITH:  SUPER lame of Peter to give up EDITH so easily to someone he barely knew.  The whole time, you just KNEW it was the wrong move.  And I had to suspend belief to think Peter would be that dumb.  But to the film's credit, I felt Peter's angst over just wanting to have a normal life and relationships with MJ and his friends, and how distracted he was over all of that, I didn't have to suspend belief TOO much.   

Speaking of which, I think they just did an overall fantastic job of capturing the teenage angst over everyday trivialities and making it engaging.  Pretty much everything Peter and his friends went through on that trip was simultaneously relatable and eyerolling. 

Overall, really good, fun film.

Pretty much all of this. I was really impressed at how well Phase 4 is starting out, but still not sure how excited I am for the bigger story yet.  Love the way they capture relatable teenage issues.

"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Adami

« Reply #3216 on: July 17, 2019, 10:28:34 AM »
None of you can be too excited for the phase 4 story since no one knows what it is.

They have essentially made phases 1-3 their own thing and phase 4 will just be the start of something new that they will hopefully reveal Friday at SDCC.

Spider-man wasn't meant to build hype for phase 4 as much as the future of Spider-Man alone.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3217 on: July 17, 2019, 10:36:42 AM »
The film as a whole wasn't meant to build hype for phase 4.  But the end credits scene was. 

But anyway, yeah, I agree that we don't know much about where Marvel is going next.  I'm just saying that, as of right now, I'm not that excited about it.  Or maybe more accurately, my excitement is tempered.  They did tremendously with the universe and character building up to this point.  But this many films in, I'm just starting to feel a bit of Marvel exhaustion now that the infinity saga has finally wrapped.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Adami

« Reply #3218 on: July 17, 2019, 10:38:32 AM »
The film as a whole wasn't meant to build hype for phase 4.  But the end credits scene was. 

But anyway, yeah, I agree that we don't know much about where Marvel is going next.  I'm just saying that, as of right now, I'm not that excited about it.  Or maybe more accurately, my excitement is tempered.  They did tremendously with the universe and character building up to this point.  But this many films in, I'm just starting to feel a bit of Marvel exhaustion now that the infinity saga has finally wrapped.

That's totally fair.

I'm not sure how the Skrull thing will play into phase 4. Obviously everyone is thinking Secret Invasion, but since that had Skrulls as enemies and this has them as allies, I'm not so sure that's a reasonable guess. I am just remaining open.

But yea, I get the fatigue. I'm not there, personally, but if they took 2020 off....I'd be okay with that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3219 on: July 17, 2019, 10:48:43 AM »
One more note on FFH, somewhat-related to what we were just talking about.

I have seen some comments critical of the fact that Mysterio and his crew were disgruntled Stark minions.  I actually thought that was quite fitting for this specific film.  This film feels like it is trying to deal with and bring closure to the aftermath of both Stark and Thanos, and in a world dealing with NOT having Stark, I think it was actually quite fitting that his fingerprints were all over everything that happened.  It just felt right for the final film of this phase.