Author Topic: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe v2 (SPOILERS)  (Read 251406 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe v2 (SPOILERS)
« Reply #3535 on: December 04, 2019, 10:14:07 AM »
Black Widow is one of the least compelling characters in the MCU to me, unfortunately, although I did like her role in Endgame a lot. I just really do not care about her as a character much. She's been there since Iron Man 2 and yet... I dunno. Never really felt like that much of a spy to me, her lack of accent (I get it, expert spy, turn on/off accents at will, but still), lack of any superpowers just doesn't allow her character to connect with me the way even someone like Nick Fury does.

All that to say I think the trailer looks cool and fun and makes the film look potentially similar to The Winter Soldier in terms of vibe and big action sequences. I like the new characters so far, David Harbour is an instant plus to me as a big Stranger Things fan, and that enormous action sequence toward the end of the trailer has me excited. Not sure if this film will be of much consequence in the big picture, but it's nice that Black Widow finally gets her own time in the spotlight even if it's after her story's been wrapped up.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3536 on: December 04, 2019, 10:40:56 AM »
That's the part that really baffles me.  She's been around since Iron Man 2, she's been part of The Avengers (at least in the MCU) from the beginning, and we got origin stories from most of the major players as part of the buildup to Infinity War and Endgame.  Multiple movies for Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, even Ant-Man.  It seems to me that by not having a standalone Black Widow movie (until now) or Hawkeye movie, they are clearly "secondary" heroes in some eyes.  So now that that huge arc is over and we already know how it ends for her, now we get her origin story?  Talk about anti-climactic.

Part of it, I get.  Black Widow and Hawkeye do not have super powers.  They're not aliens like Thor, superpowered through other means like Captain America and Hulk, or even "somewhat" augmented like Spider-man.  But neither is Iron Man.  Stark is 100% mortal, regular human, just with amazing tech, and he was the lynchpin of the Avengers.  So being a "super hero" is not because you're actually super-powered compared to regular people.  It's...

I have no idea.  But I've never considered Black Widow or Hawkeye "super heroes".  Cool characters, good guys, heroes for sure, but not really in the same league as Iron Man or Captain America.  And from how they've been handled within the MCU, apparently others agree with me.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3537 on: December 04, 2019, 10:43:48 AM »
It's a Marvel film, so I am going to see it.

But since it is, I guess, a prequel of sorts (at the very least, set in time before her known demise), which is a bit of a turn off for me under any circumstances, it is definitely my least-looked-forward-to Marvel release thus far.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3538 on: December 04, 2019, 11:01:57 AM »

But since it is, I guess, a prequel of sorts (at the very least, set in time before her known demise), which is a bit of a turn off for me under any circumstances, it is definitely my least-looked-forward-to Marvel release thus far.

I read that it's set after the events of Captain America: Civil War.  So it still ties in pretty closely with the Marvel timeline.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3539 on: December 04, 2019, 11:03:01 AM »
Black Widow is one of the least compelling characters in the MCU to me

Same here.  When she was introduced in IM2, it was really cool because all the crossover stuff and allusions to a much larger Marvel universe was really just starting, and introduction of a character like her was part of that.  She was fantastic in Avengers as the spy/assassin who you didn't want to mess with.  And she was a great supporting character in The Winter Soldier.  But after that, I feel that as the MCU grew, it kind of outgrew her and made her less compelling in comparison.  She was still a perfectly good character, and very well played.  But with so many "upper-tier" characters in the MCU, the thought of her taking a starring role has just never really appealed to me.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3540 on: December 04, 2019, 11:22:29 AM »
I see your points Bosk, but I'm the opposite.  I think the character is far more relatable, being "just" human with no super powers.  You say "upper tier" but you use it in the context to really mean "bigger super powers".  I'm totally fine with a storyline that is less about  "super" powers, and more about the characters themselves - that's largely what we got with Winter Soldier, right?  And that (for most) is a Top 3 / Top 5 MCU movie.  That's what I'm excited for about this movie.

And yeah, we're going to get a back-story of sorts - she is afterall, dead.  Doesn't make sense to have a movie about her in the "now".   :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3541 on: December 04, 2019, 11:24:50 AM »
I think that's largely why I don't like Winter Soldier but I realize I'm in the minority. It feels more like a typical action beat 'em up flick and I'm not about that. I want superpowers! Superstrength is to superpowers what beige is to the color spectrum.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3542 on: December 04, 2019, 11:25:55 AM »
Doesn't make sense to have a movie about her in the "now".   :lol

Hmmm, you don't want a 2 hour movie that is just a shot of her lying dead?

I think it could be done well.  :metal
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3543 on: December 04, 2019, 11:35:36 AM »
I see your points Bosk, but I'm the opposite.  I think the character is far more relatable, being "just" human with no super powers.  You say "upper tier" but you use it in the context to really mean "bigger super powers". 

That's all fine.  But just to be clear, I am NOT referring simply to bigger super powers.  As Katt said, she just isn't all that compelling as a character.  Neither is Captain Marvel, and she has HUGE super powers.  Same with Hulk, actually.   I use "upper tier" to simply refer to characters that just have a bigger presence and depth that makes them more compelling and interesting. 

Hulk is an interesting example of how soft a concept this is.  I would consider him more of an "upper-tier"/"A-list" Avenger.  However, much like Black Widow, I don't find him to be all that compelling as a character on his own.  He's great in ensemble films in a supporting role.  But I, for one, have very little desire to see another Hulk solo movie.  Just not interesting to me.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3544 on: December 04, 2019, 11:43:09 AM »

I read that it's set after the events of Captain America: Civil War.  So it still ties in pretty closely with the Marvel timeline.
Yeah, but it's still in the past, and since we know what happens AFTER this story, I just won't be interested.  I generally don't like stories set in the past (prequels) if I know what happens afterward.  That's why I don't like shows like Gotham or Krypton (regardless of their production values or relative quality).  I just have no interest in that kind of story.  I want to know what happens NEXT, not BEFORE (flashbacks notwithstanding).

This isn't THAT drastic; I guess it's closer to, say, Indiana Jones & the Temple of Doom.  Which is my least favorite IJ film.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #3545 on: December 04, 2019, 12:01:15 PM »
I hope this answers how her hair turned blonde.

:neverusethis:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3546 on: December 04, 2019, 12:32:25 PM »

*************SPOILERS**************

It's set after the events in Frozen.

Offline H2

« Reply #3547 on: December 08, 2019, 11:54:24 AM »
Maybe one part of the explanation of why I'm feeling kinda meh about the BW movie is that Phase 3 was just so good. The recent string of releases has been of much higher quality than the MCU in the early days, so much so that I feel that the MCU has set a new standard for itself. Since Civil War, almost every film has felt like an above-average Marvel movie. I guess there were a few films that were just OK (looking at you, Captain Marvel and Ant-Man 2), but those are the exception, not the rule. And then we were hit with Far From Home which is basically a Phase 4 movie that continued the trend of really good movies. So unless BW is good enough to be up to par with 'the new standard', it's going to feel like a disappointment. And going off of the trailer, it looks like it's not going to be good enough.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3548 on: December 08, 2019, 01:52:08 PM »

*************SPOILERS**************

It's set after the events in Frozen.

Let it go bosk1.

I'm with Hef.  Don't you want to see how she handles after they defeated Thanos?  I do. 

Of course like Hef stated, I'm still seeing it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3549 on: December 08, 2019, 04:12:38 PM »

And yeah, we're going to get a back-story of sorts - she is afterall, dead.  Doesn't make sense to have a movie about her in the "now".   :lol

I was kind of hoping they'd go further back in the back story part and do a story on whatever the heck happened in Budapest.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #3550 on: December 08, 2019, 04:29:08 PM »
Personally, I think Budapest should remain unseen. It's much more interesting and effective as a Noodle Incident than it would be if it were explicated.

Online Adami

« Reply #3551 on: December 08, 2019, 04:32:22 PM »
Personally, I think Budapest should remain unseen. It's much more interesting and effective as a Noodle Incident than it would be if it were explicated.

I agree. Best case scenario is they show us and we say "Oh...fair enough."

Our imaginations are going to do a better job than whatever they could show us.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3552 on: December 08, 2019, 06:21:04 PM »
On the flip side, it's one of the most interesting things they could add to the film, imo.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3553 on: December 08, 2019, 09:30:02 PM »
3rd episode of The Runaways.   I like it so far.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3554 on: December 09, 2019, 10:50:28 AM »
I watched Captain marvel twice this week, once with commentary and once without. I still love the character and LOVE Brie's portrayal of her. The little looks she gives with her eyes and the occasional dry smile make me feel ways. Okay, so I just have a crush on Brie Larson. But I still think the movie is super fun.  :biggrin:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3555 on: December 09, 2019, 10:56:14 AM »
I enjoyed it on first viewing, but it doesn't have any repeat value for me at all.  That and a few storytelling missteps bring it to the bottom of the MCU catalog for me. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3556 on: December 09, 2019, 10:59:02 AM »
I enjoyed it on first viewing, but it doesn't have any repeat value for me at all.  That and a few storytelling missteps bring it to the bottom of the MCU catalog for me.

I will say the whole origin story stuff makes it really hard for me to go back to many "entry" MCU films (Black Panther, Dr. Strange, Captain America, etc...), but there are a couple ensemble movies I don't replay either (Guardians 2, Avengers 2...). I chalk it up to Brie being fine as hell and Sam Jackson being funny.  :lol

But I will say I don't think Marvel could release a film as boring or forgettable as The Incredible Hulk or the first two Thors...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3557 on: December 09, 2019, 11:13:30 AM »
Like Captain Marvel, I really enjoyed Thor at the time, but saw it fade away in terms of replay value.  But where it considerably edges out Captain Marvel for me is in that, while it isn't the greatest story and may not have the greatest execution, it was incredibly important both in terms of setting up the coming together of the Avengers and setting the stage for the earth to be alerted to cosmic threats, AND in terms of Thor's overall, long-term character arc.  With both of those things as context, I enjoy it on the rare occasions I revisit it.  But that said, with all the quality films they have put out, I still put it down near the bottom.

I never had much of an issue with Thor 2.  I would easily put it above CM, GOTG2, the first Thor, Hulk, and possibly IM2 and Black Panther.

But you know, again coming back to CM, I guess the issue I have with it is that it feels lower tier and right at home with the films I just mentioned.  But unlike at least the phase 1 films on that list (and possibly GOTG2, although I think CM is a better overall film than that one), it doesn't have that important emotional character arc aspect going for it to elevate it a bit beyond itself.  At least, not yet.  But again, that isn't necessarily a "problem" for me either.  The MCU has, overall, been fantastic, and I have no problem with every single film not being five-star.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3558 on: December 09, 2019, 12:02:41 PM »
I think one of the comments I heard about CM was that it would have been a great Phase 1 movie, that this movie could've been released right before Avengers 1 and still fit the story (and also avoid the confusion during the pots-credit of Infinity Ward when most of the audience had no idea what Fury did).
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3559 on: December 09, 2019, 12:23:34 PM »
My biggest problem with Captain Marvel (the movie) is that it just doesn't engage me.  I won't go as far as saying it's boring, but a lot of it seems to just be there, giving us backstory and glorious green-screen scenes that look really nice, but is just paint by numbers plot.  The initial misdirection with her and the Kree was interesting, and important.  But Yon-Rogg was weird.  I couldn't tell if he was just an asshole, or was testing her, or somehow was going to end up betraying her or something, and it turns out it was all of the above.  It doesn't help that I've never liked Jude Law.  Nothing against him, I suppose, but he's like the male equivalent of a pretty blonde who can't act worth shit, but looks so good that people just don't care.  His characters all feel the same to me.  I like Annette Bening a lot, and they managed to make her boring as well (still a babe tho).  The backstory stuff with Fury and Coulson was fun, and the twist with Talos, but when the best part of an origin story is the side stories, you have a problem.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3560 on: December 09, 2019, 12:39:15 PM »
My biggest problem with Captain Marvel (the movie) is that it just doesn't engage me.  I won't go as far as saying it's boring, but a lot of it seems to just be there, giving us backstory and glorious green-screen scenes that look really nice, but is just paint by numbers plot.  The initial misdirection with her and the Kree was interesting, and important.  But Yon-Rogg was weird.  I couldn't tell if he was just an asshole, or was testing her, or somehow was going to end up betraying her or something, and it turns out it was all of the above.  It doesn't help that I've never liked Jude Law.  Nothing against him, I suppose, but he's like the male equivalent of a pretty blonde who can't act worth shit, but looks so good that people just don't care.  His characters all feel the same to me.  I like Annette Bening a lot, and they managed to make her boring as well (still a babe tho).  The backstory stuff with Fury and Coulson was fun, and the twist with Talos, but when the best part of an origin story is the side stories, you have a problem.

Nailed it!!!! These are my sentiments exactly.

Were this to have been one of the first Marvel Movies released it would have fallen flat on it's face. The 'power' and recognition of all the other movies combined powered this one IMO. On it's own.....it's pretty blah....
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3561 on: December 09, 2019, 12:44:49 PM »
I dunno guys, I think Captain Marvel is better than Captain America in almost every way. I can't stand the first Cap film, or the first Thor film (or its sequel), or any of the Hulk movies, and even Ant-Man's first film was meh to me, but Captain Marvel is a pretty good one... tastes!  :biggrin:  :corn

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3562 on: December 09, 2019, 02:18:20 PM »

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #3563 on: December 09, 2019, 02:21:50 PM »
I just watched The first Captain America movie, and I still don't see the problem with it.

Although, It does have that really bad expository line by Bucky though, saying his own name.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3564 on: December 09, 2019, 02:25:46 PM »
I can't stand the first Cap film
WTF

Man, it just sucks, sorry dude. I don't like anything about it. Boring story and characters, ugly visuals, awful villain with terrible makeup. Only reason I can see any interest in it in hindsight is due to the Tesseract.

Online Adami

« Reply #3565 on: December 09, 2019, 02:27:56 PM »
I just watched The first Captain America movie, and I still don't see the problem with it.

Although, It does have that really bad expository line by Bucky though, saying his own name.

My only real issue with it is that it's basically a bookmark movie. Great job becoming Cap, great job getting him into the ice (mostly) but they really skipped over the entire 1940's life of Cap. Based solely on the movie, he was Cap battling Nazis for like 3 weeks. I wanted more of that, I wanted to see him be an awesome Cap. Not sure they could have done that in one movie though, and they needed him in the present for the Avengers, but it felt like a lot of really cool stuff wasn't put in there for that reason.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Adami

« Reply #3566 on: December 09, 2019, 02:28:13 PM »
WTF

Man, it just sucks, sorry dude. I don't like anything about it. Boring story and characters, ugly visuals, awful villain with terrible makeup. Only reason I can see any interest in it in hindsight is due to the Tesseract.

Okay Stadler.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3567 on: December 09, 2019, 02:29:48 PM »
Dude, I don't even like Winter Soldier. I know my takes are hot.  :lol

Online Adami

« Reply #3568 on: December 09, 2019, 02:30:56 PM »
Dude, I don't even like Winter Soldier. I know my takes are hot.  :lol

Hotter than 90's Winona Ryder.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3569 on: December 09, 2019, 02:41:07 PM »
WTF

Okay Stadler.

WAIT, what?