Author Topic: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe v2 (SPOILERS)  (Read 248385 times)

Offline gzarruk

Re: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe *SPOILERS* 2
« Reply #1575 on: June 19, 2018, 09:33:52 AM »
Hang in there. It's a great (and emotional) season.

Indeed, it’s a very emotional and amazing season.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #1576 on: June 20, 2018, 08:53:05 PM »
I am going to sound like a complete dork, that said. I am a Marvel geek. I again re watched Infinity War for like the tenth time. I pick up something new everytime I watch it. For a semi culmination of a 10 year franchise it is a pure brilliant movie. To take  on a MASSIVE story and keep the characters as  they have evolved is pure brilliance, The Russo Bros made an iconic film. I know its not gonna get Oscar nods, but it should be considered for a best picture nod

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1577 on: June 20, 2018, 10:14:13 PM »
I am going to sound like a complete dork, that said. I am a Marvel geek. I again re watched Infinity War for like the tenth time. I pick up something new everytime I watch it. For a semi culmination of a 10 year franchise it is a pure brilliant movie. To take  on a MASSIVE story and keep the characters as  they have evolved is pure brilliance, The Russo Bros made an iconic film. I know its not gonna get Oscar nods, but it should be considered for a best picture nod

IW is now my favorite film of all time. Can't wait for it to be released on blu-ray.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #1578 on: June 20, 2018, 10:24:44 PM »
besides Jaws I think it s my fav film ever.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1579 on: June 21, 2018, 04:14:12 AM »
I’m a bit torn on subjects like these. While Infinity War is indeed my favorite movie of 2018 so far, I actually don’t feel excited over the hypothetical scenario that it receives a best pictute nomination. In my mind, that’s not what the Oscars are or what they should be. I’d much rather the nominations go to the artsy, dark, low key, philosophical, and deep films that usually get them. Infinity War can get the technical nods, I wouldn’t mind that. It deserves it, and it’ll do fine with those. I LOVE it to pieces, but not among the best picture nominees.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1580 on: June 21, 2018, 04:31:01 AM »
I agree.  Oscars are typically (and I'm fine with it) reserved for critical acclaim, not popular acclaim.  Generating $2B in revenue is enough recognition that it's a fantastic film.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #1581 on: June 21, 2018, 09:05:45 AM »
Trust me I see your points. I am a film geek and appreciate an "Oscar" worthy type film. I do not care much money a film makes.

I just find the film well done and wrtten

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1582 on: June 22, 2018, 07:51:21 PM »
I actually think it will get a nomination, if only out of respect for what they've managed to accomplish with the franchise.

On another note, digging into Luke Cage S2. I know feelings were mixed here on S1, but I fucking loved it.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1583 on: June 22, 2018, 08:42:29 PM »
I actually think it will get a nomination, if only out of respect for what they've managed to accomplish with the franchise.

On another note, digging into Luke Cage S2. I know feelings were mixed here on S1, but I fucking loved it.

I didn't even realize S2 was released today. I wasn't a big fan of S1, but will still check this season out when I get enough time to watch it (maybe in a couple weeks).

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1584 on: June 23, 2018, 05:12:47 AM »
S1 was fantastic until Cottonmouth bought it, and Diamondback became the main antagonist.  Those last 4 episodes were pretty bad.

I'm looking forward to the return of Mariah though.  Love me some Alfre Woodard.

jingle.son and I still have 2 episodes of JJ to finish off, plus the second 1/2 of the season for Agents of Shield.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1585 on: June 23, 2018, 05:46:33 AM »
Yeah first half of S1 was brilliant, on a par with the other Netflix shows, second half was kind of terrible. I read that the show runners have realised the error in it, so hopefully S2 will be more consistent!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1586 on: June 23, 2018, 06:04:53 AM »
We've finished episode 3 of LC S2 last night. Damn, some fine acting at the end there. Quite emotional and frightening.

I must say, the music for this series is fantastic. I'd forgotten.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1587 on: June 23, 2018, 05:08:55 PM »
We've finished episode 3 of LC S2 last night. Damn, some fine acting at the end there. Quite emotional and frightening.

I must say, the music for this series is fantastic. I'd forgotten.

I was coming in here to comment on exactly those two subjects. Yes, that ending was tremendously acted, left me quite speechless to be honest.

And yes, as someone who doesn't seek out the genres generally featured in the show, they manage to get musicians that are fucking killer, the two bluesmen especially in e3 and e4 were just killer.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #1588 on: June 23, 2018, 08:03:58 PM »
Just watched the first episode (Luke Cage Season 2). There was a scene of violence at the end of it that surprised me. I don’t remember the first season having that kind of graphic bloody violence. I’m not complaining.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1589 on: June 23, 2018, 10:38:31 PM »
Just watched the first episode (Luke Cage Season 2). There was a scene of violence at the end of it that surprised me. I don’t remember the first season having that kind of graphic bloody violence. I’m not complaining.

I know the exact moment, so brutal. Guess with what they got away with on Punisher, they feel they can push the limits on the other shows a bit more now.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1590 on: June 24, 2018, 05:38:15 PM »
Just watched infinity war and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Thanos was fantastic as a villain and they did a good job of building an interweaving story that wasn't a clusterfuck.

So one question though. Thanos just wanted to kill half the universe? that's it? Now what? I can understand him thinking he needs to sacrifice some people to save all people or whatever, but was the universe really out of balance?

Or does he just think that its out of balance?

« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 06:26:18 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1591 on: June 24, 2018, 07:20:05 PM »
Well, he's gone fairly mad so it's a good question. The way I see it is that it's not unreasonable of him to consider the universe out of balance. But with the gauntlet, clearly he doesn't need to kill half the universe as he can do pretty much anything so he could double the resources instead. But he's fixated on what he's done in the past when he didn't have the gauntlet, and which as far as he's concerned works.

But you could equally argue that the universe isn't even as unbalanced as he says.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1592 on: June 25, 2018, 09:16:42 AM »
And as I’ve said somwhere earlier in this thread, the resources/population ratio isn’t really the problem, it’s how you divide those resources. If half of the people in the world died today, the poorest people in Africa for example wouldn’t really be automatically better off because of that.

I think the best explanation is yeah, Thanos is quite literally mad.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1593 on: June 27, 2018, 01:07:05 PM »
So I finished watching Luke Cage season 2 and I have to say.................I REALLY loved it.

I heard the main complaints are the pacing and that it's too long, but I think that extra time is given to some of the best character development work I've seen on a Marvel show yet. This was an extremely well made show. The story arc's for everybody were incredibly well done. The acting was top notch. The music was great. The fight scenes were....servicable. And....they actually fixed Iron Fist, hopefully that carries over.

I didn't care for the final 5-10 minutes or so, but everyone else was stunning. I'd put this on a similar level to Daredevil season 1.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1594 on: June 27, 2018, 02:22:44 PM »
That's really awesome to hear, especially the way season 1 fell apart in the second half (IMO). Only 3 episodes in so far, but it's solid already.

EDIT: Oh and I really couldn't care less about the "too slow" complaint that gets levelled at all of the Marvel Netflix shows. They are all quite slow paced, but it allows for lots of good character stuff and I love it.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1595 on: June 28, 2018, 03:57:05 AM »
I watched the first episode of season 2 a few days ago. I’m sad to say that I was frustratingly uninterested in anything happening on screen.

Haven’t read comments about it here very carefully because of fear of spoilers, but I see that Adami likes it. I hope it gets better, because I will likely want to finish it at somr point. I just don’t feel any drive to do so now.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1596 on: June 28, 2018, 04:33:09 AM »
I watched the first episode of season 2 a few days ago. I’m sad to say that I was frustratingly uninterested in anything happening on screen.

Haven’t read comments about it here very carefully because of fear of spoilers, but I see that Adami likes it. I hope it gets better, because I will likely want to finish it at somr point. I just don’t feel any drive to do so now.

It’s very slow and character focused. So if you’re looking for a lot of fun action and stuff, this isn’t it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1597 on: June 28, 2018, 06:25:44 AM »
We finished it last night.

I'm not sure what to think of the ending (the last 15 minutes). It wasn't bad...it just seemed...off base? But the season overall was fantastic! Like Adami mentioned. There is a lot of dialog and actor to actor fireworks rather than fist fights, although there are a few big fight scenes.

The twists and turns of how we, the audience, were asked viewed those in opposition to Luke, was really interesting. Bushmaster, Mariah, Tilda, Hernan, his dad, Claire...all had believable, human, motivations. No black and while evil villain for this season. Marvel has gotten pretty good at this, I think.

And thank Thor, Danny Rand wasn't an annoying whiner. That was actually quite a good episode when he came to check on Luke.

Anyway, I loved it. I think Netflix has done a terrific job with both JJ2 and LC2. I give 'em  :tup :tup in a circle.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1598 on: June 28, 2018, 11:09:50 AM »
I wasn't gonna mention anything till a few more peeps saw it, but yeah they did redeem Rand a bit and the one scene where he's about to go on his "iron fist immortal blah blah" diatribe and Luke hella cuts him off was fucking priceless.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #1599 on: June 29, 2018, 01:15:19 PM »
Went to a screening of Ant -Man & Wasp.

Fun movie. Popcorn fun type. An upper from the way Infinity War ended. Better than the first one and I tend to like the first Ant-Man. Does not add much to what Avengers 4 will be......................except

That said, make sure you stay after the credits

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1600 on: June 29, 2018, 02:01:13 PM »
That said, make sure you stay after the credits

Honestly, who doesn't?  :lol

On another topic, I was thinking about something that perhaps nobody but me finds interesting, but I'll share it anyway.  Just one the subject of Marvel movie marathons, with so many out now, it's virtually impossible to do any kind of meaningful marathon, even spread over several weeks.  But I was thinking about doing it a little differently.  What about a marathon of the key films that cover certain character arcs?  For instance, what got me thinking about it was doing a marathon of Tony Stark's development and character arc, which would be:

Iron Man
Iron Man 2
Avengers
Iron Man 3
Age of Ultron
Civil War
Infinity War
[Avengers 4]

I guess if you really wanted to flesh it out, you could also add in Winter Soldier for the back story on Bucky being evil and add Spiderman for Tony developing into Peter's surrogate father figure.  But I don't view those as "essential" to the arc.  And, yes, I know many don't care for IM3.  But in terms of Tony's character development, it is absolutely crucial, so I would include it (aside from the fact that I really like it). 

You could do the same for others.  For instance, Cap:  The First Avenger>Avengers>Winter Soldier>Age of Ultron>Civil War>Infinity War.  Or Thor:  Thor>Avengers>Thor 2>[optional: Guardians, for infinity stone backstory and to flesh out his later interaction with the guardians]>Age of Ultron>Ragnarok>Infinity War.  Hulk:  Hulk>Avengers>Age of Ultron>Ragnarok>Infinity War.

Aside from Tony's, I actually think the Hulk arc would be the most fun.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1601 on: June 29, 2018, 08:41:51 PM »
I'm actually doing a movie every couple of weeks in chronological order.   I have it timed out so that when I finish all 19 movies, it will be time for Avengers 4.   

I watched CA:TFA two weeks ago, and I'm watching Iron Man this Sunday.   Then the Incredible Hulk in a couple of weeks....etc..etc..
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1602 on: July 05, 2018, 08:26:15 AM »
Never could push myself to finish Jessica Jones season 2 (an average family drama without the elements that made the first season great). and I hated The Defenders (looked incredibly cheap and the writing was abysmal). Thought Luke Cage season 1 was really too slow and Iron Fist was a mess but still an entertaining one. Maybe I will check out Luke Cage season 2 but I don't feel any urgency to do so.

Punisher and Daredevil is where it's at for me. And Agents of Shield, which turned out to be vastly superior to any of the Netflix stuff despite it's really bad start and so-so third season.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1603 on: July 05, 2018, 10:01:38 PM »
Saw Ant-Man and it was hilarious. Much funnier than the first one. I think this movie is the least serious MCU movie of them all. I had fun the entire time and definitely didn't feel or have any serious tone like infinity wars. Loved the mid and post credits. The wait for captain marvel and the next avengers movie is going to be excruciating.

Id say this was the most family friendly movie of them all.
It had lower than usual stakes and not much dread. Mostly feel-good stuff.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 10:12:25 PM by faizoff »
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1604 on: July 06, 2018, 09:04:16 AM »
That's good to hear.  I liked the first Ant-Man, and this one sounds awesome.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 10:10:48 PM by Orbert »

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1605 on: July 06, 2018, 09:59:12 PM »
Just got out, and I echo all those sentiments. Just a blast of a flick.

The wait for captain marvel and the next avengers movie is going to be excruciating.

Dude... So much this.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1606 on: July 08, 2018, 07:38:02 PM »
That post credit scene though...
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1607 on: July 08, 2018, 10:02:36 PM »
That post credit scene though...

I know...not even sure where to begin the speculation on how that'll fit into the bigger picture.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1608 on: July 13, 2018, 09:39:16 PM »
I was just re-watching Ragnorok and for the first time noticed the amount of influence Queen's soundtrack for Flash Gordon is in it. Good stuff..

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1609 on: July 13, 2018, 10:06:24 PM »
Just saw Ant Man. Very cool, fun movie, we had a lot of laughs :tup

THAT post credits scene, though. When can we discuss it? :eek