Author Topic: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe v2 (SPOILERS)  (Read 252432 times)

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Avengers: Endgame -- PUT ALL SPOILERS HERE ONLY
« Reply #2870 on: April 28, 2019, 01:22:41 PM »
Interesting video explainig the time travel thing:

https://twitter.com/thisisinsider/status/1122485621048504320

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
So Endgame has made (as of this post to my knowledge) 1.2 billion dollars worldwide and 350 million domestically. That is just insane.

So I'm pretty excited to see what the plans for Phase 4 are since I believe Kevin said Far From Home will close out Phase 3.

All we know so far is Black Widow movie, Eternals, Guardians 3.......I think they announced Shang Chi?

I don't think any other movies have been confirmed. I am ignoring rumors for the moment. Any idea when they will announced phase 4? I assume it'll be close to Fall of this year.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online faizoff

Wasn't Black Panther 2 also semi confirmed/not a rumor? Because I thought Black Widow movie was in the same category. In any case I haven't heard much at all regarding phase 4 other than GOTG 3.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
I wonder if in Phase 4, at some point they start introducing X-men into things

Online Adami

I wonder if in Phase 4, at some point they start introducing X-men into things

They said not for 5 years at least.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
Phase 4 movies:

Black Widow (Dir: Cate Shortland, Wr: Jac Schaeffer (Captain Marvel, WandaVision)/Ned Benson (rewrites), production starts in June, rumored to be a prequel set in the 90s and 00s and features Y2K)
The Eternals (Dir: Chloe Zhao , Wr: Matthew K. Firpo, Ryan Firpo, stars Angelina Jolie as Sersi)
Doctor Strange 2 (same writer and director as 1, will feature Nightmare)
Black Panther 2 (Ryan Coogler writing and directing again)
Shang-Chi (Dir: Destin Daniel Cretton, Wr: David Callaham (worked on Ant-Man))
GotG vol. 3 (James Gunn returning, pre-production starts after he finishes Suicide Squad)

Spin-offs:
WandaVison (Jac Schaeffer as showrunner, starts production in Fall 2019, 6hrs)
Falcon & Winter Soldier (Michael Spellman as showrunner, will premiere within first year of Disney+)
Loki (Michael Waldron as showrunner, will premiere within second year of Disney+)
Hawkeye (will center around Kate Bishop, little to no confirmed info)
What If? (animated series, first episode centers around what if Peggy Carter got the super serum. Chris Evans and Haley Atwell will return for the first episode at least)
New Warriors (very unclear information outside of cast, in limbo currently)
Damage Control (Ben Carlin as showrunner, centers around the MCU "post-superhero battle clean-up"company of the same name, also in limbo)

Online Adami

I'm pretty sure both New Warriors and Damage Control are dead.

As far as the movies go, I can't find how many (if any) were officially announced by Marvel, as opposed to other people in the industry. While they're all pretty obvious, I'm pretty excited to see what Marvel officially announces, hopefully in the next 5-6 months.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2877 on: April 28, 2019, 06:35:24 PM »
Ok, that was GUT-WRENCHING. Cried twice. Pissed the Hulk didn’t get in any payback licks on Thanos. No time to go into more detail right now. One question though, what happened to Gamora?

Online Adami

« Reply #2878 on: April 28, 2019, 06:35:52 PM »
Ok, that was GUT-WRENCHING. Cried twice. Pissed the Hulk didn’t get in any payback licks on Thanos. No time to go into more detail right now. One question though, what happened to Gamora?

Why happened to Gamora?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2879 on: April 28, 2019, 06:40:31 PM »
 :lol Actually another guestion, fat Thor stole 2014’s Thor hammer. Ramifications?

Online Adami

« Reply #2880 on: April 28, 2019, 06:41:25 PM »
:lol Actually another guestion, fat Thor stole 2014’s Thor hammer. Ramifications?

Cap took it when he went back in time to put everything back.

And again, all ramifications would be in other timelines.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gzarruk

I’m pretty sure they’ll also make a Young Avengers movie at some point.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2882 on: April 28, 2019, 09:20:38 PM »
It’s really sad that (just one example) Downey’s fantastic work these past 11 years is mostly looked down upon or ignored by the majority of the Academy’s members. Tons of great acting in the MCU and people view it as low-brow trash.

Loved the movie of course, but a couple things just felt rushed and inevitably so because of the immense amount of character threads they were trying to tie up. Also: in IW Thor easily gives Thanos a critical injury WHILE Thanos had all 6 stones, yet in Endgame Thor armed with Stormbreaker and Mjilnor plus help couldn’t touch Thanos while he had zero stones. Granted, Thor was fat and out of fighting practice but still . . .

For the soul stone, I thought someone had to literally sacrifice someone else, not leap to their death? Just stream of consciousness as I reflect on what I just saw. Definitely many of the coolest moments in MCU history were in this movie, many with Cap who I’m REALLY gonna miss, loved that character and Evans was fantastic.

Feel a little bad for Sebastian Stan, the guy had almost no lines for the entire 2 movies (actually same with Mackie) but at least those guys have more movies ahead of them.

So Cap had one hell of a final mission: get the aether back into Jane Foster, hand the soul stone back to his old enemy Red Skull, etc  :lol

I’ll see it at least one more time in the theater, but man this marks an end of an era for me  :sadpanda:

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2883 on: April 28, 2019, 10:09:27 PM »
But didn't Mackie say he was done with the MCU?

Didn't they announce a Disney+ series for Falcon (Cap Falcon?) and Bucky? I remember reading that somewhere, but am too tired/lazy to google it atm.

One question though, what happened to Gamora?

Most likely she was dusted with Thanos and the rest of his army. Tony didn't know she had turned good and probably just thought of dusting everyone who traveled through time with Thanos.

Speaking of that moment.....with the changing of the Guard of Captain America to 'the Falcon'....or Sam Wilson....wasn't the whole premise behind Captain America that he had super human qualities...strength...etc etc. Does Falcon have that? Seems like to me he's more or less ordinary?

If I understand what they're going for, then I guess Captain America is merely a title, but... you're right. Sam has no superpowers, he just has military grade weaponry. He's like War Machine but more agile. Then again if The Captain America thought he was worthy to hold the shield, well, there ya go. But I agree.

It's an idea taken from the comic books:

Yes, but that's from the most recent comics, aka the all new, all politically correct, all inclusive and all diverse Marvel comics (not saying that's necesarilly a bad thing, btw). Bucky took the mantle of Cap America waaay before Sam in the comics, and it would've been a perfect redemption arc for the character.

Something I was talking today with my girlfriend and a friend of ours is how Endgame feels like the end for the MCU in a lot of ways and how the upcoming movies and characters don't excite us as much as they did before. Maybe we're just used to the previous "normal" and Endgame shattered all that, and with time we'll get used to the new MCU, but we feel like some of the character decisions and directions they took with many things weren't necesarilly the best ones. Time will tell.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2884 on: April 29, 2019, 05:01:24 AM »
For the soul stone, I thought someone had to literally sacrifice someone else, not leap to their death?

jingle.kids and I were wondering about this.  In the end though, Hawkeye did let Nat go.  Although, for 1/2 a second, I was thinking Clint would open his hand, and nothing be there.  That would've sucked.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2885 on: April 29, 2019, 06:59:22 AM »
So when they send Cap back to put the stones back, er... how does that work? Does he just inject the aether back into Jane? How does one 'give back' the soul stone? How do you put the space stone back in the tesseract?

And I can't remember if I read it here or elsewhere, but... Thanos did the snap in Africa in the middle of the day, so why then did we see Hawkeye and Ant-Man's dusting scenes happen in broad daylight in the USA? worst movie ever 0/10 so many glaring issues
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2886 on: April 29, 2019, 07:05:22 AM »
Sorry if it has been posted, but has anyone played around with the Google.com Easter egg?

If you google search "Thanos", a small infinity gauntlet will appear on the right side of the screen. If you click on it, half of your google search will disappear, and if you click on it again, they all come back XD

Thought that was a cool.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2887 on: April 29, 2019, 07:19:46 AM »
OK, I have watched the movie twice now, and I am thinking that the battle with Thanos and all the ASSEMBLED team feels short, I know the movie it's already long by the time the batytle happens, but I would like to see more of it and less explanation of how the things evolved to get the stones.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2888 on: April 29, 2019, 07:57:37 AM »
Went and saw it yesterday with the wife and son.  I thought it was good.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Excerpt from a Fox News article on Endgame's unbelievable success:

Disney now holds all but one of the top 12 box-office openings of all time. (Universal's "Jurassic World" is the lone exception.) The studio is poised for a record-breaking year, with releases including "Aladdin," ''Toy Story 4," ''The Lion King," ''Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker" and "Frozen 2" on the horizon.

Following its acquisition of 20th Century Fox, Disney is expected to account for at least 40% of domestic box-office revenue in 2019, a new record of market share. The company's "Captain Marvel" — positioned as a kind of Marvel lead-in to "Endgame" — also rose to No. 2 on the weekend, eight weeks after it opened.

That's rather concerning when they put it into perspective like that. 11 out of 12 top box-office openings of all time are now all Disney. They'll be making billions off their 2019 releases alone. At least 40% of this year's domestic box office revenue. Jesus.

I don't really have a problem with Disney releasing blockbuster films but it's pretty startling to see just how much of the market they're dominating now.

Now take a look at this. Less than a week after release, look at the records Endgame has set, and just how far ahead it is compared to the films it overthrew. "Highest opening weekend gross   $1.209 billion[2]   Avengers: Infinity War – $640 million[2]" Insane!!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 09:34:55 AM by Kattelox »
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #2890 on: April 29, 2019, 09:41:43 AM »
For the soul stone, I thought someone had to literally sacrifice someone else, not leap to their death?

jingle.kids and I were wondering about this.  In the end though, Hawkeye did let Nat go.  Although, for 1/2 a second, I was thinking Clint would open his hand, and nothing be there.  That would've sucked.

The Red Skull said a sacrifice is needed but not that one has to kill deliberately the sacrifice to get the stone. His exact words "In order to take the stone, you must lose that which you love. A soul for a soul."

So when they send Cap back to put the stones back, er... how does that work? Does he just inject the aether back into Jane? How does one 'give back' the soul stone? How do you put the space stone back in the tesseract?

They don't need to literally make sure that the point where they got the stones is recreated as if nothing happened. The purpose of returning the stones in that timeline is to make sure that the stomes are complete in that timeline so that time would flow.

And I can't remember if I read it here or elsewhere, but... Thanos did the snap in Africa in the middle of the day, so why then did we see Hawkeye and Ant-Man's dusting scenes happen in broad daylight in the USA? worst movie ever 0/10 so many glaring issues

Dudr, the time difference between Wakamda and US East Coast is just 7 hours. If Thanos snaps at 3 PM, it's 8 AM IN New York. Don't tell me the sun is not up at that time.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
So I spent the last few weeks trying to catch up on MCU movies (and some non MCU movies). Finally saw Homecoming (which was so much better than I expected) and watched half of Antman and Wasp (fell asleep.. oh well). I also finally saw Deadpool 2 and Last Jedi but this isn't the thread for that.

Now all I am missing is Captain Marvel. I have tickets to see Endgame tonight for my birthday. Had tickets to see Marvel last night... but something came up and wasn't able to go. So we tried to get tickets for a really late showing last night, but that same thing prevented us from going. I've heard that seeing Captain Marvel before Endgame isn't 100% necessary. Is this true? 
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online Adami

Excerpt from a Fox News article on Endgame's unbelievable success:

Disney now holds all but one of the top 12 box-office openings of all time. (Universal's "Jurassic World" is the lone exception.) The studio is poised for a record-breaking year, with releases including "Aladdin," ''Toy Story 4," ''The Lion King," ''Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker" and "Frozen 2" on the horizon.

Following its acquisition of 20th Century Fox, Disney is expected to account for at least 40% of domestic box-office revenue in 2019, a new record of market share. The company's "Captain Marvel" — positioned as a kind of Marvel lead-in to "Endgame" — also rose to No. 2 on the weekend, eight weeks after it opened.

That's rather concerning when they put it into perspective like that. 11 out of 12 top box-office openings of all time are now all Disney. They'll be making billions off their 2019 releases alone. At least 40% of this year's domestic box office revenue. Jesus.

I don't really have a problem with Disney releasing blockbuster films but it's pretty startling to see just how much of the market they're dominating now.

Now take a look at this. Less than a week after release, look at the records Endgame has set, and just how far ahead it is compared to the films it overthrew. "Highest opening weekend gross   $1.209 billion[2]   Avengers: Infinity War – $640 million[2]" Insane!!

Well, yes and no. Fox owned some of those top spots that Disney acquired. So while they own them (like Avatar), they aren't making money off of them right now. They will for the sequels though. And even though Fox international did Titanic, I believe it was Paramount who did it domestic. So that's a bit iffy.

Also I don't know who owns the rights to Gone with the Wind, but I doubt any movie will top that one.

But yea, even not counting that stuff, Disney put out most of the top 10. Also the Russos (I believe) are the first directors to have 3 movies hit a billion.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2893 on: April 29, 2019, 09:53:01 AM »

Dudr, the time difference between Wakamda and US East Coast is just 7 hours. If Thanos snaps at 3 PM, it's 8 AM IN New York. Don't tell me the sun is not up at that time.

I would also assume the effects of the snap happened at different times around the planet/universe. In the end credits we see what happened to Fury and it was daylight. Same with Antman.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2894 on: April 29, 2019, 10:06:24 AM »

They don't need to literally make sure that the point where they got the stones is recreated as if nothing happened. The purpose of returning the stones in that timeline is to make sure that the stomes are complete in that timeline so that time would flow.

But that's my point. WHERE is he returning them to, and again, what do you do with the Soul Stone? I understand the purpose of returning them but like... how?

Hawkeye's family went out for a picnic at 8 AM and they're having their hot dog lunch at 8 AM? Ant-Man, Pym, and Hope are standing on a roof at high noon, that sure doesn't look like 8 AM to me.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
So I spent the last few weeks trying to catch up on MCU movies (and some non MCU movies). Finally saw Homecoming (which was so much better than I expected) and watched half of Antman and Wasp (fell asleep.. oh well). I also finally saw Deadpool 2 and Last Jedi but this isn't the thread for that.

Now all I am missing is Captain Marvel. I have tickets to see Endgame tonight for my birthday. Had tickets to see Marvel last night... but something came up and wasn't able to go. So we tried to get tickets for a really late showing last night, but that same thing prevented us from going. I've heard that seeing Captain Marvel before Endgame isn't 100% necessary. Is this true?

Totally true.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #2896 on: April 29, 2019, 10:42:47 AM »
Yes, but that's from the most recent comics, aka the all new, all politically correct, all inclusive and all diverse Marvel comics (not saying that's necesarilly a bad thing, btw). Bucky took the mantle of Cap America waaay before Sam in the comics, and it would've been a perfect redemption arc for the character.

Bucky does not deserve to carry that shield, if only to honor Howard Stark's memory. Yes, he was not in control of himself, but he still killed the one who made the shield. Also in the comic books, Bucky became Captain America when Steve "died." Sam Wilson, on the other hand, was picked by Steve to be his replacement when he was aged into an old man (sounds familiar?).

Oh, and the turn to black heroes is not a recent thing. Have you read The Crew, aka the non-white Avengers? That was way back 2003, very very good short-lived comic that featured Josiah X, the son of the original Captain America.

Hawkeye's family went out for a picnic at 8 AM and they're having their hot dog lunch at 8 AM? Ant-Man, Pym, and Hope are standing on a roof at high noon, that sure doesn't look like 8 AM to me.

So let's move the snap to 5PM, Clint's family disappear at 10AM, while the Pyms disappear at 8AM. Do movies really have to shoot at the exact time of day that they need to? That amount of realism? The point is, they could all happen with daylight in all places.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 10:53:29 AM by erwinrafael »

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #2897 on: April 29, 2019, 11:15:50 AM »

But that's my point. WHERE is he returning them to, and again, what do you do with the Soul Stone? I understand the purpose of returning them but like... how?

iirc IW takes place during spring/summer. If it's 11AM/12PM at Barton Ranch, it could be 6PM/7PM at Wakanda. Both could be easily be during the day during the summer. Here in Florida, I've seen sunsets as late as 8PM, so it's not totally implausible.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2898 on: April 29, 2019, 11:17:32 AM »
Sunsets, yes. I see no indication in IW of the sun setting anytime soon. Of course, I've never been to Africa either :)

Just a minor thought, I think it's just oversight, I don't really buy the time change thing, it just doesn't line up imo. But, like, that's the level my complaints are: nitpicks, nothing more, no actual impact on the enjoyment of the film. Just a "huh" moment.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Agreed.  You'll be fine.  There's a bit of a cool payoff visually for one particular scene, but you'll kind of still get that, only in reverse by seeing them in reverse order.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission

Yes. You can safely skip The Incredible Hulk, Black Panther, and Captain Marvel before seeing this movie. BP is more important for IW (and even then), and Captain Marvel only serves to add more context to a single scene in Endgame and introduce the character and her powers. I still recommend you watch them tho because they're great. I still haven't seen Hulk. It's not that important in the broader MCU.

Necessary films prior to Endgame:
Iron Man 1*, 2, 3
Captain America 1*, 2*, 3*
Thor 1*, 2*, 3*
Avengers 1*, 2*, 3*
Ant-Man 1*, 2*
Guardians of the Galaxy 1*, 2
Doctor Strange*
Spider-man Homecoming

*Absolutely necessary, but this movie DOES assume that you've seen everything but Hulk so I do recommend having seen all of them.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2901 on: April 29, 2019, 01:20:05 PM »
Saw this Saturday night.  Fantastic movie.  The whole family loved it.  I hate making claims like this so soon after seeing it, but I feel like it is probably the best in the franchise. 

The initial killing of Thanos was so unexpected and came so early in the film.  I'm glad it wasn't even hinted at in any of the trailers.

Thor was fantastic.  My daughter could not stop laughing when they were showing him walking with the other Avengers in their quantum suits to go begin the time heist.

As soon as they came up with the plan and said what they were going to so, I knew somebody was going to die on Vormir.  When I saw that it was Widow and Ronin that went there, I knew one of them wasn't coming back.  During the entire Vormir sequence, I wasn't sure which one.  But as soon as she died, I realized that it HAD TO be her.  They wouldn't have set Barton up in the very beginning of the film if he wasn't going to live and return to his family.  But still, I was on the edge of my seat trying to figure out which one of them would live and which would die. 

Speaking of Barton, I loved the creepy Aliens callback in the tunnel with the outriders.

Thanos was ruthless, and I loved it.

Cap in the final battle was amazing.  I don't know how this could have been done any better. 

I just had so much fun.  I really want to see it in the theater again, if possible.  Not sure time will allow it, but we'll see.  I was surprised at how quiet my theater was for most of the film.  There were lots of little nods to other films where I would smile and softly laugh.  I expected cheers at those moments, but not a peep.

Also, I found this regarding the supposed "plot hole" of Cap going back to live out his days with Peggy:  https://www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2019/04/29/the-avengers-endgame-plot-hole-is-not-really-a-plot-hole-at-all-spoilers/#22a7940919e3
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 01:34:53 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2902 on: April 29, 2019, 01:31:05 PM »
Bosk, I think you shared the wrong link.

But it was similar for me, people were very quiet at my showing (despite me getting smacked in the head by a 5 year old behind me). The only loud part was Cap picking up Mjolnir.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2903 on: April 29, 2019, 01:35:45 PM »
Considering Deloitte is my customer, I was very interested and curious to see how their Workforce of the Future Study addressed Cap living out his days with Peggy.   :rollin
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2904 on: April 29, 2019, 01:42:39 PM »
Like most of you, I thought it was great! I want to see it again, but won't be able to until next weekend at the earliest. A large part of what made it great was the 8-10 times the audience burst out cheering. Not sure if it will be the same without everyone there seeing it for the first time together.