Author Topic: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe v2 (SPOILERS)  (Read 248631 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe v2 (SPOILERS)
« Reply #3150 on: June 27, 2019, 11:33:09 AM »
jingle.kids and I are contemplating seeing it Sunday night, but it's being showed in the tier-2 cinema chain up here (I'd actually never heard of them before this).  Small crappy theatres, so we're on the fence.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3151 on: June 27, 2019, 11:41:37 AM »
As much as I liked the movie, not sure I am ready to see it for the third time in 2 months, even if it has bonus scenes. I am more excited about Spider-man next week, even though I will have to wait 2 weeks to see it.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3152 on: June 27, 2019, 11:46:15 AM »
The rerelease doesn't have enough new stuff in it for me to bother seeing it a third time in the theaters. It's a blatent cash grab and I'd rather not participate.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3153 on: June 27, 2019, 11:53:04 AM »
Wow not much discussion about the re-release of Endgame with bonus footage.

I think it's due to we all know it's a 'money grab' to overtake AVATAR. They'll probably throw in that cut scene of Tony running into his 'future' daughter......and another fan appeasing tid bit or two....but it's just the final attempt to 'take the lead' .

Nope.

I heard it's an unfinished scene, probably with the Hulk, but definitely not Tony and Morgan.

Yea, the re-release is a bit odd to be honest. I know I'm not going.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3154 on: June 27, 2019, 12:08:32 PM »
I was initially excited but when I found out there's literally only one extra scene (not counting the stuff in the credits), I immediately lost interest. Love Endgame but I saw it a few times and I really don't feel like sitting through 3 hours just for one extra scene - I'll catch it on the Blu-ray.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3155 on: June 27, 2019, 01:14:13 PM »
I was initially excited but when I found out there's literally only one extra scene (not counting the stuff in the credits), I immediately lost interest. Love Endgame but I saw it a few times and I really don't feel like sitting through 3 hours just for one extra scene - I'll catch it on the Blu-ray.

Yeah, considering the Blu-Ray is coming out in 5 weeks, Spidey next week, and it's playing in shit theatres...  I'm not overly eager to see it a 4th time in theatres - even at $11.  Everything after opening night IMAX is a lunch-bag letdown.  Bluray home theatre treatment is the next best thing at this point.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Adami

« Reply #3156 on: June 27, 2019, 03:46:25 PM »
So early reviews of Far From Home are very good.

Apparently, without anyone giving away spoilers, reviewers have said that you must see the two end credits scenes, and that they are extremely important.

So I guess we ain't getting a Howard the Duck or Captain America instructional type scene haha.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3157 on: June 27, 2019, 03:50:57 PM »
All I know is that Spidey dropped 'multiverse' in the trailer and I'm hyped. I wonder what the credits scenes are that they're so important. Holland only signed up for... 3 solo Spidey films, right? I would LOVE if Marvel does something with Doc Oc again - it's been long enough - or even the Sinister Six, since that Spider-man game from last year was such a huge hit. I didn't play it but it looked like one iteration of the Six was in it. EDIT: But unless Holland extended his contract I'm not sure they'd be doing something that enormous. Amazing Spider-man 2 strongly hinted at the Six and I've been blue balled ever since they bailed on that.

I'm guessing it's absolutely NOT Woody Harrelson in a red wig though.  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3158 on: June 28, 2019, 10:54:24 PM »
Giving Into the Spiderverse another whirl, such a brilliantly made movie.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3159 on: June 29, 2019, 04:28:07 PM »
Anyone gone to see the Endgame rerelease? The descriptions of the extra content sound underwhelming to me. Wondering if anyone thought I was worth going to.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3160 on: July 01, 2019, 03:23:05 PM »
Anyone gone to see the Endgame rerelease? The descriptions of the extra content sound underwhelming to me. Wondering if anyone thought I was worth going to.

Unlikely.  I loved the movie.  But I can't see spending money to see it yet again in the theater, unless I were to hear that the extra scenes are really important and are exclusive and not available on the eventual home release.  Just hoping it passes Avatar soon.

In other Marvel news, I finally started watching The Defenders this past week.  I am almost halfway (in the middle of the Chinese restaurant episode).  Really liking it so far.  I like that I know little about Alexandra other than what we learn from other characters, but that is more than enough.  For instance, Gao basically kowtowing to her (pun intended) speaks volumes.  There is still a ton of mystery about her character, and yet I feel like I know enough about her for her character to feel very real and menacing.  I'm also really liking the interaction between the four main heroes.  The relationship is so far less than ideal in terms of what it needs to be for them to function together.  But it is so incredibly ideal in terms of entertainment.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3161 on: July 01, 2019, 04:25:44 PM »
JJ was quite excellent, they brought Trish's character down a few notches, then let her fucking fly. Really good job on the development of the story throughout. Really bummed the Netflix phase is over, I still feel it was the best quality Marvel product out there storywise.

I finished with JJ Season 3 Sunday and I agree that it was excellent, Lonestar. I think more than any of the other Netflix/Marvel shows, I'll miss Jessica Jones the most. The focus on investigation and regular folks learning to cope in a "powered people" world resonated with me more than some of the other shows. Of course, for just straight gritty action and larger than life characters, Daredevil was the best.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3162 on: July 01, 2019, 11:25:24 PM »
Daredevil and Jessica Jones were both amazing (slightly weaker second seasons but brilliant first and third), and the Punisher was very strong too. The other shows all ended up solid as well, but not at the same level as those ones.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Adami

« Reply #3163 on: July 02, 2019, 07:46:26 AM »
So I think Far From Home drops today?

I can't see it til Friday, so just wanted to get a general idea.....should I completely avoid this thread or are we going to small font or whatever spoilers? Either way works, just helps to know so I don't accidentally see anything.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3164 on: July 02, 2019, 07:48:12 AM »
I think it's safe to avoid thread until you see the movie, unless there is some sort of spoiler ban.

I won't be able to watch the movie until the week of July 15.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3165 on: July 02, 2019, 07:57:54 AM »

I can't see it til Friday, so just wanted to get a general idea.....should I completely avoid this thread or are we going to small font or whatever spoilers? Either way works, just helps to know so I don't accidentally see anything.

jingle.kids and I have tickets for 8pm.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3166 on: July 02, 2019, 08:25:05 AM »

I think small font should be sufficient, since that's what we almost always do anyway.  But if anyone wants to do anything different, let me know.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3167 on: July 02, 2019, 08:32:51 AM »

I think small font should be sufficient, since that's what we almost always do anyway.  But if anyone wants to do anything different, let me know.

Works for me

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3168 on: July 02, 2019, 02:00:15 PM »

We could have a separated thread with SPOILERS and then you can merged it as you did with Endgame

Online faizoff

« Reply #3169 on: July 02, 2019, 05:40:22 PM »
At the theater now and have to wade through 30 minutes of trailers....
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online faizoff

« Reply #3170 on: July 02, 2019, 08:52:54 PM »
.... and sit unfortunately near a loud group of hormonal teenagers.

The movie was very fun as is to be expected by now. Just as funny as the first previous one but a bit grander in scale in terms of visuals and action.
Story was quite well done I have to say and the two end credit scenes were probably the best ones I think IMO in all the Marvel movies so far.

Need to try and catch it in Dolby.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3171 on: July 03, 2019, 05:53:59 AM »
^ I'll agree with that.

The character reveal in the mid-credit scene got a great pop in the theatre.  The revelation in the end-credit scene is a terrific setup for endless possibilities of Phase 4.

Couple of minor quips about the 'threat/danger' of the film (I wasn't really bought off on how quickly the team could modify/reprogram the illusions/holograms - especially the scene in Berlin).  And for those that had a beef with the complexity and intricacies of Helmut's plan in Civil War, there will likely be some eyerolling on this one.  And why wouldn't Beck have disabled Peter's access to EDITH??.  And these kids have to be real f'n stupid to NOT realize that Peter is Spider-Man - Spidey is everywhere they are when there's an emergency, and Peter is never around when Spidey saves the day.  I mean, c'mon.

I'm not sure if I like this version of MJ or not.  On one hand I kinda dig it, but it's so far off-base from what we think of MJ from the comics.

Online faizoff

« Reply #3172 on: July 03, 2019, 07:34:56 AM »
True those are minor quips and I think they sorta address it with Peter casually mentioning "who else knows?" I too had some issues here and there but overall I don't think it really detracted much from the overall enjoyment of the movie for me.

The visuals for some of the scenes were just breathtaking. They really upped the VFX for this movie, I really really want to see it in Dolby now.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3173 on: July 04, 2019, 06:16:03 AM »
Really enjoyed Far from Home. Oddly the movie started without any trailers and I missed the first few minutes, which was annoying.

Spoilers:
I'm really glad the whole multiverse thing turned out to be a hoax by Mysterio. I just don't see how the multiverse could be explained or pulled off in a way that didn't lead to tons of plot holes and inconsistencies. They've already opened that can of worms with the time travel in Endgame, I'm glad they didn't dig themselves an even bigger hole.

I'm not sure if I like this version of MJ or not.  On one hand I kinda dig it, but it's so far off-base from what we think of MJ from the comics.
I like her. She's clearly not meant to be the MJ in the comics, though I'm not sure why they didn't give a completely different initials since she's not Mary Jane. I was turned off by the fact that the actress who plays her goes by a single name (Zendaya). Though admittedly I have no idea who she is apart from the Spiderman movies, so maybe she's done something to deserve being able to pull off a single name.

Online faizoff

« Reply #3174 on: July 04, 2019, 06:45:08 AM »
Regarding the spoiler part of your text, I didn't even know it was a thing so when it first came up I was WOW nice! I'm glad I don't watch trailers so I enjoyed the ride of that plot.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #3175 on: July 04, 2019, 07:01:56 PM »
JAMESON!!!!!!!!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3176 on: July 04, 2019, 09:50:56 PM »
Just saw the movie, it was great and funny! Still trying to understand what the post credit scenes mean moving forward :omg:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline H2

« Reply #3177 on: July 05, 2019, 06:37:18 PM »
Fantastic, a top-tier MCU film. I'd say up there with Civil War, Winter Soldier, and Iron Man. Love the cast. Those visual effects during certain scenes, too. And that post-credit scene. *gasp*

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #3178 on: July 06, 2019, 05:23:22 PM »
Outstanding film, seems they don't plan on slowing down post Endgame.

Online Adami

« Reply #3179 on: July 06, 2019, 07:54:17 PM »
Loved the movie. Really loved it.

I see people complaining about the first half, but I thought the humor was great, characters were great, acting, all of it was just great.

This was just a tightly written and direct movie. I could see cutting a few minutes out of it, but over all it was well paced as well.

Tom Holland is just such a great Spider-Man and Peter Parker. He brought his A game to this and I don't want another actor in this role.

I won't get into spoilers, but that mid-credits scene made me applaud, and the post-credits scene was....interesting. Didn't expect any of that stuff at all.

But yea, a lot of it has been said. It's amazing.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #3180 on: July 06, 2019, 08:05:34 PM »
Yeah the last post credit scene was all sorts of wtf...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3181 on: July 09, 2019, 03:01:43 PM »
DEFENDERS SPOILERS

Just finished ep. 7 last night and hope to finish the series tonight. 

Overall, I'm liking the series.  It is enjoyable.  But it does have some flaws.  My problems with it:

1.  The defenders themselves seem at times inconsistent from how they would act or have acted in their previous solo series.  There were multiple times when I was like, "Wait, no, that character wouldn't do/say that." 

2.  Stick fits into the above.  But he also just doesn't seem...believable any more.  His whole character seems like it was writers who didn't know how to write him read a summary of what his character was about, and tried to go off of that. 

3.  Electra/Black Sky.  Here's a REALLY good summary of how I feel:

It was clear that Black Sky was being set up as a much bigger deal and it was linked to the giant hole. Nobu had a map with "Black Sky" written over the property. He also tried to make Elektra the Hand's leader.

But they didn't do anything with Black Sky in Defenders. The whole idea of Black Sky being Alexandra's prophecy was just so random and nonsensical. Where did Alexandra get the prophecy? What is the prophecy? How come Nobu was trying to acquire the Black Sky and was ready to worship Elektra if he was Murakami's lieutenant and Murakami didn't even believe in the prophecy?

And in the end, why did they even need the Black Sky? What were her powers?

This kinda bugs me.

That said, there is a lot that I like.  It's just kind of a fun story.  I wasn't expecting Alexandra to die either.  That was rather shocking.  She has been a great character, for the most part.  I did find this criticism a bit funny:

She's going down as a mostly theoretical antagonist who felt perpetually about to do something meaningful but ultimately never got around to it. Always a potentially good threat, but never actually one.

Yeah, that's kinda accurate.  She never actually does a whole lot.  But she's always about to.  And when she does, look out!  Because it's going to...be really something.  :lol  But that's also kind of what is cool about her character.  You know a lot more about her from the way others react to her than by what you see her doing, and that makes her a lot more mysterious and cool.  IMO.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #3182 on: July 10, 2019, 04:36:14 AM »
Pretty much my entire problem with that show. Started off nice enough, but the actions of the characters seemed so irrational so often and, indeed, inconsistent with the way they were portrayed in their own series it all got a bit lost on me towards the end, to be honest. The fact that it didn't get renewed said enough at the time.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3183 on: July 10, 2019, 07:05:24 AM »
Saw Far From Home over the weekend.  It was pretty good.  Lots of fun, things moving quickly enough that you don't stop to think about whether or not any of it makes sense, a little drama and a little humor along the way, typical MCU movie.  I knew the name Mysterio and that's about it, so even though it was pretty obvious that Beck was not going to be what he said he was, the way he was doing it was an interesting twist for me.  Reminded me of Syndrome from The Incredibles.  He created threats so he could solve them and be the hero.  No Capes!

The post-credits scene was interesting and a little confusing.  Orbertson reminded us (myself and Mrs. Orbert) that we hadn't seen Captain Marvel yet.  Oh yeah, kinda forgot about her.  So we watched Captain Marvel on demand and got that figured out.  We've seen every MCU movie now, in order, except Captain Marvel, so it was fun watching it and having to remind myself that even though the movie is set in the past, it was released right before Endgame and thus before Far From Home as well.  So now we understand the Far From Home post-credits scene better, but there's obviously more that we don't know.  Like, where are Fury's shoes?

I liked Captain Marvel, apparently more than most people.  I liked that we the audience were led to empathize with the Kree at first, which was a twist after knowing them as Bad Guys.  But the Skrulls are the bad guys here, and hey, most Bad Guys don't think of themselves as the Bad Guys, so to them, the Skrulls are the Bad Guys.  But it slowly twisted around, and I thought it was quite well done.  We learned more and figured it out, along with Carol, who had more to figure out as well.  Since it was a three-day rental, we watched it again the next day and got even more out of it.  So yeah, she's a bit dry, not much personality, but I thought she was fine and yeah it helped that she's cute.  Jude Law was obviously going to turn out to be an asshole, but then most Kree apparently are assholes anyway.  It was almost an "origin story" for Fury, with how much backstory we got on him, also Korath (one of my favorite bad guys from Guardians of the Galaxy) and even a little Coulson.  With the non-linear narrative, the second viewing helped me appreciate the story (and the writing) better.  I thought it was okay at first, and pretty good the second time.

I'm still amazed at how well they've woven together all the pieces of the MCU.  You never know what's going to connect to what.  What an incredible cinematic undertaking, and what an incredible achievement.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3184 on: July 10, 2019, 01:56:51 PM »
DEFENDERS SPOILERS

OK, finished it last night.  So...I didn't realize that Danny actually opened the lock at the end of the last episode.  That fact alone makes everything else that happened just seem so...dumb.  There was a lot in this episode and series that I want to like, but man, this fact alone really takes me out of the moment.  And it also makes other deficiencies in the story stand out more (again, mostly involving Danny, such a his severely deficient fighting prowess, given that he trained for over a decade and underwent the trial to become an Iron Fist).  I'm actually kind of annoyed, because I feel like I invested a lot of time into something with a really poor payoff. 

Anyhow, the big fight scenes underground were cool.  Colleen taking out Bakuto was terrific justice.  Karen was great, as always.  JJ was probably my favorite character in this.  Pretty much every moment with her onscreen was gold.  But I dunno.  There were definitely some really cool moments.  But for every one of those, there was something dragging the whole thing down, too.