Author Topic: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe v2 (SPOILERS)  (Read 253411 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe *SPOILERS* 2
« Reply #2135 on: January 15, 2019, 09:02:05 AM »
So does anyone else think there's still a possibility that this movie is set before Infinity War? I mean, I dunno.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2136 on: January 15, 2019, 09:16:46 AM »
Slim possibility.  There would just be obvious continuity .... inconsistencies.  Like, why wouldn't Peter mention his meetup with Fury in IW, or the run in with Mysterio.  The multiple suits ... how does he have them if not for Tony?

Unless Endgame retcons some of the events of IW.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2137 on: January 15, 2019, 09:16:59 AM »
So does anyone else think there's still a possibility that this movie is set before Infinity War? I mean, I dunno.

I've read that it picks up very close to the end of Endgame.

Sony/Marvel were in a conundrum - hold all marketing until after Endgame, or market the movie in a traditional timeframe and spoil the "resurrection" of Spider Man.  They've chosen the latter.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #2138 on: January 15, 2019, 09:23:01 AM »
If I hadn't read before that this Spiderman is set after Endgame I wouldn't have known it from that trailer. Assuming that's still true then this trailer definitely made sure to be ambiguous enough to appear as if it could be set before Infinity War. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the marketing plan - people who read all the behind the scenes stuff, production info, interviews etc. might know it's going to be set after Avengers but marketing will be ambiguous about chronology and consistent with a film that was set before Avengers Infinity War so a little bit of uncertainty is preserved in general audiences about the status of the universe after Endgame.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2139 on: January 15, 2019, 09:50:23 AM »
:iagree:

I'd bet next week's paycheque that this will be set after Endgame, but the marketing up until May will be non-committal.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2140 on: January 15, 2019, 01:47:44 PM »
I think they'll know by the end of the film.  That tight control over his secret identity is slowly slipping away.  It wouldn't surprise me if maybe something like that entire H.S. group other than Flash knew by the end of the film.

After watching the trailer one more time, I actually think that maybe Flash DOES know.  Hard to say.

By the way, the international trailer has an additional sequence in the beginning of Peter getting stopped going through customers.  :lol  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V38cLTYYXNw
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2141 on: January 15, 2019, 06:30:28 PM »
I am lost, what Flash?

Online Adami

« Reply #2142 on: January 15, 2019, 06:36:56 PM »
Slim possibility.  There would just be obvious continuity .... inconsistencies.  Like, why wouldn't Peter mention his meetup with Fury in IW, or the run in with Mysterio.  The multiple suits ... how does he have them if not for Tony?

Unless Endgame retcons some of the events of IW.

It's probably after Endgame. That said, some of those aren't inconsistencies. Most people don't mention stuff from their previous movies. Peter never mentioned Vulture in Infinity War. Thor didn't mention Maliketh. Cap didn't mention the old man and the gun. etc.

The multiple suits, who knows? Maybe Fury supplied them. Maybe Tony also gave them to him and he just didn't have them when on the bus in Infinity War.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Adami

« Reply #2143 on: January 15, 2019, 06:38:02 PM »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2144 on: January 16, 2019, 02:32:36 PM »
 :lol

Online Adami

« Reply #2145 on: January 16, 2019, 02:34:41 PM »
Okay, so here's a completely insane and obviously not at all true theory about Far From Home.

What the trailer showed us. Spidey is there. Fury and Hill are there. Tony...implied he's not.

A lot of people (even though I don't fully agree) have said that after the halfening, the people who dusted were moved to the soul gem. What if this is that world? So this could be taking place between IF and Endgame. Eh?

Obviously not, but still a cool little idea.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2146 on: January 17, 2019, 07:10:15 AM »
Okay, so here's a completely insane and obviously not at all true theory about Far From Home.

What the trailer showed us. Spidey is there. Fury and Hill are there. Tony...implied he's not.

A lot of people (even though I don't fully agree) have said that after the halfening, the people who dusted were moved to the soul gem. What if this is that world? So this could be taking place between IF and Endgame. Eh?

Obviously not, but still a cool little idea.

Cool theory but I think Kevin Feige confirmed that it takes place after End Game.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2147 on: January 18, 2019, 08:19:30 PM »
The Punisher season 2 dropped today and nobody posted about it? Just watched the first episode and it was a bit slow but it got crazy at the end. Good way to start the season :tup
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2148 on: January 18, 2019, 08:21:11 PM »
The Punisher season 2 dropped today and nobody posted about it? Just watched the first episode and it was a bit slow but it got crazy at the end. Good way to start the season :tup

There’s a whole thread for it.

Can’t wait to watch. I’m about to walk in to see ‘Glass’
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2149 on: January 18, 2019, 09:36:05 PM »

There’s a whole thread for it.

Totally missed this :facepalm:
Thank you.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2150 on: January 19, 2019, 01:25:41 AM »

A bit slow? You mean they let Frankie get some lovin before he goes into 13 episodes of blood and mayhem.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2151 on: January 19, 2019, 05:36:47 AM »

A bit slow? You mean they let Frankie get some lovin before he goes into 13 episodes of blood and mayhem.

Exactly :lol
I just thought it felt slow for the opening episode of the season, still I enjoyed it very much.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2152 on: January 19, 2019, 09:56:51 AM »
Is 'Glass' a Marvel property?

Anyway, I saw Glass last night and while I liked it....I think SPLIT was a touch better. 'Glass' had a strong opening and closing section....but the middle did drag a bit. Nevertheless, I still enjoyed it and think the characters/story received proper treatment for the third (and most likely) final film of that trilogy.

James McAvoy once again shines in that role....and honestly, without his performance in either movie they both would downgrade significantly as far as their palatability. He was pushed even further in 'Glass'. 
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online Adami

« Reply #2153 on: January 19, 2019, 10:02:22 AM »
Glass is a Shamalamadingdong property. Not an existing IP as far as I know. Just his original creation.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2154 on: January 25, 2019, 10:19:55 AM »
I'm at the point in AOS season 5 where...

***********MAJOR SPOILERS IF YOU HAVENT' SEEN IT*****************

...Yo-Yo slashed Ruby's throat and Talbot apparently became the "Destroyer of Worlds."  I think this season is easily simultaneously the darkest and funniest.  The show is so dark and heavy, so having the humor be so spot-on and so self-aware strikes a really nice balance.  A few observations:

1.  The moral dilemmas presented this season are really interesting and thought-provoking.  And there have been plenty.  For a moment, I want to focus on the one of Fitz disassociating into "the Doctor" and removing Daisy's inhibitor against her will.  This was so interesting on so many levels!  And I'm glad they are showing the fallout from it in the relationship between Fitz and Daisy deteriorating and being filled with tension, and that spilling over into other relationships as well.  Daisy obviously feels violated, and that is real.  And it is interesting because what happened is in many says akin to rape in that you have a man using power and asserting dominance over a woman to physically violate her against her will.  And at the same time, while it may be similar to rape, it isn't rape.  And that takes a subject that is already incredibly emotionally charged and difficult to process and makes it even more difficult to process.  Fitz on the other hand, cannot bring himself to apologize.  Does he regret what he did?  Yes.  Would he have done it if he had it to do all over again?  Yes, because he believed it was necessary (and it probably was).  And the interesting internal debate for these characters (and external debate for us, should we choose to engage in it) is:  To what extent does the second "yes" negate or diminish the first "yes?"  And does it matter?  How far are we willing to go for the "greater good" when billions of lives are at stake?  Interesting question.  And the fact that the characters cannot immediately (or likely, ever) deal with it and find closure really highlights this truly being a moral dilemma.

2.  The other big moral dilemma at this stage of the story was Yo-Yo's killing of Ruby.  And I get the angst over it.  But, to me, this a lesser dilemma.  I mean, the taking of any life ever for any reason should be a really big deal.  But Ruby was clearly a sociopath who was incapable of any kind of empathy, had been infused with who knows how much power, and was losing control.  Everything the team had seen in the future seemed to be pointing to that one moment.  And Yo-Yo made a VERY hard judgment call that probably needed to be made at that moment.  Maybe it was the wrong call.  Maybe it actually made things worse and pushed them farther down the path to cataclysm.  But every indication prior to that was that it was probably the right call. 

3.  Related to the above, I am once again getting really tired of Mack.  He certainly has moments where he shines, especially this season.  But he is far too rigid and stubborn--irrationally so on MANY occasions.  And this is one of them.  He needs to listen to Yo-Yo and be there for her, but he can't because everything is so black-and-white to him, and he cannot deal with anything that is outside his own box.  That doesn't mean he needs to blindly accept.  But he is too rigid to even sympathize, and that severely detracts from his likeability.

4.  Going back a few episodes, I loved the moment between Jemma and Deke where he revealed that she was his grandmother.  That was SO touching and SO well-done.  And her losing control and throwing up was such well-timed humor.  Not sure if it also signals that she is pregnant.  But even if it does not signal that she actually is, it was still surely meant to convey the double meaning that she will be.  But that scene was just amazing.  Reveals like that tend to be so on-the-nose.  This was too, but in a way that had genuine emotional impact.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2155 on: January 25, 2019, 04:37:32 PM »
Looks like I have to watch that AOS season again, it was a great ride. Glad you’re enjoying it, Bosk!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2156 on: January 25, 2019, 10:22:43 PM »
Bosk, I agree with everything you said above about AoS.  Serious shit, but also fun, engaging, and overall well-written and well-acted.  The past couple of seasons, they really kicked it into high gear and it's been a fun ride.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2157 on: January 29, 2019, 09:29:57 AM »
So...finished! 

******************SPOILERS*****************

Just...wow.  There were some spots where I felt the season kind of went off the rails a little bit.  But they always managed to somehow keep bringing massive payoffs.  For instance, I was starting to feel like the fear dimension stuff was a bit corny and unnecessary.  But then when it seemed like the series was bogging down a bit with that little sideshow, we got the awesome subversion of Dr. Fitz, but it's actually really just Fitz! :omg:  That was brilliant. 

Anyhow, the season wrapped up in a really satisfying way, IMO.  The team had completely fallen apart, but somehow came back together and came back to who they were as people and as a family.  There was the tragedy of Talbot.  There was what I consider to be a pretty satisfying tie-in with Infinity War.  I was reading an article that argued that the tie-in actually severely undermined and cheapened AOS as a franchise, but I disagree.  Having the threat of Thanos and the opportunism of The Confederacy being the catalyst for pretty much everything that happened made it feel to me like the Marvel universe was cohesive.  It added more layers to the bigger ongoing conflict in the MCU as a whole:  Thanos' quest for the infinity stones.  And it was a great way for the series to deal with the events of Infinity War while adroitly sidestepping the Decimation.  I'm not sure how early in the season 5 story development the AOS creators had enough info to make that tie-in.  Maybe they had it early on and it was integral to the writing.  Or maybe they got it part way through the season and had to retcon their plans a bit.  But either way, I thought it ended up working really, really well.

Oh, and let's not forget Fitz.  Even before he died, I had wondered about Fizsicle in space and how that was going to work, assuming they averted the destruction of the earth.  And yet, his death still totally got me.  And that had to be one of the most emotional and well-acted screen deaths ever. 

Anyhow, this was a great season.  It may just be my favorite.  Yeah, it got wonky at times.  But I think it really says something about a series or a film when you can acknowledge that it went off the rails or at least came close a few times, and still feel like they more than made up for it and gave you something really enjoyable and satisfying as a whole. 

Overall, AOS is right up there with Galactica as being one of the truly great sci-fi series of all time.  Both had really compelling stories and fantastic long-term character development.  Both also had flaws.  And that's okay.  It's a shame The Sarah Connor Chronicles got prematurely canceled, as it should have been right up there as well.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 10:17:40 AM by bosk1 »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2158 on: January 29, 2019, 01:21:33 PM »
Once again, I agree completely.  AoS got pretty nuts there for a while, but brought it home in style.  Even the "season finale which might end up being the series finale but we don't know yet" was done well.  We could stop here and feel satisfied.  Or there could be another chapter without massive handwaving.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2159 on: January 29, 2019, 07:33:44 PM »
Black panther is going play on selected theaters for free from Feb 1st - 7th, in celebration of black history month. Can’t help but think this is just publicity to push for a win at the Oscar.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2160 on: January 30, 2019, 06:12:21 AM »
Black panther is going play on selected theaters for free from Feb 1st - 7th, in celebration of black history month. Can’t help but think this is just publicity to push for a win at the Oscar.
Of course it is.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2161 on: January 30, 2019, 07:20:35 AM »
Is there an award for tricking the most people into thinking your movie is better than it actually is?

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #2162 on: January 30, 2019, 08:35:19 AM »
Is there an award for tricking the most people into thinking your movie is better than it actually is?
Yes, usually it’s the best picture award  :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2163 on: January 30, 2019, 08:37:51 AM »
I was thinking advertising awards for movie trailers.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2164 on: January 30, 2019, 10:04:56 AM »
Black Panther was just ok. Kinda boring, nothing special. I do like the character, but he was more entertaining in the other movies he was in.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2165 on: January 30, 2019, 10:30:28 AM »
Once again, I agree completely.  AoS got pretty nuts there for a while, but brought it home in style.  Even the "season finale which might end up being the series finale but we don't know yet" was done well.  We could stop here and feel satisfied.  Or there could be another chapter without massive handwaving.

... and right on cue, we get the trailer.  This looks interesting as fuck.  Convenient that it's not coming out until after Endgame.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2166 on: January 30, 2019, 10:33:07 AM »

... and right on cue, we get the trailer.  This looks interesting as fuck.  Convenient that it's not coming out until after Endgame.

And here's the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trDSntuNMSU&t=0s  :biggrin:

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2167 on: January 30, 2019, 11:39:06 AM »
Thanks!  I was gonna say "Don't tease me like that!"

Looks good.  I know they've been pushing Mack as the new leader of the group, or at least hinting at it for a while, but I've just never seen it.  He strikes me as an excellent follower, someone you'd definitely want on your side, but not leader material.  On the other hand, May would outright refuse the gig, as would everyone else left, except Jemma.  I thought she was kinduv on the fast track for a while, being Director Mace's right-hand person back during that storyline.

Whatever, they'll explain it, it'll be okay, we'll move on from there.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2168 on: January 30, 2019, 02:52:12 PM »
I guess I finished S5 right on time!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2169 on: February 01, 2019, 12:25:46 PM »
Regarding the new trailer that is supposed to drop on Sunday [SPOILER-FREE]:

Our long wait for more Avengers: Endgame footage is finally over, as it’s now been confirmed that we’ll see a new TV spot on Sunday, February 3rd during Super Bowl LIII. The inclusion of the promo on Super Bowl Sunday has been rumored for a very long time, but now it’s just a matter of counting down the days until it airs, and while the first trailer was rather sombre and low-key, the nature of Super Bowl ads means that Marvel Studios will be eager to dazzle audiences with some of the more impressive sequences from the film.

This should, in turn, give us a much better idea of what Endgame‘s going to be about. Right now, we have a bunch of disconnected jigsaw pieces . . . . Hopefully, this new footage will let us assemble those pieces into a whole that shows us the basic story of the film and hints at how our heroes will finally take down Thanos.

Regarding the bolded:  "Hopefully?"  ???  Really?  Who would want this?