Author Topic: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe v2 (SPOILERS)  (Read 251249 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe v2 (SPOILERS)
« Reply #4130 on: January 18, 2021, 03:30:49 PM »
I will say this: I can't believe I've watched 17 - SEVENTEEN - movies in less than a month, all related to the larger story-line.  Every MCU film I watch makes me more disappointed in the Star Wars and DC universes, and how those franchises have underachieved.

They definitely set a high bar, but DC had no problem stumbling, falling down and simply crawling underneath that bar time after time.

And yet teh MCU... some I liked better (Dr. Strange; both Guardians) than others (The Incredible Hulk, Captain Marvel) but I have yet to watch one where I said "wow, that was a wasted two hours!".

The good thing is you took the plunge. I’ll never understand the reasoning of those who don’t.

I always meant to - although mostly DC and Fantastic Four, I'm a comic book fanboy from way back - but since I rarely see movies in the theater, it got to where I thought I would wait for a couple films to come out, then it quickly got to where I was WAY behind, it was out of hand so that it was almost daunting.  Finally with COVID and my daughter being home from school we bit the bullet. 

Ultron; I liked it a lot, actually.  Generally I like the interactions between the heroes, and I like Tony Stark, so the more that he's interacting with the other Avengers, I'm having a good time.   I'm a huge James Spader fan, so there's that, too; his voice was PERFECT for that character.   I'm still not sure I understand the Thanos storyline; I may need to supplement that a little bit.   I think the only criticism I can reasonably see for that movie is that it's the first time the number of characters gets a little unwieldly.   That, and it's the most we've seen of Clint Barton, who, frankly, does absolutely nothing for me (my daughter and I go around the house doing that stupid "shake" move where he opens his bow; we're not being complimentary, and we jokingly count his arrows).   Overall of the 17 I've seen, it's probably in the top half, but not in the top quarter if that makes sense.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #4131 on: January 18, 2021, 06:31:03 PM »
 :tup

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #4132 on: January 18, 2021, 07:10:45 PM »
I'm still not sure I understand the Thanos storyline; I may need to supplement that a little bit. 

If you haven't yet seen Infinity War/Endgame, then there's not much of a need to supplement it.  The films do a really good job at explaining Thanos' motivations, and a few of the prior films (Guardians of the Galaxy in particular, and the dream sequence/Thor's vision in Age of Ultron) start introducing the existence of the Infinity Stones in the universe.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4133 on: January 18, 2021, 09:37:41 PM »
I'm still not sure I understand the Thanos storyline; I may need to supplement that a little bit. 

If you haven't yet seen Infinity War/Endgame, then there's not much of a need to supplement it.  The films do a really good job at explaining Thanos' motivations, and a few of the prior films (Guardians of the Galaxy in particular, and the dream sequence/Thor's vision in Age of Ultron) start introducing the existence of the Infinity Stones in the universe.

I (think I) got all that; I just don't know (yet) who he is or where he comes from. I thought for a minute that he and Dromamam or whoever he is in Dr. Strange was Thanos, but now I don't think so.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4134 on: January 18, 2021, 09:40:09 PM »

I (think I) got all that; I just don't know (yet) who he is or where he comes from. I thought for a minute that he and Dromamam or whoever he is in Dr. Strange was Thanos, but now I don't think so.

No. Thanos only appears in the Avengers movies post credits, and Guardians. Before Infinity War at least. He’s just kind a looming presence. You know he wants the infinity stones but that’s it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4135 on: January 18, 2021, 09:45:50 PM »

No. Thanos only appears in the Avengers movies post credits, and Guardians. Before Infinity War at least. He’s just kind a looming presence. You know he wants the infinity stones but that’s it.

Then I'm up to speed. Yay!

My kid left for school this morning, until May.  Now I just have to convince her that it's nothing personal, but I'm not waiting until May to resume watching!!

Online Adami

« Reply #4136 on: January 18, 2021, 09:48:04 PM »
You definitely don’t wait for May.

Unless it’s Aunt May. You wait for that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4137 on: January 18, 2021, 11:36:04 PM »
Wow.  Buckle up, Stads.  You have 3 movies that are among the best the MCU has to offer, 1 pretty excellent one, and 2 pretty good ones.  Enjoy!
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4138 on: January 23, 2021, 09:59:26 PM »
I’m starting over from the beginning tonight....again.

Now playing: Captain America - The First Avenger
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4139 on: January 24, 2021, 02:44:29 AM »
I started a very slow rewatch last year. Watched Thor this week. Enjoyed it. Obvs, the character evolves and gets better over time but it's a good start.

I also have the first Cap this week.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4140 on: January 24, 2021, 07:07:13 PM »
I liked the first two Thor movies, although I would probably rank them fairly low in the MCU as a whole.  At the time each came out, I thought each one was good.  Not great.  But good.  Nothing bad to say. 

Ragnarok was such a surprise.  It was the first time I felt that I had some major problems with how certain things played out in terms of plot.  But the character development and the development of the overall MCU plot were HUGE.  And now, after seeing where the character has come, it to me makes the first two films even better.  I would actually like to watch all the Thor and Avengers films as a series to focus on Thor's journey over those 7 films.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline countoftuscany42

Re: WandaVision Official Trailer - Disney+
« Reply #4141 on: February 07, 2021, 03:49:08 PM »
Any guesses for big game previews today? Maybe they’ll promote the back half of WV, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see a Falcon & Winter Soldier spot

Online Adami

« Reply #4142 on: February 07, 2021, 03:59:43 PM »
Any guesses for big game previews today? Maybe they’ll promote the back half of WV, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see a Falcon & Winter Soldier spot

Definitely a Winter Soldier Falcon spot. Maybe a Loki spot and probably a Black Widow one.

I doubt anything too exciting. At some point I'd like to see an Eternals teaser, but I get that we're still a long way away from that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #4143 on: February 07, 2021, 05:00:40 PM »
https://youtu.be/IWBsDaFWyTE

As expected, The Falcon and The Winter Soldier trailer!

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #4144 on: February 07, 2021, 05:55:45 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWBsDaFWyTE

The Falcon and The Winter Soldier - Official Trailer

Online Adami

« Reply #4145 on: February 09, 2021, 07:47:26 AM »
So while I guess anything is possible, Tom Holland has flat out denied that Andrew Garfield and Toby MaGuire are in the sequel. I really wish the insane amount of huge rumors don’t ruin people’s expectations of the film and thus cause it to be a disappointment.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #4146 on: February 09, 2021, 08:46:54 AM »
So while I guess anything is possible, Tom Holland has flat out denied that Andrew Garfield and Toby MaGuire are in the sequel. I really wish the insane amount of huge rumors don’t ruin people’s expectations of the film and thus cause it to be a disappointment.

Fake news.

Online Adami

« Reply #4147 on: February 09, 2021, 09:31:28 AM »

Fake news.

I’m just saying that if the movie doesn’t have every actor from every non-MCU marvel film in it as well as at least a cameo from Batman, it’ll be the worst movie ever made.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #4148 on: February 09, 2021, 09:37:03 AM »

Fake news.

I’m just saying that if the movie doesn’t have every actor from every non-MCU marvel film in it as well as at least a cameo from Batman, it’ll be the worst movie ever made.

To be fair, Batman DID appear on Homecoming, though (Michael Keaton) :P
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online Adami

« Reply #4149 on: February 09, 2021, 09:44:31 AM »

Fake news.

To be fair, Batman DID appear on Homecoming, though (Michael Keaton) :P

I meant the REAL Batman.....

George Clooney.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #4150 on: February 09, 2021, 10:28:59 AM »
#FearTheBatNipples
Photobucket sucks.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #4151 on: February 09, 2021, 11:04:41 AM »
Also, wasn't Christian Bale confirmed for Thor: Love & Thunder? We got two Batmans in the MCU now (and there's also Affleck's Daredevil) :biggrin:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #4152 on: February 09, 2021, 11:16:36 AM »
Also, wasn't Christian Bale confirmed for Thor: Love & Thunder? We got two Batmans in the MCU now (and there's also Affleck's Daredevil) :biggrin:

He was, he's playing the primary villain

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4153 on: February 09, 2021, 11:32:43 AM »
I happened to see a clip of Endgame on YouTube and GDI those films are so good.

Making a film series over ten years that only gets better as it goes on is a monumental achievement.

And one that nobody else has been able to replicate on any level.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4154 on: February 09, 2021, 12:27:16 PM »
Making a film series over ten years that only gets better as it goes on is a monumental achievement.

And one that nobody else has been able to replicate on any level.

Exactly.  That's kinda why part of me doesn't even care of what comes next isn't as good.  If what comes next doesn't reach those heights, I'm more than satisfied with what we have already gotten. 

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4155 on: February 09, 2021, 03:54:16 PM »
The first Cap film was really good, I thought. Enjoyed it much more than my first watch as was obvs way more invested in the characters this time around.

The Red Skull is pretty dull as a baddie but what I'd forgotten is how great the film looks. All the souped-up 40s-style planes, vehicles and machines are fantastic.

The Peggy/Cap chemistry is really sweet. Chris Evans is excellent. And Tommy Lee Jones!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4156 on: February 09, 2021, 08:28:18 PM »
We caught it again recently and enjoyed it, too.  I seem to remember that it's not well-loved for various reasons, but I thought it was fine.  And yeah, Tommy Lee Jones was great.

Online Adami

« Reply #4157 on: February 09, 2021, 08:37:25 PM »
It’s a much smaller movie and not as good as its sequels but it’s still a really good comic movie. Flaws and all.

My girlfriend has only seen a few MCU films so we’re watching one every weekend and started this past weekend with Cap and it was really enjoyable.

Gonna do Cap Marvel this weekend. It’ll be my second time seeing it. First since theatrical release I think. I remember not thinking super highly of it but we’ll see it how it goes this time.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4158 on: February 10, 2021, 08:13:27 AM »
Gonna do Cap Marvel this weekend. It’ll be my second time seeing it. First since theatrical release I think. I remember not thinking super highly of it but we’ll see it how it goes this time.
I didn't love it, either, but it's my wife's favorite MCU film.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4159 on: February 11, 2021, 08:43:36 PM »
We got up to Thor last night. Still just finding joy in every movie. We’ll do The Avengers this weekend.

Somehow, even after about 4 viewings, I always seem to forget that Hawkeye makes a great first appearance in Thor.

“You better call it, because I’m starting to root for this guy.”  :rollin

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #4160 on: February 11, 2021, 10:50:52 PM »
Yeah, definitely one of the best lines in all the MCU.  :lol

Online faizoff

« Reply #4161 on: February 12, 2021, 04:33:43 AM »
My favorite lines in that first Thor movie are by Chris Hemsworth when he's on Earth. "I like this drink, another!"
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4162 on: February 12, 2021, 04:05:57 PM »
I'm on The Avengers now. I've been watching these in chunks which isn't ideal but I need to keep everyone happy. Bit surprised how clunky the first half hour or so feels in this one. They definitely got slicker as time went on!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4163 on: February 12, 2021, 10:13:39 PM »
You know what The Avengers reminds me? That Joss Whedon is a GENIUS of ensemble script writing. It was his strength in Firefly, and he brought that strength to The Avengers. He was the perfect man for what the MCU needed at that moment.

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4164 on: February 13, 2021, 02:38:06 PM »
You know what The Avengers reminds me? That Joss Whedon is a GENIUS of ensemble script writing. It was his strength in Firefly, and he brought that strength to The Avengers. He was the perfect man for what the MCU needed at that moment.

Once the band is together it's all gravy, it's just the baddies and the setup I found clunky. It's enough, just not as slick as it got later on.