Author Topic: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe v2 (SPOILERS)  (Read 251957 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe v2 (SPOILERS)
« Reply #4060 on: December 16, 2020, 11:29:38 AM »
:lolpalm:

I read that the 4 hour Snyder cut of Justice League will have "F bombs in"...

Yeah I chose the right franchise.  I liked Wonder Woman ( dat theme ! ) but the rest of it was pretty terrible and I didn't bother with Suicide Squad or FishMan.

Also - Hot Take - Blade Trinity was a great movie. Ryan Reynolds makes every superhero movie he's in better.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4061 on: December 16, 2020, 11:32:19 AM »
Does a singer releasing a crappy song hurt their other songs?  Why would a subpar movie hurt what came before it?

I don't mean one bad movie will completely ruin the last ten years. I'm just worried the overall quality will gradually trend downwards.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4062 on: December 16, 2020, 11:49:59 AM »
They've been amazing so far, so yeah, it's a valid concern that they may not be able to keep things at that high level.  I just disagree with the mentality that something done now can adversely affect what came before it.  Sure, the average overall quality of the films may dip a bit, but people do say things like "...and then they made <movie> which ruined the whole series!"  No, they made a movie you didn't like.  Ignore it, and enjoy the others.  Simple as that.

The only exception I can think of is when a later movie retcons key elements in the series, and do it poorly or introduce something really stupid, to the point where you can't watch the older films without thinking about what is "really" going on supposedly.  Makes it harder to ignore, for sure, but it can be done.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4063 on: December 16, 2020, 12:13:43 PM »
The only exception I can think of is when a later movie retcons key elements in the series, and do it poorly or introduce something really stupid, to the point where you can't watch the older films without thinking about what is "really" going on supposedly.  Makes it harder to ignore, for sure, but it can be done.

I hadn't thought about that specific possibility, but I guess that is actually a pretty reasonable possibility.  I mean, as has been said repeatedly, Marvel knows what they are doing, and they have a great track record of not falling into that trap.  But on the flip side, once you start dealing with time travel or multiverses, and all the zaniness and inherent conflicts those types of plot devices can inherently invoke, I think it is easier to fall into that trap.  And I think we actually started to see that a bit in Endgame.  There were definitely a few moments in that film that feel inconsistent and/or feel that there is some retconning going on.  But they are easily forgivable and easy to overlook because of how good the film is overall, how invested we are in all the characters, and how invested we are in the universe as a whole.  The second two factors will be present in any film going forward, and I think that will make it easy to forgive a lot of things in future films, even if the films themselves aren't as good. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4064 on: December 16, 2020, 01:51:39 PM »

I hadn't thought about that specific possibility, but I guess that is actually a pretty reasonable possibility.  I mean, as has been said repeatedly, Marvel knows what they are doing, and they have a great track record of not falling into that trap.  But on the flip side, once you start dealing with time travel or multiverses, and all the zaniness and inherent conflicts those types of plot devices can inherently invoke, I think it is easier to fall into that trap.  And I think we actually started to see that a bit in Endgame.  There were definitely a few moments in that film that feel inconsistent and/or feel that there is some retconning going on.  But they are easily forgivable and easy to overlook because of how good the film is overall, how invested we are in all the characters, and how invested we are in the universe as a whole.  The second two factors will be present in any film going forward, and I think that will make it easy to forgive a lot of things in future films, even if the films themselves aren't as good. 
I agree with all that, but also more than that I think the way they brought in time travel (if you change something in the past, it creates a branch into another timeline - the past in your universe hasn't changed) was clever and avoided the trap of undoing everything in the previous films.

I'm aware there were also some more minor changes to past events than had previously been described, but none of those felt significant at all and you get that with any franchises included much smaller, simpler ones.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #4065 on: December 16, 2020, 11:15:12 PM »

Yeah I chose the right franchise.  I liked Wonder Woman ( dat theme ! )

The only thing hotter than that theme is the girl playing it.. Tina Guo is just :hearts:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4066 on: December 17, 2020, 02:24:45 AM »
Wonder Woman 1984 looks good but the trailer made it seem they were aping the Thor Ragnarok style a bit.

Oh and Thor Ragnarok has probably the greatest trailer in recent memory.

Whoever decided on Immigrant Song for that film needs all the money. It's fuckin PERFECT.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4067 on: December 17, 2020, 05:18:45 AM »
Wonder Woman 1984 looks good but the trailer made it seem they were aping the Thor Ragnarok style a bit.

What they were going for was more of a Christopher Reeve Superman movie amped up the "decade of excess" that the 80's were know for.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4068 on: December 27, 2020, 05:30:35 PM »
I jujst finished watching WW84, man, there's no fucking wait to have my 2.24 hours back, right? Jeez!

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4069 on: January 11, 2021, 12:27:33 PM »
So it looks like Deadpool 3 will be part of the MCU (R-rated). Does this means we will see more X-Men characters in the MCU?  :justjen

https://collider.com/deadpool-3-mcu-confirmed-r-rating-filming-details-kevin-feige-interview/
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 12:35:12 PM by Vmadera00 »
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4070 on: January 11, 2021, 02:34:52 PM »
WandaVision on Friday!  :caffeine:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4071 on: January 11, 2021, 02:39:14 PM »
WandaVision on Friday!  :caffeine:

Really pumped for this!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4072 on: January 11, 2021, 03:53:24 PM »
I think I read that they are dropping 2 episodes for us the first week.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4073 on: January 11, 2021, 06:33:54 PM »
I think I read that they are dropping 2 episodes for us the first week.

Correct, then 1 episode a week. It will end just in time for Falcon and Winter Soldier  :D
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4074 on: January 11, 2021, 07:22:49 PM »
Do I want to watch this?

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4075 on: January 11, 2021, 07:28:18 PM »
jingle.son told me Disney has pretty much timed/scheduled things so that all the upcoming Marvel and Star Wars series' are going to drop pretty consecutively with little/no gaps in between.  Between that and the four feature films, 2021 is gonna be a massive year for the MCU and Star Wars.

I'm also looking forward to checking out the Legends vignette's.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #4076 on: January 11, 2021, 07:28:29 PM »
Do I want to watch this?

I just read the premise - it's a sitcom show with Scarlet Witch and Vision (she supposedly recreates him in her memories via her powers, or through a multiverse scenario).   Each week/episode is themed after a different era of sitcoms (50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, etc.). 

It will directly set up Doctor Strange 2. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4077 on: January 11, 2021, 08:01:52 PM »

Without revealing too much, I'll just say:  They are nice to remind you of each character's story arc to get you anticipating the episodes this Friday.  But there is nothing "new" in them whatsoever, and you may walk away feeling underwhelmed if you are expecting new content.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4078 on: January 11, 2021, 09:17:43 PM »

Without revealing too much, I'll just say:  They are nice to remind you of each character's story arc to get you anticipating the episodes this Friday.  But there is nothing "new" in them whatsoever, and you may walk away feeling underwhelmed if you are expecting new content.

I think I figured it was mostly (entirely) a "review" of them.  I'm ok with that.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4079 on: January 12, 2021, 08:39:34 AM »
Do I want to watch this?

I just read the premise - it's a sitcom show with Scarlet Witch and Vision (she supposedly recreates him in her memories via her powers, or through a multiverse scenario).   Each week/episode is themed after a different era of sitcoms (50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, etc.). 

It will directly set up Doctor Strange 2.

When my daughter suggested we watch the MCU straight through, she was hoping to see Liam Helmsworth (inside joke: I know it's Chris Hemsworth), and I was almost exclusively looking forward to Dr. Strange.  One of my favorite characters in the Marvel comic books (Steve Ditko!).   So if this is part of that, I'll be watching.  Thanks!!

Online Adami

« Reply #4080 on: January 12, 2021, 08:43:41 AM »
Don’t watch WandaVision hoping for it to be about Dr. Strange. It’ll connect to his movie but, unless he makes a surprise cameo, he’s not in it.

It’s about an Uber powerful mutant who creates her own reality out of grief and it slowly unravels as the outside world tries to reach her.

It sounds great.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4081 on: January 12, 2021, 10:40:48 AM »
Don’t watch WandaVision hoping for it to be about Dr. Strange. It’ll connect to his movie but, unless he makes a surprise cameo, he’s not in it.

It’s about an Uber powerful mutant who creates her own reality out of grief and it slowly unravels as the outside world tries to reach her.

It sounds great.

I'm prepared for that (no appearance); I'm okay with the threads.  I got into a debate with my kid about watching Captain Marvel; she said it wasn't relevant, you don't need it, and I, being the completist I am, said yes you do.   I think, so far, grand scheme of things she's probably right, but I like the connectiveness I get from having watched it.

I'll probably watch this.  This is the girl from the coda of... was it Captain Marvel Winter Soldier?

Online Adami

« Reply #4082 on: January 12, 2021, 10:46:40 AM »

It sounds great.

I'm prepared for that (no appearance); I'm okay with the threads.  I got into a debate with my kid about watching Captain Marvel; she said it wasn't relevant, you don't need it, and I, being the completist I am, said yes you do.   I think, so far, grand scheme of things she's probably right, but I like the connectiveness I get from having watched it.

I'll probably watch this.  This is the girl from the coda of... was it Captain Marvel Winter Soldier?

Scarlet Witch? She was in Age of Ultron, Civil War, Infinity War, and Endgame. Maybe the post credits for Winter Soldier.

Also the little girl from Captain Marvel (her friend's daughter) is in WandaVision, but all grown up.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4083 on: January 12, 2021, 10:55:22 AM »

It sounds great.

Scarlet Witch? She was in Age of Ultron, Civil War, Infinity War, and Endgame. Maybe the post credits for Winter Soldier.

Also the little girl from Captain Marvel (her friend's daughter) is in WandaVision, but all grown up.

Yes; I've only seen Winter Soldier from that list, and she was in the mid-credits scene.    Cool.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4084 on: January 12, 2021, 11:01:09 AM »
???  I thought you had seen them all.  Why did you watch Captain Marvel if you haven't watched those that preceded it?  I am so confused. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4085 on: January 12, 2021, 11:01:53 AM »
I think Captain Marvel is relevant and important.  It makes a subsequent appearance more impactful (imo).  It's a bottom tier MCU movie, but still a good one.

Online Adami

« Reply #4086 on: January 12, 2021, 11:02:54 AM »
???  I thought you had seen them all.  Why did you watch Captain Marvel if you haven't watched those that preceded it?  I am so confused.

Can't answer this. Obviously we all know Stads is wrong on everything all the time.

That said, whenever I do my Marvel rewatch (which I will at some point this year) I'll do Captain Marvel 2nd after Captain America, since I'll be doing it in "in universe" chronology. Maybe he's doing that?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4087 on: January 12, 2021, 11:03:16 AM »
I think Captain Marvel is relevant and important.  It makes a subsequent appearance more impactful (imo).  It's a bottom tier MCU movie, but still a good one.

Agreed on all of that.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4088 on: January 12, 2021, 11:33:33 AM »

We're not watching it in order of theatrical release, but in order of the place in the MCU.  My daughter has this list from the internet - so it MUST be correct - and we're watching it in that order.  It's not perfectly chronological, because I had already seen Iron Man, TIH, and Iron Man 2 before.

I've seen:
- Iron Man
- The Incredible Hulk
- Iron Man 2
- Capt. America: The First Avenger (LOVED this movie)
- Capt. Marvel
- Thor
- The Avengers
- Iron Man 3
- Thor: Dark World (god is Jane Foster annoying; I would ditch her for Sif in a HEARTBEAT). 
- Capt. America: Winter Soldier
- Guardians Of The Galaxy
- Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2

Next up are:
- Avengers: Age Of Ultron
- Ant-Man
- Capt. America: Civil War

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4089 on: January 12, 2021, 11:36:29 AM »

Agreed on all of that.

Yep, not a super-great movie, but good enough, and an important part of the larger universe.

I've considered watching them all in chronological order, but first, anything that involves "watching them all" is a huge undertaking.  And while I like nearly all of the MCU movies, and have enormous respect for the universe they've built and how well they pulled off such a ridiculous endeavor, I'm not a raving fanboy.  Not enough to commit to 50+ hours (or whatever it works out to) just to do it.  Second reason is that I kinda like putting together the puzzle.  They weren't released in chronological order, but there are connections and callbacks everywhere, plus the all-important post-credits and mid-credits scenes.  I like the feeling of watching something and realizing how it connects to something I hadn't seen yet at the time, but now appreciate.  In other words, now that I've seen them all and have the entire picture, there's not really that much to be gained by watching them all again in order.  They weren't actually made to be viewed that way.  You can't spin the dial these days without catching an MCU movie, which we often do, so I'm fine just sitting down and watching a two-hour piece of the puzzle once in a while.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4090 on: January 12, 2021, 01:03:43 PM »

We're not watching it in order of theatrical release, but in order of the place in the MCU.  My daughter has this list from the internet - so it MUST be correct - and we're watching it in that order.  It's not perfectly chronological, because I had already seen Iron Man, TIH, and Iron Man 2 before.

Oh, OK.  I don't have any MAJOR beef with that order.  I mean, Cap. should go right before The Avengers.  It was released that way for a reason, and I think the flow of those two films back to back is the best potential order.  But at least that chronology that you have doesn't put Cap. as the first film.  I get why they would do that chronologically.  But in terms of the bigger universe story, it's really dumb and I hate it.  I would never watch in that order. 

Anyhow, as relevant to the discussion we were having, you are about to get the first real dose of Wanda/Scarlet Witch, as well as the introduction of Vision.  Hope you like Age of Ultron.  I did.  But there is a contingency of fans that felt it was a letdown.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4091 on: January 12, 2021, 04:02:14 PM »

It sounds great.

Yes; I've only seen Winter Soldier from that list, and she was in the mid-credits scene.    Cool.
Honestly, if you don't watch everything else BEFORE WandaVision, you're going to be confused as hell.

From what I've seen, I will be confused as hell, and I've seen every MCU film multiple times.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Adami

« Reply #4092 on: January 12, 2021, 04:04:42 PM »
Yea, since half of the show is The Vision and what goes on with him in the last 2 Avengers films, not knowing that will make the show really weird.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4093 on: January 12, 2021, 04:08:14 PM »
Yea, since half of the show is The Vision and what goes on with him in the last 2 Avengers films, not knowing that will make the show really weird.

This this this.  No one should watch W-V without getting to Infinity War and (to a lesser extent) Endgame.

Save W-V until you've finished the movies.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4094 on: January 12, 2021, 04:47:18 PM »
Oh, absolutely.  I think Stadler knows that (and if he is watching chronologically, I don't think he would plan to watch Wandavision yet anyway).  But just in case:  STADLER, DO NOT FINISH WANDAVISION UNTIL YOU HAVE SEEN ALL THE FILMS THROUGH ENDGAME.

I have spoken.

:banhammer: