Author Topic: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe v2 (SPOILERS)  (Read 248372 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Avengers: Endgame -- PUT ALL SPOILERS HERE ONLY
« Reply #3045 on: May 06, 2019, 02:07:13 PM »
Not exactly... Whedon wrote Ultron. McFeely, Markus, the Russos didn't. So really it's up to Whedon. Even in that quote you shared, it's more or less an interpretation that they're running with, not the actual fact from the real horse's mouth. :P

EDIT: What Adami and his fast fingers wrote. :P
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3046 on: May 06, 2019, 02:10:27 PM »
And Bosk, you may very well be right about Cap.

I looked up what Joss said about it. He doesn't give an answer but he hints that it's at least possible that cap chose to stop. Not enough to make a declarative statement, but enough to have a theory, which is dandy.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3047 on: May 06, 2019, 02:10:30 PM »
A sign of a good movie(s) is when the movie leaves room for open interpretations.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3048 on: May 06, 2019, 02:23:10 PM »
Back to Spiderman:  This new trailer appears to reveal a LOT about what the plot and direction of the film will be.  As much as Engame was kept shrouded in secrecy and the trailers were very cryptic, I feel like the approach is completely different with Spiderman.  What do you guys think about that?  Part of me feels like they went too far and revealed too much.  But it could perhaps be a good strategy moving forward into the MCU.  A lot of the more casual fans or those who may be feeling a bit burned out and might not have made MCU films a priority going forward might be pulled back in knowing that there are very close tie-ins to Endgame.  And then if some of those fans end up liking this Spiderman film, they might be more inclined to go see whatever is next whereas they might not have, otherwise.

Or maybe they still just didn't need any of that and they revealed far too much.  Thoughts?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3049 on: May 06, 2019, 02:37:23 PM »
I think it's a smart move to reveal what they did because now I'm way more excited to see the film and hopefully there are more references to things going hog wild after Endgame. I love the take that Mysterio is from another universe and that Spidey has to team up with him. LOVE it, love the strong connection and acknowledgment of Endgame's events, this is gonna be a fun one.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #3050 on: May 06, 2019, 04:28:58 PM »
Saw Endgame again, and now my big question is why the rush for Stark to snap? At that point the objective was to keep the gauntlet away from Thanos and return the stones to their timelines. Better to give it back to Danvers who would likely not be injured by the snap.

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #3051 on: May 06, 2019, 04:34:49 PM »
I think it more has to do with the fact that Sony's the one that preps the trailer and markets the movie. The trailers for both Spidey movies have been "off brand" by MCU standards but it's much more in line with how Sony would market it.

Also, I'm of the opinion that Mysterio's totally faking everything. iirc wasn't he kind of a trickster character and an illusionist or something in the comics? It could very well be that he's gonna pull a Syndrome and fabricate the battles to make himself look like a hero for some reason or another. Or he's going to be lying about the whole multiverse thing, but then Marvel's like "well, no, but actually yes" and it turns out to be true.

Seconding being more excited with the direct references to Endgame in the trailer. There's a LOT of potential fallout from both The Snap and The Unsnap to go through and I'm interested in how they're going to tackle that and the characters dealing with IM's death (especially since word is that AoS is apparently not going to at all).

Saw Endgame again, and now my big question is why the rush for Stark to snap? At that point the objective was to keep the gauntlet away from Thanos and return the stones to their timelines. Better to give it back to Danvers who would likely not be injured by the snap.

Well, I mean, there's a couple of problems with that:
1) Danvers is kinda unconscious atm because she kinda got a full force blast from the power gem
2) Thanos is a major threat even without the infinity gauntlet.
3) There was an interview I read where they confirmed that she can't wield the Infinity Gauntlet either. The only Avenger who can wield it without biting the dust is Hulk iirc

Offline Adami

« Reply #3052 on: May 06, 2019, 04:35:12 PM »

Because people were dying. The world was in danger. Thanos might have killed more Avengers. Tony couldn't NOT prevent the further loss of life. Especially after Endgame where his life was traded for trillions. It's very much in character for him to do what he did. He finally had the power to protect those he loves for good, and he did that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Adami

« Reply #3053 on: May 06, 2019, 06:17:09 PM »
Feels weird having to discuss Spider-Man in this thread, but so it goes.

So since there's now multiple universes, here's my theory.

Mysterio is a nobody villain in his world. Basically a joke. Then when he realizes he can move universes, he finds this one where most of the heroes are dead (I'll assume he came pre-snap, though who knows? doesn't matter much) or not and decides to try to con our universe. So he comes in, pretends to be a big hero, sets up his own problems to solve and just wants love and admiration. Spidey finds out eventually and 3rd act is them two fighting.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3054 on: May 06, 2019, 06:34:38 PM »
I like that, Adami.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3055 on: May 07, 2019, 05:51:08 AM »

Because people were dying. The world was in danger. Thanos might have killed more Avengers. Tony couldn't NOT prevent the further loss of life. Especially after Endgame where his life was traded for trillions. It's very much in character for him to do what he did. He finally had the power to protect those he loves for good, and he did that.

The real answer is that there was only 1 / 14M chances to win.

Makes that scene in Avengers between Tony/Cap about 'I'd just cut the wire' all the more retrospective.  Tony did lay down his life - for real this time - to save others.  And yeah... all the other Avengers were down an out.  Tony was out of time and had to do what had to be done.   Seems he'd be more worthy than Cap to wield Mjolnir!   :D 
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3056 on: May 07, 2019, 01:15:27 PM »
Seems he'd be more worthy than Cap to wield Mjolnir!   :D 
Speaking of that, Joe Russo apparently doubled down and AGAIN said he was bluffing in AOU.  :lol  So I guess the only contrary position depends on debating the definition of "horse." 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3057 on: May 07, 2019, 01:25:52 PM »
Is it spelled out somewhere exactly what makes someone "worthy" to wield Mjolnir?  A list of qualifications, a general statement, anything?

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #3058 on: May 07, 2019, 01:30:47 PM »
3 years minimum prior experience being "worthy" ...

But you can't get that experience unless because you aren't worthy.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #3059 on: May 07, 2019, 03:41:48 PM »
Is it spelled out somewhere exactly what makes someone "worthy" to wield Mjolnir?  A list of qualifications, a general statement, anything?

I did some Google Fu, and there's apparently not even a set list of qualifications in the comics. It seems to be that you have to have "good intentions" when lifting Mjolnir, a "heart of a warrior", be of "pure heart and noble mind", and courageous. Also Mjolnir is sentient and has its own qualifications. There was a point where even Odin couldn't lift it apparently.

It might be the same in the MCU, but it looks really inconsistent.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3060 on: May 07, 2019, 04:16:28 PM »
Seems like they included some of the things you'd expect, but intentionally left it a bit open so that you could still be surprised once in a while by a storyline or a specific character (Captain America, Mister Rogers, etc.)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3061 on: May 07, 2019, 04:42:37 PM »
I think it's even simpler than that.  I don't think the comics really had a clear description of what "worthy" meant or any intent to define it.  And through the years, with different writers and different storylines, what constituted "worthy" was up to whatever a particular Marvel writer wanted to do with the story.  In other words, there isn't a set meaning, and it has likely changed many times over time.

I think the same is basically true in the films. 

Offline Adami

« Reply #3062 on: May 07, 2019, 04:52:52 PM »
Actually, in the MCU there is a very specific list of criteria that makes you worthy of lifting Mjolnir. It's actually just one thing.

1) Must be played by a Chris.

Oddly, StarLord could have lifted it too. Just never tried
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #3063 on: May 07, 2019, 05:09:19 PM »
Actually, in the MCU there is a very specific list of criteria that makes you worthy of lifting Mjolnir. It's actually just one thing.

Ah yes, all the wielders of Mjolnir: Chris Hemsworth, Chris Evans, Chris Bettany, Chris Hopkins, and Chris Blanchett.

Offline Adami

« Reply #3064 on: May 07, 2019, 05:16:56 PM »

Ah yes, all the wielders of Mjolnir: Chris Hemsworth, Chris Evans, Chris Bettany, Chris Hopkins, and Chris Blanchett.

And what happened to people not named Chris? THEY ALL DIED!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #3065 on: May 07, 2019, 06:19:30 PM »
I mean, tbf, Chris Pratt did die in IW and Chris Evans did die of old age shortly after Endgame (most likely). Also those last three people died fo sho

So all the Chrises besides Hemsworth have died so far

Offline Adami

« Reply #3066 on: May 07, 2019, 06:39:07 PM »
Listen, this is clearly the most important conversation to happen yet in this thread, so I ain't giving up.

Currently in the MCU, all three Chris's are alive and well. We ain't see Cap's body, cap ain't dead.

So all Chris's alive. Everyone else who wielded Mjolnir is dead.

As I said, if Peter Quill tried to pick up the hammer, he could do it. If only he knew that.

If Trevor from Wonder Woman hopped over to the MCU, he could pick it up too. It's science.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3067 on: May 07, 2019, 06:45:55 PM »
RIP Thor

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #3068 on: May 07, 2019, 09:01:01 PM »
Listen, this is clearly the most important conversation to happen yet in this thread, so I ain't giving up.

Currently in the MCU, all three Chris's are alive and well. We ain't see Cap's body, cap ain't dead.

So all Chris's alive. Everyone else who wielded Mjolnir is dead.

As I said, if Peter Quill tried to pick up the hammer, he could do it. If only he knew that.

If Trevor from Wonder Woman hopped over to the MCU, he could pick it up too. It's science.

Those are all fair points. The question is now, is there a limit to the Chris rule? Do you have to be born a Chris or can people who identify as Chrises (e.g. Christopher Walken) also wield Mjolnir? Does it only apply to characters played by actors named Chris or can Christopher Robbin wield Mjolnir? What about Marty, the zebra from Madagascar? He's voiced by Chris Rock after all

Offline Adami

« Reply #3069 on: May 07, 2019, 09:03:23 PM »
The rules are simple.

1) Played by an actor named Chris.
2) Character name doesn't matter
3) Animated characters....please, take this seriously.
4) Obviously Christopher Walken can wield Mjolnir. What a silly question. But beyond him, must be born a Chris.
5) Female Chris's can also wield it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #3070 on: May 07, 2019, 09:22:30 PM »

Okay so apparently it's all true

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3071 on: May 08, 2019, 10:10:14 AM »
Dear Lord
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Adami

« Reply #3072 on: May 08, 2019, 10:52:35 AM »
Dear Lord

Well obviously YOU can wield Mjolnir. We just assumed that was a given.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3073 on: May 08, 2019, 02:56:26 PM »
Dear Lord

Well obviously YOU can wield Mjolnir. We just assumed that was a given.
:djhef:
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3074 on: May 08, 2019, 03:14:47 PM »
around here, isn't it Bosky that wields the banhammer?

:banhammer:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline PetFish

« Reply #3075 on: May 08, 2019, 03:18:14 PM »
My only beef with the movie is that the whole thing is dependent on a Jonny Rat.  A fluke rat accidentally releases Ant-Man and saves the universe.  The universe is saved all because of blind luck and a ridiculous chance that Jonny Rat stumbles over the controls to release Ant-Man.

I can imagine the van being towed back to Scott's home and his daughter, who misses her Dad and is heavily mourning, is fiddling around with it trying to understand this thing that her Dad was so close to.  So, if she figures it out, great, but even if she also accidentally brings her Dad back it still works way better than some random vermin doing the deed.

TL;DR - Thanos is defeated and the universe is saved due to Jonny Rat and his dumb luck.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3076 on: May 08, 2019, 03:24:13 PM »
I actually have zero issues with the rat. I have a much bigger problem with how TF the van got pulled off the roof and into Scott Lang's storage facility.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #3077 on: May 08, 2019, 03:37:21 PM »
I actually have zero issues with the rat. I have a much bigger problem with how TF the van got pulled off the roof and into Scott Lang's storage facility.

Must have been quite the surprise when they discovered it up there.

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
A sneak peak of the premier of season 6 of Agents of Shield has been released (No Endgame Spoilers). It looks absolutely fantastic tbh, like they've really ramped up the CG budget for this season.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3079 on: May 08, 2019, 07:18:01 PM »
Major SPOILER:

In Avengers: Endgame all the characters live in a very deep state of depression for years. Black Widow, Tony Stark, Steve Rogers, Hawkeye, Thor, etc ... All except Bruce Banner.

In The Incredible Hulk (2008) we are shown that Banner can not have sex because when his heart rate accelerates he can transform into a Hulk. In Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015) Banner tells Black Widow that he can not procreate children, alluding to the theme that he can not have sex.

In Endgame Bruce Banner and Hulk achieved the perfect balance to become a single person in body and mind, and all the time we see him as Professor Hulk, he is super happy in life, making jokes and very relaxed completely. It completely goes against the rest of the Avengers.

Why is he so happy? Simple: Bruce Banner can now fuck again.

During that period of 5 years, Banner has gain full control of his body and has been "crushing", taking off all the fever that he kept for years.

So that's why Hulk is so happy now.

If you have a friend who only lives in bitterness, you already know what they are lacking in their life.

:facepalm: