Author Topic: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe v2 (SPOILERS)  (Read 252170 times)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Avengers: Endgame -- PUT ALL SPOILERS HERE ONLY
« Reply #2940 on: April 30, 2019, 03:42:48 PM »
When Banner/Hulk showed up in New York, didn't she say something like "You're five years too early"?  I couldn't follow everything she said about Strange and why she had the stone.

Yup. She knew all about Stephen Strange but not Thanos which I don't fully understand but whatever.

She can see her own life. She died before Thanos ever came to Earth. So she knows Strange since she can see the parts of her life when she meets him, but Thanos came by long after she died, so she had no knowledge of that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2941 on: April 30, 2019, 03:50:13 PM »
When Banner/Hulk showed up in New York, didn't she say something like "You're five years too early"?  I couldn't follow everything she said about Strange and why she had the stone.

Yup. She knew all about Stephen Strange but not Thanos which I don't fully understand but whatever.

She can see her own life. She died before Thanos ever came to Earth. So she knows Strange since she can see the parts of her life when she meets him, but Thanos came by long after she died, so she had no knowledge of that.

Ahh, well there we go then! One mystery solved.  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2942 on: April 30, 2019, 03:52:37 PM »

Ahh, well there we go then! One mystery solved.  :lol

Wasn't much of a mystery - she explicitly explained this to Strange in their movie. 
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2943 on: April 30, 2019, 03:54:12 PM »
Well I haven't seen the movie in quite some time and that's not exactly a detail I thought I'd need to refresh myself on going into Endgame so it kind of was a mystery since I forgot. So there. :)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Adami

« Reply #2944 on: April 30, 2019, 04:05:40 PM »
Well I haven't seen the movie in quite some time and that's not exactly a detail I thought I'd need to refresh myself on going into Endgame so it kind of was a mystery since I forgot. So there. :)

You don’t have a photographic memory?

That is so not prog.

Yea, my big rewatch really helped me with stuff like that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2945 on: April 30, 2019, 04:07:15 PM »
Yeah, most of the later movies I've only seen once, and there are a shitload of details.  I mean, the fact that she knew who Dr. Strange was and that they're "five years too early" shows that she obviously has foresight, but Banner had to fill her in on the deal with Thanos, and ultimately that's what convinced her to give him the stone.  I didn't follow all of it, so my main takeaway was "okay, they got the stone".

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2946 on: April 30, 2019, 04:16:39 PM »
Well, that pretty much IS the main takeaway, so...
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2947 on: April 30, 2019, 04:48:13 PM »

You don’t have a photographic memory?

That is so not prog.

Yea, my big rewatch really helped me with stuff like that.

:lol Yeah... I tried to do my rewatch but I got caught up with other things early on, like right after Iron Man 2 hahaha. So I just stuck to reading your recaps  :biggrin:

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2948 on: April 30, 2019, 05:46:16 PM »
I agree with Chad.

I was waiting to see how they shoehorned a scene like that in, and rolled my eyes when I saw it. It doesn't negatively impact the movie for me at all. It's just... yea

That female power scene felt very out of place, even my girlfriend turned to me and said "that was unnecesary". We get it, there's some badass females in the Avengers/MCU, but we (the audience) aren't that dumb to not realize it, we don't need to be told "oh, look they're badass because they're female #feminism". Like you said, it doesn't impact the movie overall, but it was completely unnecesary.

Now, one of my biggest concerns is that Carol "deus ex machina" Danvers aka Captain Feminazi most likely becomes the face of the MCU going forward, and her character isn't well written at all. I'd rather have Black Panther or Strange leading the MCU, not CM.

BTW, don't think this has been discussed, but now that both Tony and Steve aren't there anymore, I find it even less likely they do an Illuminati storyline at some point. Can't have the Illuminati without Stark imo.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2949 on: April 30, 2019, 05:55:27 PM »
I'd rather have Black Panther or Strange leading the MCU, not CM.

metoo

Offline Adami

« Reply #2950 on: April 30, 2019, 06:10:12 PM »
Honestly? Based solely on how they are showing CM's character, I don't see her leading the MCU the way you guys might think.

There will probably be cosmic MCU and Terran MCU. CM seems dedicated to being in the cosmic realm. So for everyone on Earth, you'll probably end up having one of the Earth bound characters being the lead. That said, I really hope they move away from giant team up movies for quite some time. Anything they try will pale in comparison to Infinity War and Endgame, and I think Marvel is smart enough to realize that and go in a more personal, smaller direction for some time.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2951 on: April 30, 2019, 06:48:43 PM »
Honestly? Based solely on how they are showing CM's character, I don't see her leading the MCU the way you guys might think.

There will probably be cosmic MCU and Terran MCU. CM seems dedicated to being in the cosmic realm. So for everyone on Earth, you'll probably end up having one of the Earth bound characters being the lead.
That said, I really hope they move away from giant team up movies for quite some time. Anything they try will pale in comparison to Infinity War and Endgame, and I think Marvel is smart enough to realize that and go in a more personal, smaller direction for some time.

That makes a lot of sense, and I hope they do something like that, but I was worried because since they introduced CM they've been telling us how she is stronger than anyone else and how she's gonna save everyone, blah blah.

All Tthis makes me wonder, do we have to wait till comicon to know the new batch of movies they're going to release in the next phase?
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2952 on: April 30, 2019, 06:55:40 PM »

Online faizoff

« Reply #2953 on: April 30, 2019, 07:38:04 PM »
Rewatching some of the MCU movies now not in any particular order, saw Infinity War first. Thanos is so well done in this movie, it really is his movie.

Iron Man, hadn't seen this in ages and I forgot how grounded in reality the first MCU movie was. The Iron Man suit was so primitive with Tony needing help to suit up, had power limitations, etc.. I love how rudimentary things are in that movie now looking back. The suit has come a long long way from then to now.

Loved the story, didn't realize it was still unfinished when they started shooting with some dialog improv in many places.  Howard Stark is shown and mentioned in a montage as having a profound influence on Tony. Interesting to read how Jon Favreau conceived to originally retain Iron Monger as the main villain for all Iron Man movies with the Mandarin having an Emperor Palpatine like role. Agent Coulson was just written as 'agent' and not fully thought out as part of SHIELD initially.

Might watch Thor or First Avenger next.

"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2954 on: April 30, 2019, 09:51:41 PM »

But did he survive the battle?

Endgame was amazing. I love time travel stories, so this was such a treat. Here's to the next 10 years of Marvel. In 10 years we might be seeing The New Avengers, X-Men, and the Fantastic Four battling Galactus.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2955 on: May 01, 2019, 05:04:14 AM »

Now, one of my biggest concerns is that Carol "deus ex machina" Danvers aka Captain Feminazi most likely becomes the face of the MCU going forward, and her character isn't well written at all. I'd rather have Black Panther or Strange leading the MCU, not CM.

Give it a rest mate.   

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2956 on: May 01, 2019, 07:41:13 AM »
So is anyone gonna tell me where Korg, Valkryrie, etc were when Thanos blew up the Asgardian lifeboat in IW?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2957 on: May 01, 2019, 07:44:17 AM »
So is anyone gonna tell me where Korg, Valkryrie, etc were when Thanos blew up the Asgardian lifeboat in IW?

I think the Russos went on record as saying Valkyrie and co. escaped before Thanos blew everyone's lives up.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Saw it last night.

HOLY SHIT
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Adami

« Reply #2959 on: May 01, 2019, 08:33:57 AM »
I wanted to ask this in the general Marvel thread, but it's Endgame spoiler, so it goes here.

Agents of Shield comes back in 9 days, and they said it takes place post-snap. Do you guys think it'll be in that 5 years of sadness or 5 years later?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
So I spent the last few weeks trying to catch up on MCU movies (and some non MCU movies). Finally saw Homecoming (which was so much better than I expected) and watched half of Antman and Wasp (fell asleep.. oh well). I also finally saw Deadpool 2 and Last Jedi but this isn't the thread for that.

Now all I am missing is Captain Marvel. I have tickets to see Endgame tonight for my birthday. Had tickets to see Marvel last night... but something came up and wasn't able to go. So we tried to get tickets for a really late showing last night, but that same thing prevented us from going. I've heard that seeing Captain Marvel before Endgame isn't 100% necessary. Is this true?

Yes. You can safely skip The Incredible Hulk, Black Panther, and Captain Marvel before seeing this movie. BP is more important for IW (and even then), and Captain Marvel only serves to add more context to a single scene in Endgame and introduce the character and her powers. I still recommend you watch them tho because they're great. I still haven't seen Hulk. It's not that important in the broader MCU.

Necessary films prior to Endgame:
Iron Man 1*, 2, 3
Captain America 1*, 2*, 3*
Thor 1*, 2*, 3*
Avengers 1*, 2*, 3*
Ant-Man 1*, 2*
Guardians of the Galaxy 1*, 2
Doctor Strange*
Spider-man Homecoming

*Absolutely necessary, but this movie DOES assume that you've seen everything but Hulk so I do recommend having seen all of them.

I think it's weird that you have all three Thors and BOTH Ant-Mans as absolutely necessary but only the first Iron Man. Tony's arc is the biggest and most important in the MCU, all 3 Iron Man films should be mandatory viewing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2961 on: May 01, 2019, 08:59:49 AM »
Wow, that's a really good question.  I'm going to guess that it starts off either late in the former or early in the latter.  And knowing nothing about the season, I say that just from the logistical standpoint of having half the cast missing for an entire season if it is set any earlier.  I don't see that happening.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Saw it last night.

HOLY SHIT
This is the correct reaction.

In a number of ways, I loved it so much. It's among my favourites of the franchise. I really couldn't say after one viewing whether it'll end up being my favourite, I think at some point I'm going to do a full re-watch of the Infinity Saga.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2963 on: May 01, 2019, 09:03:11 AM »
I wanted to ask this in the general Marvel thread, but it's Endgame spoiler, so it goes here.

Agents of Shield comes back in 9 days, and they said it takes place post-snap. Do you guys think it'll be in that 5 years of sadness or 5 years later?
I really hope the former to be honest, that would be so awesome.

I also really like how Endgame did time travel, where you can't undo what has happened, only create alternative timelines, but you can bring things back into the present in order to change the future. Really nifty rule which means that within the MCU timeline, nothing is retconned and everything stays canon.

EDIT: Honestly, between upcoming shows and movies, they could do some really brilliant exploration of that five year period.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2964 on: May 01, 2019, 09:13:46 AM »
https://tvline.com/2019/04/30/agents-of-shield-season-6-photos-karolina-wydra-mercenary/

When Season 6 opens on Friday, May 10 at 8/7c — picking up one year after they dropped a terminal Coulson off in Tahiti — the team is “scattered across the galaxy,” still coming to grips with the knowledge that bending the laws of space and time may have saved the planet, but it couldn’t save Fitz or their former Director

So AOS is set one year after last season.  I haven't seen Endgame, but did read some spoilers...I don't know how this would fit in with the five-year thing.

Offline Adami

« Reply #2965 on: May 01, 2019, 09:14:45 AM »
I think they said it would also be post-snap, and that previous seasons were all pre-snap. So this must be in that 5 years.

100 bucks says that don't really deal with any of it beyond a quick mention.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2966 on: May 01, 2019, 09:23:44 AM »
Which is all the TV/movie crossovers have been for the last few years, so yeah you're probably right. We could be surprised.

This also makes me wonder if it was a factor in Netflix cancelling all its Marvel shows. Perhaps the higher ups discussed what the plan was for IW/Endgame and what the ramifications would be, and Netflix decided it was too much bother to try and fit in with that as ultimately they'd have to keep checking with Marvel Studios and deferring decisions on a lot of things to them.

Probably not, but you never know.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2967 on: May 01, 2019, 09:41:52 AM »
I found that the film was dominated by Steve and Tony.  As it should be.

I literally came out of my seat when Cap started wielding Mjolnir.

And at "Avengers...assemble!"

My eldest daughter cried so much that she gave herself a migraine.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
Gabriel Luna returns as Ghost Rider!   :metal   I loved the character on Agents of Shield and I'm glad that they're continuing with it!

https://ew.com/tv/2019/05/01/hulu-ghost-rider-helstrom-series/?utm_campaign=entertainmentweekly_entertainmentweekly&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_term=CDB9284A-6C1D-11E9-A0E2-37B3FCA12A29&utm_medium=social&utm_content=link&fbclid=IwAR254GZnCeMfYwuvGU7fYU5Opl9TCkDCP1cMjrL3HYPeFAt8zJF7qbxVrUc

All Hell will break loose on Hulu come 2020.

With all the announcements coming out of the Hulu Television Upfront presentation in New York this week, the streaming studio announced Wednesday two more live-action Marvel series have joined its roster: Marvel’s Ghost Rider and Marvel’s Helstrom, both slated to debut next year.

Ghost Rider, showrun and executive produced by Ingrid Escajeda, will tell the story of Robbie Reyes, described as a “quintessential antihero” “consumed by hellfire and supernaturally bound to a demon. Reyes lives on the Texas/Mexico border and when he unleashes the Rider, Robbie brings vengeance for the innocents he encounters, but struggles to control the power he wields.”

Marvel fans will know Gabriel Luna plays Robbie on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.,and EW has confirmed Luna will also star in Ghost Rider, which will also be executive produced by S.H.I.E.L.D. EPs Paul Zbyszewski and Jeph Loeb. According to Hulu, this isn’t a traditional spin-off of S.H.I.E.L.D. but will focus on the “same character with [a] new story that lives unto its own.”

In a statement, Escajeda says the show fulfills her “love for grounded yet conflicted characters and my desire to scare the $&!# out of people.” She adds, “It’s important to me to find a take that thrills existing fans as well as wider audiences and I believe we’ve done just that

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2969 on: May 01, 2019, 10:02:29 AM »

Awwwwww.... (and lol)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I've NEVER cared for Ghostrider, either in comics, or any of the screen representations...until Luna's depiction of him in AOS.  I am interested in this.

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
So I spent the last few weeks trying to catch up on MCU movies (and some non MCU movies). Finally saw Homecoming (which was so much better than I expected) and watched half of Antman and Wasp (fell asleep.. oh well). I also finally saw Deadpool 2 and Last Jedi but this isn't the thread for that.

Now all I am missing is Captain Marvel. I have tickets to see Endgame tonight for my birthday. Had tickets to see Marvel last night... but something came up and wasn't able to go. So we tried to get tickets for a really late showing last night, but that same thing prevented us from going. I've heard that seeing Captain Marvel before Endgame isn't 100% necessary. Is this true?

Yes. You can safely skip The Incredible Hulk, Black Panther, and Captain Marvel before seeing this movie. BP is more important for IW (and even then), and Captain Marvel only serves to add more context to a single scene in Endgame and introduce the character and her powers. I still recommend you watch them tho because they're great. I still haven't seen Hulk. It's not that important in the broader MCU.

Necessary films prior to Endgame:
Iron Man 1*, 2, 3
Captain America 1*, 2*, 3*
Thor 1*, 2*, 3*
Avengers 1*, 2*, 3*
Ant-Man 1*, 2*
Guardians of the Galaxy 1*, 2
Doctor Strange*
Spider-man Homecoming

*Absolutely necessary, but this movie DOES assume that you've seen everything but Hulk so I do recommend having seen all of them.

I think it's weird that you have all three Thors and BOTH Ant-Mans as absolutely necessary but only the first Iron Man. Tony's arc is the biggest and most important in the MCU, all 3 Iron Man films should be mandatory viewing.

I thought about including Iron Man 3, but honestly a lot of his arc is covered through Iron Man 1, Avengers, Age of Ultron, Civil War, Spider-man Homecoming, and Infinity War. Again, this is the bare minimum you need to watch to be able to catch everything going on in Endgame. Which is still like 2/3 of the MCU lol. Really, you should have seen EVERYTHING (but Hulk because it has little effect on the MCU outside of brief mentions in Avengers and Luke Cage, and reintroducing Thunderbolt Ross during CW) at this point to get the best experience.

I'm going to try say this as vaguely as possible to avoid spoilers, but the 3 Thor movies and both Ant-Man movies introduce things that are really big in IW/Endgame, especially the last two Thor movies. In retrospect, you could probably skip the first Thor movie if you've already seen Avengers. As average as it is, The Dark World is one of the most important movies for the Infinity Saga. You MIGHT be able to skip Ant-Man 1 so long as you watch Ant-Man and the Wasp, but you'll probably be a little bit confused at parts for AM&tW. Ragnarok is an absolute must.

Again I'd watch all of them. Except Hulk.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2972 on: May 01, 2019, 01:18:06 PM »

Awwwwww.... (and lol)
My sentiments exactly

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #2973 on: May 01, 2019, 04:06:15 PM »
Which is all the TV/movie crossovers have been for the last few years, so yeah you're probably right. We could be surprised.

I mean, AoS is pretty closely tied to the events of the MCU films and the Defenders series:

-Winter Soldier's revelation that SHIELD had been infiltrated by HYDRA directly influenced the Season 2 plot of AoS
-Captain Marvel and AoS both have characters who have been infused with Kree blood (and I'm willing to bet that Carol Danvers was a big inspiration for the creation of the TAHITI project)
-Fury references AoS vaguely at the end of Age of Ultron when he's pulling up in the helicarrier (Coulson was the one who had it fixed in AoS)
-The Sokovia Accords directly effect the events of AoS in the later seasons
-Talbot becoming Graviton is as a direct result of the threat Thanos showed to Earth
-Coulson tells Hill the location of the Scepter, who passes that information on to the Avengers
-Vision references more people gaining powers (paraphrasing) at the beginning of Civil War, which is a sneaky reference to the Inhuman explosion in AoS just before this

And then easter eggs:
-There's apparently a missing book in one of the sanctums in Dr. Strange, which was taken during AoS (I'm not 100% sure on this one, but I did hear it)
-Fury uses a device invented by Fitz to escape his car in Winter Soldier
-Lady Sif, Nick Fury, and Mariah Hill appear in AoS
-Daisy Johnson and Matt Murdock grew up in the same orphanage
-Speaking of, the Metro General Hospital that Claire works at in the Netflix MCU appears in Dr. Strange (and this is a fictional hospital)
-The Watchdogs episode of AoS references season 2 of Daredevil with news reports about "shootings and gang violence in Hell's Kitchen"
-Jack Murdock fought Carl Creel in the ring before all of this took place
-The Dogs of Hell appear in both the Netflix shows and AoS
-Judas Bullets appear in Luke Cage and AoS
-Micro, the hacker from season 1 of Punisher, is mentioned by Daisy two years before Punisher debuted

Honestly, most of it IS easter eggs for a lot of reasons, most of them office politics between Marvel Studios and Marvel TV. Most of the directors/producers/actors/fans seem very open to the idea of crossovers.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2974 on: May 01, 2019, 04:27:44 PM »
Notice any certain pattern there?  Namely:  The tv shows acknowledge events in the films, but the films pretty much ALWAYS ignore the tv shows (you reference three possible examples of the films being influenced by the tv shows, but those are completely speculative).