Author Topic: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe v2 (SPOILERS)  (Read 250595 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe *SPOILERS* 2
« Reply #245 on: March 06, 2017, 10:10:34 AM »
Reported combined budget for Infinity War and (still untitled) Avengers 4: close to $1 Billion.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #246 on: March 06, 2017, 10:38:57 AM »
Woop !! Doctor Strange is on Playstation video to rent for £3.50

I might do that later.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #247 on: March 06, 2017, 10:40:06 AM »
Reported combined budget for Infinity War and (still untitled) Avengers 4: close to $1 Billion.

:lol Well Infinity War is 2 films and I wouldn't be shocked if Avengers 4 was split into 2 films as well.

Is Infinity War Avengers 3 ?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #248 on: March 06, 2017, 10:44:55 AM »
Infinity War is one film.

Avengers 4 is one film.

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #249 on: March 06, 2017, 10:47:14 AM »
Infinity War is one film.

Avengers 4 is one film.

Correct.

I also assume that 900,000,000 of that goes to RDJ.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #250 on: March 06, 2017, 10:51:22 AM »
Infinity War was originally two films.

I don't keep up with this stuff so.....

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #251 on: March 06, 2017, 10:55:56 AM »
...But anyway - a combined budget of $1bn for two movies is INSANE.

Unless $1bn includes the promo budget they're putting aside for it as well.

$500m a film... They need to gross about $1.5bn a piece.

Offline Adami

« Reply #252 on: March 06, 2017, 10:57:57 AM »

Yea. It's all good. They decided to make it just Infinity War and change what was part 2 to untitled Avengers 4. But they're being filmed back to back so the stories will likely be linked. Most likely they just didn't like the part 1 and 2 titles because of how so many other franchises ruined the concept.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #253 on: March 06, 2017, 11:24:04 AM »

Yea. It's all good. They decided to make it just Infinity War and change what was part 2 to untitled Avengers 4. But they're being filmed back to back so the stories will likely be linked. Most likely they just didn't like the part 1 and 2 titles because of how so many other franchises ruined the concept.
This.

And no, the budget estimates are just production, not promo added in.

Needless to say, Marvel is expecting big things from these films.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #254 on: March 06, 2017, 11:24:12 AM »
To me having a trilogy and having the 3rd film be called Part 1 just reeks of getting more money out of one film.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #255 on: March 06, 2017, 11:25:06 AM »

This.

And no, the budget estimates are just production, not promo added in.

Needless to say, Marvel is expecting big things from these films.

so $500m a piece and probably another $250m a piece on promotion.

Yeah they must be expecting big things.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #256 on: March 06, 2017, 11:25:31 AM »
To me having a trilogy and having the 3rd film be called Part 1 just reeks of getting more money out of one film.
It isn't a trilogy.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #257 on: March 06, 2017, 11:26:58 AM »
It isn't a trilogy.

I didn't say it was ffs. I was just citing precedent your honour.

Quote from: Adami
Most likely they just didn't like the part 1 and 2 titles because of how so many other franchises ruined the concept.

Other franchises have done it. Announcing a trilogy and then the 3rd film is actually two films.

Offline Adami

« Reply #258 on: March 06, 2017, 11:34:56 AM »
And while 500 mill a movie is a lot, keep in mind that a huge chunk of that is just actor salary.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #259 on: March 06, 2017, 11:43:01 AM »
Yeah it's an ensemble piece with lots of big names probably all getting around $20m each.

Which they get whether the film is a hit or a bomb.

Offline Adami

« Reply #260 on: March 06, 2017, 11:44:51 AM »
Yeah it's an ensemble piece with lots of big names probably all getting around $20m each.

Which they get whether the film is a hit or a bomb.

RDJ alone is likely getting at least 100 mil a movie.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #261 on: March 06, 2017, 12:04:42 PM »
I've never really thought about it in these terms prior to seeing those numbers.  But with 24 films and all the merch and licensing that goes with them, they could easily afford to have the two Infinity Wars films not make budget and be "loss leaders" of sorts.  I mean, not that they WON'T make budget, but just saying.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #262 on: March 06, 2017, 01:08:35 PM »
Well.

For arguments sake lets say that the promotional budget is 500m ( 250m per film )

That's $1.5bn they need to make back.

That's $750m per film. Just to recoup the budgets.

They're probably hoping for about $1.5bn per movie.

The first Avengers took $1.5bn and the second one $1.4bn

But yeah if all their other films make huge profits it won't really matter.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #263 on: March 06, 2017, 01:10:28 PM »
But even if they don't get it from ticket sales (which they will), they will still make a TON by the time all is said and done.  Pretty crazy when you stop and think about it.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #264 on: March 06, 2017, 01:11:42 PM »
But even if they don't get it from ticket sales (which they will), they will still make a TON by the time all is said and done.  Pretty crazy when you stop and think about it.

Yes if you include home theater sales too.

I read on some financial website that The Force Awakens made it's money back just on merchandise alone.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #265 on: March 06, 2017, 01:16:26 PM »
Dormammu fell a little flat for me.

Gotta agree with this. I really like the movie overall, but the end fight with Dormammu, or at least his face, was a bit underwhelming.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #266 on: March 06, 2017, 01:19:58 PM »
Dormammu fell a little flat for me.

Gotta agree with this. I really like the movie overall, but the end fight with Dormammu, or at least his face, was a bit underwhelming.
I thought the fight itself was pretty cool.  It's just that they didn't really build up Dormammu enough beforehand for me to really feel like he was very menacing.  I mean, obviously, he was.  But I just wasn't feeling it, if that makes sense. 

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #267 on: March 06, 2017, 01:21:59 PM »
I had no particular problem with the buildup, my issue is more with the portrayal of him once we finally got there, which I guess makes the buildup retroactively less intriguing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #268 on: March 06, 2017, 01:49:33 PM »
Trying to decide for myself where it makes sense for the final infinity stone to be revealed.  I'm leaning toward Thor: Ragnarok, just because of the setting and villain.  I think my second choice is Infinity Wars I.  Part of where I am coming from is where the other stones were revealed or have their focus.

-Tesseract:  Now on Asgard, if memory serves.  But was found on earth and that's where the action was focused.
-Ether:  Presumably, the Collector still has it.  When it comes right down to it, the action was really focused on earth and the invasion at the end because the merging of the realms was focused there.  But obviously, there was an Asgardian focus as well.
-Loki's staff/mind stone:  Earth again.  Yeah, Loki brought it there from far away.  But the action surrounding it is focused on earth.  And that is where it now resides (in Vision's forehead).
-Orb (was it the reality stone?):  Nova Corps has it. 
-Time stone:  Earth.

So, 3 of the 5 stones are on or were focused on earth.  I just think it would be odd for the last stone to be there as well.  So, that said, I am ruling out it being revealed in Black Panther or Spider Man.  And in any case, I think it would be odd for it to not be revealed until AFTER the first Infinity Wars movie, so I am ruling out Captain Marvel.  That leaves GotG2, Thor: Ragnarok, and Infinity Wars I.  I see no reason it couldn't show up in GotG2.  But it just seems odd that they would reveal 2 stones in the two GotG films.  I dunno.  I could be completely off base, but that's my speculation, for what it's worth.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #269 on: March 06, 2017, 01:54:23 PM »
Avengers : McGuffin War.

Offline Adami

« Reply #270 on: March 06, 2017, 02:02:49 PM »
Avengers: Infinite Money War.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #271 on: March 06, 2017, 02:09:27 PM »
Trying to decide for myself where it makes sense for the final infinity stone to be revealed.  I'm leaning toward Thor: Ragnarok, just because of the setting and villain.  I think my second choice is Infinity Wars I.  Part of where I am coming from is where the other stones were revealed or have their focus.

I'm pretty sure it will be in Thor: Ragnarok.  There is a theory/meme that lists where it will appear, which I've seen on some Marvel facebook pages.  It looks like it will make sense if it works out that way and is a neat little nugget for fans.   :biggrin:

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #272 on: March 06, 2017, 02:20:05 PM »
I see no reason it couldn't show up in GotG2. 
Well, director James Gunn said his film wouldn't be connected with the larger Avengers-themed storyline, so I doubt it (unless he is lying).

It won't be Spider-Man, because that's still a Sony movie, and they won't devote their film space to something so big for Marvel's ongoing storyline, if they lend out Spider-Man to the MCU or borrow other characters (like Iron Man) from the MCU. 

It will be in Thor: Ragnarok, or just wait until Infinity War.

Offline Adami

« Reply #273 on: March 06, 2017, 02:46:10 PM »
I've seen people theorize that GoTG 2 will have a post credits scene tying into Infinity War or something.

I think people are forgetting that Guardians 2 still takes place around 2014, since it's not too long after the last movie ended.

So the in-universe time that will elapse between Guardians 2 and Infinity War will be several years. Groot will likely be adult, and their relationships will have to be a little different.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #274 on: March 06, 2017, 03:09:26 PM »
Well, director James Gunn said his film wouldn't be connected with the larger Avengers-themed storyline, so I doubt it (unless he is lying).

Psh!  If it wasn't posted in this thread, it didn't happen.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #275 on: March 07, 2017, 12:39:21 AM »
The aether is the reality stone, the orb is the power stone.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #276 on: March 09, 2017, 06:27:00 PM »

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #277 on: March 12, 2017, 03:00:41 PM »

But it just seems odd that they would reveal 2 stones in the two GotG films.  I dunno.  I could be completely off base, but that's my speculation, for what it's worth.

By that logic, it would also be odd that 2/3 Thor movies would reveal a stone?

My vote is definitely Ragnarok.  It has to be an "H" something... so some prevailing theories are Hel, Hela, or Heimdall.  Since it's the Soul stone, something to do with Hel or Hela seem logical, since soul's would be trapped in Hel.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Adami

« Reply #278 on: March 12, 2017, 03:03:04 PM »
There's also the (much less likely) theory that the soul stone will be in Black Panther and that would explain how BP can communicate with all the dead black panthers before him. Assuming of course that they carried that element over from the comics.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Adami

« Reply #279 on: March 12, 2017, 03:04:12 PM »
Also I'm a little worried about Iron Fist. It's getting not great reviews thus far, and the response from people involved is essentially "Well this was made for the fans, not the critics" which is what they usually say about awful properties. I remember that being the defending line against Suicide Squad and BvS.
fanticide.bandcamp.com