Author Topic: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe v2 (SPOILERS)  (Read 251683 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe v2 (SPOILERS)
« Reply #3605 on: December 16, 2019, 08:57:34 AM »
Definitely fan made.

I was 95% certain of this, but ya never know.  Still pretty damned good, imo.  Looking closer, I should've noticed that some of them have the company/brand of the designer.   :facepalm:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3606 on: December 16, 2019, 08:18:02 PM »
Is that supposed to be Doom in the Black Panther 2 poster?

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3607 on: December 17, 2019, 06:59:53 AM »
Is that supposed to be Doom in the Black Panther 2 poster?

It sure looks that way, eh?
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3608 on: December 17, 2019, 07:08:00 AM »
Yup! A very....poorly done version of Doom.

And also Namor. That'd be interesting, but way too much for one movie.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3609 on: December 17, 2019, 07:12:09 AM »
Yup! A very....poorly done version of Doom.

And also Namor. That'd be interesting, but way too much for one movie.

I'm not familiar with Black Panther comics... was Doom a regular villain?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #3610 on: December 21, 2019, 04:37:32 PM »
I rewatched Thor 2 and Iron Man 3 recently. I haven't seen them since they were in theaters. Neither of them are bad, but Thor 2 can get boring in parts. My opinion hasn't changed about Kat Dennings. The Mandarin twist never bothered me. I also recently watched Avengers again, and sadly, it's starting to look very dated. Not so much the sfx, but the overall look is off. Marvel has improved greatly since then.

I rewatched Infinity War and Endgame again. So good. Not without their flaws, but almost perfect. The acting, score, action. I can't get enough of these movies. I guess thia is how Chino feels about Avatar.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3611 on: December 29, 2019, 08:39:15 PM »
finished Season/Final Season of Marvel's Runaways.

I guess there's not a lot of fans around here, but I happen to really enjoyed a lot of the show.

I primarily checked it out given BRIAN K VAUGHAN was 1 of the creators of the Graphic Novel series. And I also figured if it is successful, it would support the long-awaited adaptation of Y: The Last Man.

I enjoyed the final season, although not as much as the 1st 2 Seasons. It seemed kind of obvious they introduced a couple of new plot-lines in the 2nd half of the season given they were not going to be renewed for a 4th season. But I guess other than not fully explaining what happened to the Aliens and the baby that Xavin took back to her Homeworld, the last episode kind of wrapped up many of the loose ends. Although it felt very much like an homage/tribute to Back to the Future or The DS9 episode "The Visitor." But so be it, it was kind of fun to watch.

I am curious what some of the cast may do next. Perhaps show up in some of the other MCU shows, or possibly something else Brian K Vaughan does like Y: The Last Man or Paper Girls which I guess is also in the works to be adapted for television soon.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 11:27:23 AM by SoundscapeMN »

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3612 on: December 29, 2019, 08:54:43 PM »
I rewatched Thor 2 and Iron Man 3 recently. I haven't seen them since they were in theaters. Neither of them are bad, but Thor 2 can get boring in parts. My opinion hasn't changed about Kat Dennings. The Mandarin twist never bothered me. I also recently watched Avengers again, and sadly, it's starting to look very dated. Not so much the sfx, but the overall look is off. Marvel has improved greatly since then.

I rewatched Infinity War and Endgame again. So good. Not without their flaws, but almost perfect. The acting, score, action. I can't get enough of these movies. I guess thia is how Chino feels about Avatar.

You've underlined the reason I think that the MCU is one of the greatest achievements in all of cinematic history.   Even the WORST of a 23 movie run is at least "not horrible".    How many franchises can make that claim?   

I maintain that only Bond has made as many movies in the same "universe"...and most franchises with less movies have made at least one true "stinker".   (the Bond franchise has made more than one)

That alone makes the MCU something extremely special, and I'm not sure everyone appreciates the big picture. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3613 on: January 07, 2020, 02:17:57 PM »
There are rumors that Christina Bale might be part of Thor: Love and Thunder. Wonder whole his character would be  ???
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3614 on: January 07, 2020, 02:21:57 PM »
There are rumors that Christina Bale might be part of Thor: Love and Thunder. Wonder whole his character would be  ???

Did you just assume her gender?  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3615 on: January 07, 2020, 02:51:56 PM »

I'M BATM... whoops, wrong universe.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3616 on: January 07, 2020, 05:10:19 PM »

Did you just assume her gender?  :lol

:facepalm: :lol

Online faizoff

« Reply #3617 on: January 10, 2020, 02:10:27 PM »
Looks like Doctor Strange 2 is need of a new director as Scott Derrickson drops out
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online Adami

« Reply #3618 on: January 10, 2020, 02:13:17 PM »
Looks like Doctor Strange 2 is need of a new director as Scott Derrickson drops out

Yea, can't say that's too shocking. Their SDCC comments hinted at that.

SD: We're making a FULL ON HORROR MOVIE!

KF: Ehhhhhh but it'll still be PG-13 and fun marvel good times!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3619 on: January 10, 2020, 02:21:52 PM »
I've seen PG-13 horror and, well, I just hope it's better than that. When they revealed it and labeled it as 'closest to a horror movie Marvel fans will have yet seen' or however they worded it, I was hoping for a really dark, visceral sort of film. I hope it's not Disney-fied "horror"... just horror.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3621 on: January 14, 2020, 12:01:57 PM »
Methinks this is a new Black Widow 'trailer'.  Not much new to see though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1eykFE1fSA

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3622 on: January 14, 2020, 12:29:34 PM »
I hate to say it, but, by and large, Marvel doesn't excite me anymore.  From Iron Man through the end of the Infinity Saga (including the Spiderman FFH "coda"), I was completely onboard with anything and everything Marvel.  But it all just kind of feels "done" for me.  That doesn't mean I won't still be excited about select things, or that I probably won't see Black Widow and a lot of the other upcoming Marvel content.  But it just doesn't excite me and rise to the level of "must-see" content that phases 1-3 of the MCU were. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3623 on: January 14, 2020, 12:41:31 PM »
To be fair, each phase had it's own unique aspect to be excited about.

Phase 1, everything was new and exciting.
Phase 2, the new characters and cross overs, plus hinting to what was coming on Phase 3.
Phase 3 was just awesome.

To me, the story ended on phase 3, everything we had been building for finally came true with Infinity War and Endgame after so many movies. We are in limbo with these new movies since we can expect the crossover of characters, but we don't know what the bigger picture will be.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3624 on: January 14, 2020, 01:10:03 PM »
I mean Black Widow is one of the least interesting Avengers anyway so I don't blame anyone for being lukewarm on the MCU currently

But Shang-Chi, Dr. Strange 2, Guardians 3, c'mon, lots of goodness to come later

I thought phase 2 was kind of dry and boring personally but it still had a couple goodies

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3625 on: January 14, 2020, 01:43:46 PM »
To be fair, each phase had it's own unique aspect to be excited about.

Phase 1, everything was new and exciting.
Phase 2, the new characters and cross overs, plus hinting to what was coming on Phase 3.
Phase 3 was just awesome.

To me, the story ended on phase 3, everything we had been building for finally came true with Infinity War and Endgame after so many movies. We are in limbo with these new movies since we can expect the crossover of characters, but we don't know what the bigger picture will be.

Yeah, I don't disagree with that much.  Except that, for me, the excitement in phase 1 wasn't that "everything was new and exciting."  In fact, for me, the first few films weren't exciting for me in concept much at all, since they involved characters I was only lukewarm about.  For me, it was the promise of the upcoming crossover(s) and hinting at bigger connections, which up to that point, hadn't really been done in a movie universe before.  I hadn't read Iron Man comics, and didn't think the character was all that interesting.  But it was supposedly a superhero movie that was pretty well done, so that was cool.  And then that post-credit scene mentioned "other heroes" and the Avengers initiative."  That got me and others excited.  I had not idea what it would look like or how it would work, but if they could do some sort of crossover and have an Avengers  team, that would be pretty cool. 

Then Hulk came out.  I wasn't really excited about that movie, specifically.  I didn't care for the character.  And the prior Hulk movie was okay, but not great.  And was this a sequel?  A reboot?  Not sure.  Oh, but the post-credit scene doubles down on "a team is being put together."  :omg:  They're serious about this!

Iron Man 2 excited me.  The first one was good.  And they started sprinkling in new characters, like Black Widow.  And...Mjolnir!  IT'S ON!

Thor:  I didn't care that it wasn't great as a movie.  I had always loved the character, and just the fact that they were doing a Thor movie was enough for me.

Captain America:  Holy crap!  I liked, but didn't love the character in the comics.  But, man, they were going to great lengths to truly build a credible Avengers team.  This was going to be spectacular!

Then Avengers was SO well done, and we got the teaser of Thanos in the end credits scene.  Couple that with the other films in phase 2, and it was clear we were moving toward infinity war.  And off we went.  At that point, I didn't really overly care which movie was next and get too wound about about specific plots.  It was all about the bigger story and how we were doing to get there, and it was largely all very cool.

I mean Black Widow is one of the least interesting Avengers anyway so I don't blame anyone for being lukewarm on the MCU currently

But Shang-Chi, Dr. Strange 2, Guardians 3, c'mon, lots of goodness to come later

I thought phase 2 was kind of dry and boring personally but it still had a couple goodies

In and of themselves, none of those interest me.  I'm not saying there is anything "bad" about that lineup.  But they are characters and storylines that, on their face, I don't have any emotional investment in.  And without any hint a a bigger, overall storyline, there isn't that big arc to get me excited either.  That said, as I've mentioned before, Marvel has done so well with their storylines in the past with characters I didn't much care for either.  So I'm not ruling out getting sucked back in and enjoying every minute of it.  It's just that, as of right now, for my particular tastes, there just isn't really any hook yet.  Maybe there will be.  But I'm just not excited now.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3626 on: January 14, 2020, 05:05:00 PM »
I hate to say it, but, by and large, Marvel doesn't excite me anymore.  From Iron Man through the end of the Infinity Saga (including the Spiderman FFH "coda"), I was completely onboard with anything and everything Marvel.  But it all just kind of feels "done" for me.  That doesn't mean I won't still be excited about select things, or that I probably won't see Black Widow and a lot of the other upcoming Marvel content.  But it just doesn't excite me and rise to the level of "must-see" content that phases 1-3 of the MCU were.

Sad to say, but I feel the same way. They're trying different things and taking risks with new characters in the next few years, which I respect, but it doesn't feel exciting to me at all anymore.

That's the issue for me right now. They clearly have it all perfectly connected and thought of, but nothing that has been announced so far feels like it's going anywhere with the rest of the movies and tv shows they've been working on for phase 4. I'm sure, though, that BW will have some hints for things to come, as they always do that.

I'd actually take the BW movie any day over the Shang-Chi or Eternals movies as these are characters most of us know nothing about. It just feels, so far, that the new stuff they're working on (vs sequels or continuations of sorts) isn't as interesting/appealing as the previous stuff we saw in phases 1-3.

I'm sure that once we know more about the bigger storyline they are building for phase 4 and beyond we'll either get very very excited or just completely lose any interest we might still have, but that might take a couple years to happen.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3627 on: January 14, 2020, 05:15:43 PM »

Sad to say, but I feel the same way. They're trying different things and taking risks with new characters in the next few years, which I respect, but it doesn't feel exciting to me at all anymore.

Yeah, exactly.  But I also don't mind that I feel that way.  Even if the MCU going forward doesn't end up pleasantly surprising me as the MCU past frequently did, I'm perfectly content with what we got up to this point.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3628 on: January 14, 2020, 05:30:08 PM »
How did ya'll feel at the beginning of the MCU? I was just thinking about this. I couldn't have cared less about Captain America when it came out - still saw it in theaters though, because nothing else was out that looked good - and I didn't care at all for the Thor movies, but after they came out I started to dig the characters and their roles in the films. Maybe the same will happen again, for you folks, with this new set of characters they're working on. Hopefully you still see them and they're pleasant surprises!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3629 on: January 14, 2020, 05:40:51 PM »
How did ya'll feel at the beginning of the MCU? I was just thinking about this. I couldn't have cared less about Captain America when it came out - still saw it in theaters though, because nothing else was out that looked good - and I didn't care at all for the Thor movies, but after they came out I started to dig the characters and their roles in the films. Maybe the same will happen again, for you folks, with this new set of characters they're working on. Hopefully you still see them and they're pleasant surprises!

I don't remember much, really. I was 13 at the time the first IM was released (2008) and I do have some memories of going to the theater with my dad to see it, but as he really isn't into these kinds of films we didn't catch most of the first few of them. I don't think I knew anything about the post credit scenes or the big unified plot at first, maybe my classmates at school didn't know much about it either. I still to this day haven't watched the Hulk movie because there was a previous one that I remember not liking at all.

There was a turning point after that, which I don't recall either, but I remember that by the time Avengers was going to be released I had already become a full MCU fan.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3630 on: January 15, 2020, 06:25:39 AM »
It wasn't until Phase 3 that MCU movies became must see for me. I'm hopeful that the next round of superheros will contain some pleasant surprises and the overarching story will build like it did up to Infinity War and Endgame. I'm sure I'll get pulled into the new stuff eventually like I did in Phase 3, but I'm with you all that I'm not super excited about the upcoming movies.

Offline H2

« Reply #3631 on: January 15, 2020, 10:41:25 AM »
I saw Iron Man when it came out and thought it was fine. At the time, the Raimi Spider-Man holy trilogy was the gold standard for superhero movies and I didn't think (at still don't think) the first Iron Man is quite that good. I didn't see anything else until Avengers, which I kinda liked but didn't fully appreciate, then I went back and watched the other pre-Avengers films and thought they were meh. I still think they're meh. But Phase 2 definitely took it up a notch, and Phase 3 another notch.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3632 on: January 15, 2020, 10:57:28 AM »
I saw Iron Man when it came out and thought it was fine. At the time, the Raimi Spider-Man holy trilogy was the gold standard for superhero movies and I didn't think (at still don't think) the first Iron Man is quite that good. I didn't see anything else until Avengers, which I kinda liked but didn't fully appreciate, then I went back and watched the other pre-Avengers films and thought they were meh. I still think they're meh. But Phase 2 definitely took it up a notch, and Phase 3 another notch.

I thought it was easily as good.  And that pleasantly surprised me because, (1) as you said, Spider Man (well, the first one anyway) was the gold standard, and I really love that film, and (2) as I said, I was not an Iron Man fan at all from the comics.  But Iron Man was fantastic and set a very high bar.  It and Captain America were both VERY good standalone phase 1 films.  And while I thought IM2, Hulk, and Thor were just "good," seeing them working together to the buildup that would be Avengers took them to another level outside of their merit as stand-alones.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3633 on: January 15, 2020, 11:03:38 AM »
**************MILD Eternals spoiler below.  Not much of one, because it only discusses when the film's story supposedly takes place, not any other plot details**************

I remember reading awhile back that The Eternals film was supposed to be set thousands of years in the past.  But according to a recent article, the eternals were sent to earth as its protectors thousands of years ago, but the events in Endgame had consequences that are going to force them out of hiding.  So, apparently, the film has two major settings in time: the origin thousands of years ago, and present day (after Endgame).  Interesting.  If they were sent as earth's protectors, I am curious how credible the explanation will be as to why they didn't get involved in some of the HUGE threats to the earth's existence that we saw unfold in the past 3 phases.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3634 on: January 15, 2020, 11:05:37 AM »
I really enjoyed Iron Man 1. I remember me and my best friend decided to go see it after seeing commercials on TV and we were blown the f away. We didn't know about the post-credits stuff until I think... Iron Man 2 or 3? So we weren't really sure Avengers was even a possibility. The first film definitely made me interested in Iron Man; my whole life up to that point I just kinda thought Tony Stark was a douche and Iron Man was lame, but the movie made him look awesome.

Online Adami

« Reply #3635 on: January 21, 2020, 03:42:33 PM »
Few thoughts...

1) I totally understand most of you not being over the moon excited about phase 4 at the moment. I mean...why SHOULD you be? You have a prequel with a dead character that was never the biggest deal, a movie about a huge group of characters we don't know at all, a kung fu guy we don't know, etc. There's no reason TO be excited right now. So not being pumped isn't a bad sign. It's just reality. Phase 1 likely didn't have everyone pumped either. We knew about The Avenger initiative at the end of Iron Man 1, but between that and The Avengers, the only thing that tied everything together was them fighting as a team. That was it. It wasn't until 4 years later in Avengers that we even saw Thanos. And in Phase 2, Thanos was basically a background idea. The stones were only really present in Thor 2 and stuff. So most of Phase 2 wasn't directly about Thanos or the stones. Phase 3 is really where it started tying together. The reason it all worked was because were introduced to these characters and fell in love with them. The plot wouldn't have worked if we weren't invested in the characters. Look at Justice League. No one cared because no one cared. So Phase 4 will likely be like phase 1. A lot of character introductions, so we can start investing again. START investing. So it's cool that you're not super excited, I don't think you're supposed to be yet.

2) Pic of US Agent in the Falcon and Winter Soldier show looks pretty awesome.

3) Lastly, I'd like to bring up the idea of how to use Magneto and Professor X in the MCU. There's a major issue that Magneto faces that almost no one else has. He is directly tied to a specific time in history. He was a child of the Holocaust. Meaning he had to be born in the early to mid 30's at the VERY latest. With Cap, you can just always extend how long he was frozen and you're good. With Stark, you can change the war since it was never necessarily Vietnam that defined him, just a war. But Magneto...it's the Holocaust, not just a war. If they wait til mid to late 2020's to bring him in, character will necessarily be about 90 years old or so. So what are your guys' thoughts on how to do that? Prof X can be from any era, but generally he has to be the flip side to Magneto, so they have to be relatively close in age to each other. I'm thinking maybe civil rights era stuff and they both be black? I'm just struggling to figure out how to make Magneto the character make sense in the 2020's.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3636 on: January 21, 2020, 03:45:31 PM »
They could...just do an X-Men arc that doesn't include Magneto?  There's plenty of story to be told that has nothing to do with him.

If they are bent on including him, I think they'll just have to drastically alter his origin story.  Not sure whether it will work and people will buy in.  We'll just have to see, I guess.

Online Adami

« Reply #3637 on: January 21, 2020, 03:47:01 PM »
They could...just do an X-Men arc that doesn't include Magneto?  There's plenty of story to be told that has nothing to do with him.

If they are bent on including him, I think they'll just have to drastically alter his origin story.  Not sure whether it will work and people will buy in.  We'll just have to see, I guess.

At first, totally. But eventually? I feel like they can't just never do him. But it's always possible I guess.

Plus, don't be a spoil sport! It was just a fun conversation starter.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3638 on: January 21, 2020, 04:10:52 PM »
That scene with young Eric in the camps, being dragged away as he pulls the fence behind him, is iconic, and I agree that the character of Magneto is in some ways defined by that moment.  To revise his backstory would cause some fans to scream bloody murder, no matter how you did it.  The only chance you'd have at appeasing the hardcore fans would be to substitute some equally iconic event or visual.  I have no idea what that would be, and am glad I don't have to come up with it.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3639 on: January 21, 2020, 04:25:32 PM »
I'm no X-Men buff so pardon my ignorance but couldn't they just do a different background for Magneto instead of being stuck to the Holocaust or are there multiple incarnations of Magneto over the years that all have the same background?

I mean they completely turned Thanos around from what he was in the Infinity Gauntlet book/story arc (no mention of his family or at least Eros as far as I'm aware, not being in love with the manifestation of Death, less of a psychopath etc.) so I don't see why they couldn't just alter some of Magneto's character background to make it work...