Author Topic: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe v2 (SPOILERS)  (Read 251997 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe v2 (SPOILERS)
« Reply #3430 on: August 29, 2019, 07:43:57 PM »
I’m hoping it’ll include pre-house of M stuff and stuff from the most recent vision comics, which were amazing.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3431 on: September 03, 2019, 04:28:14 AM »
Slightly off topic, but thought I'd drop this in here too....

Some (most?) know that jingle.son is an artist, and about a year and a half ago, I decided I wanted some of his art inked on me.  Now, I'd wanted it before he went off to school - LAST YEAR! - but he never got around to it last summer... which kinda pissed me off because it was really important to me.  Anywhoo... he did finally design something for my birthday, but then school took priority, and it didn't get finalized until earlier this month.  Finally got it inked yesterday, and I'm very happy with it.  It is supposed to look like it's in four separate pieces... almost like it's coming apart (or together, depending on your perspective).  That was his creative vision.

His design, and the final product.  Combining my love of comics (Thor was always my favorite growing up) and music (Zeppelin 4 symbols was my first  tattoo).  The notes 'carved' into the hammer are the opening riff to Immigrant Song. Despite his design including the time and key signature, the tattooist said it would be too small to get on there properly, so we had to pull it out.  It runs on the inside of my left forearm ... just below the elbow crease, and above my wrist.

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3432 on: September 03, 2019, 09:29:48 AM »
Who is the guy in red on the BW poster:
The guy in the red uniform is Soviet hero Red Star (basically their version of Captain America), being played by David Harbour.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #3433 on: September 03, 2019, 01:47:01 PM »
Chad,

It seems as if your son, as well as the tattoo artist, missed a spot between the head and the handle...
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3434 on: September 03, 2019, 02:27:58 PM »
Chad, that tattoo is awesome. :metal

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3435 on: September 04, 2019, 11:52:58 AM »
Chad,

It seems as if your son, as well as the tattoo artist, missed a spot between the head and the handle...

:lol

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3436 on: September 14, 2019, 05:39:02 PM »
So RDJ is reportedly going to be in the Black Widow movie. I’m assuming a small cameo and not a big role.

https://comicbook.com/marvel/amp/2019/09/14/black-widow-movie-casts-robert-downey-jr-report-mcu-marvel-studios/
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online Adami

« Reply #3437 on: September 27, 2019, 09:43:22 AM »
Spidey is back in the MCU. At least for one more movie.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3438 on: September 27, 2019, 09:43:57 AM »
Spidey is back in the MCU. At least for one more movie.

Sauce?
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online Adami

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3440 on: September 27, 2019, 09:51:39 AM »
WE GOT THE KID BACK
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3441 on: September 27, 2019, 10:01:42 AM »
NOICE

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online Adami

« Reply #3442 on: September 27, 2019, 10:06:03 AM »
At least for SM3. I’m really hoping they reach a deal where marvel can use him in their movies, Sony can use him in the spider verse movies and they work together for solo films. Who knows though?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3443 on: September 27, 2019, 10:07:54 AM »
This is a big deal! This may have saved phase 4 for me. The cliffhanger was ruined without Spider-Man involvement.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Adami

« Reply #3444 on: September 27, 2019, 10:19:42 AM »
So Amy Pascal at Sony said Spidey will also appear in an undisclosed Marvel movie. Not sure which or when. Hope they expand the deal.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3445 on: September 27, 2019, 01:16:24 PM »
So I'm guessing that means we'll probably get a movie with Spidey sometime in phase 4?  I don't think they'll just sit on this for a long period of time.  :dunno:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Adami

« Reply #3446 on: September 27, 2019, 01:24:04 PM »
So I'm guessing that means we'll probably get a movie with Spidey sometime in phase 4?  I don't think they'll just sit on this for a long period of time.  :dunno:

Confirmed for July (I think) 2021. So yup. In phase 4.

Edit: Yup! July 16th 2021.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3447 on: September 27, 2019, 01:32:04 PM »
:footloose:

I'm back on the Marvel hype train with all this Spidey news. My boy!!!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3448 on: September 27, 2019, 01:36:44 PM »
Just when I had no interest in most of the phase 4 movies, this comes in. Sweet.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3449 on: September 28, 2019, 08:39:23 AM »
The assumptions I'm reading are Spidey 3 and another team up or Avengers movie and then Spidey is done in the MCU. His story will be wrapped up and he'll be written out. Sounds like a good plan to me.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3450 on: September 29, 2019, 04:05:10 PM »
Yeah, I am okay with that. Seems the best solution. To continue his story outside of the MCU suddenly would've been an utter trainwreck because so many parts were tied to that universe. Now they can write towards his MCU exit. And a solo trilogy outside of the Avengers is enough.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3451 on: September 30, 2019, 11:47:29 AM »
I think this is just a temporary deal to get through the next couple of years.

I wouldn't be surprised one bit to see an extension after these two films (along with whatever Sony films Spidey shows up in during that time PLEASE NOT MORBIUM OR MADAME WEB)
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3452 on: September 30, 2019, 03:44:28 PM »
I think this is just a temporary deal to get through the next couple of years.

I wouldn't be surprised one bit to see an extension after these two films (along with whatever Sony films Spidey shows up in during that time PLEASE NOT MORBIUM OR MADAME WEB)

I don't know, I kind of like the MCU flow with most of the main heroes getting three solo films and a couple of Avenger starring roles. Now that Disney owns the rights to the X-Men and Fantastic Four they have no shortage of material  for the next couple of phases.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #3453 on: October 01, 2019, 11:09:05 AM »
If the plan is to do 2 more (1 Spidey/1 MCU) and give closure to his part of the MCU i think that's a good way to go about it because we're not just cutting this current run short and ending on a cliffhanger so at least there will be some resolution there.

Looking at the slate for phase 4 I'm actually not excited at all. That's not to say I'm negative or pessimistic but we have mostly a set of new IPs that don't excite me on name alone. I'll see these movies either way and hopefully they are good movies and then they'll win me over either way but my head is already thinking further into the future, like for example if phase 5 adds Fantastic Four and X-Men to the mix. Now that's something I would be really hyped for. I think Fantastic Four probably more than X-Men mostly because I think Fox did an OK job with X-Men (a few bad movies but a few great ones too) whereas Fantastic Four has imo never had a good movie.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3454 on: October 01, 2019, 11:21:07 AM »
Not sure what kind of "closure" they could have, short of killing Spidey (which they won't do).

He's in his teens, with a long and illustrious career ahead of him.  I can't think of an in-story way to give him closure and never seeing him again in the MCU.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3455 on: October 01, 2019, 11:29:59 AM »
Not sure what kind of "closure" they could have, short of killing Spidey (which they won't do).

He's in his teens, with a long and illustrious career ahead of him.  I can't think of an in-story way to give him closure and never seeing him again in the MCU.

He sacrifices himself in the Multi-universe story and lands on a different universe where he is trapped and can't get out (Not dead, just on a different dimension/universe never to be seen again).

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3456 on: October 01, 2019, 11:48:52 AM »
That sounds awful.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3457 on: October 01, 2019, 11:49:13 AM »
Count me as NOT very excited for FF or X-Men.  I've never cared for FF.  Ever.  And although I loved the X-Men comics back in the '80s, I feel I've far outgrown what they are selling with that brand. 

But even if that hurdle could be overcome by just solid film-making, here's my next obstacle:  Marvel has regularly surprised me by taking characters I've never cared for, and making films that are anywhere from solid at worst to outstanding at best, and mostly near the upper end of that spectrum.  BUT we've had so many films in those two franchises, and it becomes a weird set of mental gymnastics for me to constantly go through the process of telling myself "THOSE stories don't count in THIS universe, and THOSE characters don't exist here."  I know the same could be said of the two completely separate Spiderman universes that had been done prior to the MCU version.  And Marvel could surprise me and do quality stories that tie in so well that it is easy to disregard those prior versions of FF and X-Men.  They likely will.  But standing where we are right now and looking forward, I can't help but feel a bit of trepidation. 

I've loved the MCU up to now.  And while some of the upcoming titles look interesting, I'm just feeling a bit worn out by the prospect of the MCU going forward, and am seeing myself perhaps not viewing some films going forward as "must-see."  Until recently, everything was "must-see" in theaters and "must-buy" immediately upon home release.  Captain Marvel is the first that I still haven't bought (I will, for completeness, but not in any hurry, obviously).  And going forward, I just don't know.  I don't take anything away from what they've done.  But for me, I think I'm approaching that burnout point where I no longer care as much.  And that's fine. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #3458 on: October 01, 2019, 11:55:04 AM »
Whether you like it or not I think the multiverse might not be that far fetched because Into the Spidey Verse was a huge success and most Spider-Man fans loved it and by the sounds of it the new Dr Strange movie will go into that as well so you never know.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3459 on: October 01, 2019, 12:19:04 PM »
I know they are doing a multiverse concept.  But I think what it will entail is up in the air.  To me, it's kind of a turnoff in general.  But we'll see how it pans out.

I wouldn't expect it to have anything to do with Into the Spiderverse.  That is just its own thing (not to mention just being plain awful and painfully boring). 

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3460 on: October 01, 2019, 12:31:04 PM »
I posted this when they announced Spidey out of the MCU. I still believe that is the plan, and I wouldn't be surprised if it is what they do.

Also, I am more worried because I had a feeling it was the plan to link spider man to Doctor Strange Multi-Universe. Let's remember that there was a spider-verse before the movie  ::)

Offline H2

« Reply #3461 on: October 01, 2019, 01:08:22 PM »
I'm excited for the future MCU, especially and perhaps essentially due to Spidey's inclusion. Holland is so young and they have so many stories to tell and show no signs of stopping. I would not be surprised if Spidey's MCU career, despite the obstacles, exceeds Iron Man's. We're not quite there, but I am excited that it seems a live possibility. Who knows, we might just get that college trilogy, and perhaps more.

As for the Sony Spiderverse...I did not see Venom nor have any interest in seeing Venom, although I would if the story were somehow made MCU canon. However, Into the Spiderverse was amazing, and I would be hyped to see a non-canon, one-off Holland-Garfield-Maguire multiverse team-up movie. Imagine if they got all the original actors of the Sinister Six to play their roles. T'would be ridiculous but awesome.

As for X-Men and Fantastic 4, although I didn't care about or even see many of the Fox films, I have total faith that Feige or other MCU creatives can make them interesting. The track record for reintroducing past characters is great: they saved Spider-Man, despite the uninspired Garfield reboot; and let's not forget Daredevil and Ghost Rider, who are now fan favorites despite some terrible past movies; even Hulk, Cap, and Thor who had a shaky start in the early days were totally redeemed. X-Men and FF are gonna be great, c'mon!

Anyway, I'm almost all caught up on all the MCU stuff and hope to do so by the time Black Widow comes out. Where should I go next? Here's my TODO list and where I'm at:

Agents of Shield - Season 6 .   Such a good show. A little sad about the end of Season 5 but hopeful there are good stories to tell.
Jessica Jones - Season 3 - Season 1 was killer; Season 2 was a chore...Based on reviews, I don't have high hopes for S3....
Luke Cage - Season 2 - I feel indifferent towards this show, but I think I'd like S2.
Iron Fist - Season 2 - I heard it's completely revamped from S1 now that they got rid of Buck, so I'm excited.
Punisher - Season 2 - Frank Castle's awesome, looking forward to his feud with his ex-friend continuing.
Inhumans - Season 1 - I heard this show is trash, so...not looking forward to it.
Runaways - Seasons 1 and 2 - I know nothing about this show or the characters and don't feel too motivated to check it out.
Cloak and Dagger - Seasons 1 and 2 -- Similar feeling to Runaways.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3462 on: October 01, 2019, 02:48:10 PM »
I am not as excited about the X-Men, but I would definitely like to see the MCU's spin on the Fantastic Four.  Having said that, the best thing about acquiring the FF isn't really the FF; it's their villains.  Doctor Doom, Galactus, Annihilus, etc.

Even better: the best thing about Marvel acquiring Fox is that Fox won't make any more X-Men or FF films.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3463 on: October 01, 2019, 04:24:36 PM »
I am not as excited about the X-Men, but I would definitely like to see the MCU's spin on the Fantastic Four.  Having said that, the best thing about acquiring the FF isn't really the FF; it's their villains.  Doctor Doom, Galactus, Annihilus, etc.

Even better: the best thing about Marvel acquiring Fox is that Fox won't make any more X-Men or FF films.

Yeah this is where I'm at - I'm all about the F4 villains, not the heroes. Doctor Doom alone gives them enough material to build towards a Thanos-level arc.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3464 on: October 02, 2019, 11:18:07 AM »
One big happy Marvel family