Author Topic: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe v2 (SPOILERS)  (Read 250273 times)

Offline Polarbear

Re: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe v2 (SPOILERS)
« Reply #3675 on: April 02, 2020, 01:10:05 AM »
1. Logan
2. Days of Future Past
3. X2
4. First Class
5. X1
6. Wolverine (Not the origins!)

The rest are bad to facepalming. I was very disappointed with Apocalypse in particular, since First Class and Days of Future Past were so good IMO.

Oh and I'm not counting the Deadpool movies in these. They are their own Franchise as far as I'm concerned. Both Deadpool movies are great though! :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3676 on: April 02, 2020, 06:03:19 AM »
I've seen a few X-Men movies and they were so bad they actively killed my interest in the X-Men as characters. I really don't think I can dig X-Men until Marvel brings them to life in the movies.

1, 2, Days of Future Past and Logan are top tier.  I personally really like Last Stand as well.  First Class and The Wolverine get a B grade.  The rest are tripe.
This is all correct. Kattelox is all wrong.

Joke's on you, you like X-Men movies!   :loser: :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3677 on: April 02, 2020, 10:11:23 AM »
First Class is my #1.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3678 on: April 02, 2020, 10:13:40 AM »
First Class is my #1.

I came up with a good way to watch it. Right after Erick kills the nazis in Argentina of wherever, you take a nap and wake up when he's about to kill Kevin Bacon. If you sleep through everything in between, you're good.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3679 on: April 02, 2020, 10:16:13 AM »
First Class is my #1.

I came up with a good way to watch it. Right after Erick kills the nazis in Argentina of wherever, you take a nap and wake up when he's about to kill Kevin Bacon. If you sleep through everything in between, you're good.

:lol

BTW, I talking the X Men movies.  No lumping the Wolverine movie in that list.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online Adami

« Reply #3680 on: April 02, 2020, 10:19:01 AM »
I still maintain that the first 2/3 of The Wolverine is really good. Then it went full Wonder Woman. Turned into a video game.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3681 on: April 02, 2020, 10:22:36 AM »
I still maintain that the first 2/3 of The Wolverine is really good. Then it went full Wonder Woman. Turned into a video game.

It didn't bother me as much as others did.  I thought it was better than Origins.

Online Adami

« Reply #3682 on: April 02, 2020, 10:25:06 AM »

It didn't bother me as much as others did.  I thought it was better than Origins.

To be fair, I'd be hard pressed to think of a movie that wasn't better than Origins.

I dunno. Maybe I need to give First Class another try. I really just didn't care for it outside of the beginning/end. All the stuff with the recruits just annoyed me. I'll try it again, given all my free time, and see if I change anything.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3683 on: April 02, 2020, 10:34:39 AM »

Agreed.  That whole scene in the tower was just over-the-top.  My other beef is the post-credits scene which just got completely retconned.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3684 on: April 02, 2020, 11:38:39 AM »
My whole thing with the entire group of X-Men films is how little regard they have for their source material.  I mean, I read X-Men comics, and was intimately familiar with them up through almost when the first film was released.

What I saw on the screen bore only superficial resemblances (and sometimes, not even that) to what I had read.

The creative teams just didn't trust the source material or take it as seriously as did the people running the MCU.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Adami

« Reply #3685 on: April 02, 2020, 11:46:11 AM »
My whole thing with the entire group of X-Men films is how little regard they have for their source material.  I mean, I read X-Men comics, and was intimately familiar with them up through almost when the first film was released.

What I saw on the screen bore only superficial resemblances (and sometimes, not even that) to what I had read.

The creative teams just didn't trust the source material or take it as seriously as did the people running the MCU.

I would agree on most of them. I think, for the first few films at least, they did a decent job with Professor X and Magneto. They had 40 years of stories to contend with and all of those characters have been drastically different based on whomever was writing it at the time. But I think they did a decent job getting a good core character out of Prof X and Magneto. Even Beast in X3 (of all things) but yea, that was about it. I think the first X-Men movie did a decent job with Wolverine, at least for the first half. Cyclops was nothing. Jean was off. Nightcrawler was okay but still pretty far from the real character. The rest bore virtually no resemblance at all.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3686 on: April 02, 2020, 02:36:57 PM »
I concur mostly.  Colossus was my fave x-men as a kid, and I was highly disappointed with what they did with him in the movies.  Rogue they totally fucked up.  Iceman too.

My view, Charles, Magneto, Mystique, Wolverine and Storm they did a good/great job with.  Jean ... so-so (though, that might be my Famke Janssen fanboism giving it a pass).  Cyclops... almost a complete cluster - too much focus on his/Jean's relationship.  The Brotherhood were just throwaway characters, but they were largely accurate.

Everyone else they dropped the ball.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Adami

« Reply #3687 on: April 02, 2020, 02:54:38 PM »
Which mystique? Cause there are some versions that Rebecca Romain was semi close to. But J-Law? No. That wasn’t mystique outside of powers.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #3688 on: April 02, 2020, 03:00:35 PM »
I concur mostly.  Colossus was my fave x-men as a kid, and I was highly disappointed with what they did with him in the movies.  Rogue they totally fucked up.  Iceman too.

My view, Charles, Magneto, Mystique, Wolverine and Storm they did a good/great job with.  Jean ... so-so (though, that might be my Famke Janssen fanboism giving it a pass).  Cyclops... almost a complete cluster - too much focus on his/Jean's relationship.  The Brotherhood were just throwaway characters, but they were largely accurate.

Everyone else they dropped the ball.

The Deadpool Colossus is a gift, though

Online Adami

« Reply #3689 on: April 02, 2020, 03:02:42 PM »
Oh yea, Deadpool Colossus is fantastic.

Deadpool Cable was very different, but a good enough version.

Deadpool was smart enough to stick to extremely odd and rarely heard of characters beyond that, since their version of Negasonic has NOTHING to do with the original Negasonic. Luckily the comics realized this and just transformed the original Negasonic (who wasn't even in comics much at all) into the version from the movies.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3690 on: April 02, 2020, 03:11:55 PM »
Which mystique? Cause there are some versions that Rebecca Romain was semi close to. But J-Law? No. That wasn’t mystique outside of powers.

Definitely Rebecca Romijn.  To be clear, I meant to focus those comments to just x1 and x2.  J-Law's version was awful.  Good job by J-Law, but that was not Mystique.  That was some blue female shape-shifter.

Despite liking x3, what they did with Juggernaut was a disgrace.  Same with Angel for that matter.

Online Adami

« Reply #3691 on: April 02, 2020, 03:14:43 PM »
Angel/Archangel was always one of my favorites. So I'm sad that we never got a good version of him.

I love Ben Foster but his Angel was just....there....kinda. But then they did the other version in apocalypse and UGH that was just embarrassing.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3692 on: April 02, 2020, 03:34:37 PM »
Angel/Archangel was always one of my favorites. So I'm sad that we never got a good version of him.

I love Ben Foster but his Angel was just....there....kinda. But then they did the other version in apocalypse and UGH that was just embarrassing.

Agreed... Apocalypse version was beyond disgraceful.  But, everything about all of those characters was a disgrace, including the actor/portrayal.  I really don't know which movie I detest the most... it's like three-way tie between Origins, Apocalypse, and Dark Phoenix.  It's like Origins set the benchmark for atrociousness, then the next two came along and each pulled a "hold my beer".

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3693 on: April 02, 2020, 03:51:37 PM »
The original 3 movies I always laughed how Halle Berry lost the accent in the second film.  She won a damn academy award.  She can't keep an accent?

Online Adami

« Reply #3694 on: April 02, 2020, 04:05:10 PM »
The original 3 movies I always laughed how Halle Berry lost the accent in the second film.  She won a damn academy award.  She can't keep an accent?

It happens. Elizabeth Olsen lost it after Age of Ultron. Carrie Fischer lost it after A New Hope (or maybe mid movie).
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3695 on: April 02, 2020, 05:06:30 PM »
And they all bothered me.

Online Adami

« Reply #3696 on: April 02, 2020, 05:09:50 PM »
And they all bothered me.

How about this. X-Men in the MCU is based in Boston and every one of them has a super over the top Boston accent.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3697 on: April 02, 2020, 06:54:33 PM »
I wouldn't notice.   I'm used to it?  I can't hear it!  Lol

That being said, Hollywood Boston accent is cartoonish. 

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3698 on: April 02, 2020, 11:13:28 PM »

Agreed... Apocalypse version was beyond disgraceful.  But, everything about all of those characters was a disgrace, including the actor/portrayal.  I really don't know which movie I detest the most... it's like three-way tie between Origins, Apocalypse, and Dark Phoenix.  It's like Origins set the benchmark for atrociousness, then the next two came along and each pulled a "hold my beer".

I disagree, you can't put anything in the same league of atrociousness as Dark Pheonix except maybe a stinky ass diaper blowout. God that movie fucking sucked.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3699 on: April 03, 2020, 06:16:05 AM »
Ryan Reynolds as Weapon X being controlled by a green screen application and keyboard commands would like a word with you.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3700 on: April 03, 2020, 09:35:34 AM »
Oh yea, Deadpool Colossus is fantastic.

Deadpool Cable was very different, but a good enough version.

Deadpool was smart enough to stick to extremely odd and rarely heard of characters beyond that, since their version of Negasonic has NOTHING to do with the original Negasonic. Luckily the comics realized this and just transformed the original Negasonic (who wasn't even in comics much at all) into the version from the movies.
Just to be clear, I wouldn't group the Deadpool movies in with my bitching about the X-Men movies, even though I realize that technically, they belong together.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3701 on: April 03, 2020, 09:45:36 AM »
Ryan Reynolds as Weapon X being controlled by a green screen application and keyboard commands would like a word with you.

Still not as bad as Dark Phoenix.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3702 on: April 03, 2020, 12:40:24 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85iRQdjCzj0
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online Adami

« Reply #3703 on: April 03, 2020, 12:56:57 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85iRQdjCzj0

YES!

I want all of the MCU in that accent.

And also great to see Rachel in stuff.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3704 on: April 03, 2020, 01:57:21 PM »
No freekin' way. :lol

Online Adami

« Reply #3705 on: April 03, 2020, 02:20:45 PM »
It’d be wicked awesome.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3706 on: April 05, 2020, 12:33:55 AM »
I don’t have the link in front of me...but I assume you’ve all read about how every movie got pushed back. Looks like the TV shows got pushed back a bit too...though not as far as the movies.

A bit of a bummer...but maybe it just builds anticipation.

On another note. I’m halfway through season two of Agent Carter. If anyone wants to see “strong female lead” without being ham fisted, this is a perfect example of how to do it right.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3707 on: April 05, 2020, 02:15:32 PM »
We started Agent Carter back when it first aired, but didn't stick with it.  I don't know.  She's a babe for sure, and the typical Marvel backstory (detailed enough to give you something interesting to work with, but not so well-defined that you couldn't explore things and get a twist or two) was great.  But the stories just weren't grabbing us.  In fact, I wouldn't go so far as to call it "ham-fisted", but there did seem to be at least one or two moments per episode where they blatantly pointed out the sexism and how she wasn't standing for it, or that she did something they never thought a woman could do, and they made sure to show the reactions of the men around her, or something like that.  Yes, I get that that's one of the main points of the character, a strong woman in a man's world, but I thought the idea was to "show, not tell".

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3708 on: April 05, 2020, 02:29:51 PM »
We started Agent Carter back when it first aired, but didn't stick with it.  I don't know.  She's a babe for sure, and the typical Marvel backstory (detailed enough to give you something interesting to work with, but not so well-defined that you couldn't explore things and get a twist or two) was great.  But the stories just weren't grabbing us.  In fact, I wouldn't go so far as to call it "ham-fisted", but there did seem to be at least one or two moments per episode where they blatantly pointed out the sexism and how she wasn't standing for it, or that she did something they never thought a woman could do, and they made sure to show the reactions of the men around her, or something like that.  Yes, I get that that's one of the main points of the character, a strong woman in a man's world, but I thought the idea was to "show, not tell".

But that wouldn't be consistent for the period they are framing it in.  Just by sheer fact that we are in the late 40s post war era, there is going to be a greater measure of sexism than there is today.   I thought they found a perfect balance of "accurate to the time period" without going so far that you felt you were having your face rubbed in it.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Adami

« Reply #3709 on: April 05, 2020, 05:09:48 PM »
Season 1 of Agent Carter was fantastic. I really really loved it.

Season 2 just went....off. It was not good. The actors were lovely, and there were some good moments, but over all it was pretty poor.
fanticide.bandcamp.com