Author Topic: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe v2 (SPOILERS)  (Read 248635 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe *SPOILERS* 2
« Reply #2590 on: April 09, 2019, 07:36:39 AM »
All of those are perfectly valid, and if you don't hear the score problem, you have ears like Samsara.

I don't hear it, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on that one because I haven't really paid attention to that.

Also, in the news, Kevin Fiege said that it'll be a "very long time" til the X-Men show up in the MCU. I think that's smart. I just hope it's not that long before FF characters show up. Not necessarily the team themselves, but just anyone from their comics.

Yeah, I think it's smart not to rush the X-Men coming in as well.  Kinda gets to that reboot confusion issue that I mentioned in the Joker thread.  We just don't need more X-Men right now.  And given everything that's going on in the MCU, their existence, hitherto a secret, would be jarring.  They need to take their time and figure out how to work in a good story that weaves into the fabric of the MCU in a satisfying way.

Unrelated to the above discussion, but after watching Ragnarok and Infinity War recently: just how small a population did Asgard have? They all fit on a not-very-large ship, and yes I realize Hela slaughtered quite a few but seriously the population appears to be less than one Midgard city.

That has been my major gripe with Ragnarok from day 1.  The scale of Asgard was just way, way off.  Or at least, it felt way off.  The movie was pretty good overall, but I think they mishandled that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2591 on: April 09, 2019, 07:41:10 AM »
Regading Asgard, yea it seemed way off. My best explanation was that like 90% of Asgard were their military (for lack of a better word) and Hela wiped them ALL out, so you're only left with the civilian population, which I assumed was always very small.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2592 on: April 09, 2019, 11:07:47 AM »
It makes Thor's quote in Infinity War "he slaughtered half my people" seem REALLY overdone.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2593 on: April 09, 2019, 11:09:50 AM »
It makes Thor's quote in Infinity War "he slaughtered half my people" seem REALLY overdone.

Not really, because that's Thanos' M.O.  At the beginning of Infinity War when he departs Thor's ship, Thanos himself says that he left half of his [Thor's] people alive.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2594 on: April 09, 2019, 12:49:45 PM »

Not really, because that's Thanos' M.O.  At the beginning of Infinity War when he departs Thor's ship, Thanos himself says that he left half of his [Thor's] people alive.

I was referring to the fact that it sounds like it should be millions of people but is in fact a few hundred. And where were these supposed survivors? The ship was blown up.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2595 on: April 09, 2019, 02:22:11 PM »
Bit behind the times as I realise everyone is doing pregame re-watches, but I finally saw Captain Marvel. Loved it. Loved her.

It wasn't perfect of course, none of the films are, and it's not one of my favourites but I do consider in the top tier as a lot of the recent films have been. Absolute ton of warmth and heart and humour.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2596 on: April 09, 2019, 02:32:02 PM »
I found it interesting to learn in the last couple of days that Brie Larson's first time filming as Captain Marvel was in fact her stuff for Endgame, not her solo film.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2597 on: April 09, 2019, 02:42:18 PM »
Didn't know that. Makes sense though given a lot (most? all?) of Endgame was filmed alongside Infinity War. And not entirely unique as obviously Tom Holland and Chadwick Boseman filmed (and appeared) in collaborative films first.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2598 on: April 09, 2019, 03:38:24 PM »
So far, I've been pretty aligned with virtually all of Adami's commentary.  The score isn't an issue for me - for the musicians in the group, you guys will notice stuff like that moreso than the average Joe.  I also think your (valid) beef about Dr. Strange's characterization (the comedic side) is tainted by your in depth knowledge of the comic version of Stephen Strange - wise, reserved, and stoic.  It was fine in the movie, and added a bit of charm - but I can see why hardcore comic fans would be put off by it.

I only have time to re-watch a few more of the movies, and gonna commit to AOU, Civil War, Ragnarok, and Infinity War.  Wondering if I should try to jam in Winter Soldier first, as the trailer clips hint at that version of Cap's suit.  Thoughts?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2599 on: April 10, 2019, 07:17:17 AM »
My thoughts are that it's never a bad idea to watch Winter Soldier, since it's one of the 4 or 5 best MCU films.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2600 on: April 10, 2019, 07:23:06 AM »
My thoughts are that it's never a bad idea to watch Winter Soldier, since it's one of the 4 or 5 best MCU films.

It's my #1 in the MCU.  It has a fantastic mix of old school action blended with the modern CGI.  The Storyline is fantastic and the acting was a well.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2601 on: April 11, 2019, 05:39:31 AM »

I concur... it's just a matter of having enough time.  jingle.son is still at school until Good Friday, and with the move and hockey playoffs, disposable time is at a premium.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Online Adami

« Reply #2603 on: April 11, 2019, 08:43:12 PM »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2604 on: April 11, 2019, 09:42:39 PM »
30 second Spanish language trailer, only 30 seconds, nothing really new other than a touch of action I haven't seen yet.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2605 on: April 12, 2019, 07:35:25 AM »
Disney + to launch November 12, 2019 for $6.99/month or $69.99 annually.

It will include Marvel shows WandaVision (about, well, Wanda and the Vision), Loki, Falcon and Winter Soldier, and Hawkeye, with all original actors reprising their roles.  Interestingly, Hawkeye will feature Clint Barton passing the torch to Kate Bishop.

Also, animated show What If? which could be friggin' awesome, and a documentary series with a working title of Marvel's 616, along with a show called Marvel's Hero Project, about young people making differences in their communities.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2606 on: April 12, 2019, 07:42:25 AM »
$6.99? Dude, they are coming out of the gates swinging. And with that lineup it's a no-brainer. I'm excited for this.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2607 on: April 12, 2019, 07:54:57 AM »
$6.99? Dude, they are coming out of the gates swinging. And with that lineup it's a no-brainer. I'm excited for this.

They'll get everyone signed up and 'hooked' then bump up the cost after a year or two.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2608 on: April 12, 2019, 08:03:20 AM »
I don't think any of those shows will be available day one, although a couple of them will be in the first year.

Per Kevin Feige, at least 12 of the MCU films will be available on day one:

Iron Man
Iron Man 2
Iron Man 3
Thor: The Dark World
Thor: Ragnarok
Guardians of the Galaxy
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Black Panther
Avengers: Infinity War
Ant-Man & the Wasp
Captain Marvel
Avengers: Endgame

Which doesn't even count all of the Lucasfilm content (films and shows) and Disney and Pixar content, and even some stuff from Fox right off the bat, including the first 30 seasons of The Simpsons, and National Geographic's collection of documentaries and specials, and family-friendly Fox shows and films like Malcolm in the Middle and Bend It Like Beckham.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2609 on: April 12, 2019, 08:07:27 AM »
That's a pretty good launch lineup!

They'll get everyone signed up and 'hooked' then bump up the cost after a year or two.

Y'know, I'd actually be okay with that even if they bump it up several dollars (up to like, say, 11 or 12 dollars/mo), only because the amount of stuff I want to watch is pretty large. I hate signing up for Netflix just to watch Stranger Things, and it's twice the cost of this service, basically paying a movie ticket to watch ST and then cancel  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2610 on: April 12, 2019, 08:08:47 AM »
That's a pretty good launch lineup!

Y'know, I'd actually be okay with that even if they bump it up several dollars (up to like, say, 11 or 12 dollars/mo), only because the amount of stuff I want to watch is pretty large. I hate signing up for Netflix just to watch Stranger Things, and it's twice the cost of this service, basically paying a movie ticket to watch ST and then cancel  :lol

Oh dude....this service will be a hit in the GMD household. I'll get every penny's worth out of it. I'd pay $12-15 a month for it....which is probably where it'll end up at eventually.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2611 on: April 12, 2019, 08:12:09 AM »
Hah! Same here, and I live by myself!  :lol

I'm really interested to see what happens to Netflix and other streaming services. I didn't even think about it until last night, but yesterday morning I cancelled my Netflix subscription because I forgot to do so before my card got charged again. I wonder how many other people cancelled because of the Disney news  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2612 on: April 12, 2019, 08:14:47 AM »
I haven't been following too closely.  So what about the Marvel/Netflix partnership shows like Daredevil, etc.?  Where are those going?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Adami

« Reply #2613 on: April 12, 2019, 08:25:42 AM »
I haven't been following too closely.  So what about the Marvel/Netflix partnership shows like Daredevil, etc.?  Where are those going?

As far as I know, those stay on Netflix. No new ones, but old ones won’t move.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2614 on: April 12, 2019, 08:32:08 AM »

This, and if they want to develop new content with the characters, they have to wait at least two years.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2615 on: April 12, 2019, 08:39:11 AM »

Apparently Netflix (per contract) retains those marvel shows for 2 years, and nothing can be done with the character until the 2 years have passed.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2616 on: April 12, 2019, 12:10:42 PM »

This, and if they want to develop new content with the characters, they have to wait at least two years.
That's it.  Marvel could pick them up to produce new episodes for Disney +, but there is a two year waiting period in the Netfilx contract.

Online Adami

« Reply #2617 on: April 16, 2019, 05:06:39 PM »
So, was out of town for several days for a training, back now!

Continuing with my rewatch, last week was Captain America: Civil War.

God damn this movie is good. 

So here's a little back story for my relationship with this movie. Now, as you guys probably know, I'm a big Marvel comics guy. I have gone into all of these movies knowing that they will be very different from their comic book counterparts, and unless it was made MUCH worse, I was always open to that. This was tested to the strongest degree when I saw that they announced that they planned on adopting Civil War. Not sure how many of you guys know this, but every year Marvel does a giant big story with most characters. Usually it's...fine. Sometimes it's meh or bad. And on occasion, it's VERY good. For me, Civil War, along with Dark Reign was one of the best major crossover stories I had read. Many disagree, but that's life. I read....literally....every single issue of Civil War AND every single tie in issue. That is a LOT of comics. I was hooked on this story. Seeing Steve and Tony come to that disagreement. Watching Rogers' underground Avengers fight Stark's poster Avengers. Seeing how all of the minor characters dealt with the registration act etc. It was so huge. Just...enormous. It involved everyone except the real Thor (and maybe Hulk?).

So I was super nervous when I heard they were doing this. I knew, for a fact, that a ton of the characters I loved from the comics version, such as Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, Moon Knight, Punisher, Sentry, Captain Marvel, Wolverine etc, were not going to be in this. Most of all, however, Reed Richards and the Fantastic Four wouldn't be in this, and they were a major part of the comics. So I was skeptical. How could they do SUCH a huge story line in 2 hours with so few characters? But I went in open minded, yet expecting to be let down.

Then we got Black Panther. Then we got Spider-Man. And on top of that we just got one of the best MCU movies to date. This movie is just a paragon of great writing, great directing, great acting, great editing and so forth. It feels like it rushes but doesn't actually rush. It goes at the perfect pace, just like Winter Soldier. The team of Russos, Markus and McFeely can clearly do no wrong. The emotional arc of Tony Stark through this movie is just genius. I dunno man. I can't say enough good stuff about this movie. I'll try to do a totally disproportionate list of likes/dislikes that just touches the surface for some of it.

- All of the acting and characters. Steve and Tony are fantastic. Vision and Wanda are also fantastic. Bucky, Sam, Hawkeye, Ant-Man, etc. Fantastic
- Black Panther. Fantastic introduction that told us everything we need to know without a wasted word. Great acting, action, costume, fighting etc.
- SPIDER-MAN! Never handled so well. They summed up his entire god damn character perfectly in like 2 minutes of screen-time. It's very impressive.
- I really loved Zemo. I think he's often considered a low tier villain, but he's fantastic. His character is original, well acted, and honestly just really different. Yes, his plan had some coincidences that needed to work, but I can live with that. Also love that he is one of two villains that accomplished his goals and didn't die.
- The action. Nuff said.
- Bringing back Thunderbolt Ross was a really nice, albeit small, move. Nice to know that The Incredible Hulk wasn't TOTALLY ignored.
- The ending being a 2 on 1 fist fight rather than a giant sky beam everyone blowing everything up.
- The comedy is honestly fantastic. Bucky and Sam nodding at Cap after kissing Sharon. Spider-Man not knowing how to fight without sounding like a nerd. Just really natural and character rooted comedy. Much unlike Guardians where it became jokes for the sake of jokes.
- Also the ending of Rogers smashing Stark's chest reactor with his shield. Breaking Tony's heart with the symbol for his values and ideals. Beautiful.

Didn't like:
- Few plot holes in Zemo's plan. Nothing huge, but if anything had gone wrong, I feel like he'd be out of luck.
- I dunno. I honestly can't think of much I didn't like on this one.

Tonight is Spider-Man: Homecoming! WOOOO!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 05:12:32 PM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2618 on: April 16, 2019, 05:45:09 PM »
I'm with ya Adam. I think I read (almost) all of the CW tie-ins (96 in total iirc). I have all of the same feelings and concerns towards this movie, and all of the same thoughts. Having all the pieces of Zemo's plan fall into place perfectly is my only -MINOR - gripe. Otherwise, it's flawless in my opinion.

The Russo's were masterful to pull the major ideas from the comics, while still making it seamlessly fit into the MCU was great.

Online Adami

« Reply #2619 on: April 16, 2019, 05:46:29 PM »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2620 on: April 16, 2019, 06:06:29 PM »
 :lol

The Russo brothers,  all 3 of their movies are fantastic.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2621 on: April 16, 2019, 06:09:57 PM »

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2623 on: April 16, 2019, 06:50:47 PM »
It was I throb you.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2624 on: April 17, 2019, 06:39:40 AM »
Apparently some jackhole leaked a 5 minute section of Avengers: Endgame.

AVOID.