Author Topic: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe v2 (SPOILERS)  (Read 252855 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe *SPOILERS* 2
« Reply #1365 on: April 29, 2018, 07:02:58 PM »
What I love about the movie is it's all over the place but doesn't feel all over the place.  I usually don't like too many characters in a movie but because I've followed the MCU,  I'm invested in all these characters.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1366 on: April 30, 2018, 05:04:14 AM »

Good to see that Geddy Lee is getting out to the movies now that he's not touring with Rush..  :yarr
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1367 on: April 30, 2018, 05:07:26 AM »
Haven't seen the movie myself,  but it looks like it is a must see in the theaters. I just got around to watching Guardians of the Galaxy 2, fun movie!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 05:42:03 AM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #1368 on: April 30, 2018, 06:15:18 AM »
I really enjoyed IW. The MCU is really special and I'm trying to soak it in as much as possible while it's here. While not absolutely necessary, I would definitely recommend brushing up on the prior films if possible. Can't wait to see what happens next!
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1369 on: April 30, 2018, 07:31:11 AM »
We saw it in 3-D, because Mrs. Orbert made the reservations and didn't realize that it was a 3-D showing.  In general, I avoid 3-D because I wear prescription glasses, but apparently they've made some decent advances in 3-D tech the last 15 years or so because it rarely bothered me and even enhanced things a few times, quite noticeably.

It was pretty freakin' amazing.  So many characters, introduced individually or in small groups, unusual subgroupings, and each getting at least something reasonably interesting to do.  That can't have been easy to balance.  Ha ha, balance!  Anyway, I thought that that aspect of it was very well done.  And as others have said, even with all that, they had time for some character development, lingering shots, and even plenty of fun banter, each appropriate to the character(s) in the scene.  Very well written, and again it can't be easy to write for so many different characters and different styles.

I'm not surprised that the end credits seemed to last like 20 minutes (I'm sure it was closer to 10, not sure by how much) and of course some people didn't stick around for the post-credits scene.  Seriously?  How many Marvel movies have you seen, and you don't know that there can be one or more "extra" scenes?  I've heard some people say that they avoid them.  Why?  They're not spoilers as such.  They're actually small (and sometimes large) parts of the legitimate overall story.

Anyway, it was a pretty good flick.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1370 on: April 30, 2018, 07:36:17 AM »
I can only suspect anyone NOT sticking around for the post-credits scene is on their 2nd (or more) viewing, and has seen it already.  When we go this afternoon, I'm not sure I'll see the need to stick around the extra 10 minutes.  We'll see.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1371 on: April 30, 2018, 07:39:07 AM »
The trailers nowadays are purposely adding footage that is not in the movie to throw off people's expectations I think. Also as it happens the trailer is made by another marketing team not connected with the movie making process.

Sometimes plans changes when editing and they leave out or change things that were shown in the trailer.

There's footage from the official Avatar trailer that was only in the Extended director's cut

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1372 on: April 30, 2018, 08:53:14 AM »
I think another reason to add fake footage into the trailers is because so many people are leaking photos and stuff from sets. I remember seeing news stories pop up about photos taken of Game of Thrones while they were filming seasons 6 and 7 and they had to film fake scenes just to keep things hazy. Same with Walking Dead.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1373 on: April 30, 2018, 09:32:45 AM »
I can only suspect anyone NOT sticking around for the post-credits scene is on their 2nd (or more) viewing, and has seen it already.  When we go this afternoon, I'm not sure I'll see the need to stick around the extra 10 minutes.  We'll see.

Okay, I hadn't thought of that.   :facepalm:

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1374 on: April 30, 2018, 11:19:22 AM »
Spoilery comment, but I just made this connection...

The way Drax and Mantis were killed via the reality stone at Knowhere - those were the same ways Thanos took out (I believe) Nebula and Eros in the comics. Far out.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1375 on: April 30, 2018, 12:10:49 PM »
Spoilery comment, but I just made this connection...

The way Drax and Mantis were killed via the reality stone at Knowhere - those were the same ways Thanos took out (I believe) Nebula and Eros in the comics. Far out.

Indeed, you are correct!  Now all he needs to do is turn someone into glass like he did to Thor in the comics.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #1376 on: April 30, 2018, 01:07:43 PM »
Sooo while I have a few moderate complaints about Infinity War, one that sticks out like a thor sumb is Drax. He has become the Jar Jar Binks of the MCU.

There, I said it.

I hate what they've done with his character in Vol. 2 and IW

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1377 on: April 30, 2018, 03:16:05 PM »
I didn't care for Drax in vol.2 at all but loved him in Infinity War. I thought they brought him back to how he was in the first GotG.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1378 on: April 30, 2018, 04:15:07 PM »
GotG vol.2 had a lot of jokes that fell flat in general to be honest, no matter which character. I only enjoyed that film because I thought the villain was well executed and it had good dramatic arcs. That said, Drax is probably one of the crowd/fanbase favourites in terms of humor, which is exactly why he got plenty of jokes in Infinity War. Unlike the travesty that was Jar Jar Binks, whom they quickly pushed to the background as much as possible in every film that followed SW ep I for good reason.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1379 on: April 30, 2018, 07:20:15 PM »
Just got back from my 2nd viewing, and I'm gonna break the seal now.  Warning, full sized font SPOILERS BELOW.

There's so many moments to love, I could probably rhyme off a couple dozen, but my favorites were:

Thor riding the Bifrost into Wakanda, and kicking some serious ass.
The entire fight sequence on Titan, but especially the tricks that Dr. Strange pulled out - ESPECIALLY multi-Strange.  The theatre marked out big time for that.  Strange (not Hulk or Thor) is the most powerful hero.  The soundtrack brought so much to the Strange fight sequences.
Wanda... fuck she's awesome.  And the chick fight between Proxima/Okoye/Wanda/Nat was an excellent call.  Women power!
The return of Cap in the train station.
Ebony Maw... he was awesome.  Wish we had more of him.  One cool ass bad mofo.
All the ways that Thanos used the Gauntlet/gems.  So nicely done.
And Thanos... Brolin was awesome.  Conveyed so much of emotion so well.  Best villain ever.
The emotion on Okoye's face when T'Challa evaporated... great acting job.
CGI was virtually flawless.  This was a comic book come to life.  Loved it.

This was an action packed ride that barely took a moments rest at all.  Still a few minor issues, but other than Gamora giving up the location of the Soul Gem so easily, I can look past all of the rest.  Some of the humour was too much and unnecessary.  I just wish they hadn't killed all of the Black Order.

And I think did well to bring Drax back on path to the Vol 1 character.  I didn't like the Vol 2 version of him, so was pleased how he was portrayed this time.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1380 on: April 30, 2018, 09:37:55 PM »
I'm so torn on Drax.

On the one hand, he bares virtually no resemblance (personality wise) to his comic counterpart. On the other...he's mostly pretty damn funny.

I think he needs to be more serious. He is a god damn destroyer. Give THAT man all the fighting scenes. Let him show how awesome he is at things beyond cracking jokes.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Adami

« Reply #1381 on: April 30, 2018, 09:53:49 PM »
Quick question regarding the time line (discounting the Spider-man 8 years later issue). Not sure if it's spoilers, but I'll put it below, just in case.

Maybe spoilers?

So this movie, I'm pretty sure, made it clear that Civil War was 2 years ago. Which would make Peter...17? So unless Spider-Man 2 is before IW, he'll either be a senior in HS or even out of HS. No way can he still be 15.

Also doesn't BP take place right after CW too? So that means BP took place 2 years ago?

Just wondering.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1382 on: May 01, 2018, 01:06:45 AM »
I think Drax is genuilnly hilarious for the most part.

Okay, I've seen the movie twice now and have more of a grasp of how I feel about it. I waited to sort of make up my mind until I'd seen it a second time, but now that I have I can confidently say that I LOVE this movie.

Thanos has been hyped for so long now so it was incredibly satisfying to see that he is the best villain in the entire MCU.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1383 on: May 01, 2018, 04:25:28 AM »
I think Drax is genuilnly hilarious for the most part.

Okay, I've seen the movie twice now and have more of a grasp of how I feel about it. I waited to sort of make up my mind until I'd seen it a second time, but now that I have I can confidently say that I LOVE this movie.

Thanos has been hyped for so long now so it was incredibly satisfying to see that he is the best villain in the entire MCU.

I don't know. You can make arguments for other villians being better, particularly Killmonger.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1384 on: May 01, 2018, 05:01:26 AM »
I'll also state the obvious that having Thanos do what he did created a massive plothole. Why not just double the resources?

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1385 on: May 01, 2018, 05:08:49 AM »
That's a pretty funny observation, and it makes a lot of sense. As does the fact that under capitalist systems (or any really) just reducing the population won't solve anything, it's the distrobution of resources that is the problem, not necessarily the amount of it. Honestly, I don't mind these "plot holes". Keeping them in mind don't deminish the fact that I had a freakin' blast watching this movie.

I don't know. You can make arguments for other villians being better, particularly Killmonger.

Of course you can, but I just don't think Killmonger was better. He was really good for the most part, but I liked Thanos more than any other villain I've seen in the MCU.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1386 on: May 01, 2018, 05:34:05 AM »

Not even close.  Frankly, I thought Killmonger (as a character) was fairly ordinary - especially his motives.

@ Adami... I can do without the lobotomized version of Drax, but the Destroyer/ass-whooping/born-to-kill-Thanos version I like.  Maybe he'll come back that way.

I'll also state the obvious that having Thanos do what he did created a massive plothole. Why not just double the resources?

True, but Thanos is insane.  His motivations on the surface may be to save the universe, but to his core, he's a genocidal maniac.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1387 on: May 01, 2018, 06:23:10 AM »
Ok, saw it last night. Now I can read the last weeks worth of posts. BRB

[edit]

Yeah, our reaction to the movie was pretty much as discussed. My first thought was:

My second thought, as we were walking out (Yes there was that much time between my thoughts), was, "George Martin must be blushing." Which made me start laughing out loud, which made me receive a shit-ton of nerd stares of advanced hatred. Mrs. P asked me what was so funny and when I told her she started laughing too.

I don't know... that movie was a real experience. Stunning really. I had no expectations, yet even if I had I'm sure it would have exceeded them. I mean, come on, dude reached up in the sky, grabbed the moon and threw it at his enemies. THAT, was intimidating!  :lol

I loved, LOVED, how Hulk gets totally bitch slapped to start the movie and is way too afraid to come out the rest of the time. It gave Ruffalo some excellent, non-cgi (kinda) screen time.  :tup

I don't usually do this, but I'm definitely going back to see it at the theater again.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 07:08:20 AM by Podaar »
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1388 on: May 01, 2018, 07:15:14 AM »

Not even close.  Frankly, I thought Killmonger (as a character) was fairly ordinary - especially his motives.

Yeah, I've never got the love for Killmonger. He was cool, and tough, but not quite relatable enough.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1389 on: May 01, 2018, 07:39:16 AM »

True, but Thanos is insane.  His motivations on the surface may be to save the universe, but to his core, he's a genocidal maniac.

To further on this point, the reason Thanos takes the 'reduction' approach vs 'double resources' approach is because BEFORE he had the gauntlet and gems, he ravaged and killed 1/2 the population of wherever he went - he didn't have the ability to double resources, only the ability to purge.  So again, while he may have started with altruistic and benevolent motives, it's a ruse now, as he has become (and remains) a genocidal maniac - the Mad Titan.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1390 on: May 01, 2018, 08:41:19 AM »
Ok, saw it last night. Now I can read the last weeks worth of posts. BRB

[edit]

Yeah, our reaction to the movie was pretty much as discussed. My first thought was:

My second thought, as we were walking out (Yes there was that much time between my thoughts), was, "George Martin must be blushing." Which made me start laughing out loud, which made me receive a shit-ton of nerd stares of advanced hatred. Mrs. P asked me what was so funny and when I told her she started laughing too.

I don't get the George Martin comparison. No one died at the end of IW. There's all gonna come back for future movies to make Disney/Marvel future monies.  George Martin, with few exceptions, all-the-way kills people. Totally different than this, a cop-out cliffhanger, in my opinion.

To further on this point, the reason Thanos takes the 'reduction' approach vs 'double resources' approach is because BEFORE he had the gauntlet and gems, he ravaged and killed 1/2 the population of wherever he went - he didn't have the ability to double resources, only the ability to purge.  So again, while he may have started with altruistic and benevolent motives, it's a ruse now, as he has become (and remains) a genocidal maniac - the Mad Titan.

The comic book Thanos lived up to his moniker. This one, not so much. He was cold and calculated. Nothing mad, or insane about his plan and execution, well, other than the whole-mass murder thing. His very reasoning was categorically different in the comics, and without that piece (which may or may not come later), the execution was flawed, in my opinion. Sure, it makes for great popcorn smashing entertainment, but this Thanos isn't a "great" villain imo.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 09:14:29 AM by Destiny Of Chaos »

Offline Adami

« Reply #1391 on: May 01, 2018, 08:46:38 AM »
Spoilers....

I wouldn't call Thano's plan a plot hole. You'd just do it differently. Disagreeing with the villain isn't a plot hole, or else almost every villain's plan is a plot hole.

I loved Killmonger, but I thought his over all plan wasn't very good. Hardly a plot hole.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1392 on: May 01, 2018, 09:13:37 AM »
Spoilers....

I wouldn't call Thano's plan a plot hole. You'd just do it differently. Disagreeing with the villain isn't a plot hole, or else almost every villain's plan is a plot hole.

I loved Killmonger, but I thought his over all plan wasn't very good. Hardly a plot hole.

I would... and many others have. Huge plot hole. Poorly executed as presented. Sure they'll so some damage control/cleanup in the next film.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/4/30/17290142/avengers-infinity-war-explained-ending-thanos

Offline Adami

« Reply #1393 on: May 01, 2018, 09:17:41 AM »
Eh Just sounds like it wasn't for you. All good.

Spoilers...

And just to address your initial complaint, doubling the resources wouldn't have done anything either. In the end, his goal isn't actually attainable. Doubled resources would take longer, but would still be devoured. Infinite resources isn't possible either. Plus....he's the mad Titan. He was thinking very short term and feasible prior to getting the gauntlet. He was driven mad by his goal and was trying to accomplish it the only way he could. Who knows how long he spent trying to achieve that goal? To him, it made perfect sense.

Like I said, sounds like the film just wasn't for you. And while many people have pointed out that his plan isn't feasible, I haven't heard many of them declare it an unforgivable plot hole that Marvel will have to totally retcon in the next film.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 09:33:59 AM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1394 on: May 01, 2018, 09:43:21 AM »
I don't get the George Martin comparison. No one died at the end of IW. There's all gonna come back for future movies to make Disney/Marvel future monies.  George Martin, with few exceptions, all-the-way kills people. Totally different than this, a cop-out cliffhanger, in my opinion.

Well, not being a comic book reader or having any idea of what the up coming movies are, and not having any insider knowledge of the bolded part of your post, I just watched a movie where half the universe was killed with the snap of a finger. Seemed pretty ruthless to me.

Look, I'm just a guy who enjoys Marvel movies when they are presented as they are presented. You may be right, but I don't know you are. I'll wait and see what is comes. I think it would be cool if some other character takes up the mantel of those who died, like T'Challa's sister as the Black Panther for example. But if they don't, and they give me a cool and compelling reason to bring folks back (as you are suggesting) I'm cool with that too.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1395 on: May 01, 2018, 09:50:29 AM »

Well, not being a comic book reader or having any idea of what the up coming movies are, and not having any insider knowledge of the bolded part of your post, I just watched a movie where half the universe was killed with the snap of a finger. Seemed pretty ruthless to me.

Look, I'm just a guy who enjoys Marvel movies when they are presented as they are presented. You may be right, but I don't know you are. I'll wait and see what is comes. I think it would be cool if some other character takes up the mantel of those who died, like T'Challa's sister as the Black Panther for example. But if they don't, and they give me a cool and compelling reason to bring folks back (as you are suggesting) I'm cool with that too.

I can appreciate that sentiment, and I wasn't intending on trying to rain on your parade. But with sequels confirmed for Spider-Man and The Black Panther (granted, they could be prequels or otherwise taking place prior to the events of IW), one wouldn't need knowledge of the comics to understand that Disney/Marvel aren't going to needless kill off their money-making heroes, especially the new generation.  Cycling out the original heroes/villains that have been there for years, I would understand that.

Now the MCU has gone "full retard" (to borrow a RDJr quote from another movie), anything shocking thing that they choose to do can be simply undone. Time can be reversed. Anything can happen, or be reversed. Not a lot of suspense in that form of storytelling.  Seeing GRRM have a beloved character's head chopped off, then seeing it mounted to a spike brings a finality to it, if that makes sense.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1396 on: May 01, 2018, 09:51:04 AM »
TLDR VERSION: “The book was better.”

;D :angel:

But seriously, you have to remember that the vast majority of the followers of the films (muse included) have NEVER read the comic book. And I prefer it that way. I don’t want to have what is coming next to be spoiled or tainted by preconceived notions.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1397 on: May 01, 2018, 09:53:03 AM »

But seriously, you have to remember that the vast majority of the followers of the films (muse included) have NEVER read the comic book. And I prefer it that way. I don’t want to have what is coming next to be spoiled or tainted by preconceived notions.

In my defense, the next Avengers comic that I pick up, will be the first. Don't read comics... but don't care much for cop-out cliffhangers in my storytelling. This is why I hated the season 5 finale of GoT (if you watch).

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #1398 on: May 01, 2018, 10:05:29 AM »

In my defense, the next Avengers comic that I pick up, will be the first. Don't read comics... but don't care much for cop-out cliffhangers in my storytelling. This is why I hated the season 5 finale of GoT (if you watch).

You keep saying "cop-out cliffhanger" as if that's what happened. A cliffhanger is something that leaves you questioning WHAT HAPPENED. That's not what was done here. Thanos won. The Avengers lost. End of story. Sure, there are some Avengers left (namely, the original six and a smattering of others), so of course they can do another movie. But what happened in this movie was that Thanos had a plan, went to execute it, the Avengers tried to stop it but couldn't. Bunch of people died, but we know who they were and why they died. There's no cliffhanger here, just an ending you didn't seem to like.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1399 on: May 01, 2018, 10:14:22 AM »

You keep saying "cop-out cliffhanger" as if that's what happened. A cliffhanger is something that leaves you questioning WHAT HAPPENED. That's not what was done here. Thanos won. The Avengers lost. End of story. Sure, there are some Avengers left (namely, the original six and a smattering of others), so of course they can do another movie. But what happened in this movie was that Thanos had a plan, went to execute it, the Avengers tried to stop it but couldn't. Bunch of people died, but we know who they were and why they died. There's no cliffhanger here, just an ending you didn't seem to like.

I think I'm letting what I know cloud what I was presented with. I know that this was originally called Part 1. I know that There are sequels in the works for characters that disappeared. I know that this is all going according to what Dr. Strange perceives as the only path towards victory.

If this was a stand-alone film without all of that, then yes, no cliff hanger. But I think we ALL know better.