Author Topic: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe v2 (SPOILERS)  (Read 251306 times)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Fellas... go to Google, search 'Thanos' and then click the gauntlet.

Ha. That's pretty cool.

2 hours until I head to the theater. Much excite.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Well played Google.  Well played.

They should've had 14,000,605 results.   :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
 :rollin

Just gotta get through the work day, then it's dinner and a movie time. And then I can finally read the spoiler thread  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
That was awesome!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: Avengers: Endgame -- PUT ALL SPOILERS HERE ONLY
« Reply #2769 on: April 26, 2019, 10:30:52 AM »
Endgame had Hawkeye's best portrayal ever so far. I loved his role in this movie.

I agree and before the movie I thought Hawkeye was slightly underrated because he's a character people usually hate on. My sister even said "if anyone has to die in this movie I hope they get rid of Hawkeye". But that first scene with Hawkeye and his family was perfectly done and in about 2 minutes you perfectly got the motivation of him and you felt so sorry for him. A lot of characters were screwed over by the snap and lost people close to them, but he lost his entire family. That's gotta hurt.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2770 on: April 26, 2019, 10:32:50 AM »
I really loved Hawkeye in this one. I really like hard edged characters and losing your whole family would certainly push me to that headspace. I'm surprised he didn't use the bow more, since its always been his thing. but still awesome none the less.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Movie starts in 8 hours! WOOOO

Only two more clients and supervision to get through.

My last client asked if I was a Marvel fan (he had just seen Endgame the night before). I said I was and that he BETTER not spoil a damn thing for me.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #2772 on: April 26, 2019, 11:12:57 AM »

Anyhow, timeline plot-holes not-withstanding, there are a few other plot-holes I'm having trouble reconciling:
- how did Captain Marvel know exactly where to find Tony/Nebula?  Was she flying around the universe for 3 weeks? 

That didn't bug me really. They probably had a distress-signal, she definitely knew that Thanos' homeplanet was Titan, and the snap happened on Earth. Yeah, it's a bit of a stretch, but there are way bigger plot-holes 😛

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I was having fun digging at my kids a little bit last night by saying stuff like, "Hey, I saw on the Internet that there's this one cool scene where Hawkeye and Thanos--" and watching them scream and run from the room.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
I was having fun digging at my kids a little bit last night by saying stuff like, "Hey, I saw on the Internet that there's this one cool scene where Hawkeye and Thanos--" and watching them scream and run from the room.  :lol

You are evil... the sign of a good parent.  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2775 on: April 26, 2019, 11:28:23 AM »

Anyhow, timeline plot-holes not-withstanding, there are a few other plot-holes I'm having trouble reconciling:
- how did Captain Marvel know exactly where to find Tony/Nebula?  Was she flying around the universe for 3 weeks? 

That didn't bug me really. They probably had a distress-signal, she definitely knew that Thanos' homeplanet was Titan, and the snap happened on Earth. Yeah, it's a bit of a stretch, but there are way bigger plot-holes 😛

Fair point.  And I made the assumption that the Cap'n Marvel mid credits scene happened before she went hunting for him.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
:clap:
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline H2

« Reply #2777 on: April 26, 2019, 12:08:54 PM »
Saw it last night. Best sequence: Thanos gets the Stark gauntlet, Strange holds up a "1" to Tony, Tony jumps Thanos, Thanos swats him away, "I...am..inevitable," *clunk*, shot to Tony with the glowing arm..."And I.....am.............Iron Man." Chills.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Parenting: Expert Level.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2779 on: April 26, 2019, 03:43:09 PM »
Just got back. Wow!

Loved it. Mrs. P loved it. We're going to go see it again after I have a catheter and bag installed.

Oh, and the time problem mentioned above for Peter Parker is probably not a big deal. Half his grade wouldn't be any older than him (they just got snapped back too) and would be enrolled in an appropriate level. We just need to believe that MJ, Ned, and Flash were all snapped back too to make the next movie work out.  :biggrin:
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline gzarruk

30 minutes to go. I. CAN’T. WAIT.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline SleeperAwake

« Reply #2781 on: April 26, 2019, 04:00:33 PM »
I saw it on Wednesday. Really enjoyed it. A remarkable wrap-up of the MCU so far. Loved that the characters who didn't get much time in Infinity War really carried Endgame. Really didn't expect them to kill off Thanos around 10 minutes in, but there were some wonderful character moments in the quiet part of the movie after that, before the more fun stuff kicked in. I have mostly positive thoughts about the film and I don't like to complain, but I have an internet connection and some time, so what the fuck?

Also, if there's one thing the internet needs, it's one more person whining about Captain Marvel. I wasn't really that interested in her solo film when it came out but went and saw it anyway because I figured it would be important to how she fits into the Avengers. I actually ended up enjoying the film far more than I thought I would, but her role in Endgame is basically that of a deus ex machina cameo. Twice. When she returned at the end I went "oh right, forgot about her... she was supposed to be in this movie too". I realize the Russos didn't have unlimited 'story real estate' with regards to plot and characters, but if she's to become an important presence in the MCU in the future it would have been nice to see some more of her and her interactions with the other characters. Why go to all the trouble of introducing her and squeezing in her origin story in between Infinity War and Endgame if this is all you do with her?

To finish on something positive: the teased-since-Ultron matter of Cap picking up Mjolnir - that was a great moment.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2782 on: April 26, 2019, 05:05:11 PM »
 One of the things I really liked about the movie, was how startlingly nasty and tough Thanos was, even without the stones. When Cap, IM, and Thor teamed up on him, he proceeded to bitch slap them into submission. It kinda took my breath away. It really setup the sequence with the Scarlet Witch too and made you appreciate her power when she tore him a new hole. Great stuff!

Offline Adami

Just sat down. Previews in 12 min. Woooooo!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
The Family and I are seated and ready to go. 17 minutes.....this Theater is packed to the gills.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2785 on: April 26, 2019, 07:58:54 PM »
Went to a 9:30 screening last night. Roughly chronological thoughts...

Opening with Clint's family was both an effective way to bring us right back to the somber mood from the end of Infinity War and establishes why he's doing what he's doing when Nat catches up with him later on.

Killing Thanos 10 minutes in was a great curveball, and Thor's "I aimed for the head" was a great line.

The revelation that it was five years later (versus five days/weeks/months I guess) drew audible gasps from the audience.

As SleeperAwake said, there were some nice character moments in the initial scenes five years in the future.

I really enjoyed the time heist portion of the film. Some fun character pairings and revisiting of the old movies.

Cap versus Cap fight ftw.

Not sure what Loki swiping the Tesseract means for whether he can/will show up down the line in the MCU.

The only exception obviously was Clint and Nat retrieving the Soul Stone. Stomach sank as soon as I realized that those two were the ones off to Vormir. Figured it was going to be Nat who was the sacrifice because they wouldn't open with Clint losing his family and not have him get them back.

Did not expect to get a Stan Lee cameo, so really enjoyed when he popped up in New Jersey

Once they got all the stones together I was thinking how, as much as I was enjoying the movie, I was expecting something more epic. Then Thanos showed up, and he brought all the epic with him.

I don't think I have words to describe the totality of how awesomely epic the final battle as a whole was.

There were a number of cheers throughout the battle, starting with when the first of the teleportation circles that Wong and Strange opened up appeared.

Easily the biggest roar of the night, an atmosphere I've never experienced in a movie theater before, went to Cap wielding the hammer. People were losing their damn minds.

In their defense, f$%@ing Cap wielded the f$%@ing hammer!!!

The "girl power" moment didn't bother me, because there were team-ups happening all over the place

Absolutely awesome way for Tony to go out, "and I. Am. Iron Man." and then the snap.

It's amazing how quickly the theater went from feeling like a raucous party to being somber and silent enough that, if not for all the quiet sobbing, you could hear a pin drop.

I wasn't great, but I was OK at first. No tears, but a couple quiet ugly dry sobs. Then they cut to the "Proof that Tony Stark has a heart" memento and it was game over for me.

My interpretation of Cap's time travel adventure was that after returning the last of the stones instead of making his last jump back to the present (meaning post Tony's funeral) he made the jump back to the 1940s to make his date with Peggy and stayed there. Then old man Cap showed up at the right place at the right time.

I'm surprised Bucky wasn't given the mantle of the shield, but I'm not mad that Sam got it either.

Please please please give us an Asgardians of the Galaxy movie. I don't know if they'll do it because it almost feels like a demotion for Thor in some ways, but I think it would be a blast. Plus, with Asgard gone it feels like it'll be tough to give him another solo film in the future.

Overall I'm in awe of what the Russos managed to pull off between Infinity War and Endgame. The sheer scope of what they were attempting and the expectations attached to it were enormous, and I don't know that they could have done any better. While the MCU will obviously continue on, this felt like a unique pop culture experience that will be tough to ever duplicate. Essentially a conclusion to a 22 movie story arc that captivated the world. I've got a ticket to see it again tomorrow night, because not only do I want to see it again, I want to see it again with that opening weekend audience where people will be cheering along and just losing themselves in the universe that Marvel's created. There are certainly better movies that I have seen and will see in the future in terms of overall tightness of plot and capital A acting and such. But as an experience this is unrivaled.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #2786 on: April 26, 2019, 08:19:05 PM »
Only a few are talking about this, but the Vibranium shield was broken!

Offline jammindude

I have tickets (really good seats. Reserved. Bought them about 3 weeks ago) for a 3:20 show tomorrow.  The wife and I are going with our best friends, and then out to dinner.   It's going to be a great day.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2788 on: April 26, 2019, 08:53:39 PM »
I've seen the comment about Captain Marvel not being in it enough or just casually pasted in there as an afterthought, and while I see the reason behind it, I actually appreciate that they didn't involve her too much. This movie belonged to the original 6,its the climax of their story, and I'm thrilled they didn't let her steal any thunder. I think we all had a mi dset that she would be the difference between the last confrontation and this one, and whole she had an impact, it was more that the six were together in the battle instead of on two different planets like IW.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 10:28:21 PM by lonestar »

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Just sat down. Previews in 12 min. Woooooo!

Yeah, about 8 of them....

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #2790 on: April 26, 2019, 09:11:04 PM »
Will Marvel be patient enough to play the long game to match this? Endgame was payoff for a decade-long effort, and I hope Marvel will bear this in mind.

I think they have to come up with a threat that is really big because these next gen - Cap Marvel, Black Panther with Wakanda, Dr. Strange, Scarlet Witch, Spider-Man - are much more powerful than the original six Avengers.

Offline Adami

Woah.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gzarruk

Before watching Endgame, Infinity War was my favorite movie of all time. That might've changed. Still not sure, but boy it was good.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2793 on: April 26, 2019, 10:27:50 PM »
Will Marvel be patient enough to play the long game to match this? Endgame was payoff for a decade-long effort, and I hope Marvel will bear this in mind.

I think they have to come up with a threat that is really big because these next gen - Cap Marvel, Black Panther with Wakanda, Dr. Strange, Scarlet Witch, Spider-Man - are much more powerful than the original six Avengers.

Agreed, and they have years to add/develop characters acquired from Fox as well. I think as long as Feige is at the helm, they'll be just fine.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Woah.

Right? No amount of speculation could've prepared anyone for that level of epicness.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2795 on: April 26, 2019, 11:13:31 PM »
Just got back from seeing it. Will read the thread in the morning but I just have to say...

That. Was. Incredible.

I have SO many thoughts... I can't wait to see this a second, third, fourth time - maybe even more before it leaves theaters. That was one of the best moviegoing experiences I have ever been part of. Where do we go now...?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
No spoilers, don't worry - but I feel truly sorry for the people who don't 'get' the MCU and the hype behind this, because that was one of the greatest things I've ever witnessed. That is what the movies are made for, man. I can't wait for everyone who hasn't seen it to experience the awesomeness.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2797 on: April 27, 2019, 03:05:36 AM »
I've got a ticket to see it again tomorrow night, because not only do I want to see it again, I want to see it again with that opening weekend audience where people will be cheering along and just losing themselves in the universe that Marvel's created. There are certainly better movies that I have seen and will see in the future in terms of overall tightness of plot and capital A acting and such. But as an experience this is unrivaled.

Amen.

Offline Polarbear

Less than 6 hours to go! :tup

My body is ready! :metal

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2799 on: April 27, 2019, 06:28:20 AM »
I’m still not sure if all the time travel/messing with the timeline thing makes sense entirely, but it was a surreal experience and can’t wait to watch it again before it leaves theaters :hefdaddy