Author Topic: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe v2 (SPOILERS)  (Read 250472 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe *SPOILERS* 2
« Reply #2450 on: March 16, 2019, 11:03:42 AM »
I never had any problems with The Incredibly Hulk, and thought Norton made a good Banner. I started my own MCU run through yesterday with the first Captain America, and will go see Captain Marvel another time before running through the rest.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2451 on: March 16, 2019, 05:08:58 PM »
Continuing my Marvel re-watch, last night was The Incredible Hulk.

You know, this movie gets a lot of hate, but it's actually pretty damn good. I wonder if the dislike is mostly because of the recast, causing this movie to feel unconnected to anything. The final fight is a bit meh, but the rest of the movie is good. Pretty good directing, good acting, script was good, etc. I don't see where the hate comes from, other than it feeling disconnected.

Iron Man II is tomorrow.

Totally agree.

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #2452 on: March 16, 2019, 05:16:20 PM »
I think the main issue people have against Hulk is how disconnected it is from the rest of the MCU. It's, so far, the only MCU movie I have yet to see, and I've honestly not missed out on knowing anything or getting a certain important reference in another MCU movie. The only two things that survived (so to speak) that movie afaik were Talbot and Hulk. Neither of whom you need to watch this movie to understand. The recasting doesn't help in that regard either.

I don't see a whole lot of people ever saying it's bad, just kind of unnecessary in the grand scheme of things. Most of what I've heard about the movie is "it's okay".

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2453 on: March 16, 2019, 06:20:34 PM »
You mean General Ross, not Talbot :P

Anyway, went to see CM yersterday and finally came here to read the thread (been avoiding it since, you know... spoilers). It was a good movie, not the best thing ever, not bad. A few elements felt forced to me, and I'm definitely not too excited about this super OP character who just appeared out of nowhere just because they needed a strong female lead for their all new-all inclusive MCU in phase 4.

A few things that bothered me:

- The way Fury lost his eye... really? That was unexpected, yes, but was it a good twist? Definitely not.

- The way they explained to her how she got her powers. "We gave them to you", well, I guess if you have no memories of your past and they tell you this, you might believe it... for a while, but it doesn't make sense when literally no other Kree had the same powers. Maybe they told her she was the test subject or something, but if I spent 6 years with powers no one else has, I'd become very skeptical as in... if you gave them to me, why none of you has them? Bad writing. Please tell me I'm not the only one who thought of this.

- The way they overpowered her at the end, to the point nonthing (apparently) can hurt her. Nothing was a threat to her in the last act of the movie, how is she supposed to be vulnerable? This is one of my main complaints about Superman too (excepting all that Kryptonite thing), he's so OP, that he's pretty much never in danger. Ever.

- They talked about how cool it was to explore other sides of Ronan, Korath and Coulson, but they were barely in there.

- The way they explained the costume color change... really? I mean, it works, but I expected a completely different explanation

Other than that, I enjoyed this movie and am excited for future CM if they manage to keep the extreme feminism in check.

As others mentiones before, that twist with the skrulls was a great thing, and I deffinitely didn't see that coming. I went to the theater thinking Talos was going to be just a generic villain, but I was gladly proven wrong. Really enjoyed the character and their overall arc.

Now, the only thing I'm waiting for them to explain in Edgame is how Carol returned to Earth looking exactly the same as she left 20+ years ago.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2454 on: March 16, 2019, 06:49:32 PM »
I think the concern about Marvel's powers are a little unnecessary, frankly. Think about it. Hulk and Thor are technically two of the strongest superheroes the MCU has ever seen, but they still have weaknesses and flaws to exploit. Although Hulk might not have his planet-destroying punches in the MCU, he is still one of the strongest characters, defying gravity, running up buildings, dragging people through pavement and earth and Thanos still clapped his ass without breaking a sweat. Thor is a literal god, and we saw him get wrecked by Hulk in Thor: Ragnarok. Vision is also supposed to be one of the strongest beings ever (he can move through matter, fire laser beams, lift Thor's hammer when nobody else can, and is also crafted from an Infinity Stone) - and he got killed twice  :lol

I think - hope - we'll see more sides of Marvel's powers in Infinity War, but also that we see some of her limits against a hulking master fighter like Thanos and the strength of the Infinity Stones themselves. I really hope there's a one-on-one fight between the two and that she struggles. She might have photon blasts, but Thanos is a giant with huge hands, and I don't think even her Super Saiyan strength is gonna be much good against Thanos even if he's not wearing the gauntlet.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2455 on: March 17, 2019, 01:45:54 PM »
Saw Captain Marvel yesterday and loved it. Definitely one of my favorites of the MCU. We too are in the middle of a MCU rewatch and have 5 films left. Once complete I'll post my rankings.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #2456 on: March 17, 2019, 03:20:23 PM »
Ireally liked it. Not loved it. Going to do a rewatch tonite by myself because my twin 12 year old boys were going crazy. Lots of stuff going on that I think I missed on first watch. Liked the twists they thru in. People are complaining about the cause of Fury's eye, but if you rewatch, prior movies he makes hints about it. Plus, if the Skrulls aregoing to play a small part, the eye patch covers the scars on his eye, that if they were to duplicate him.

Overall a solid addition to the MCU, I have absolutely NO problem with Brie's performance and actually like the take on her. Will be interesting in endgame how she interacts with the current Avengers. From the last Endgame trailer we see Thor likes her.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2457 on: March 17, 2019, 05:12:25 PM »
Carol not aging has several easy explanations - the most obvious being she doesn’t age like non-enhanced humans. But also traveling at the speed of light or better really warps the time continuum.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2458 on: March 17, 2019, 09:12:31 PM »
Just watched Iron Man 1 for the first time in years. Still holds up. Still awesome.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2459 on: March 18, 2019, 12:45:33 AM »
Continuing my Marvel re-watch, last night was The Incredible Hulk.

You know, this movie gets a lot of hate, but it's actually pretty damn good. I wonder if the dislike is mostly because of the recast, causing this movie to feel unconnected to anything. The final fight is a bit meh, but the rest of the movie is good. Pretty good directing, good acting, script was good, etc. I don't see where the hate comes from, other than it feeling disconnected.

Iron Man II is tomorrow.
I always liked The Incredible Hulk a lot (notwithstanding the meh final battle, as you say) and have never understood why it's seen as lower quality. I don't remember that being the case back when it first came out.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2460 on: March 18, 2019, 12:49:01 AM »
I think the concern about Marvel's powers are a little unnecessary, frankly.
Yeah I find it weird that people are suddenly bothered about an overpowered character when they've been fine with them before.

Slightly different but Luke Cage was indestructible and they even turned that into a key part of the story in season 2.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #2461 on: March 18, 2019, 03:23:46 AM »
Saw Captain Marvel yesterday and it was good!

A mid tier Marvel movie for me. Perfectly enjoyable with a couple of problems. I did enjoy the character of Carol Danvers and I liked the different take on Fury. It almost felt like a buddy cop movie at times, with Carol and Fury ;D.

But yeah, it was just an appetizer for the main event. Endgame cannot come soon enough!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2462 on: March 19, 2019, 08:11:30 AM »
Just revisiting my rankings on page 65 of the thread.  I think Captain Marvel goes somewhere in the bottom third.  I'm not sure exactly where and would need to see it again (home video, most likely) before making that determination.  I know I would put it below Ant Man and Wasp, which I currently have at 14.  Probably below Black Panther as well.  But beyond that, I'm not sure exactly where it will fall.  Again, I still liked it.  I just wish I liked it more.  During this last phase, I just feel like the MCU has reached a critical mass where mistakes are being made in the storytelling.  This isn't the first time.  But CM just had more of that, and it's harder to reconcile.  Calling "plot hole!" and "continuity error!" whenever there is an unanswered question or a plot segment fans don't like has become all too ubiquitous nowadays.  But in the case of CM, there actually are plot holes and continuity errors within the MCU, and they are much more abundant than in past films, and it is very distracting from what should have been a better film.

All that said, now that I've said those things "out loud," I'm kind of feeling like I'd put this maybe just below The Dark World and above Iron Man II.

It's interesting looking at the upcoming slate of movies as well.  There are definitely some things I am looking forward to.  And there are others where...not so much.  Moving into the next phase after Endgame, I think Marvel is definitely going to move from mandatory viewing to "I'll wait and see what the reviews are and see if it looks any good." 
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 10:15:18 AM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2463 on: March 19, 2019, 08:50:05 AM »
Continuing my re-watch, did Iron Man II a few nights ago.

Yea, this one was rough. The good was very good. Downy is great and has amazing chemistry with....everyone. I actually really liked Sam Rockwell as the alternative Tony Stark. But the writing is just not very good. Justin Theoroux shouldn't be writing these. Gonna watch Thor tonight.

Also, didn't realize this til I did my re-watch of Incredible Hulk but it's the only Marvel movie without a mid or post-credits scene. I always though the scene of Stark going into the bar was it, but that plays before the credits even start.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Adami

« Reply #2464 on: March 19, 2019, 05:17:49 PM »
And the Disney Fox deal is complete.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2465 on: March 20, 2019, 09:35:52 AM »
I sat on this list for a few days to really make sure I had this right. I think this is my definitive MCU ranking, at least as of right now. The top 10 was really hard to nail down and honestly I think of these more in groups rather than individual rankings. So basically:

1-3: absolutely amazing
4-5: very minor quibbles that keep them out of top 3, but for various reasons I still enjoy them more than all the rest
6-9: excellent
10-14: very enjoyable, but I might tune out on repeat viewings for various reasons (such as the first Avengers and its massive setup time in the first hour)
15-17: good enough the first go round, but don't hold up on subsequent views, or I can't make it through a second time
18-21: I have no desire to watch these again

1. Avengers: Infinity War
2. Thor: Ragnarok
3. Captain America: Civil War
4. Iron Man
5. Spider-Man: Homecoming
6. Guardians of the Galaxy
7. Doctor Strange
8. Captain Marvel
9. Iron Man 3
10. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
11. Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2
12. Iron Man 2
13. The Avengers
14. Ant-Man & The Wasp
15. Avengers: Age of Ultron
16. Ant-Man
17. Black Panther
18. Captain America: The First Avenger
19. Thor
20. Thor: The Dark World
21. The Incredible Hulk

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2466 on: March 20, 2019, 11:05:31 AM »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2467 on: March 20, 2019, 11:16:52 AM »
I can't even tell anymore.  Is that a "real" trailer, or just Deadpool fucking with us?

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2468 on: March 20, 2019, 11:24:11 AM »
I can't even tell anymore.  Is that a "real" trailer, or just Deadpool fucking with us?

It's fan-made.  I can clearly hear that it's not Ryan Reynolds' voice.  This is the top comment on the video, from the page itself:

Hope you liked the edit!
Shoutout to my friends "Nik Zutshi" who voiced Deadpool and "Mohd Mistry" who modelled Deadpool in the video. Go and show them some love on their social media! (LINK IN BIO)

Online Adami

« Reply #2469 on: March 20, 2019, 12:46:23 PM »
Continuing my re-watch, did Thor last night.

You know...this movie is odd. What works really works. All the of actors are great. They even began...BEGAN....setting up the Warriors Three and Sif to have personality, then just kind of dropped it. In the initial fight scene, they gave them all unique fighting styles, which I thought was cool. Wish they could have been developed more. Obviously Chris and Tom are great, as is Anthony Hopkins. The overall plot was a little muddy and convoluted, but most of all it seems the movie itself was in a hurry to finish and get to The Avengers.

Tomorrow is The Avengers! Haven't seen it in years.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2470 on: March 20, 2019, 01:04:35 PM »
The fam and I watched Captain Marvel last night.

What a blast!  We all generally agreed that it was roughly 8 pounds of fun in a five pound bag.

My wife thought it was probably her favorite Marvel film thus far.  I don't agree with her, but it was definitely loads of fun.

I loved how they subverted the normal take on Skrulls.  I also thought that Ben Mendolsohn was the best thing about the film.

The Stan Lee tribute and cameo were extremely well-done.

Can't wait for Endgame!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Adami

« Reply #2471 on: March 20, 2019, 01:05:50 PM »
Speaking of Endgame, Russo's have stated that the trailer contains footage that is not from the film as to throw us off the trail. Kinda smart. they did the same thing in Infinity War with a shot of The Hulk running with everyone.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2472 on: March 20, 2019, 01:16:29 PM »
There are many good ways of describing Captain Marvel.

Then there's this:
What a blast!  We all generally agreed that it was roughly 8 pounds of fun in a five pound bag.
:orly:
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 01:25:49 PM by bosk1 »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2473 on: March 20, 2019, 01:23:01 PM »
I was just talking with a friend last night about how they'd put fake footage in the trailer. Good to know I was right  :biggrin:

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2474 on: March 20, 2019, 01:24:47 PM »
Just finished watching Spiderman:Into the Spiderverse...and I got to be honest, it pretty much blew away most everything else I've seen recently. What an outstanding piece of work.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2475 on: March 20, 2019, 01:45:57 PM »
Just finished watching Spiderman:Into the Spiderverse...and I got to be honest, it pretty much blew away most everything else I've seen recently. What an outstanding piece of work.
I wholeheartedly agree. I thought this was one of the top 3, if not the top, superhero movie I've ever seen. It was fantastic.

Online Adami

« Reply #2476 on: March 20, 2019, 01:47:18 PM »
Yea, it's truly amazing. Hard to compare it other comic book movies like Infinity War, or Logan or whatever, since....despite all being comic book movies...they are all trying to do very different things.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2478 on: March 20, 2019, 03:07:08 PM »
Wow, that's pretty cool.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2479 on: March 21, 2019, 12:51:52 AM »
Captain Marvel was good.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2480 on: March 21, 2019, 08:36:50 AM »
I really hope theaters put Infinity War back on the big screen as a double feature with Endgame.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2481 on: March 21, 2019, 10:30:35 AM »
I really hope theaters put Infinity War back on the big screen as a double feature with Endgame.

Yesssss!!

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2482 on: March 21, 2019, 11:43:54 AM »
There are many good ways of describing Captain Marvel.

Then there's this:
:orly:
In heffese, that's a compliment.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2483 on: March 22, 2019, 11:39:12 AM »
Out of curiosity, how do you all watch the MCU? I only have a handful of them on Blu-ray (Black Panther, Infinity War, Ragnarok, Homecoming), and eventually I'll get them all on Blu-ray, but I've started renting them through YouTube.

I rented Iron Man last weekend, and I think I might have an Avengers marathon this weekend thanks to YouTube rentals (Avengers -> Age of Ultron -> Civil War -> maybe watch Infinity War for the millionth time).

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2484 on: March 22, 2019, 11:46:17 AM »
Out of curiosity, how do you all watch the MCU? I only have a handful of them on Blu-ray (Black Panther, Infinity War, Ragnarok, Homecoming), and eventually I'll get them all on Blu-ray, but I've started renting them through YouTube.

I rented Iron Man last weekend, and I think I might have an Avengers marathon this weekend thanks to YouTube rentals (Avengers -> Age of Ultron -> Civil War -> maybe watch Infinity War for the millionth time).

I've rented every one of them except Spider Man Homecoming and Ant Man & The Wasp, and only saw Avengers 1 in the theater. 

I only own a few of the Phase 1 movies (Iron Man, Thor, CA/First Avenger, and The Avengers).  The rest I have rented and then waited for repeat viewings once they hit cable TV or lately, Netflix.

I'd love to own them all, but have never kept up with buying the discs.  Now, the idea of buying 20 blu rays and playing catch up takes a lot less of a priority than other expenses that I have.