Author Topic: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe v2 (SPOILERS)  (Read 250556 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Re: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe *SPOILERS* 2
« Reply #2345 on: March 11, 2019, 10:26:18 AM »
The Affleck Daredevil was decent.  Pretty good for that era, but suffers in comparison to the MCU.  As I recall, the movie was originally a pretty low-budget affair, but after the box office success of the first Spider-Man movie, the studio threw a bunch more money in for the FX.   

The Director's Cut is better, IMO.

Watched the Director's Cut on Saturday night. I enjoyed it. It had its cringe-worthy moments, and the soundtrack was total nu-metal, but I thought it was pretty decent actually. I ended up not owning it like I thought I had, so I went and bought the Director's Cut after renting it to add to my collection.

re: Captain Marvel - we're going next weekend. Looking forward to it.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2347 on: March 11, 2019, 10:32:14 AM »
Interesting take on the "feminist" aspect:  https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/commentary/ct-perspec-captain-marvel-feminism-women-superhero-wilhelm-0311-20190308-story.html
So interesting, Europeans aren't allowed to read it.

Unfortunately, our website is currently unavailable in most European countries. We are engaged on the issue and committed to looking at options that support our full range of digital offerings to the EU market. We continue to identify technical compliance solutions that will provide all readers with our award-winning journalism.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2348 on: March 11, 2019, 10:34:38 AM »
I've heard a lot of people (not just here) worry about Carol being a deus ex-machina for Endgame. I get that. At the same time, I highly doubt the Russo's made a 3 hour movie where Carol just punches Thanos and wins. You know?

I've never read the comics and do not know the 'story' behind all of this.....are the movies following the comics/story closely or are they taking liberties and just using them as a reference or blue print?

Captain Marvel isn't even involved in the Infinity Gauntlet story.  Adam Warlock plays a big role, but he's MIA in the MCU other than the brief appearance of his cocoon in Guardians 2. The films are using the Gauntlet, Thanos, and the stones, but they're not following the comics at all really.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2349 on: March 11, 2019, 10:46:36 AM »
Interesting take on the "feminist" aspect:  https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/commentary/ct-perspec-captain-marvel-feminism-women-superhero-wilhelm-0311-20190308-story.html
So interesting, Europeans aren't allowed to read it.

Unfortunately, our website is currently unavailable in most European countries. We are engaged on the issue and committed to looking at options that support our full range of digital offerings to the EU market. We continue to identify technical compliance solutions that will provide all readers with our award-winning journalism.

Oh, sorry.  Here's the text of it:

Commentary: 'Captain Marvel' and today’s exhausting feminism

By Heather Wilhelm

Gird your loins, America, for I have a bone-rattlingly powerful tale to tell: In case you haven’t heard, there is a new movie in theaters, and it will reportedly change the way you look at the world forever. It is called “Captain Marvel,” and it is based on a comic book superhero, and the superhero is played by ... here, you might grab your smelling salts, because this is super groundbreaking and wildly controversial in the year 2019 ... A WOMAN.

Whoa! I know! It’s mind-boggling! This has never happened before, except when it happened two years ago, when “Wonder Woman” came out, which was also when an impressively large press cohort collectively and conveniently forgot the countless strong female leads that had occurred even before then! Remember those fevered days? Remember when an alarming number of movie critics simultaneously lost their minds over the sheer raw feminism of “Wonder Woman,” documenting how they cried at the theater and declaring that viewing “Wonder Woman” might have been the most powerful experience of their life, which should deeply worry us all if that is indeed really true?

It’s OK if you don’t remember: The internet appears to be melting all of our brains. Anyway, I liked “Wonder Woman,” and I’m sure “Captain Marvel” is fine, despite the web of semi-hysterical press surrounding its release. The women in the film, intones one review at Forbes, “are pilots, they are scientists, they are warriors, and while some of the men around them might not understand that or accept it, the women don't frankly need them to and aren't going to wait around for the myopic men to catch up to the facts.”

Ah, yes! Those daft, myopic men, always fouling things up! But wait, there’s more: “That's not to say, however, that ‘Captain Marvel’ doesn't remind us of the sorts of daily frustrations, struggles, and inequalities women face in society — being told to smile more ...”

Wait. What? Let’s stop here, shall we? Out of the world’s massive crab bucket of problems, let us stop and consider the modern scourge among American women of being told to smile more. Has it been two seconds? OK, that’s probably enough time — although if you google “Captain Marvel” and “smile more,” you will discover that many people fervently disagree.

For the record, I have never been told to smile more. This deeply worries me, because perhaps it means I am smiling too much. Truly, it keeps me up at night, brooding like a superhero in anguish! Just kidding. It doesn’t worry me at all, because it doesn’t matter. I don’t care, and neither should you, and nobody should be in a tizzy about this particular subject in general, because life is precious and very short.

With that in mind, here’s what does worry me a bit, even if it is a bit tangential: “Captain Marvel,” or at least the reception to it, might be a subtle indicator of how suffocating modern feminism has become.

At a base level, the very idea of a superhero is innately goofy or farcical, or at least it should be. But “Captain Marvel,” by most accounts, is almost perfect: Strong. Beautiful. Driven. Ultra-powerful. According to Slate, she is a “serious, stolid type whose steel will and laser-focused commitment to her mission make her a formidable foe even when her fists aren’t glowing orange with photon-blasting superpowers,” which is impressive indeed.

But what does it say about our culture that influential people take a movie like this — and similar so-called representations of women, which, as a reminder, are based on fictional comic book characters with alien superpowers — so seriously? Perhaps it’s because modern feminism has morphed into a crazed culture of unforgiving, humorless and ultimately atomized workaholism. But hey, that’s just my theory.

On Feb. 24, The Atlantic published a fascinating essay by Derek Thompson on the rise of American “workism,” which he describes as a “kind of religion” that promises “identity, transcendence and community” by centering one’s life around work. While traditional religious faith has declined in America, Thompson notes, “everybody worships something. And workism is among the most potent of the new religions competing for congregants.” Morph workism with feminism and boy, oh boy, you’ve got something to behold.

I have a fairly old-school view when it comes to female empowerment: Women should be free to pursue their dreams, whether that involves being an astronaut or an accountant or a farmer or a stay-at-home mom. I’ve also been around long enough to see that American culture relentlessly pushes high-achieving young women to obsessively put their careers first in their lives, no matter what their ultimate personal goals might be — even if those goals involve having a family.

As Thompson notes in The Atlantic, “having a job or career they enjoy” is noted as “extremely or very important” for 95 percent of teens. Only 47 percent rank getting married with the same importance. Between men and women, guess who loses more from this cultural phenomenon? (Hint: It’s the half with the shorter biological clock.)

Don’t get me wrong: Work can be very good! I’ve done a lot of it myself. I’m as big a fan of free-market capitalism as the next red-blooded American who grew up during the Reagan administration, trust me. Unfortunately, the modern feminist vision somehow morphs that capitalism into its worst caricature, or a Hobbesian war of all against all. Weirdly, it also simultaneously suggests that we all should be getting up at 5 a.m. daily to prep for, say, three Ironman races a year — or, even better, as the Los Angeles Times recently put it, “train like a noble Kree warrior hero” based on “Captain Marvel” star Brie Larson’s nine-month pre-movie workout plan. Right.

Alternatively, you could just go running a few times a week and call it a day. Forget “leaning in,” America — lean out with me! Let’s start a movement together! You won’t get to be a proverbial “Captain Marvel,” but that’s OK. Like much of today’s pop feminism, that sounds kind of exhausting and not very fun.

Heather Wilhelm is a National Review Online columnist.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2350 on: March 11, 2019, 12:08:20 PM »
how suffocating modern feminism has become.

This sentiment was the gist of my comment. Not that I don't believe that there is still headway to be made or that I'm a raging sexist pig who thinks women should be barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen.....but the major 'issues' of today like 'girl power', LGBTQ, Black Lives Matter.....all of them IMO are suffering the same type of 'suffocating' fate. It's the equivalent of the Loud, overzealous Bible thumping preachers or Evangelists trying to 'spread the word' in a tone deaf manner that people complain about. There is a way to go about it to where if anything....the people you desire to reach or have listen will actually do that rather than be immediately turned off by your tactics. That's where I'm at. I'm turned off by the tactics at this point. Some of the tone of Captain Marvel was just a very...very tiny straw placed on the camels back for me.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2351 on: March 11, 2019, 12:20:32 PM »
One other aspect of the film that I forgot to mention:  At the outset of the movie, I choked up a little bit at the Stan Lee montage.  Toward the end of it, I wanted to applaud.  I hesitated for a second because the theater was completely silent save for the film.  Then somebody else started clapping, and a lot of us enthusiastically joined it.  It was  cool moment.

Also, the cameo was just brilliant.  I missed what he was reading, so the significance of it escaped me in the moment.  I read a brief article about it after the fact.  Really well done.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2352 on: March 11, 2019, 01:18:07 PM »
Bosk:

Can’t see why #2 would be an issue. It just means she can control exactly how much power she releases. As little, or as much as she sees fit. It actually implies MORE strength that she has that much control instead of just letting a nuclear size blast every time she proverbially “pulls the trigger”

And I’ve been thinking about the song a lot, and I’ve decided that I think the 90s hit Supernova by Liz Phair would have been perfect for that scene. They would have to do the radio version that deleted one f-bomb from the original, but that’s common practice. But the mood of the music and the chorus especially would have been a great fit.

'Cause you're a human supernova
A solar superman
You're an angel with wings of fire
A flying, giant friction blast
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2353 on: March 11, 2019, 01:21:12 PM »
Can’t see why #2 would be an issue. It just means she can control exactly how much power she releases. As little, or as much as she sees fit. It actually implies MORE strength that she has that much control instead of just letting a nuclear size blast every time she proverbially “pulls the trigger”

Well, sure.  Except that there were plenty of moments in the film where she wasn't trying to hold back, and just ended up knocking people down. 

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2354 on: March 11, 2019, 02:01:14 PM »
I kind of noticed that, but just wrote it of as conveniently lazy writing. Just like I could imagine a bazillion ways Thanos with most of the stones could have had his way with any of the Avengers but still just threw punches, it'd be rather anti climactic if he just ripped open Iron Man with a thought.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2355 on: March 11, 2019, 02:50:18 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j0gsV9J7Ts

A video by Kevin Smith talking about the Stan Lee cameo in Captain Marvel. Not necessary, but just a really sweet video about how meaningful it was to him and just to show how great of a guy Kevin Smith seems to be.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2356 on: March 11, 2019, 08:06:45 PM »
One other aspect of the film that I forgot to mention:  At the outset of the movie, I choked up a little bit at the Stan Lee montage.  Toward the end of it, I wanted to applaud.  I hesitated for a second because the theater was completely silent save for the film.  Then somebody else started clapping,

If you were in my theater, that was me.

If not, well... it was still me.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2357 on: March 11, 2019, 08:30:43 PM »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r2BfC8VfsZw

Best pitch meeting video imo
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2358 on: March 11, 2019, 08:32:51 PM »
My theater broke out in spontaneous applause at the dedication screen at the beginning.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2359 on: March 11, 2019, 08:51:55 PM »
Just saw Captain Marvel, have to get these thoughts out. First off: Brie Larson is so f&*%ing attractive it makes my soul hurt. Jesus. Finally some eye candy for the dudes (and unlike how they emphasize Scarlet Witch's cleavage, they don't have to do so for Cap'n Marvelous Holy Shit She's Got It Going On).

Ahem.

- Dedication to Stan Lee immediately got me. Beautifully done.
- I thought Young Fury was a great addition to the movie and Sam Jackson did wonderfully as always.
- The story was surprisingly entertaining. I enjoyed being surprised by the twist between the Kree and Skrulls. Good stuff.
- Goose rules. Biggest laughs came from that little flerker.
- It's so freaking awesome that the MCU finally has their own Super Saiyan. I got goosebumps watching her 'come to life' at the end and just whoop ass left and right like the mortal demigod she is.
- All the complaints about Brie Larson's emotional range. WTF??? She showed plenty of emotion throughout the film and the film makes absolutely no bones about her being an alien super-soldier and Yon-Rogg CONSTANTLY tells her to keep her emotions in check so it's not like there's no reason for her to be stone-faced sometimes, but even then, she's not wooden at all. She did an awesome job all around.
- Loved the suit-changing gimmick, the Tron-like suit was really cool.

And I think I got an even bigger crush watching her dance in a bandanna, Aviators, and a GnR shirt. Be still, my heart.

Overall, awesome film, upper tier MCU flick for me even as an origin story, I don't think it's top 5 but it's certainly close. That said it has thrown my rankings into a frenzy because Spider-man was in my top 5 or 6 and I think I liked this a lot more.

Oh, and the song people have referenced: I liked it actually. I thought it was a nice change from a dramatic score that most of the other films have and it paired well with the action. This film rocks.

Okay... diarrhea of the post over, got all my gut reactions out there.  :biggrin:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2360 on: March 12, 2019, 03:26:14 AM »
For me it wasn't so much the emotional range but rather the personality traits of the character that seemed a bit off, and I think that's more on the writers than Brie, because she is a great actress. But for example, in some scenes she was quipping like Peter Quill and having fun witty banter with the bad guys, then in a few scenes she had that Dr. Strange arrogance (kinda) like when she meets Nick Fury initially, and then in other scenes she came off as more of that stoic captain america/superman hero when it came down to "taking care of business". You could also add some elements of Thor when it came to the fish out of water stuff on earth.

In some ways the characters before her have been written a bit more as very specific characters with one or two defining traits and I think in the case of the MCU it has worked really well because when you put the characters together on the screen, it's the differences between them that makes the scenes pop. And I think that's also why it's hard to judge Brie Larson yet because we haven't seen her with the Avengers and how she fits into that puzzle. Her character was a bit all over the place in this movie (though some of it is because of the journey she takes) but seeing as she "settles" into her new life at the end of the movie, I would imagine for future appearances that we get a more clear cut character out of her.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2361 on: March 12, 2019, 06:19:30 AM »
I think my biggest "problem" with Captain Marvel is her overwhelming power compared to the other current "good guys". She blows them all out of the water. If she can't kill Thanos with one blow, then the rest of them together couldn't have given him a scratch and never had any hope of stopping him. I fear that her power is going to be very inconsistent. Blow up on entire ship with ease, but fight fight a baddy for a minute before knocking him out.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2362 on: March 12, 2019, 06:24:42 AM »
I think my biggest "problem" with Captain Marvel is her overwhelming power compared to the other current "good guys". She blows them all out of the water. If she can't kill Thanos with one blow, then the rest of them together couldn't have given him a scratch and never had any hope of stopping him. I fear that her power is going to be very inconsistent. Blow up on entire ship with ease, but fight fight a baddy for a minute before knocking him out.

But she's a cosmic level character. And Thanos is a hulking behemoth, a natural warrior. She's not going to be able to just waltz in without breaking a sweat. Don't fear, they got this.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2363 on: March 12, 2019, 06:56:40 AM »

I believe that Hulk and Thor are just as 'strong' as Captain Marvel.  Thor was laying waste to the Outrider landing ships; Hulk took out the Chitauri 'whale' ships.  I'm not concerned that they've made Captain Marvel 'too' powerful.  Hell, in the comics, Hulk once destroyed a planet (or what it a moon) with a single punch.  He's more who I'd be worried about as one of the characters that could be made to be "too" powerful.

The way I see it, CM got her powers (essentially) from the Tesseract/Space Stone.  That's just 1 of the Infinity Stones.  Much like how Vision had his power from the Mind Stone, Thanos dismissed him no problem.  I can see him handling CM without being easily overwhelmed as well.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Adami

« Reply #2364 on: March 12, 2019, 06:57:34 AM »
Jingle's right. Thor, Hulk, and Vision were all overpowered too and Thanos didn't even blink taking them out.

In the comics, Thanos is actually quite more powerful than he was in the movie (not even counting the Infinity Stones). So there might still be considerable depth to his powers that we haven't seen yet.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 07:06:14 AM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2365 on: March 12, 2019, 10:14:35 AM »
Plus, he didn't just kill Vision, he killed him TWICE!   :lol

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2366 on: March 12, 2019, 10:50:41 AM »
Just saw Captain Marvel, have to get these thoughts out. First off: Brie Larson is so f&*%ing attractive it makes my soul hurt. Jesus. Finally some eye candy for the dudes (and unlike how they emphasize Scarlet Witch's cleavage, they don't have to do so for Cap'n Marvelous Holy Shit She's Got It Going On).

Ahem.

- Dedication to Stan Lee immediately got me. Beautifully done.
- I thought Young Fury was a great addition to the movie and Sam Jackson did wonderfully as always.
- The story was surprisingly entertaining. I enjoyed being surprised by the twist between the Kree and Skrulls. Good stuff.
- Goose rules. Biggest laughs came from that little flerker.
- It's so freaking awesome that the MCU finally has their own Super Saiyan. I got goosebumps watching her 'come to life' at the end and just whoop ass left and right like the mortal demigod she is.
- All the complaints about Brie Larson's emotional range. WTF??? She showed plenty of emotion throughout the film and the film makes absolutely no bones about her being an alien super-soldier and Yon-Rogg CONSTANTLY tells her to keep her emotions in check so it's not like there's no reason for her to be stone-faced sometimes, but even then, she's not wooden at all. She did an awesome job all around.
- Loved the suit-changing gimmick, the Tron-like suit was really cool.

And I think I got an even bigger crush watching her dance in a bandanna, Aviators, and a GnR shirt. Be still, my heart.

Overall, awesome film, upper tier MCU flick for me even as an origin story, I don't think it's top 5 but it's certainly close. That said it has thrown my rankings into a frenzy because Spider-man was in my top 5 or 6 and I think I liked this a lot more.

Oh, and the song people have referenced: I liked it actually. I thought it was a nice change from a dramatic score that most of the other films have and it paired well with the action. This film rocks.

Okay... diarrhea of the post over, got all my gut reactions out there.  :biggrin:

ScarJo provides plenty of eye candy, especially in IM2 and Winter Soldier.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2367 on: March 12, 2019, 11:17:11 AM »

I believe that Hulk and Thor are just as 'strong' as Captain Marvel.  Thor was laying waste to the Outrider landing ships; Hulk took out the Chitauri 'whale' ships.  I'm not concerned that they've made Captain Marvel 'too' powerful.  Hell, in the comics, Hulk once destroyed a planet (or what it a moon) with a single punch.  He's more who I'd be worried about as one of the characters that could be made to be "too" powerful.

The way I see it, CM got her powers (essentially) from the Tesseract/Space Stone.  That's just 1 of the Infinity Stones.  Much like how Vision had his power from the Mind Stone, Thanos dismissed him no problem.  I can see him handling CM without being easily overwhelmed as well.

Except Thor and Hulk got their asses handed to them already.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2368 on: March 12, 2019, 11:38:17 AM »
I kinda of resent the narrative I see in the vast majority of articles about CM saying that the box office numbers now finally PROVE that people will turn out for a female led movie.  I don't think that any but a small minority needed any "proof."  Sure, there is a small vocal minority that will hate on any female led movie and try to write it off as radical feminism.  And sure, there is a vocal minority on the other side that screams that we "need" female-led movies because girls can't possibly look at guys as positive role models.  But in the middle, I think the vast majority of us just want a good movie and could not care less whether the primary protagonist is a man or a woman.  We'll go see it because the MCU continues to gain momentum by putting out fun movies that, 21 films in, continue to weave together as part of a huge tapestry.  And we'll enjoy it, not because CM is a woman, but because it's a good film.  I think it insults the integrity of Larson's performance and insults the intelligence of most moviegoers to make it about her being a woman rather than the movie being a good movie.

/rant

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2369 on: March 12, 2019, 11:57:36 AM »

Except Thor and Hulk got their asses handed to them already.

Exactly... so what happened in CM that makes anyone think she is SOOOOOO much more powerful than Hulk/Thor that she could one-punch/blast Thanos and end him?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2370 on: March 12, 2019, 12:03:39 PM »
I mean she did go Super Saiyan and also floated in literal space without a helmet. But yeah.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2371 on: March 12, 2019, 12:24:45 PM »
Snip

ScarJo provides plenty of eye candy, especially in IM2 and Winter Soldier.

Gotta say, I don't think she's all that. When she appeared in the mid credits scene that just made it obvious to me. Good thing it ended on Larson :lol

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2372 on: March 12, 2019, 12:55:41 PM »
I mean she did go Super Saiyan and also floated in literal space without a helmet. But yeah.

So did thor (and he did some damage to Thanos too).
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2373 on: March 12, 2019, 01:29:00 PM »

So did thor (and he did some damage to Thanos too).

Oh yeah. D'oh.

Offline Jay T

• Old Fart
« Reply #2374 on: March 12, 2019, 05:50:57 PM »
I enjoyed it pretty well, and it was certainly better than I thought it'd be. Fury was my favorite character of the film.
I don't know what to write for my signature, so this will have to suffice for now.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2375 on: March 13, 2019, 03:28:49 AM »
I kinda of resent the narrative I see in the vast majority of articles about CM saying that the box office numbers now finally PROVE that people will turn out for a female led movie.  I don't think that any but a small minority needed any "proof."  Sure, there is a small vocal minority that will hate on any female led movie and try to write it off as radical feminism.  And sure, there is a vocal minority on the other side that screams that we "need" female-led movies because girls can't possibly look at guys as positive role models.  But in the middle, I think the vast majority of us just want a good movie and could not care less whether the primary protagonist is a man or a woman.  We'll go see it because the MCU continues to gain momentum by putting out fun movies that, 21 films in, continue to weave together as part of a huge tapestry.  And we'll enjoy it, not because CM is a woman, but because it's a good film.  I think it insults the integrity of Larson's performance and insults the intelligence of most moviegoers to make it about her being a woman rather than the movie being a good movie.

/rant
As I understand it, the proof isn't for audiences but for film studio execs who have typically been reluctant to invest in big budget female-led films on the basis that they wouldn't attract such big audiences. I agree that the general public (notwithstanding a minority of trolls) know this already but studio execs are still catching up.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Adami

« Reply #2376 on: March 13, 2019, 06:56:47 AM »
Continuing my re-watch, just did Iron Man last night.

What a fantastic movie. I forgot how charming Jeff Bridges was before he went all crazy villain at the end.

Also it's amazing how tight and well made this movie is, considering they were making it up as they went and didn't even have a finished script.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2377 on: March 13, 2019, 08:01:09 AM »

/rant
As I understand it, the proof isn't for audiences but for film studio execs who have typically been reluctant to invest in big budget female-led films on the basis that they wouldn't attract such big audiences. I agree that the general public (notwithstanding a minority of trolls) know this already but studio execs are still catching up.
OK, but studio execs aren't some alien species from another planet.  They are human too and should know what the rest of us know, which is that we don't care.  Give us a good film, and we don't care if the star is man, woman, or cat.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2378 on: March 13, 2019, 08:20:53 AM »

/rant
OK, but studio execs aren't some alien species from another planet.  They are human too and should know what the rest of us know, which is that we don't care.  Give us a good film, and we don't care if the star is man, woman, or Raccoon.

FTFY  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Adami

« Reply #2379 on: March 13, 2019, 08:46:30 AM »

/rant
OK, but studio execs aren't some alien species from another planet.  They are human too and should know what the rest of us know, which is that we don't care.  Give us a good film, and we don't care if the star is man, woman, or cat.

Agreed, sadly it's been on record that, in the past, they did not feel that way. Glad they are moving away from that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com