Author Topic: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe v2 (SPOILERS)  (Read 248391 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe *SPOILERS* 2
« Reply #2485 on: March 22, 2019, 11:47:42 AM »
Yeah, it's kind of off-putting to realize I need to buy 17 Blu-rays if I want to have them all. I'm a stickler for buying films brand new for something like this, as a big collection, but I might just say screw it and get them way cheaper at a Disc Replay or something.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2486 on: March 22, 2019, 11:47:55 AM »
I own them all on Blu Ray.

Continuing my re-watch, last night was The Avengers. You know, I forgot how cool and good this movie is. I remembering being a bit meh by the idea of watching them all get together again, since it's no longer a cool special thing. But once it started, the writing is sharp, the directing is good, great action, great character moments. Just a fantastic movie. Minus the problem with the ending. But overall, really great.

Sunday is Iron Man III. Wonder if I will dislike the last 3rd as much as I did the last time I saw it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2487 on: March 22, 2019, 11:52:04 AM »
Katt, do you mean what media do we watch them on or what order to watch them?  You mention a few different things, so it's not clear to me what question you are asking. 

I have them all, other than CM (DVD for the phase 1 individual films, and BR from Avengers onward).  So watching them is not a problem.  And it seems like one or the other of them is almost always on in the background at my house.

For me, if I were to try to do an abbreviated marathon to gear up for Endgame, it would probably focus on the main infinity stones storyline and Tony, with some of the films cut out just to save time.  I think it might go something like this:

-Avengers:  Sets up the whole thing, and seems like it is going to be revisited.
-Iron Man III:  Hear me out on this.  I think the arc for Tony here is really important.  The trauma he is feeling here is extremely relevant to what happens next.
[-Thor: The Dark World:  Important from the standpoint of the infinity stones arc overall.  But what happens in that regard is relatively straightforward, so this film is probably one of the more skippable ones in my list]
-Age of Ultron:  I think going from IM3 into this one would have a cool effect in terms of observing where Tony is, emotionally and psychologically.
-Guardians:  The cosmic stuff is important.  Power stone.  Thanos.  'nuff said.
-Civil War:  The team splits.  This is important for Infinity War.
[-Dr. Strange:  Time stone.  But probably skippable.]
-Thor: Ragnarok:  Great bridge for Thor between Age of Ultron and Iinfinity War. 
-Infinity War:  well, duh.

With the two "skippable" films, that's still 7 movies to watch.  But it is a more "streamlined" story, if you can consider 7 movies "streamlined."
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2488 on: March 22, 2019, 11:56:10 AM »
I can't help myself.  I bought them all.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2489 on: March 22, 2019, 12:04:32 PM »
I am watching them on Netflix

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2490 on: March 22, 2019, 12:10:13 PM »
I own them all on Blu Ray.

:hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

If ever there was a film series I'd even consider owning in HD, it would be the MCU stuff.

But like many here, I basically see them in the theaters or rent/download them later.  Great stuff.  I consider myself fortunate to have seen them all, pretty much as they came out, and every single one of them is good, great, or just plain ass-kicking.  It's been a great ride so far.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2491 on: March 22, 2019, 12:29:20 PM »
Bosk, I'm asking what medium through which you view the movies - do you rent them digitally like I have, do you own them on a physical format, are you a filthy little pirate, etc.?

I plan on getting a 4K TV in the future so it would actually be cool if there was a 4K Blu-ray MCU collection. It would be ridiculously expensive, but I keep imagining this giant box art that contains all the films, with Thanos, the heroes, and the stones as the art, and each spine of the films' Blu-ray case connecting to make another giant image.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2492 on: March 22, 2019, 12:46:28 PM »
I've seen over half in the theaters and the other rented or borrowed at home. I have honestly never watched any MCU movie more than once, so I don't awn any of them. It's odd for a movie series I enjoy that I've never watched any of them a second time.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2493 on: March 22, 2019, 01:47:20 PM »
I have all Blu Rays.  My friend who has a movie theater in his house has a 4K player.   He owns 6 in 4K  All the rest are Blu Ray.  I'm not sure all are out as 4K.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online Adami

« Reply #2494 on: March 22, 2019, 01:52:15 PM »
The only con to buying the blu rays when they come out is that we all know in 6-8 months they're going to release a gigantic Phase 1-3 box set with tons of stuff that I will have very little reason to buy since I already own them all.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2495 on: March 22, 2019, 02:36:01 PM »
The only con to buying the blu rays when they come out is that we all know in 6-8 months they're going to release a gigantic Phase 1-3 box set with tons of stuff that I will have very little reason to buy since I already own them all.

I love buying the newer films because there's a really pleasing visual design to all the cases (Black Panther, Homecoming, Ragnarok, Infinity War all look beautiful next to each other on my film stand), but yeah, I kinda wish I hadn't bought any of them because we all know that bigass set is coming after Endgame wraps.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2496 on: March 22, 2019, 02:39:43 PM »
Yeah, but that bigass set is gonna be like 75 discs and cost $399.95 (plus tax).  It helps me feel better thinking that.

Years ago, I really didn't think I'd see the day, but I'm kinda getting away from physical media.  I love my DVDs and Blu-rays, but I don't buy many anymore, and I don't pull them out and put them on as much as... well, not very much at all, really.  :(

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2497 on: March 22, 2019, 03:29:34 PM »
It's funny how (other than the MCU) I don't ever buy any films on physical media, but I make sure to pay for both Spotify *and* CDs, even if I don't play the CDs anymore.  :lol

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2498 on: March 22, 2019, 04:48:19 PM »
I hope that after ENDGAME they release a mega box of Blu Rays with lots of extras, memorabilia, and other cool things, I would buy that

Online Adami

« Reply #2499 on: March 22, 2019, 04:58:10 PM »
I hope that after ENDGAME they release a mega box of Blu Rays with lots of extras, memorabilia, and other cool things, I would buy that

Oh they will. And not buying it will be a tough necessary choice for me.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2501 on: March 24, 2019, 05:08:46 PM »
I can do that from my recliner.  :lol

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2502 on: March 24, 2019, 06:26:19 PM »
From Mark Ruffalo FACEBOOK Page;

YOU could join me at the Avengers: Endgame premiere and take home Thor’s hammer (sorry, Chris!). Show some love to the Stella Adler Academy of Acting & Theatre - Los Angeles and ENTER HERE: http://bit.ly/You-Me-Avengers-Premiere

:metal

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #2503 on: March 25, 2019, 09:42:09 AM »
Has 4k not quite caught on? I upgraded to a 4k HDR blu-ray player...I think almost two years ago when we upgraded our TV. I upgraded a few of my favorite films to 4k immediately, but noticed that the standard Blu-ray upconverts it at a level where it is absolutely an improvement to my non-expert eyes. I buy all my new stuff in 4k, but after those first few upgrade purchases, I leave my current Blu-Rays and just watch those on the 4k player.

I don't own all the MCU films. I have a few, but haven't wanted to splurge.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2504 on: March 25, 2019, 09:43:56 AM »
Has 4k not quite caught on? I upgraded to a 4k HDR blu-ray player...I think almost two years ago when we upgraded our TV. I upgraded a few of my favorite films to 4k immediately, but noticed that the standard Blu-ray upconverts it at a level where it is absolutely an improvement to my non-expert eyes. I buy all my new stuff in 4k, but after those first few upgrade purchases, I leave my current Blu-Rays and just watch those on the 4k player.

I don't own all the MCU films. I have a few, but haven't wanted to splurge.

I didn't know regular Blu-rays could automatically look better on a 4K Blu-ray player/4k TV. That's cool! I've only ever watched 4K once, and that was an episode of Planet Earth in 4K (or maybe it was Life... can't remember, honestly) on my buddy's 70 or 75" 4K TV and that was one of the most impressive things I've ever seen on a home television.

Online Adami

« Reply #2505 on: March 27, 2019, 08:20:03 AM »
Continuing my rewatch, did Iron Man III  on Sunday and Thor: The Dark World last night.

Iron Man III: Actually better than I remembered. The movie itself was really good. Great comedic moments. I actually liked the Mandarin twist, especially with the knowledge from the One Shot that there is a real Mandarin out there somewhere. I didn't HATE the 3rd act as much as I did last time, but I still didn't like it.

Also, after watching this and Iron Man II, it seems the Tony could have been spared a lot of drama if he and his dad were just nicer to people and less of a dick.

Thor: The Dark World....on the other hand....not very good at all. Definitely at the bottom for me. It has good moments. All the Loki stuff is great. But it felt like the movie was created based on an idea for ending.

"So how about for the next Thor movie, it ends with a huge crazy battle with Thor and the bad guy fighting and flying through wormholes and everything"
"Why would there be wormholes everywhere on earth?"
"Uhhhhh cause the realms are alligning?"
"Uh huh...and who benefits from that?"
"Uhhhh -reads quick comic-.....a dark elf?"
"Sure, and what does the dark elf want?"
".........darkness?"
"Perfect, go write it"

It's just a not good script. Which is odd since 2/3 of the writing team are the dudes that brought us Winter Soldier, Civil war, Infinity War and Endgame. Maybe they had limited input? I dunno. But the writing is bad. Directing is surprisingly good, considering how bad the script is. Ah well.

Tomorrow night is the first Guardians movie, followed a few days later by Guardians II.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2506 on: March 27, 2019, 01:56:29 PM »
Get your short shorts on to dance to all that great 70's AOR soundtrack for both movies.

Online Adami

« Reply #2507 on: March 27, 2019, 02:00:49 PM »
Get your short shorts on to dance to all that great 70's AOR soundtrack for both movies.

I think I'm one of the very few people who don't put Guardians in their top 3. I just think certain elements were perfect, and other elements were so bad that it dragged the whole thing down pretty far. Maybe I'll feel differently this time. Definitely happened with Iron Man III and stuff.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2508 on: March 27, 2019, 02:02:57 PM »
I know a bunch of people who like Guardians, but don't have it in their top 3. For me I didn't like it for the longest time... then I had nothing else to watch so I watched it again, and over the next 2-3 replays, it grew on me. That's extremely rare for me to give multiple replays to something I initially didn't like at all, but now it's among my favorite Marvel films, but not in top 3. The soundtrack for the Guardians films, though, is the best in the MCU, and I hope 3 keeps that up.

2 is really hard to watch. I'm not one to ever complain about a lot of visual effects, but Guardians 2 is exhausting by the end. The visuals are very pretty and well-done, but my eyes are tired by the end of the movie. Ego's planet alone (surface) goes insane with the visual effects.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2509 on: March 27, 2019, 02:10:41 PM »

I think I'm one of the very few people who don't put Guardians in their top 3. I just think certain elements were perfect, and other elements were so bad that it dragged the whole thing down pretty far. Maybe I'll feel differently this time. Definitely happened with Iron Man III and stuff.

My top 3 would be

Captain America : The Winter Soldier
Captain America: Civil War
The Avengers.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2510 on: March 27, 2019, 03:25:30 PM »

Kevin Feige has already called the entire set of first 22 films the Infinity Saga.  So you know there will be a set with that logo plastered all over it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2511 on: March 27, 2019, 04:59:05 PM »

Kevin Feige has already called the entire set of first 22 films the Infinity Saga.  So you know there will be a set with that logo plastered all over it.

And I'll be tempted to spend big $$$ on it :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2512 on: March 28, 2019, 08:27:31 AM »

I think I'm one of the very few people who don't put Guardians in their top 3.

I'm with Katt.  I liked it a LOT.  But it's not in my top 3 either.  There are things about it that serious bugged me.  But it was wildly creative, and funny, and most of it unexpectedly worked REALLY well, and in my scale of ranking things, that gets rewarded despite some flaws. 

I agree, and I think that's really cool.  ...and it's also something I have no intention whatsoever of buying.  I have every movie up to this point on BR (save the individual phase 1 films, which I have on DVD).  I can't justify re-buying them, unless there is some TRULY insane special content, and a significant amount of it.  IMO, nothing has ever been able to touch the bonus content on the LOTR trilogy films.  To justify me spending whatever an Infinity Saga box set would cost, it would have to be at least that good, and have to be expanded to a commensurate ratio based on the number of films.  I don't see that happening.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2513 on: March 28, 2019, 02:16:07 PM »

Guardians is nowhere near my top 3, or top 10 for that matter. It’s just not the flavor of the MCU that I enjoy.

Online Adami

« Reply #2514 on: March 28, 2019, 02:56:42 PM »
Hmm, maybe it's just all the Youtube people I watch. Almost all of them put it in top 3, many number 1.

I think if the movie had a better villain/plot it would have been in my top 5.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2515 on: March 28, 2019, 03:11:15 PM »
IMO, nothing has ever been able to touch the bonus content on the LOTR trilogy films.
Boy, no kidding.

To justify me spending whatever an Infinity Saga box set would cost, it would have to be at least that good, and have to be expanded to a commensurate ratio based on the number of films.  I don't see that happening.
I agree.

BTW, I rank Guardians fairly high, but not top 3.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #2516 on: March 28, 2019, 07:07:53 PM »
IMO, nothing has ever been able to touch the bonus content on the LOTR trilogy films.

Absolutely agree. The special features DVDs have such a ridiculous and crazy amount of in-depth special features that explain every aspect of the film making process. I wouldn't be surprised if half the last and current generations of film students were inspired to go into film because of the LotR special features.

Doesn't hurt that there's like 48 hours of special features for the original trilogy or something ridiculous like that. And the Douglas Adams book specifically for the music...

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2517 on: March 28, 2019, 07:28:26 PM »
It's the cast commentary that makes it.   

*IF* you could get a full cast audio commentary for all the features, and a full disc of bonus content for every movie, it could be $500 for 22 movies and I'd pay it. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2518 on: March 29, 2019, 09:36:33 AM »
I'll probably end up buying whatever they put out. I don't own anything besides I think Iron Man already, so would mostly be new buys, and I bet the packaging will be awesome.

I don't think I'd put Guardians in my top 3 either. I love it to death, and it's probably in the top 5, but not quite top 3.
Photobucket sucks.

Online Adami

« Reply #2519 on: March 30, 2019, 03:17:58 PM »
Continuing my re-watch, Thursday night was Guardians of the Galaxy.

I liked it a lot more this time than before. I've limited my criticisms to a few specific things. But first.

Things I liked
 - Great portrayal of Peter Quill. He's more serious in the comics, but Chris Pratt just crushed his version and I loved every second of it.
 - Groot and Rocket were perfection. For some reason while reading the comics, prior to the movie coming out, I always read Rocket with Jason Statham's voice, but now this is the definitive voice for me. Loved both of them.
 - The plot of them getting together and really anything involving the major guardians was exceptional.
 - I really liked Nebula. Different from the comics (at least at the time) but she really gave it her all and was fantastic.

Things I didn't like
 - The Nova Corps. In the comics they are SUPER elite awesome space cops with insane powers and are feared throughout the galaxy. In this movie, they're kind of dumb local cops. I didn't like the uniforms, I didn't like how they were portrayed, and even though I love me some John C Riley, he was not right for this movie. None of them were, but him especially.
 - Anything involving Ronan and Thanos. Just really bad writing and acting. Sorry to both of them. Luckily Brolan more than made up for it in Infinity War.
 - A decent amount of the acting from Drax and Gamora. Some of it was really good. Some of it was really bad. From Dave Bautista I'm understanding since he wasn’t a real actor at the time, but Zoey Saldana has no excuse.

So yea, over all I really enjoyed it. Just not a great villain or overall plot once they got together.

Tonight is Guardians Volume 2. Followed by Winter Soldier on Tuesday.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 03:29:14 PM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com