Author Topic: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe v2 (SPOILERS)  (Read 251752 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe v2 (SPOILERS)
« Reply #3920 on: August 18, 2020, 06:09:08 PM »
The newest ones starting with First Class are in chronological order so for those go as they were released.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3921 on: August 18, 2020, 06:12:09 PM »
Kinda dumb question perhaps, but I need a good viewing order for the X films.  I honestly can't remember whether I have even seen all of them.  I have the first one, X2, and Wolverine.  The kids have seen those relatively recently, in that order.  For the rest, what order should we watch them in?  I think I saw some of the others, but as I said, I don't recall.

Strangely, D+ only has the original, Days of Future Past, and Apocalyse, so there are definitely gaps there.

That’s a tough one because of the timelines.

Here’s how I’d do it, but I’m very biased

1. First Class
2. Origins (or you can skip it)
3. X-Men
4. X2
5. Last Stand
6. The Wolverine
7. Days of Future Past
8. Logan

I’d strongly suggest just skipping apocalypse and dark Phoenix.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3922 on: August 18, 2020, 06:15:29 PM »
Kinda dumb question perhaps, but I need a good viewing order for the X films.  I honestly can't remember whether I have even seen all of them.  I have the first one, X2, and Wolverine.  The kids have seen those relatively recently, in that order.  For the rest, what order should we watch them in?  I think I saw some of the others, but as I said, I don't recall.

Strangely, D+ only has the original, Days of Future Past, and Apocalyse, so there are definitely gaps there.

That’s a tough one because of the timelines.

Here’s how I’d do it, but I’m very biased

1. First Class
2. Origins (or you can skip it)-
3. X-Men                              |
4. X2                                   |
5. Last Stand                        |
6. The Wolverine                   |
7. Days of Future Past           |
8. Logan                              |
                                          V
I’d strongly suggest just skipping apocalypse and dark Phoenix.

This is all good advice, and skip Origins too.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3923 on: August 18, 2020, 06:28:04 PM »
Out of the 3 they suggest to skip, Apocalypse is better than the other 2. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Adami

« Reply #3924 on: August 18, 2020, 06:43:55 PM »

This is true.

Still skip. They’re all awful.

I’m a Marvel fan boy. And apocalypse was so awful that I never even watched Dark Phoenix.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3925 on: August 18, 2020, 07:00:43 PM »

This is true.

Still skip. They’re all awful.

I’m a Marvel fan boy. And apocalypse was so awful that I never even watched Dark Phoenix.

I only did because it was free on a flight home from Calgary. Truly an abomination. Apocalypse is terrible because of how they wrote storm, Magneto and Mystique, and to some degree how they neutered Apocalypse.  DP was terrible because of how they wrote everyone.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3926 on: August 18, 2020, 07:23:54 PM »
Adami, don't. Dark Phoenix was bad.  First Class was excellent.   How it dropped so far to Dark Phoenix is shocking. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3927 on: August 19, 2020, 09:55:07 AM »
I don't know.  I didn't like First Class, either, although it was definitely better than Apocalypse or Dark Phoenix.

Honestly, bosky, just go with X-Men, X-Men 2, and Logan.  Ignore everything else.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Adami

« Reply #3928 on: August 19, 2020, 11:34:34 AM »
I don't know.  I didn't like First Class, either, although it was definitely better than Apocalypse or Dark Phoenix.

Honestly, bosky, just go with X-Men, X-Men 2, and Logan.  Ignore everything else.

First class is a lot like Up. The first 10 or whatever minutes are great. Then the rest is mediocre.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3929 on: August 19, 2020, 11:35:55 AM »
I agree with you.

Really, I haven't LIKED any of the X-Men films.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3930 on: August 28, 2020, 01:47:51 PM »
Not sure how long this will stay up, but a YouTuber posted bootleg footage of the theatrical Black Widow trailer shown before New Mutants:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KWFeCn5tq8&pp=wgIECgIIAQ%3D%3D&feature=push-fr&attr_tag=Incy0_s2bQOS9igk%3A6

If you don't watch to watch to avoid potential spoilers, that's cool.  I won't reveal anything here.  I think the most important non-spoiler takeaway is that it is showing the intended release date to still be 11/6.  But as far as content, I won't get into that.  I didn't see anything that overtly looked spoilerish.  But more than that, as with other Marvel trailers (and other trailers, for that matter), it was pretty obviously edited in such a way as to (mis)lead the viewer to believe certain things about the story that almost certainly will play out very differently in the film when seen in context.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #3931 on: August 28, 2020, 08:16:56 PM »
RIP Chadwick Boseman. :'(

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #3932 on: August 28, 2020, 08:19:49 PM »
aw man what the fuck

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3933 on: August 28, 2020, 08:29:59 PM »

WHAT?! No way :'( :'( :'(
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3934 on: August 28, 2020, 08:32:13 PM »

Just read that, very sad indeed. The guy was awesome as Black Panther and loved his role as Jackie Robinson in 42. Had no idea he was battling cancer.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3935 on: August 28, 2020, 08:40:22 PM »
This came out of absolutely nowhere for me. WTF. Holy crap, this is awful news. Way, way too young, and he was so talented. God dammit. I just watched Civil War a couple months ago and still loved his performance. Guess I'll be watching Black Panther this weekend.

Kevin Smith is going to bawl a river on camera inevitably.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3936 on: August 28, 2020, 09:18:42 PM »
So he knew he had and fought Stage III colon cancer for 4 years. Stunning to think that he filmed Black Panther already knowing he had cancer. Think about that. Plus, the Avenger movies and everything else he did after BP.

Kudos to the man. Can't imagine the pain he was in and the struggles he went through to accomplish that. That's inspiration right there.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Adami

« Reply #3937 on: August 28, 2020, 10:14:36 PM »
Just read. Oh man.

I dunno. Just nothing but respect. R.I.P brother.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3938 on: August 29, 2020, 04:11:01 AM »
So he knew he had and fought Stage III colon cancer for 4 years. Stunning to think that he filmed Black Panther already knowing he had cancer. Think about that. Plus, the Avenger movies and everything else he did after BP.

Kudos to the man. Can't imagine the pain he was in and the struggles he went through to accomplish that. That's inspiration right there.

Yeah... that's an impressive act of courage and character.

This came out of absolutely nowhere for me. WTF. Holy crap, this is awful news. Way, way too young, and he was so talented. God dammit. I just watched Civil War a couple months ago and still loved his performance. Guess I'll be watching Black Panther this weekend.

Yup.   :'(

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3939 on: August 29, 2020, 11:04:53 AM »
So sad. What a talented actor.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3940 on: August 29, 2020, 06:55:21 PM »
So what happens with BP2?   Do you think they will recast?   People are very unforgiving when it's a money or other negotiation that gets an actor replaced...but they are often far more forgiving in the event of a death.    I'm sure he would have wanted someone else to take on the role.   I just can't see killing off the character and using another character to take on the role of BP.   I think you need to re-cast the existing role.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3941 on: August 29, 2020, 07:07:33 PM »
Well, even before his death I had seen talk of passing the mantle to his sister Shuri at some point. In the comics she does succeed T'Challa as the Black Panther after he falls into a coma. They could probably tweak the storyline to move forward.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3942 on: August 29, 2020, 07:24:12 PM »
I suspect Suri will become Black Panther earlier than was originally planned. The question is how they write out T'Challa. Does he die off screen? They have the technology to digitally impose his face on another actor, so they could have him die on screen. It will be interesting to see how they decide to handle it

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3943 on: August 31, 2020, 07:08:17 AM »
I mentioned on Facebook that I think someone else should be BP instead of Shuri and immediately was met with "you have something against female superheroes, lol what's next you gonna complain about Jane Foster as Thor?" and I'm sitting here thinking I'm like the only guy I know who is STILL hyped about Captain Marvel.

I admit I don't 100% know who could become the next Black Panther but my initial reaction was 'not Shuri' because I thought one had to be a warrior? And Shuri does not seem like a warrior. She seems like an incredibly gifted scientist, not a fighter. (yes, I know Bruce Banner is both, and so is RDJ, but Shuri does not look like she could be intimidating in physical combat to me - she seems more suitable behind the scenes as the brains of the operations)

Above all else, I, too, am very interested to see how they resolve all this in the sequel and don't mind if Shuri becomes BP - I just don't see how they do that unless Shuri's going to become the new Tony Stark.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #3944 on: August 31, 2020, 08:26:18 AM »
Apparently Shuri became Black Panther in the comics at some point, which is where that idea seems to be coming from.

Offline Adami

« Reply #3945 on: August 31, 2020, 08:28:30 AM »
It's super tricky.

Recasting him as T'Challah is just a lose/lose for the most part.

Everyone loved Shuri, so that might make more sense. But I'm sure they'll do something that works.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #3946 on: August 31, 2020, 08:32:32 AM »
Yeah, I don't know what the best answer is (I just know that re-casting T'Challah isn't it), but as always I have faith in Marvel.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3947 on: August 31, 2020, 09:00:01 AM »
I admit I don't 100% know who could become the next Black Panther but my initial reaction was 'not Shuri' because I thought one had to be a warrior? And Shuri does not seem like a warrior. She seems like an incredibly gifted scientist, not a fighter. (yes, I know Bruce Banner is both, and so is RDJ, but Shuri does not look like she could be intimidating in physical combat to me - she seems more suitable behind the scenes as the brains of the operations)

I pretty much agree with everything you said.  But I'll throw a bit of a different spin on it.  One of the themes in Black Panther was that Wakanda's ways were outdated, and that they needed to change.  Wakanda needed to remake itself because, even though it was very technologically advanced, it was ideologically behind the times.  I think reimagining what the black panther is and its place in Wakandan society fits that idea.  You are right that Shuri absolutely does not fit the traditional type for a black panther.  But she could be a different kind of black panther than what has existed, and I would actually be interested in seeing that.

But on a related topic you raised, I have no interest whatsoever in seeing Jane Foster become Thor.  That just seems like a horrible idea on just about every level (and, yes, I know there is comic precedence for it--that, in and of itself, does not necessarily make it a good idea).
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3948 on: August 31, 2020, 09:06:17 AM »
This loss just sucks.  He was a great actor and great person, and to Marvel fans, he obviously meant a lot.  To black fans, he meant so much more.  I really wanted to see him again as Black Panther. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3949 on: August 31, 2020, 10:44:42 AM »

I pretty much agree with everything you said.  But I'll throw a bit of a different spin on it.  One of the themes in Black Panther was that Wakanda's ways were outdated, and that they needed to change.  Wakanda needed to remake itself because, even though it was very technologically advanced, it was ideologically behind the times.  I think reimagining what the black panther is and its place in Wakandan society fits that idea.  You are right that Shuri absolutely does not fit the traditional type for a black panther.  But she could be a different kind of black panther than what has existed, and I would actually be interested in seeing that.

But on a related topic you raised, I have no interest whatsoever in seeing Jane Foster become Thor.  That just seems like a horrible idea on just about every level (and, yes, I know there is comic precedence for it--that, in and of itself, does not necessarily make it a good idea).

That is 100% true and I have total faith in Marvel to pull it off if they do go that route. I just think it's kind of a cheap cop out considering she would effectively be Iron Man 2.0, except female and black. I think it's a perfect opportunity for someone like Danai Gurira to step into the role, so Shuri can stay, well, Shuri. I like Shuri as a wise-cracking scientist who is still in touch with pop culture, personally :)

Female Thor: I share your apprehension with the idea, and yet, I'm also excited about it. But maybe that's because I love how Thor Ragnarok shaked up the Thor films, and I have faith they know exactly how to keep Thor interesting. I also think it's cool that Thor is the first hero to get 4 films under that hero's name.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3950 on: August 31, 2020, 10:52:05 AM »
I have no trepidation over a female Thor.  At least, not after reading the collection of the original comics with that story.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3951 on: August 31, 2020, 06:05:28 PM »
My trepidation isn't over the fact of a "female Thor" per se.  It is both more and less specific than that. 

Generally, I don't like the idea of another "Thor" at all.  Thor is Thor.  He is a person.  Having someone else take the title just seems so stupid to me.  Yes, I know there is precedence in the comics.  But I thought it was dumb there too.  If we are done seeing actual Thor, I don't want to see someone else playing that role.  Let's just have different heroes (and heroines). 

The more specific thing is having Jane Foster take up the mantle.  There's no reason for that.  If we REALLY have to have another person be Thor (just typing that pains me), it should be Valkyrie, not Jane.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3952 on: August 31, 2020, 06:28:58 PM »
I would have loved for Valkyrie to 'become' the next Thor, as it were. In fact me and my best friend were banking on it.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3953 on: August 31, 2020, 09:09:19 PM »
I'm of the same mind regarding Thor.  There shouldn't be a "new Thor" because Thor is not a title; Thor is a person.  There can be a new Black Panther, a new Iron Man, a new Captain America, because those are all titles.  I think it's dumb that they pass the title down at some point, but I guess it makes more sense than the character being around for 80 years or whatever and it's still the same person.  At some point "they" (comic books in general) decided that titles/characters can be passed down, and since the MCU movies do follow many of the conventions established by their source material, it's okay.

But Thor isn't a title, Thor is the son of Odin and Frigga, a specific person.  Someone can be the next King of Asgard, or the next God of Thunder, sure.  But the "next Thor"?  No.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3954 on: September 01, 2020, 06:28:13 AM »
What about Batman, Spider-Man, etc.... they've had different people in those roles. "Spider-Man" is just as much of a person as "Thor" is imo. I get it, Thor is his actual name, Spider-Man is an alias, but why can't Thor be an alias as well? Sure Miles Morales isn't Peter Parker, but he's still Spider-Man. And Thor = God of Thunder, there is only one God of Thunder, so if we have a new God of Thunder/Thor, they're the new Thor/God of Thunder.

It is a bit confusing.