Author Topic: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe v2 (SPOILERS)  (Read 248370 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe *SPOILERS* 2
« Reply #2625 on: April 17, 2019, 06:49:42 AM »
I'm always amazed how people are able to do that.  To put your job on the line.  Not worth it in my book.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2626 on: April 17, 2019, 06:57:55 AM »
Apparently some jackhole leaked a 5 minute section of Avengers: Endgame.

AVOID.

Some people just want to watch the world burn.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #2627 on: April 17, 2019, 07:18:23 AM »
It's five minutes of clips from the movie, it's not consecutive. And yeah, avoid at all costs if you can and want to avoid spoilers. It showed up on Youtube first so you might not even be safe on there.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2628 on: April 17, 2019, 07:25:12 AM »
Alrighty then ... no more YT until next weekend.  I can live with that.

Even though I've avoided all click-bait for the last 6-8 months, and don't go to the shit from ScreenRant or Looper or anything, those channels still show up in my feed periodically, so the last thing I want is to see a thumbnail or headline I don't want to see.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2629 on: April 17, 2019, 07:35:42 AM »
I'm always amazed how people are able to do that.  To put your job on the line.  Not worth it in my book.

I heard the movie is already out in Korea (South) and that's where the leaks are coming from. Wherever they come from, the Russo bros and all the Marvel official accounts have shared an open letter to the fans asking to not spoil the movie for the rest of the world, so the leaks are legit :censored
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #2630 on: April 17, 2019, 09:44:14 AM »

I heard the movie is already out in Korea (South) and that's where the leaks are coming from. Wherever they come from, the Russo bros and all the Marvel official accounts have shared an open letter to the fans asking to not spoil the movie for the rest of the world, so the leaks are legit :censored

Huh, I heard it came from some dude's snapchat in either Saudia Arabia or Egypt during a dubbing session. It doesn't come out in SK until the 24th apparently.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2631 on: April 18, 2019, 10:13:07 AM »
Only one more week. ONE MORE WEEK!! Film premiere is on Monday night, I am so freaking excited to read the first impressions.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2632 on: April 18, 2019, 10:40:01 AM »
Final viewing plans with jingle.son

AoU to tonight
CW tomorrow
Ragnarok Saturday or Sunday
Infinity War Wednesday.

Endgame Thursday 7pm.  IMAX 3D.  Dead fucking centre of the theatre.

:caffeine:
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2633 on: April 18, 2019, 11:06:49 AM »
My birthday is this monday and my gf has promised to take me to see Endgame on friday. I was mindblown when they announced that it was going to premiere on the same week as my birthday. I just can't wait to see it (and I've been avoiding spoilers like the plague).
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2634 on: April 18, 2019, 11:23:39 AM »
The plan is to see Endgame at the drive next Saturday night.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Adami

« Reply #2635 on: April 18, 2019, 12:38:37 PM »
So, continuing my re-watch. A few nights ago was Spider-Man: Homecoming.

I really liked this movie on the first watch, but I think I liked it even more on the 2nd watch. Spider-Man is pretty important to me. I have a bust of him in my office. I usually keep up on his comics. I also usually list him as a personal hero of mine. He, through Stan Lee of course, really helped shaped my moral core. With great power comes great responsibility. So simple, yet so god damn profound. I think this basic moral code is one reason I keep disagreeing with Stadler in general, as well as with many Israelis over the conflict. I truly and firmly believe that idea, and it has helped make me the man I am today. I believe my moral core is one of my most defining characteristics, and Spider-Man played a huge role in shaping that. Not just that philosophy, but how he treats people in the comics. He hires villains in an attempt to rehabilitate them. He always gives people more chances. He never kills. He ends up making things worse sometimes because of it, but it's such an inspiring way to see the world. It's a focus on making things better, not punishing people. It's about hope, and not cold justice. Dude is really important to me.

I really enjoyed the first two Spider-Man movies. I didn't love Toby McGuire as Parker, but he was fine. A nice throwback to the 60's version of the character. I didn't like James Franco in them. He just always felt off. Most of those movies were really great tributes to 60's Marvel. So they were great for that. Less said about the third movie the better. Then the Andrew Garfield movies came out, and I was excited. I love Andrew Garfield and this dude seemed genuinely excited to play him, and just seemed like such a sweet dude. Then the movie came out. I mostly enjoyed it. Garfield tried his best to play Parker but was just the wrong choice. For Spider-Man, however, he really captured that sharp witty version that Toby didn't. So I half-enjoyed it. Lizard was a pretty lame bad guy, and the ending went way off the rails for me. I never actually saw the sequel cause it looked awful, and the reviews confirmed that. I actually remember seeing Tom Holland as Spider-Man for the first time in that Civil War trailer and I was just SO freaking pumped. It looked amazing. And then he was fantastic in Civil War, as I said.

Anyway, on to this movie. I freaking loved it! God damn. The whole opening sequence of him vlogging everything was genius. This was the first time I remember seeing the pure joy and excitement about being a super hero. Shazam seems to be doing that too, which is cool. Spider-Man just had so much charm and charisma. Doing a back flip at the request of a hot dog vendor, posing for pictures, helping with a stolen bike, etc. Just really captured the essence of the character in a more full and complete way than any of the other versions. Tom Holland is the definitive Peter Parker AND the definitive Spider-Man for me now. I also just love how sweet of a human being he seems to be as well. The movie itself is also great. Having Iron Man in there was fantastic for both business and story. Michael Keaton was a genuinely awesome character. The dialogue was spot on and the directing was really inspired.

- Casting. Tom Holland as Spider-Man, Zendaya as whomever, that guy who played Ned (who was clearly supposed to be Ganke), Marissa as May, Tony Ravioli as Flash. Just new, inspired, and fantastic.
- Michael Keaton gets his own thing here. He was a great villain. I would have changed 1-2 scenes with him to make him a bit more what I think they wanted him to be, but over all fantastic.
- That damn car scene where Keaton threatens Holland. Both of their acting is amazing. It's genuinely scary and you feel it from both of them.
- Spider-Man losing his suit and going back to basics was great. That scene of him lifting the rubble off of him gives me the damn shivers.
- Captain America videos. I mean, hilarious.
- All of the supporting cast. From Hannibal to Martin to the Principle from Cap, all did a great job in this.
- Loved the ending. Personal fight. Pretty short, all things considered. Parker still saved Tumes. Tumes doesn't give him up.

Didn't like:

- Totally unnecessary and awkward cameo from Betty Brandt. Just...not necessary, took me out of it a bit.
- Zendaya being MJ was dumb. She's not even Mary Jane. She's just MJ? I mean, I thought her character was strong enough to be her own thing. Felt like a KAHN thing. Didn't need to be MJ. Didn't add anything.
- Vulture killing the first Shocker. Made him a bit too extreme. If he had accidentally killed him, which was implied, but then also showed considerable remorse, or at least showed that he had a moral center beyond simply SAYING that he was doing it all for his family, it would have helped.
- Ned being Ned. HE'S GOD DAMN GANKE JUST LET HIM BE GOD DAMN GANKE!

Tonight is Black Panther.

Can't believe Endgame is next Friday!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 12:43:59 PM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2636 on: April 18, 2019, 01:02:49 PM »
Yeah, I agree with the vast majority of that.  Some specifics:

- That damn car scene where Keaton threatens Holland. Both of their acting is amazing. It's genuinely scary and you feel it from both of them.

This was SO well done.  The tension is palpable.  I think I ranked Spider Man as my #3 MCU movie.  But this scene alone is by far the best thing Marvel has ever done and is almost worthy of carrying the movie to the #1 spot because of it.

Didn't like:

- Totally unnecessary and awkward cameo from Betty Brandt. Just...not necessary, took me out of it a bit.

It totally was unnecessary.  But it was also pretty unobtrusive and I didn't think it took anything away. 

- Zendaya being MJ was dumb. She's not even Mary Jane. She's just MJ? I mean, I thought her character was strong enough to be her own thing. Felt like a KAHN thing. Didn't need to be MJ. Didn't add anything.

Agreed.  It felt so hamfisted in a film that seemed to handle so many things so well that it kinda stood out like a sore thumb.  My reaction was, I'm sure, similar to a lot of others:  "Whoa!  Cool homage!  I totally didn't see that coming!  ...  Wait a second.  Actually, after thinking about that for about 3 seconds, that makes no sense at all.  Why did they just do that?"

- Vulture killing the first Shocker. Made him a bit too extreme. If he had accidentally killed him, which was implied, but then also showed considerable remorse, or at least showed that he had a moral center beyond simply SAYING that he was doing it all for his family, it would have helped.

I disagree, actually.  If he had done it intentionally, I think it would have made him too ruthless and would have undercut his motivations as doing it for his family.  I took his reaction to be along the lines of, if we could have read his mind during that exchange, "OH, WHOA!  I TOTALLY DIDN'T MEAN THAT!  ...but you know what?  The more I think about it, he had it coming anyway, so I'm just gonna roll with it."  I think that amount of ruthlessness actually fit the character well, and it made me fully believe him when he told Peter he'd kill him if he interfered.  I wouldn't have believed it if he had shown too much remorse.  He needed to sell that line and make us believe it so that we would believe Peter believed it.  And we needed that for the stakes to be sufficiently high during the final fight, and for Peter trying so hard to save him to have the gravity that it had.

I don't know who Ned or Ganke are.  This character portrayal worked just fine for me.

A few other things I loved:
-Peter's interaction with "Karen." 
-The Ferris Bueller reenactment, and then dropping the actual scene into the film on a tv screen.
-Peter's relationship with Happy.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #2637 on: April 18, 2019, 03:29:15 PM »
- Casting.

Okay, honestly, I think in ALL aspects this is where the MCU has shined the strongest. Almost every character is perfectly cast, especially the main characters. Sarah Halley Finn has been one of the casting directors for every MCU movie but Hulk so far and her work with the MCU is phenomenal. I don't think she gets enough credit, because her casting choices have made the MCU what it is.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2638 on: April 18, 2019, 03:31:43 PM »
Peter and Happy's interactions were some of my favorite moments of Homecoming. That whole opening sequence with Peter recalling his appearance in Civil War, and Happy trying to chaperone him, always put a smile on my face.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2639 on: April 18, 2019, 06:13:39 PM »
-Peter's interaction with "Karen." 

And that the actress that voiced "Karen" (Jennifer Connelly) is the wife of the actor who voiced JARVIS (Paul Bettany), is nice little Easter Egg.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2640 on: April 19, 2019, 05:21:14 AM »
Ahh... Jennifer Connelly.  I never looked in to who voiced that.  Gonna see those scenes differently now when I finally get to re-watching it. 

The car scene is fantastic.  Also, I agree with Bosk on the matter of Vulture killing his minion.

The 'rising from the rubble' scene was also incredibly well done.  Pulled nicely from the comics, and I'm sure everyone was figuring that Tony was gonna come in to save the day.  Felt much more real and inspiring that Peter had to overcome his obstacles all on his own - to become the hero that he is/wanted to be.

Offline Adami

« Reply #2641 on: April 19, 2019, 10:53:13 AM »

I don't know who Ned or Ganke are.  This character portrayal worked just fine for me.

The character was fantastic. It's literally just his name.

In the picture below, you have the actor playing Ned in the movie. On his left is comic book Ned, and on his right is comic book Ganke. Do you see what I mean?

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #2642 on: April 19, 2019, 11:53:21 PM »
Because they still need Ganke Lee for Miles Morales in Into The Spiderverse.

Offline Adami

« Reply #2643 on: April 20, 2019, 10:33:02 AM »
Because they still need Ganke Lee for Miles Morales in Into The Spiderverse.

Feel like it could have worked both ways.

Anyway, it wasn't a major criticism. Just felt strange that they had a character who was clearly Ganke, but called him Ned. Oh well.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Adami

« Reply #2644 on: April 20, 2019, 02:26:10 PM »
Got my mini-review for Black Panther later today, but right now I'm watching season 2 of Cloak and Dagger and this is a REALLY good show. Like a slightly lighter version (slightly) of the Netflix shows. I highly recommend them. Quite different from the other shows currently on.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2645 on: April 20, 2019, 04:09:13 PM »
Got my mini-review for Black Panther later today, but right now I'm watching season 2 of Cloak and Dagger and this is a REALLY good show. Like a slightly lighter version (slightly) of the Netflix shows. I highly recommend them. Quite different from the other shows currently on.

Loved season 1, but haven’t had time to start season 2 yet, will start watching asap.

Offline Adami

« Reply #2646 on: April 20, 2019, 04:51:48 PM »
So, continuing my rewatch. Recently was Black Panther.

You know, this movie made a WHOLE lot of noise when it came out. It was a god damn social phenomenon. 1.3 billion dollars on a 200 million dollar domestic opening weekend. That is HUGE for a movie like this. The name Black Panther is not too familiar to non-comic book fans. People know The Black Panthers, the sometimes militant civil rights group, which was oddly birthed two months after the Marvel character debuted in 1969. This was one of the first major black super-hero. He wasn't just a black guy either, he was African. An African king. He represented pride in African heritage and roots and helped speak to an entire part of the population that might not able to fully connect with the hundreds of white superheros that existed at that time. He was a really important piece of history and deserves his rightful place in it. That said, he was never a character I fully gravitated toward. Not because he was an African king, but because his character just kind of lacked the charisma needed to draw me in. I enjoyed him in bigger books and loved him as an Avenger, but never dug too deep into his solo issues. A bit here and there, but not a ton. He was, however, great on a team. He added a really great element. Nobility, moral rigidity, and a flawed stubbornness. He bounced off the others wonderfully.

As far as the MCU goes, he had a jaw dropping debut in Civil War. They found a fantastic actor, who did not only a great performance, but also really emphasized the African aspects to the character. A brilliant way to expand the MCU into new cultural domains. So when this movie was coming out, I wasn't totally sure what to expect. The dude doesn't have much of a sense of humor, and people aren't familiar with him. I expected a global box office of maybe 500 million. Tops. Akin to an Ant-Man. Lord, was I wrong. Who could have predicted such a global phenomenon? Turns out, we all should have. An entire portion of America's population was finally getting a movie that speaks to them. That looks like them. That doesn't feel like they have to aim primarily at a white male audience to succeed. It was a huge risk, because studios have gone on record before that as saying they feel these kinds of movies need to be aimed at a white, male, younger-middle aged audience to succeed. This was the first movie to shatter that illusion. Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel carried that torch moving forward and it's changing the kinds of movies getting wide and domestic releases to this day and going forward.

So the movie! I remember watching it for the first time and got really caught up in the social narrative. Why is THIS movie being considered for an Oscar? It's not Logan. It's good. It's not GREAT. Why do people love it so much? I didn't see it. I liked it a lot, but not THAT much. I also had a number of problems with it. I though Killmonger took over WAY too easily and it made no sense. I thought the ending battle was a huge mess and didn't like it. I thought T'Challa was pretty flat. So I let it be at that. Then I watched it again recently for my rewatch and I have a VERY different opinion.

I love this movie. It's fantastic. I think once the social fad had ended, I was able to just watch this movie and enjoy it for what it is. Also, knowing what happens helps me see the setup they had in it that I had missed before. How did Killmonger get so accepted so quickly? The movie establishes early on that leadership is won through strength. The leaders have been Black Panthers, the strongest, mightiest warriors in the country. If anyone beats them in that ritual combat, they take over. If M'Baku had beaten T'Challa in that opening scene, that dude would be the leader of Wakanda. Killmonger beat him. How did he even get there you ask? Two ways. 1) He demonstrated strength by defeating a major enemy of Wakanda when no one else ever good. That is a huge sign of strength. He also had royal blood. Movie also established the importance of bloodlines. They also weren't thrilled with him except for the Get Out guy who was mostly focused on strength as a sign of leadership. In America that might seem weird, but coming from the Middle East, I see it in most countries there. Strength wins. "It's difficult for a good man to be king"

Why did the whole country fight T'Challa just because Killmonger told them to? Well, on this viewing I noticed that it wasn't that many people. I believe it was 2 tribes only. And a small number of them in the end. So that sat better with me this time around too. The Rhino's didn't bother me quite as much this time either. Still not a fan, but they weren't as big in the fight as I remembered. Also the final fight with Killmonger and Black Panther was much better than I remembered. And of course that final line by Killmonger. Genius stuff. Also a random thought: Erik becoming king kind of represented the whole problem with the country. So stuck in their old ways that they deny themselves progress.

- The cast. Every character shines in this movie. Besides the leads, Lupita, Danai, Daniel, Letitia, Winston Duke, Forest, etc. All brought their A games. Let's not forget Angela Basset too. She could have pulled a Glen Close and just phoned it in, but she really delivered a great performance.
- Michael B. Jordan. God damn. Dude just crushes it. What a fantastic actor.
- Andy Serkis as Klaue. I loved him so god damn much. Just chewing the scenery and giving a dynamic fun and energetic performance. I know his character had to die, but it's a real shame. I just want to watch more of him going nuts.
- Danai throwing her wig at that guy. Just a great statement and moment.
- The set-design. The look of Wakanda was original and inspired. A beautiful mix of futuristic and traditional African.
- Same with the costume design. Deserved that Oscar.

Dislikes:
- Some of the action is a bit video gamey. Most of it is great, but it has moments where it's SO CGI that it's distracting.
- A big plot hole I noticed this time. Well, not a plot hole, but a weird thing. So when Erik breaks out Klaue, Black Panther sees him wearing that ring. So when Erik is presented to him with that ring, as the dude who killed Klaue, couldn't T'Challa put two and two together that this was the dude that helped Klaue escape and expose him? Doubt they'd get too behind the dude who helped Klaue escape from custody, even if he did kill him later. I dunno. Seems odd.
- Gonna be honest, the technology seemed a bit too much. Like...what CAN'T these people do? God damn. It seemed unlimited and endless how advanced and powerful they had become.
- A little unclear on the timeline. I think it established that this takes place like a week after T'Chaka's death. Yet when he lands, they're all joking and seem pretty fine. Maybe it was quite a bit after? I dunno. It was short enough that Nakia had not been informed at all. But it couldn't have been THAT long, cause then they'd have no king for that whole time. Ah well. Just confused.

All in all. A much better movie than I remember it being. Really loved it.

Tonight is Thor: Ragnarok!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2647 on: April 21, 2019, 12:16:30 PM »
Really interesting to read your thoughts on these re-watches. I think there is a certain hype with movies like this that can mean a first watch feels disappointing or we're looking out for certain things and end up missing other things. With Black Panther specifically I remember noticing those key set ups on my first watch so that did help me love it first time around, but it's definitely happened to me with other movies (and books too).

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2648 on: April 21, 2019, 06:54:37 PM »
For those who haven’t seen it, Avengers/Geico commercial.

Warning: the end shows real movie footage. Nothing new, just the same clips from trailers.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eR1wR02V8sM
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2649 on: April 21, 2019, 07:11:25 PM »
Trying to do a marathon before Endgame.   I don't think I'll make it, but I just finished Avengers and did 6 movies in 3 days. 

1) I want to do this again after Endgame.  But this time I want to watch the audio commentaries.  Has anyone watched any of them?  Are they any good?

2)  It would have been interesting if, during the Sakovia Accords debate, someone would have said, "Hey, wait a minute.  YOU guys are accusing US of too much collateral damage...but YOU guys were the ones who wanted to nuke half of NYC!!!"

3)  The Chris Cornell song makes me sad.   As a native Seattlite.   I'm not a huge fan of every Seattle icon, but of all of them, Chris was my favorite.  RIP
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #2650 on: April 21, 2019, 08:43:58 PM »
2)  It would have been interesting if, during the Sakovia Accords debate, someone would have said, "Hey, wait a minute.  YOU guys are accusing US of too much collateral damage...but YOU guys were the ones who wanted to nuke half of NYC!!!"

There's a deleted scene in the first Avengers where Hill roasts them for considering that and is all like "btdubz we recorded that so don't try anything." But then Shield fell and I'm guessing Fury and Hill didn't give the black mail material over to the Avengers.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2651 on: April 21, 2019, 09:15:24 PM »

There's a deleted scene in the first Avengers where Hill roasts them for considering that and is all like "btdubz we recorded that so don't try anything." But then Shield fell and I'm guessing Fury and Hill didn't give the black mail material over to the Avengers.

Interesting.   A stretch (by the writers, not you) but interesting.   Easily overlooked considering how well everything else is done.

Offline Adami

« Reply #2652 on: April 21, 2019, 09:31:10 PM »
I don't think too many people on the World Security Counsel were doing the Sakovia accords. I think that was basically the UN, who had nothing to do with wanting to nuke NY.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2653 on: April 21, 2019, 10:29:29 PM »
I don't think too many people on the World Security Counsel were doing the Sakovia accords. I think that was basically the UN, who had nothing to do with wanting to nuke NY.

Still....even if the right hand doesn't know what the left hand was doing, they were still a branch of the government, which The Avengers never were. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2654 on: April 22, 2019, 07:32:39 AM »
I "get" everything Adami said, but still didn't love the movie.  It was very good.  And I loved most of it before Killmonger got to Wakanda.  But once he arrived, the movie took a bit of a dive for me.  I still consider it a very good movie.  But not a great one.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Adami

« Reply #2655 on: April 22, 2019, 08:10:38 AM »
I "get" everything Adami said, but still didn't love the movie.  It was very good.  And I loved most of it before Killmonger got to Wakanda.  But once he arrived, the movie took a bit of a dive for me.  I still consider it a very good movie.  But not a great one.

Totally understandable, colonizer.

Like I said in my way too long review, I felt the same way when I first saw it and truly expected to feel that same way this time. I just felt differently. It was odd.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2656 on: April 22, 2019, 08:48:30 AM »
Totally understandable, colonizer.

I was about to respond along the lines of "I am not!  I'm a Spaniard!"  Then I heard those words in my head and realized I was actually making your argument far stronger than you perhaps intended.  :lol

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #2657 on: April 22, 2019, 09:55:15 AM »
As somebody who live in a country colonized by Spaniards and the US, let me just say that a lot of the Killmonger - Tchalla debate resonated with me. I guess many just wouldn't understand how it felt to be at the other end and up to this day, having watched the movie more than five times, I still have no clear side on the argument.

Offline Adami

« Reply #2658 on: April 22, 2019, 11:17:57 AM »
So continuing my rewatch, few nights ago was Thor: Ragnarok. ...............only 2 more movies before Endgame....crazy.

Anyway. Not sure I'll have a ton to say about this one, but I thought that about the last few, so we'll see.

So Thor has been an odd character in the MCU. He currently bares virtually no resemblance to his comic book counter part, and I'm 100% fine with that. Dude is not super interesting on his own. He is strong headed, bold, rigid, and loud. That doesn't translate SUPER well to screen. The first movie found a way around that by making it about him earning his title back. The second movie....well we all know how that one went. So when they announced the title of this movie, Ragnarok, clearly in the making since Ultron, I was excited. I was like "YESSS. This is going to be the darkest, most epic, most brutal MCU movie to date!." And clearly MCU thought that too for a while. Ultron hinted at Ragnarok pretty....sloppily. It was all death and crazy and weird. So it seems the MCU  had envisioned a very dark and epic movie. Then.....they brought on this weird dude from New Zealand. A comedy director through and through and they gave him a super dark, gritty, epic idea and he turned into into a silly comedy. The result? Well, it's a very good movie with a lot of flaws that is clearly two different movies trying to coexist at the same time.

Half the movie is the original pitch. Or what I assume it was at least. You have Hela (a great performance by Cate) coming to Asgard to bring about the end. That part of the movie is dark, gritty, and a major downer. Most of Asgard is massacred. Odin dies. Mjolnir is destroyed........and then there's Planet Hulk. This part is odd, since Planet Hulk, in the comics, is NOT funny at all. In fact, it has one of the darkest moments I've ever seen in Marvel where he carries that child through an explosion and the child slowly turns to ash in Hulk's arms. God damn. But this version worked super well with the comedic tone. While these two story lines do come together in a good way, they really do feel like two different movies happening at the same time. The comedic tone didn't work very well for the Asgard stuff. The serious tone would not have worked for the new version of the Planet Hulk stuff. A major criticism of this movie, which I think is due to these clashing ideas, is that the serious stuff is not given much room to breathe and is often met with a quick joke to deflate it. I mean...THOUSANDS OF ASGARDIANS DIED and the entire realm of Asgard was blown up. What happened then? A joke. A funny joke, but a joke nonetheless.

Speaking of which, quick thoughts on the number of Asgardians. It was very inconsistent, even in this movie. I understand that Hela killed off like the entire army, which I assume was about 90% of the population. But when they're in hiding with Heimdall, it looks like thousands of people. Then on the bridge it feels like maybe 100 tops. Then on the ship at the very end, it feels like thousands again. Just all over the place. I wonder if it's safe to assume that there were lots of Asgardians in other realms keeping the peace, since Thor said it was all chaotic.

The tone was a breath of fresh air for me. MCU needs diversity and this was a great example of it. I just wish the idea had been developed from start to finish with Taika's vision in mind, so it wasn't the mish-mash we got. The change to Thor's character was great, the addition of Valkyrie was great, and the movie gave us a believable and satisfying redemptive arc to Loki. Also noticed that between this, Black Panther, and GoTG 2, the entire main cast of Creed is in the MCU.

Hmm....guess I had more to say than I thought. Shocking. Anywho...

- New take on Thor. This was a relatable and great Thor. Chris Hemsworth is gold in this capacity, hope he has chances to explore it more.
- The cameos in the play. Hemsworth brother, Matt Damon, Sam Neil, etc. Brilliant stuff.
- The soundtrack....oh man.....best one since GoTG vol 1. Loved it all, especially the 80's vibe to it.
- THE COLORS! this movie is so colorful. The designs are so bold. I loved it. A real nod to Jack Kirby and his style.
- The umbrella scene was a great nod to old school Thor. Not over the top, but tasteful.
- The flashback of the Valkyries attacking Hela might be the most visually beautiful scene in any MCU film to date. Truly stunning.
- Jeff Goldblum. Can't say enough there.
- A ton more that I don't have time to get into

Dislikes:
- Too much comedy at times. The Ragnarok storyline needed a more serious and dramatic tone. Either do that or ditch the whole storyline with Hela all together.
- Felt like Anthony Hopkins kind of phoned this one in, to be honest.
- Hulk's vocoder effect is........way more obvious than I remember.
- Inconsistent portrayal of Asgard.
- Total disregard for the Warriors Three. They deserved better than that.

Probably more of each, but that's all I got off the top of my head.

Not sure if people are reading these or if they're annoying, but only two left!

Tonight is Infinity War!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2659 on: April 22, 2019, 11:25:23 AM »
Mark Ruffalo has always been a wooden actor for my tastes.  This movie he showed more emotion as Banner than I've ever seen before.  I really liked him in this role.