Author Topic: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe v2 (SPOILERS)  (Read 251555 times)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe v2 (SPOILERS)
« Reply #3955 on: September 01, 2020, 06:41:52 AM »
So, from what I remember in the comics, Jane became "Thor" when the real Thor became unworthy, couldn't lift his hammer, but Jane could. At that point, again if memory serves, Thor stopped going by the name Thor, since that name was equated with being worthy of lifting Meowmeow. So he started going simply by Odinson I believe and let Jane (who he didn't know was Jane) be called Thor since she was worthy when he was not.

How will the movie deal with this? Well, if nothing else, I trust Taika completely.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3956 on: September 01, 2020, 08:17:41 AM »
I don't get the ... angst? ... with "Thor".  For starters, "Thor" (as in 'Chris Hemsworth') is Thor Odinson

Second, I'm surprised debating Marvel canon/written history is up for discussion.  It's like saying 'I don't like that Hulk is green' or 'it's stupid that Wolverine only has three claws when real Wolverines have 5'.

Lastly, the comics have had MANY characters hold the power of Thor (Rogue, Valkyrie, Beta Ray Bill, Jane Foster, Odin to name a few).  "Thor" is indeed both a name, and a title.  Odinson is just the one who has carried it for the bulk of Marvel's history.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3957 on: September 01, 2020, 08:35:38 AM »
There's no "angst."  Not sure why you feel the need to turn the discussion into something it isn't by saying that.  Just expressing that I personally think it is a dumb idea, whether it is canon or not.  If you love the idea, the fact that I don't doesn't take anything away from you.  I just don't. 

That said, maybe they'll surprise me.  Marvel thus far has a pretty good (not perfect, but pretty good) track record for taking characters I didn't much care for in the comics, and making them work really well onscreen.  So even though the very concept of Jane "becoming" Thor got an immediate eyeroll from me, maybe I'll think it's great.  Or maybe the MCU has simply exhausted my attention span.  Not sure yet until I see where we go from here.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3959 on: September 01, 2020, 08:37:20 AM »
Look, unless they really just stop trying altogether, even the worst MCU film will still make more sense than the dumpster fire that is the new Star Wars trilogy. I'm here for Jane Thor. Until it's revealed after 10 films that she's actually Dr. Doom's daughter and her real name is Janeway Von Doom.  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #3960 on: September 01, 2020, 08:38:05 AM »
Personally, regardless of what happened in the comics, I kinda doubt the general movie going audience would take to characters switching names around so I can't imagine the movies going that direction.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #3961 on: September 01, 2020, 07:32:22 PM »
All I know is that if Chris Hemsworth is in it, it’ll be good. The guy is money.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3962 on: September 12, 2020, 08:39:15 PM »
Opps

https://uproxx.com/viral/chris-evans-penis-dick-picture-twitter-reactions/

I won’t post the picture but it’s not hard to find. The reactions are the best though.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3963 on: September 14, 2020, 07:46:31 AM »
That's hilarious.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3964 on: September 17, 2020, 04:21:03 PM »
Tatiana Maslany (of Orphan Black fame) has been cast as She-Hulk, which just made this an instant “must see” for me.

https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/ent/she-hulk-disney.html?fbclid=IwAR1jN6abbkZib6A0ggUqb61vFeROfBulBczI0qSi3X0vs7bOyyfvUT6YQto

"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Adami

« Reply #3965 on: September 17, 2020, 04:26:45 PM »
Did not predict that at all

100% in. Great casting. Curious how the show will work.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #3966 on: September 17, 2020, 04:51:45 PM »
Holy shit, I am now interested in this show.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3967 on: September 19, 2020, 05:18:41 AM »
I've been rewatching the MCU movies in release order. In retrospect it's kind of amazing that the MCU got as big as it did given the pretty wild swings in quality early on. It wasn't until Winter Soldier that basically all MCU movies became pretty much universally good movies (apart from Age of Ultron).

Iron Man was great, IM2 was kinda bad, Thor was just OK, Captain America was good but not great, Avengers was really good, IM3 was OK, The Dark World was kinda bad. Really the quality was all over the place to this point.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 06:09:05 AM by lordxizor »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3968 on: September 19, 2020, 09:19:59 AM »
Of course, "kinda good" and "kinda bad" are totally subjective.  In terms of story, I completely agree with you.  But in terms of action, special effects, all that big-screen spectacle, they deliver the goods.  And that's what most people seem to care about the most, and those "lesser" movies kept the momentum going.

MCU was still learning and growing, and not everything was going to strike gold.  I know, you realize that; I'm just saying.  In that way, it's kinda like the first season of a TV show.  Not everything is perfect and in place out of the gate.  You have a few clunker episodes while the powers-that-be are still figuring out how it all works and/or how to make it all work.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3969 on: September 19, 2020, 09:29:50 AM »
Of course, "kinda good" and "kinda bad" are totally subjective.  In terms of story, I completely agree with you.  But in terms of action, special effects, all that big-screen spectacle, they deliver the goods.  And that's what most people seem to care about the most, and those "lesser" movies kept the momentum going.

MCU was still learning and growing, and not everything was going to strike gold.  I know, you realize that; I'm just saying.  In that way, it's kinda like the first season of a TV show.  Not everything is perfect and in place out of the gate.  You have a few clunker episodes while the powers-that-be are still figuring out how it all works and/or how to make it all work.
Oh yeah, I absolutely get that. It's just interesting that audiences were willing to pay to see a few clunkers and kept the MCU going when it really could have fallen apart if a couple of the duds flopped at the box office. You're right about the big screen spectacle being enough for audiences sometimes.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3970 on: September 19, 2020, 10:03:59 AM »
IMO, it was critical that Iron Man (the first) was as good as it was.  After that, the anticipation of the 'firsts' for Cap and Thor... as the lead up to The Avengers was really the driving force.  If IM was mediocre (ala X3) or downright shit, the whole MCU might have gone to shit.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3971 on: September 19, 2020, 10:59:24 AM »
IMO, it was critical that Iron Man (the first) was as good as it was.  After that, the anticipation of the 'firsts' for Cap and Thor... as the lead up to The Avengers was really the driving force.  If IM was mediocre (ala X3) or downright shit, the whole MCU might have gone to shit.
Very good point.

Offline Adami

« Reply #3972 on: September 19, 2020, 11:02:33 AM »
I think it also helped that it wasn’t trying to set up a universe outside of the post credit tease. The movie could just focus on being a movie and not part one of a 22 part story. Marvel screwed that up a bit later on but recovered. Dc and others screwed that up from the beginning but DC seems to hopefully be going in a new direction than copying Marvel.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3973 on: September 19, 2020, 05:14:53 PM »
Marvel screwed that up a bit later on but recovered.

I'm curious as to what you mean here.  I thought the way they slowly introduced the concept that "there's more to this than just this story" was done brilliantly.  The way the different characters showed up in each other's movies, just as they show up in each other's comic books, I thought was really cool.  Basically, I don't remember any obvious mistakes in the MCU-building, so I'm wondering what specifically you thought were missteps.

I agree that DC kinda got it wrong from the beginning.  They had to play catch-up, and had a lot of catching up to do, and they didn't get the feel right.  Plus, Superman and Batman -- the two anchors of the Justice League and the DC universe -- had already been done to death, so both reboots had to be really strong, and I think we can all agree that neither of them worked 100%.  I do like their take on Aquaman, and I really didn't expect to.  When they announced the Aquaman origin movie after we'd already met the character, it shouldn't have worked as well as it did, but I was surprised to find myself really looking forward to it, and I enjoyed it pretty much.  A few things that didn't quite work for me, but overall pretty good.

Offline Adami

« Reply #3974 on: September 19, 2020, 05:22:25 PM »
I meant iron man 2/ age of ultron stuff. They got too focused on setting up future movies that those individual movies suffered from being less of a movie and more of a set up. I still enjoy them, but they went too far with universe building. Luckily they course corrected pretty quickly.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3975 on: September 19, 2020, 09:49:28 PM »
While I think Iron Man 2 and Age of Ultron are among the weaker entries in the whole shebang, I didn't really think about why, other than that the main stories were not particularly engrossing or well-written in general.  One might argue that it's because their ability to stand alone as good movies was compromised by all the set-up elements that were shoved in, but I hadn't really thought about them in those terms.  Mostly, I thought both Whiplash and Justin Hammer were pretty lame bad guys, and Ultron kinda boring, despite all of his amazing abilities.  I usually like Sam Rockwell in pretty much anything, but he was wasted in Iron Man 2, and I've never understood why anyone likes Mickey Rourke.  I didn't know that Ultron was voiced by James Spader the first time I saw it, but thought he was boring as hell, and when I found out Spader did the voice, I understood why because I think Spader is boring, too.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3976 on: September 20, 2020, 05:30:48 AM »
@ Bob.. I'm the complete opposite on Spader - absolutely love him, and thought he did an excellent job as Ultron.  I very much enjoy that Avengers movie - sure, it's the 4th in a four horse race, but still a good flick - despite the video game feel of the opening couple of minutes (up to the point all 6 of them converge leaping/flying across the ditch.  That whole segment was just way too over the top.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3977 on: September 20, 2020, 07:18:04 AM »
Something about the way Ultron spoke just bugged me.  He was obviously very intelligent, and very powerful, but also witty, and something like compassionate in a backwards kind of way.  That's a lot of nuance to bring to a vocal performance, and while he did bring it, the whole thing just felt fake.  I know it's fake; it's a movie about an ultra-powerful robot(-ish) creation starring comic book characters.  But everything about the voice sound perfectly coached, exactly meant to sound very intelligent, and very powerful, but also witty, and something like compassionate in a backwards kind of way.  It was exactly what you expected it to be, and exactly what it was supposed to be, and in that way rather boring.  I know it doesn't make sense.  But because it was so exactly what I'd expect, nothing about it stood out.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3978 on: September 20, 2020, 01:07:06 PM »
What I recall disliking the most about Age of Ultron was the hordes of robots being fought hand to hand by the heros. The over reliance on hand to hand combat already bugs me in superhero movies, but when you have guys punching metal robots and somehow not shattering their finger bones, it was just dumb. Plus it was like and endless stream of pretty much useless robots being continually been down by a handful of heros. The ratio of bad to good seemed too big to be even remotely believable to me.

I'll probably get to Ultron later this week, so we'll see if it's as disappointing as I remember it being. I haven't seen it since it first came out.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3979 on: September 21, 2020, 12:02:25 AM »
What I recall disliking the most about Age of Ultron was the hordes of robots being fought hand to hand by the heros. The over reliance on hand to hand combat already bugs me in superhero movies, but when you have guys punching metal robots and somehow not shattering their finger bones, it was just dumb.
Can't say that ever bothered me - the only ones who would have been using their bare hands are Captain America (super strong), Thor (Norse god essentially, so also super strong) and Hulk (strongest of the lot).

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3980 on: September 21, 2020, 05:12:33 AM »
New Wandavision trailer is out.  This one's certainly gonna be unique.  I'm looking forward to it.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3981 on: September 23, 2020, 07:36:17 AM »

I meant iron man 2/ age of ultron stuff. They got too focused on setting up future movies that those individual movies suffered from being less of a movie and more of a set up. I still enjoy them, but they went too far with universe building. Luckily they course corrected pretty quickly.

I was just thinking about how Joss Whedon wanted to cut the scene with Thor in the cave, but Marvel forced him to keep it in to set up future movies. . . and then Thor:Ragnarok negates the whole "Thor goes to search for Infinity Stones" plotline in its first scene.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3982 on: September 23, 2020, 08:53:34 AM »
???  How did it "negate" it?  It fleshed out that Thor was doing exactly that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3983 on: September 24, 2020, 09:53:39 AM »

???  How did it "negate" it?  It fleshed out that Thor was doing exactly that.

If you're going to force a director to include a scene to set up a search for the Infinity Stones, I'd expect to actually see some of that search, and maybe have him actually find one or two.  Instead we get a few lines to lampshade that they weren't going to do any of that.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3984 on: September 24, 2020, 10:54:18 AM »
Watched Age of Ultron yesterday. Not as bad as I remember it being, but still one of the weaker MCU movies. There was certainly a lot of setting up future movies, which makes sense now, but didn't when it was originally released.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3985 on: September 29, 2020, 11:19:41 AM »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3987 on: September 29, 2020, 03:48:29 PM »
Maybe I'm just a bit dense, but I don't really understand what it is.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3988 on: September 29, 2020, 06:11:58 PM »
Maybe I'm just a bit dense, but I don't really understand what it is.

It’s the Marvel version of Disney’s “The Imagineering Story” (which was excellent BTW)

Basically a documentary “look behind the scenes” with some of the artists who work with Marvel. The history of the stories...who did what...the influence they’ve had...the ways they are looking forward...etc etc
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3989 on: October 02, 2020, 08:06:51 AM »
Rewatched Captain Marvel the other day. Overall it was a really good movie. My only slight annoyance is the over use of 90s references and songs. It got to be a bit much by the end.

Also watched Thor Ragnarok. What a great movie. Honestly the best thing about that movie was that so little of it involved the stuffy, annoying people from Asgard. I found myself happy that Thor's Asgardian team was unceremoniously killed off without any fanfare. Thor is better away from Asgard.

That ends my MCU rewatch. The quality of those movies is remarkably consistent apart from a couple duds. Looking forward tp the next phase.