Author Topic: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe v2 (SPOILERS)  (Read 251114 times)

Offline masterthes

Re: Avengers: Endgame -- PUT ALL SPOILERS HERE ONLY
« Reply #2800 on: April 27, 2019, 07:17:16 AM »
Can somebody spoil the post credit scene (if there was one?)

This movie was awesome! Just incredible

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
5 hours to go and finally enjoy this last run!

Man, I can't fucking wait, I even dreamed last night with the MCU, and I was part of it lol

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #2802 on: April 27, 2019, 07:27:28 AM »
No post-credit scene.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #2803 on: April 27, 2019, 07:29:28 AM »
Watched it a second time, now with my son. Still cried. Especially now that I know what will happen, Scarlet's acting now became more moving. That peanut butter sandwich scene...

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2804 on: April 27, 2019, 08:28:44 AM »
I'm honestly overwhelmed by the movie. So much so that I don't feel confident trying to write down all my thoughts.

I will say that I have am grateful for 2 things. 1) Avoiding all spoilers at all costs. I did NOT see this movie coming. 2) Doing my huge re-watch. It really helped me connect with every little detail of this movie.

Still not 100% sold on how Cap's story ended, but that might change when I re-watch it in 3 weeks in LA.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2805 on: April 27, 2019, 09:48:16 AM »
Saw it with the Family last night. I really liked it. Now, I’m late to the Marvel game so I’ve not seen ‘every’ one of the movies....but I’ve watched enough YouTube recaps and had buddies and family members talk about it....I’ve seen the last few movies so I didn’t feel lost at all.

Seemed like a fitting ‘closure’ to that era of characters and it was REALLY well done. I don’t have many grips at all. My only two nit picks are the ones that have been touched on. Captain Marvel....seemed....pointless?? I know she is this super powerful person and did help defeat Thanos and kicked butt and all that but was really underwhelmed by her inclusion.

I like the idea that she was less of a focal point as this was the conclusion of the story of a lot of the ‘main’ characters.....so, having her play a prevalent role would have taken away from their ‘swan song’. A part of me wishes they’d have just not had her in the movie (or in play) at all yet. But, it really is a nit pick.

The other was the Peter Parker back in school with all his buddies 5 years later....it was a head scratcher. That’s been talked about though.

Loved how they handled Tony Starks death and how meaningful it was
I liked the Captain America reveal of him staying back and enjoying a ‘real’ life.
That final battle was awesome....especially once the portals started opening up...that was cool!!

Ton’s of cool things....will probably take the kiddos again in a week or so.....
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #2806 on: April 27, 2019, 10:17:04 AM »
Isn't Ned the only buddy of Peter who was shown in the movie?

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2807 on: April 27, 2019, 10:18:19 AM »

That’s all they showed.....yeah.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2808 on: April 27, 2019, 10:22:39 AM »
Ok, time for round two, in IMAX :caffeine:

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #2809 on: April 27, 2019, 10:27:52 AM »

That’s all they showed.....yeah.

So maybe they were both dusted. The probability is 50% anyway.

Online Adami

« Reply #2810 on: April 27, 2019, 10:39:33 AM »
Yea, but in the next Spider-Man movie, we see Zendaya and Tony Ravioli and stuff.

Also....does this mean Far From Home takes place in 2023?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2811 on: April 27, 2019, 11:18:52 AM »
Forgot to mention that for me....the best scene of the movie is when Peter Parker shows back up and comes up to Tony....starts telling him about what happened in his ‘Peter Parker’ way....and the look Tony gives him is utterly priceless and makes the movie for me.

Incredible performance by RDJ in that moment.....

Online Adami

« Reply #2812 on: April 27, 2019, 11:21:15 AM »
Forgot to mention that for me....the best scene of the movie is when Peter Parker shows back up and comes up to Tony....starts telling him about what happened in his ‘Peter Parker’ way....and the look Tony gives him is utterly priceless and makes the movie for me.

Every performance is amazing. I'm actually super impressed by just about every actor's performance. There were no weak links, no lazy acting, no phoning it in or anything.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2813 on: April 27, 2019, 11:24:09 AM »

Every performance is amazing. I'm actually super impressed by just about every actor's performance. There were no weak links, no lazy acting, no phoning it in or anything.

Agreed. It was really impressive.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #2814 on: April 27, 2019, 11:32:06 AM »
Scarlett and Jeremy's acting were especially amazing for me. I read a review somewhere that Jeremy Renner looked bored. WTF?

I love how Tony Stark did not have some corny farewell words while he was dying. He barely got a word in, and he did not have this "happy" look that some actors do when they die a heroic death.

Online Adami

« Reply #2815 on: April 27, 2019, 11:35:11 AM »
Scarlett and Jeremy's acting were especially amazing for me. I read a review somewhere that Jeremy Renner looked bored. WTF?

I love how Tony Stark did not have some corny farewell words while he was dying. He barely got a word in, and he did not have this "happy" look that some actors do when they die a heroic death.

No his death was perfect. It's not about HIM, necessarily. It's about the impact he's had on everyone else. He finally did what he wanted to do. He protected those he loved most. Now he can rest. He didn't need any last words. His actual last words "I am Iron Man" were perfect.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2816 on: April 27, 2019, 11:38:06 AM »
I loved how ruthless and menacing Thanos was in this. He was tough in Infinity War but man he really went all out, like when he was beating down Cap and breaking his shield. And even his lines were intimidating. "What I'm about to do to your annoying planet... I'm going to enjoy very, very much." Did anyone else think he looked better, visually? Like they cranked up the special effects on him, he looked fantastic.

I of course have a crush on Brie Larson and loved everything about her in this including her fresh haircut. LOVED that she came back to wreck the crap out of Thanos's ship.

No Thanoscopter though so 2/10 wouldn't watch again
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Adami

« Reply #2817 on: April 27, 2019, 11:43:06 AM »
Yea, the different Thanos was great. At the end of Infinity War, during his huge battles, he had already lost everything. His kids, his daughter, etc. He was a man at the very end of his journey. This Thanos hadn't lost anything. He was mid crusade and just found out he dies. He was a very different Thanos and coming at it from a very different mentality. So I thought it really made a lot of sense and was handled well.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

26 minutes to go.  :metal

:corn

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #2819 on: April 27, 2019, 12:51:18 PM »
I just saw it a third time. The last hour is soooooo good. It's filled with so many great moments!
I think the only thing I kind of have a problem with is Professor Hulk. It's not that he was a bad character, but I really missed some great Hulk-action in this. I would have loved for him to get really pissed about Natasha having to sacrifice herself and give Thanos a good beating. I guess that moment was given to Scarlet Witch, something that was awesome, but still..
I went with my best friend this time. He isn't a big Marvel-fan, but have seen most of the movies (I've kind of forced him to  ;D ). To see him tear up was so rewarding for me. It shows that this is not just a great movie for us fans, but a great movie in general.
Man..I love this movie so much!  :heart

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2820 on: April 27, 2019, 12:59:25 PM »
Yeah I also missed a little bit of Hulk being badass. I don't feel like this story really needed Captain Marvel though. Not that I dislike that movie or her, but she did come off a bit as a deus ex machina and I think for the final battle instead of her appearing out of nowhere to destroy Thanos ship, they could have had a scene when Banner was forced to give in to the Hulk 100% and he could have had a great Hulk berserker rage scene of smashing and crashing the ship.

This is really more of a minor nitpick than anything else though, I really liked Endgame.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #2821 on: April 27, 2019, 02:13:49 PM »
Complete thoughts are coming later, since I have to sleep in order to grasp at what I saw!

I did not expect Black Widow to be the one to make the heroic sacrifice. I also did not expect to see Thor fall that far after his duel with Thanos, but it made sense.

The end with everyone "walking to the stage" to fight Thanos was sheer nirvana! Tony's death scene was perfect!

Going to have to gather my thoughts but I really liked it! :tup

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2822 on: April 27, 2019, 02:33:24 PM »
Just got back from my second time...and it was even better. Emotional impact was doubled for sure, partly to knowing what was happening, and partly to it being a much more involved audience this time, this crowd was on it compared to the Thursday one, probably from being IMAX today. During Nat's death it was eerily silent, and during Tony's no one was even bothering to try and hide it, there was borderline openly weeping. Much more massive cheer for the girl power moment, which I loved.

Two side notes- firstly, as it seems to me, Mantis is pretty much useless in battle, right? I mean she can put a dude or two to sleep, but with zero defensive skills she'd last about 5 seconds in such a melee before getting whacked.

Secondly, after tomorrow night, no matter what Starks bite the dust on Game of Thrones, I probably won't even be able to mention the name Stark on monday without getting at least a heavy sigh from someone.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
I officially can't go on youtube anymore until I see this movie. Hell, while looking for showtimes on google I think something might have been spoiled. I'm hoping to see this tomorrow morning.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Too much epicness!!!

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #2825 on: April 27, 2019, 03:54:57 PM »
Just got back from seeing it. My thoughts, first character by character:

Captain America:
-The Cap vs Cap fight was insane. Like...I didn't know how much I needed that.
-CAP WIELDING MJOLNIR AND STORMBREAKER YASSSS THAT WAS THE BEST SCENE IN ANY MARVEL MOVIE
-"Avengers...Assemble". I knew it was coming. I still got chills.
-Cap soloing Thanos for a while, beating the ever loving crap out of him with Mijolnir and his shield, and still getting his butt whooped. There was definitely a moment where I thought "Oh no. This is it. This is where Cap dies. Not like this" Kudos to the Russo Brothers and Markus and McFeely for even allowing that expectation to exist.
-The freaking combo moves he did with Mjolnir and the shield were INCREDIBLE. And him summoning lightning??? WHAT
-The frequent callbacks to and cameos by Peggy Carter. First in the watch moments, then in that bit in the 70s, and finally in them finally shacking up in the end. I'm really happy that's how Cap's character arc ended. Honestly, it was either that or him dying and I would have been satisfied with either one.
-Passing on the shield to Falcon Sam was really touching. Was half-expecting Cap to have been Stan Lee there. A little disappointed it wasn't, but then again I think it might have been a bit much.
-The dance with Peggy at the end. Yes. So many happy tears.
-The musical callback to the First Avenger was so nice.
-"That's America's ass." Amazing.
-The Hail Hydra bit somehow being one of the best parts? It's amazing that they managed to redeem one of the most controversial comic moments.
-Cap's potty mouth was a really great way of showing his character development.

Iron Man:
-Like with Cap, this was one of the only ways his arc could have ended. There's a lot of bait and switching with our expectations on whether him or Cap was going to die, and that made his final death all the sadder.
-"I love you three thousand" at the end is what broke me. I was quietly sobbing. Even thinking about that now is making me teary eyed.
-The kid from Iron Man 3 being at the funeral was a really nice touch.
-"I am inevitable" "I am Iron Man" is up there with Cap wielding Mjolnir as one of the most awesome moments in the MCU, if not movie history.
-Speaking of which, THE THIRD SNAP. I did NOT see that coming and it was incredible.
-The fact that, for 5 years at least, Tony actually got to have his dream of settling down with a family.
-Every interaction he had with his daughter was either hilarious or sweet or a total tear jearker or all three.
-A mention of cheeseburgers somehow being one of the biggest tear jearkers in the entire franchise.
-The lightning powered laser blasts. That was SO cool.
-Nebula and Tony playing the game on the ship was hilarious.
-Also "Build a Bear". I'm really going to miss his quips.
-The comments about Cap's butt is going to write a thousand fanfictions.
-His gigantic explosion at Cap at the beginning was masterful acting.
-Also basically beginning and ending the movie with a hologram voice over of him was a nice touch.
-I don't think enough people are talking about how AWESOME it is that he a) not only invented time travel, b) fixing an alien ship he's never even seen before, and c) made a freaking INFINITY GAUNTLET. I know a lot of people complained about Shuri overshadowing Barton in the last movie, but I think this firmly established Stark as the smartest character in the MCU.

Black Widow & Hawkeye/Ronin:
-Her death was such a poignant sendoff for the character and imo the only way you could have wrapped up her character arc. It made perfect sense.
-Her being the de facto head of the Avengers during the time-skip was one of my favorite parts.
-The back and forth of who's going to sacrifice themselves at Vormir made her death all the sadder, and in a way it was darkly hilarious. Like...the whole scenario is COMPLETELY ridiculous, and yet it totally works because it manages to build so much tension in such a short period of time. That was fantastic directing.
-ScarJo was one of the MVPs of the movie acting wise, no question. She became one of my favorite characters after this movie.
-I'm also 10x more excited for the BW movie after this. Like...I want to see MORE of this character now that she's dead.
-imo this movie retroactively improved that weird Banner/Romanov relationship from AoU. It didn't really go anywhere, but honestly I think it's more impactful that it didn't. It showed that these were two completely romantically incompatible characters that would have been a hot mess together, but their mutual love was an integral part of both of their character developments and it made her death a lot more tragic. Honestly, I really liked how it was handled. It a messy, illogical, mutual attraction that never really went anywhere. That's something that happens a fair bit in real life (as listening to a lot of pop songs will tell you) and I'm happy it wasn't a "they lived happily ever after hiding the zucchini" relationship.
-Also, she got the funniest line in the movie imo. I was surprised the whole theater wasn't rolling at the "I learned quantum physics to make small talk for a mission" bit.
-The movie starting on the death of the Barton family was chill inducing. It also comes out of nowhere. There's no set-up, no pre-credits, nothing. Just the trailers end and we're on the Barton ranch. It really captured the atmosphere and horror of the snap perfectly.
-Barton's absolute terror when his family disappeared was some of the best acting in any movie period. Incredible.
-This movie proving that Romanov and Barton ARE actually useful parts of the Avengers and not having them be completely overshadowed by the dudes with powers. This movie did a great job of showing just WHY Fury had them as part of the Avengers.
-Ronin absolutely slaughtering the yakuza was not something I expected to see on the big screen. That's the level of brutality I would expect from one of the Netflix shows.
-Also, the tunnel scene with those creatures. SOOO cool.
-It's a subtle one, but I loved how confused he looks in most of this movie. He's totally out of his element, but he's just going with it because he's got a job to do. Especially in the scene with the two Nebulas in the tunnels. That was perfect.
-The "death seeker" element of his character coming into play. No matter how, he just wants to be reunited with his family. Whether that be through death or bringing them back.
-"Don't give me hope. Please." DANG
-Who would win in a hallway fight, Ronin or Dardevil?

Hulk/Banner & Thor:
-Surprisingly, Banner was the humor MVP of this movie. Almost everything out of his mouth was hilarious.
-Just the sheer amount of character development he went through off screen. It's played for laughs, but honestly it was the best way to reconcile both Hulk and Banner's character trajectories and their personalities.
-WIELDING AN INFINITY GAUNTLET. HOW WHAT
-Again, how real this made the Natasha/Bruce romance seem. Especially him throwing the bench into the lake in frustration. Such a powerful scene.
-Hulk being mad about the stairs was hilarious.
-The callback to Spider-man with Hulk lifting up the rubble was awesome
-Thor becoming a miserable alcoholic in between the movies was one of the best ways they could have handled the character honestly.
-Because of that, him summoning Mijolnir for the first time in the movie and saying "I'm still worthy" was very poignant.
-Also, him dual wielding Mijolnir and Stormbreaker was FANTASTIC.
-Korg and Meek playing Fortnite. Like...what? That was definitely the stupidest thing in this movie and I loved it.
-I like how his entire character arc in the movie was just him wanting to feel USEFUL after screwing up so royally in IW. Nothing about his character felt unbelievable in the end.
-The callback to the AoU hammer lifting scene was so nice. "I KNEW IT" indeed
-THOR JOINING THE GUARDIANS IS EXACTLY WHAT I WANTED I'M SO HAPPY

Ant-Man:
-The scene where he first comes back from the Quantum Realm is soooo good. Like, his panic and looking for Cassie's name felt so real to me.
-Him meeting up with Cassie (now 5 years older) was the first moment I cried at during this movie.
-Paul Rudd is up there with ScarJo as one of the MVP actors of this movie. His disorientation during the part right after he escapes the Quantum Realm is so believable and not something I would have expected.
-Him going giant and PUNCHING A LEVIATHAN was sooo cool
-Also it's Paul Rudd so you know he has some of the funniest parts of this movie

Thanos:
-If there was any doubt about how threatening of a villain Thanos is after IW, there shouldn't be in this movie. He's almost completely unaffected by going toe to toe with the Big 3.
-Now, I may be crazy here, but there are moments where Thanos is wielding Stormbreaker and Mijolnir in the big battle. Does that mean he's one of the 4 characters deemed worthy?
-Thanos's complete moral breakdown was great. It honestly made him that much scarier. In IW he wanted to wipe out half the universe so they never face his over population problem, but after seeing that the survivors can't move on and flourish (this is also boosted in a blink and you'll miss it moments in GotG too, where it lists Gamora as the last survivor of her species, implying that the rest of the planet died off after his "salvation" and he never bothered to check) he just decides to wipe out the Earth and then remake the universe in his image. Dang.
-The scene at the very beginning where the past!Avengers fail for the second time. For a while, Thanos truly won.
-How absolutely calm he is during his death was great. It's also a nice mirror to the end of IW.
-I'm glad that they basically established him and Cap Marvel as equals in terms of power. It's really nice that they didn't just turn her into a Deus Ex Machina.
-Thanos realizing that the van was their ticket to removing the Infinity Stones from his reach and just chucking his sword into the quantum realm portal. Incredible, small detail.

Misc:
-The fact that this movie made about a dozen MCU movies retroactively better. THAT'S good story telling.
-JARVIS FROM AGENT CARTER APPEARING IN THE MOVIE. WE FINALLY GOT A TV SHOW/MOVIE CROSSOVER
-The girl power thing at the end was really silly, but I still loved it.
-Wanda wiping the floor with Thanos was sooo cathartic. I think she could have solo'd him right then and there if he didn't start firing on the battlefield with his ship.
-I'm in the minority here, but I actually really liked how Captain Marvel was used in this movie. She's not really a deus ex machina (there's no implication that she could've soloed Thanos and his forces, as she ultimately LOSES her one-on-one battle with Thanos once he's able to use even ONE of the Infinity Stones, and she also doesn't act as the end-all plot device when she's introduced at the beginning), she's not overbearing in this movie (her on-screen time is only 15min), and it sets up her character arc as being similar to Thor 10 years ago: she's one of the most powerful being in the universe, but she's incredibly cocky about it. I think the next Phases of the MCU are going to show her getting humbled in the same way that Thor did. I'm kinda excited about what they're going to do with her character arc going forward!
-Honestly, as much as this is a culmination and finale of everything so far, I like how it gives just enough to be excited going forward. It's boosted my interests in the upcoming Spidey, Black Widow, and GotG movies and the Disney+ shows.
-EVERY character gets a chance to shine and an awesome moment during the final battle. Except Mantis.
-The OG6 get the exact send-off they deserved. I wouldn't have changed a thing.
-War Machine and Falcon got a big boost from this movie and IW. I always felt they were very underutilized, but this movie and IW gave them both a lot of awesome and funny moments.
-THEY FINALLY REUSED THEMES FROM THE PREVIOUS MOVIES I AM SO HAPPY
-The score for this and IW are hands down the best in the MCU.

There's...there's just so much good stuff in this movie. It's almost impossible to list it all. I don't think there's than anything I actively disliked about this. Fantastic, 10/10.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 04:47:11 PM by Ninjabait »

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2826 on: April 27, 2019, 05:59:48 PM »
The daughter of Ant-man was like 5 years on Ant-man &Wasp movie right? and agfter 5 years she looks like 12 or 13 years old, that bothered me a bit.

Apart from that I think the movie is just perfect.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2827 on: April 27, 2019, 06:01:39 PM »

subirfoto

What type of movie did I came to watch? Lol

Online Adami

« Reply #2828 on: April 27, 2019, 06:02:40 PM »
The daughter of Ant-man was like 5 years on Ant-man &Wasp movie right? and agfter 5 years she looks like 12 or 13 years old, that bothered me a bit.

I dunno about the character, but the actress was 10 years old in Ant-Man and the Wasp. Which would make her about 14 or 15 in this.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2829 on: April 27, 2019, 06:11:52 PM »

I dunno about the character, but the actress was 10 years old in Ant-Man and the Wasp. Which would make her about 14 or 15 in this.

10 years?!?!?! What do you americans feed your children with?

Online Adami

« Reply #2830 on: April 27, 2019, 06:13:09 PM »
Also, can anyone fill me in as to who was fighting against Thanos in the final battle? I only mean the people that came and joined the fight with the rest of the avengers.

I saw

1) The mystic arts guys
2) The surviving Asgardians
3) Wakandans
4) All the dusted

But I feel like I saw space ships and a bunch of other stuff. Did I just confuse things or were there a bunch of other groups/armies joining? It was a whole lot to take in.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Adami

« Reply #2831 on: April 27, 2019, 06:14:23 PM »

10 years?!?!?! WHat do you american feed your childs with?

Huh...yea...she looks super young. According to the Wikipedia, she's 11 years old right now. Movie came out in 2018, so she was 10 when it came out. Maybe 9 when it was filmed. But yea, she looks younger than she is it seems.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2832 on: April 27, 2019, 06:37:37 PM »
Also, can anyone fill me in as to who was fighting against Thanos in the final battle? I only mean the people that came and joined the fight with the rest of the avengers.

I saw

1) The mystic arts guys
2) The surviving Asgardians
3) Wakandans
4) All the dusted

But I feel like I saw space ships and a bunch of other stuff. Did I just confuse things or were there a bunch of other groups/armies joining? It was a whole lot to take in.
I was paying attention to that the second time, the spaceships were all wakandan design. The rest of the peeps were what you listed.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 10:04:30 PM by lonestar »

Online Adami

« Reply #2833 on: April 27, 2019, 06:40:38 PM »
Yea, that makes sense. Just wasn't sure if I missed anything.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #2834 on: April 27, 2019, 06:41:37 PM »
There were a couple of Ravagers ships during the final battle as well