Author Topic: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe v2 (SPOILERS)  (Read 252418 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe v2 (SPOILERS)
« Reply #4095 on: January 12, 2021, 07:43:43 PM »
Actually, I appreciate the advise; I may have just dove in.   I can wait (and I will).

The movies are a big undertaking, but it's as much about watching it with my wife and daughter.  They're just ogling the abs but still.     

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #4096 on: January 12, 2021, 08:04:40 PM »
You’ve got some GREAT ones coming up. Enjoy the ride!

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4097 on: January 12, 2021, 09:17:43 PM »

Indeed .... arguably the best ones.

Oh, absolutely.  I think Stadler knows that (and if he is watching chronologically, I don't think he would plan to watch Wandavision yet anyway).  But just in case:  STADLER, DO NOT FINISH WANDAVISION UNTIL YOU HAVE SEEN ALL THE FILMS THROUGH ENDGAME.

I have spoken.

:banhammer:

This is the way.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4098 on: January 12, 2021, 10:42:56 PM »

Indeed .... arguably the best ones.

Oh, absolutely.  I think Stadler knows that (and if he is watching chronologically, I don't think he would plan to watch Wandavision yet anyway).  But just in case:  STADLER, DO NOT FINISH WANDAVISION UNTIL YOU HAVE SEEN ALL THE FILMS THROUGH ENDGAME.

I have spoken.

:banhammer:

This is the way.

It is known.   (Mixing franchises, but just wanted to be in there somewhere.)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #4099 on: January 15, 2021, 02:18:23 PM »
Wandavision is extremely well done, this show is going to be outstanding.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #4100 on: January 15, 2021, 02:51:59 PM »

I couldn't resist myself and got a D+ subscription with some friends. I guess now I know what I'll be watching tonight after I finish working...
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4101 on: January 15, 2021, 02:52:35 PM »

this is after-dinner viewing for jingle.son and I tonight.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #4102 on: January 15, 2021, 03:02:14 PM »

I'm curious to see what your kid's opinion is, since a lot of the shoe's appeal draws on being familiar with old school tube like I Love Lucy and Bewitched. I haven't heard from Alora about it yet, but I know she had a quirky affinity for the campy stuff so I think she'll dig it.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4103 on: January 15, 2021, 03:05:28 PM »
How campy is it? 

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4104 on: January 15, 2021, 03:31:08 PM »
How campy is it?

This is actually very hard to answer without going into spoilers. It's not campy in a mocking way at all. It's campy in the sense that what we're seeing (a 50's sitcom) is clearly NOT reality and is therefore built on a character's ideas of a sitcom, thus lots of tropes. It's hard to explain.

I should also add, it's a slow burn. This is not a show that is jumping straight into action. It's taking its time to really build the world/characters and the psychology behind what is happening. So there's intrigue, but no big anything. So if you go in expecting explosions and quips and fighting, you won't dig the first two episodes.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4105 on: January 15, 2021, 03:36:54 PM »
The more I think about it, the more I worry these first two episodes will get bad to mixed reviews because of what they're going for. They really are, mostly, two episodes of an odd 50's sitcom with some sinister intrigue happening in the background. I hope people don't expect anything like Daredevil or Agents of Shield or anything else the MCU has done.

I think if you have an open mind, you might like it, but if you want something with excitement and action and a quick paced plot, this might not work.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4106 on: January 16, 2021, 04:50:49 AM »

I'm curious to see what your kid's opinion is, since a lot of the shoe's appeal draws on being familiar with old school tube like I Love Lucy and Bewitched. I haven't heard from Alora about it yet, but I know she had a quirky affinity for the campy stuff so I think she'll dig it.

No specific commentary on the style of the episodes from him.  He knows (more than me) what's rumoured to be coming up in the rest of the series, so he's being patient.

They really are, mostly, two episodes of an odd 50's sitcom with some sinister intrigue happening in the background. I hope people don't expect anything like Daredevil or Agents of Shield or anything else the MCU has done.

I think if you have an open mind, you might like it, but if you want something with excitement and action and a quick paced plot, this might not work.

Nailed it (yes, NAILED IT!  :biggrin:).  I think Disney did such a big marketing campaign, you'd have to be a moron to think it was gonna be action-packed.  Frankly, I'm still not expecting a ton of 'action' per se, but more of a psychological thriller.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4107 on: January 16, 2021, 09:34:37 AM »
Just seen ep 1 so far. Perfect styling but wasn't entertained or intrigued yet. I'll stick with it as it's Marvel so I'm sure they'll deliver.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4108 on: January 16, 2021, 10:06:43 AM »
How campy is it?

This is actually very hard to answer without going into spoilers. It's not campy in a mocking way at all. It's campy in the sense that what we're seeing (a 50's sitcom) is clearly NOT reality and is therefore built on a character's ideas of a sitcom, thus lots of tropes. It's hard to explain.

I should also add, it's a slow burn. This is not a show that is jumping straight into action. It's taking its time to really build the world/characters and the psychology behind what is happening. So there's intrigue, but no big anything. So if you go in expecting explosions and quips and fighting, you won't dig the first two episodes.

I don't mind the pastiches/homages/whatever they are, and staying in theme isn't camp to me.   I was thinking more about the way those themes are presented.  I don't really care for knowing winks to the camera, breaking the fourth wall, that sort of thing.  For example, I didn't think The Truman Show was campy, but it very much required a suspension of disbelief.

They're not perfect, but the MCU has done about as good a job as you can possibly do to incorporate humor into it without falling victim to what I call the "Arnold" syndrome, which is where before, during and after every life-threatening battle there's a knowing wink to the audience, there's the catch-phrase (which you can guarantee will be on a t-shirt and soda cup before you leave the theatre) and a near-impossible ballet move that not only beats the bad guy but makes him look foolish AND sets the hero up for yet another witty, "hilarious" (in quotes because they are usually not, to me) quip.   

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4109 on: January 16, 2021, 03:52:41 PM »
Enjoyed episode 2.  :tup

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4110 on: January 16, 2021, 06:33:11 PM »
I loved the homage to Bewitched in the second episode.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4111 on: January 16, 2021, 09:25:08 PM »
WandaVision: Every MCU Easter Egg In Episodes 1 & 2

https://screenrant.com/wandavision-episode-1-2-mcu-marvel-easter-eggs

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4112 on: January 17, 2021, 01:09:14 AM »
I loved the homage to Bewitched in the second episode.

Thank you! That's the show I couldn't remember the name of when we were watching and taking about it last night.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4113 on: January 17, 2021, 10:50:04 AM »
Watched Capt. America: Civil War and about half of Spider-Man: Homecoming last night.   Loved both.  Really happy with the Spider-Man character; funny without being hipster quippy.   Happy to see Michael Keaton, too, who always makes the movies he's in better than they would have been (even the ones that would have been great to start with).

Nice to see Marisa Tomei, too, but she looks like she's falling into that "older actress/celebrity taking the "thin" to extremes" thing that afflicted Courtney Cox, Jennifer Connolly and Madonna. 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #4114 on: January 17, 2021, 08:27:59 PM »
Keaton made such a good villain

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4115 on: January 18, 2021, 03:00:46 AM »
They're great movies. It's amazing that yet another incarnation of Spider Man wasn't dull or tiresome but I continue to be awed by how great Marvel Studios is.

(Marisa Tomei still looks fantastic to these eyes)

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #4116 on: January 18, 2021, 05:25:14 AM »
My only wish is that the MCU Spiderman movies weren't about Iron Man so much. Hopefully they move away from than in the third one.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4117 on: January 18, 2021, 05:58:18 AM »
My only wish is that the MCU Spiderman movies weren't about Iron Man so much. Hopefully they move away from than in the third one.

Given the timing/way they had to introduce Spidey, and the pivotal role that Tony played along with Peter/Spidey in the Civil War comic event, it only made sense.  I think they did it perfect justice for Far From Home, again... considering the timing within the MCU and the events of Endgame.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4118 on: January 18, 2021, 07:19:46 AM »
Dr. Strange.  WOW.   I loved that movie.  I get what it was - an origin story - but I thought it was a great movie.  I watched it with my daughter and wife and they didn't like it as much as I did (I joked that it had the least amount of abs of any MCU movie to date, but I wonder if I was closer to the mark than I realized!).    I also had the comics in mind; I wasn't a Dr. Strange junkie, but I LOVED Steve Ditko's art in those old comics, and I thought it was so far beyond - stylistically - from what the other books at the time were showing.  I thought the movie captured that feel, that style, as well as any of the MCU movies. 

I'm a little leery about the tonal changes between movies - jokey Guardians/Ant-man, serious Captain America, spiritual Dr. Strange - and I think it might be the one draw-back of binging on these movies, but I also haven't seen how this all ties together just yet. 

Either way, I'm fired up for the next Dr. Strange movie.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4119 on: January 18, 2021, 07:27:20 AM »
I think it definitely could be an issue of binging them. Spread out over 10 years, it was kinda necessary to have different tones/styles/moods etc... otherwise you have 18 movies that could ultimately feel samey, and lose their appeal and freshness of the MCU franchise.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #4120 on: January 18, 2021, 08:47:46 AM »
I think it definitely could be an issue of binging them. Spread out over 10 years, it was kinda necessary to have different tones/styles/moods etc... otherwise you have 18 movies that could ultimately feel samey, and lose their appeal and freshness of the MCU franchise.
Yeah, absolutely. They feel samey enough as it is. If they all had the same tone on top of the same structure, it would get old very quickly.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #4121 on: January 18, 2021, 08:54:35 AM »
I finally saw Captain Marvel, it wasn’t very good, even though I’m in love with Brie Larson.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4122 on: January 18, 2021, 08:56:54 AM »
I think I agree with you guys.   And it's not really a complaint; the characters demand a different tone.   Iron Man is funny, but in an acidic, acerbic way.  Capt. America isn't that funny (at least not on purpose).  Spidey is funny but in a more innocent, naive way.  Guardians is funny in a more ribald way.   Thor isn't that funny himself, but rather his place in the world.   

The interesting thing is how they will all fit together in the subsequent Avengers movies (which I haven't seen).

I will say this: I can't believe I've watched 17 - SEVENTEEN - movies in less than a month, all related to the larger story-line.  Every MCU film I watch makes me more disappointed in the Star Wars and DC universes, and how those franchises have underachieved.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4123 on: January 18, 2021, 09:01:30 AM »
I will say this: I can't believe I've watched 17 - SEVENTEEN - movies in less than a month, all related to the larger story-line.  Every MCU film I watch makes me more disappointed in the Star Wars and DC universes, and how those franchises have underachieved.

They definitely set a high bar, but DC had no problem stumbling, falling down and simply crawling underneath that bar time after time.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4124 on: January 18, 2021, 09:05:43 AM »

They definitely set a high bar, but DC had no problem stumbling, falling down and simply crawling underneath that bar time after time.

And yet teh MCU... some I liked better (Dr. Strange; both Guardians) than others (The Incredible Hulk, Captain Marvel) but I have yet to watch one where I said "wow, that was a wasted two hours!". 

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4125 on: January 18, 2021, 11:00:07 AM »

And yet teh MCU... some I liked better (Dr. Strange; both Guardians) than others (The Incredible Hulk, Captain Marvel) but I have yet to watch one where I said "wow, that was a wasted two hours!".

I’ve been saying this for a while, but I absolutely feel this way about all 23 films so far. There’s been a few that have been a bit lackluster, but not a single one where I felt like I didn’t have fun and wasted two hours. That’s an incredible achievement!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4126 on: January 18, 2021, 11:09:10 AM »

Spot on - even the weakest ones (and we all have different views on which those are) are both enjoyable enough to watch *and* fit various characters and or story arcs into the larger narrative of the MCU in an interesting way.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #4127 on: January 18, 2021, 02:53:11 PM »

The good thing is you took the plunge. I’ll never understand the reasoning of those who don’t.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #4128 on: January 18, 2021, 03:03:00 PM »
Watched Capt. America: Civil War and about half of Spider-Man: Homecoming last night.   Loved both.  Really happy with the Spider-Man character; funny without being hipster quippy.   Happy to see Michael Keaton, too, who always makes the movies he's in better than they would have been (even the ones that would have been great to start with).

Nice to see Marisa Tomei, too, but she looks like she's falling into that "older actress/celebrity taking the "thin" to extremes" thing that afflicted Courtney Cox, Jennifer Connolly and Madonna.

What did you think of Ultron? I think it’s underrated.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4129 on: January 18, 2021, 03:04:56 PM »

What did you think of Ultron? I think it’s underrated.

I think it's unnecessarily maligned.  Other than some elements of the opening sequence (Thor and that wooden tower) being too video gam-ish, I don't have any major issues with it.