Author Topic: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe v2 (SPOILERS)  (Read 250627 times)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe *SPOILERS* 2
« Reply #2310 on: March 08, 2019, 02:42:06 AM »
Relating to a character was never something I felt I needed to do. I just watch movies for entertainment. Captain Marvel not being relatable isn't going to make me not want to go see the movie. Bad reviews might. I'd like to be up to date though, and there's no way CM is popping up on Netflix before Endgame comes out.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2311 on: March 08, 2019, 04:06:58 AM »
I'd put it as a lower tier Marvel Movie.   Better than Iron Man 2, Thor : Dark World and Incredible Hunk. It's in the next tier up with First Avenger, Dr Strange, Antman & Wasp, GotG2.

Depict that ranking I still enjoyed it quite a bit, Marvel still haven't done anything close to a bad movie (yet).

6.5/10.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2312 on: March 08, 2019, 05:14:52 AM »
The overall balance of reviews seems to be essentially that it's not as amazing or ground-breaking as many would have liked but it's still solid. It's got an 81% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Relating to a character was never something I felt I needed to do. I just watch movies for entertainment. Captain Marvel not being relatable isn't going to make me not want to go see the movie.
Completely agreed. This isn't at all a criticism of Samsara or others who have expressed similar views, it's just something that I've never really understood.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2313 on: March 08, 2019, 07:21:03 AM »
Yeah it was pretty good, I'd agree with those saying it's kinda in the middle to lower-half, not among the worst.

I think some things work really well, for me the stuff that didn't work was mostly the execution of a few things and some of the choices. Without getting too spoilery, the few "emotional" scenes when someone tries to inspire someone else with a speech fell kinda flat for me, and there was a music choice towards the end where the song just felt out of place and took me out of it. I would say it was the opposite of Immigrant Song in Thor Ragnarok when I felt "aww yeah", in this case it was more "oh no".

There was also some weird things structure wise in the first 1/3 of the movie but it was an artistic decision to fit with the plot. I kinda get why they had to structure the movie that way, just for me it felt a bit awkward.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2314 on: March 08, 2019, 09:59:02 AM »
Also, I thought the Daredevil movie with Ben Affleck was pretty good.  I liked his take on Matt Murdock.  I've never seen the TV series.

Its been so long since I saw the movie with Affleck. I'll re-watch it this weekend.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2315 on: March 08, 2019, 10:39:22 AM »
Yeah it was pretty good, I'd agree with those saying it's kinda in the middle to lower-half, not among the worst.

I think some things work really well, for me the stuff that didn't work was mostly the execution of a few things and some of the choices. Without getting too spoilery, the few "emotional" scenes when someone tries to inspire someone else with a speech fell kinda flat for me, and there was a music choice towards the end where the song just felt out of place and took me out of it. I would say it was the opposite of Immigrant Song in Thor Ragnarok when I felt "aww yeah", in this case it was more "oh no".

There was also some weird things structure wise in the first 1/3 of the movie but it was an artistic decision to fit with the plot. I kinda get why they had to structure the movie that way, just for me it felt a bit awkward.

I know the exact song you're talking about, and yeah I did a slight facepalm there as well. As to the structure, I didn't mind that at all, I figured when dealing with missing memory and whatnot, there'd be some jumbling.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2316 on: March 08, 2019, 10:42:34 AM »
Daredevil (with Affleck) ain't bad. Though I've heard the director's cut isn't bad, but the theatrical is. So maybe that's what I saw. I saw it once and thought it was okay. Silly, campy, like a middle step between Batman Forever and X-Men, if that makes sense.

Anywho, saw Captain Marvel last night.

I was pleasantly surprised. My main reviewers, most of them anyway, REALLY didn't like it. They didn't hate it, but I think they'd call it worst Marvel movie.

A lot of the criticisms are very valid. The movie has very little direction or message. Carol Danvers doesn't have much personality (but she has...a little) and it's a bit all over the place tone wise. All very valid.

In fact, I'd say the first half is downright mediocre, and I was worried for how it will go. Luckily the 2nd half is much much better.

I'd say this would have been a great phase 1 movie. But we're at a point with Marvel where directors are putting in a lot of character into their movies. I know Ryan Coogler directed Black Panther, or that the Russo's did their movies, or that Peyten Reed did Ant-Man or that Waititi did Ragnarok because those movies have a very strong vision and direction. This movie........didn't. It's more like Thor 2 or something where anyone could have directed it. Not a lot of strong vision going on, which we expect from Marvel these days. I hope they give her much more personality in Endgame (I have faith in Marcus and McFeely for that) and her sequels. Get new writers/directors for those sequels though. These guys aren't the right choice, sorry.

But yea, a lot more to say, but that's the gist of it. I'd agree with a 6.5/10 rating. I really enjoyed it, but it's bottom half of Marvel (which is still good quality).
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2317 on: March 08, 2019, 04:51:33 PM »
The Affleck Daredevil was decent.  Pretty good for that era, but suffers in comparison to the MCU.  As I recall, the movie was originally a pretty low-budget affair, but after the box office success of the first Spider-Man movie, the studio threw a bunch more money in for the FX.   

The Director's Cut is better, IMO.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2318 on: March 08, 2019, 09:37:31 PM »
I have tickets to see Captain Marvel at 3pm tomorrow. 

After watching a movie every couple of weeks for the last several months, I finally got current.  Rewatched Infinity War last weekend, and watching Ant Man/Wasp tonight. 

I'll give my thoughts when I get home tomorrow.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2319 on: March 09, 2019, 06:45:17 AM »
I thought Captain Marvel was good, but suffered form the typical generic-ness of almost all Marvel movies. It was still a fun movie, probably somewhere in the middle of the pack for the best MCU movies.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2320 on: March 09, 2019, 08:22:14 AM »
Taking the kids to see it tonight. I’m sure they’ll enjoy it.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2321 on: March 09, 2019, 08:50:41 AM »
It was very solid, but I wasn't a fan of who they casted as Mar-Vell. The Doctor Strange casting was one thing, but this was ridiculous. The Stan Lee cameo was very cute. The first post credits scene was a great teaser for Endgame

Online Adami

« Reply #2322 on: March 09, 2019, 09:05:39 AM »
It was very solid, but I wasn't a fan of who they casted as Mar-Vell. The Doctor Strange casting was one thing, but this was ridiculous. The Stan Lee cameo was very cute. The first post credits scene was a great teaser for Endgame

I had no problem with the casting for Mar-Vell. I just had a problem with it being a nothing role. Mar-Vell had almost no impact on anything, and that was a shame.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Adami

« Reply #2323 on: March 09, 2019, 10:01:23 AM »
Also, while very very short, I was very moved by the Stan Lee cameo. Maybe it's also because I'm a giant Kevin Smith fan (not all of his movies) as well as fan of Kevin Smith as a person and his relationship with Stan. I know Kevin posted a response to seeing the cameo saying he started crying and how moved he was by it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2324 on: March 09, 2019, 08:15:27 PM »
Most of what you guys said is pretty spot on.   I myself was actually hoping for it to be as good or better than Wonder Woman, and I don't think it achieved that.   But it was really good.  7/10, and still no duds in the official MCU film series. 

I disagree with the consensus that the first half of the film was klunky (or other similar adjective).   I found it to be a bit jarring, but that was fitting with the confusion that the main character was going through.   So I felt like it worked. 

But ya....that song choice....classic definition of "forcing".    Totally fell flat.   

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2325 on: March 10, 2019, 03:35:34 AM »
I'm someone who doesn't care at all about the female aspect of the movie. I grew up reading comic books and there were a bunch of superheroes I thought were amazing. Sure, some I connected to more, like Spider-Man, the fact that Peter Parker like myself was a young white man definitely helped, but there were plenty of characters with not much likeliness to myself that I still enjoyed and appreciated on other levels.

Going into Captain Marvel I don't care it's a female hero and not male, if anything it offers some variety and in the case of MCU we've been waiting for it for a while (though most of us probably though Black Widow would come first). I took issue with the choice of a song that was really on the nose because to me, that's when the filmmakers decided that for a few minutes they would stop treating it seriously and they would acknowledge the sexist view point of a movie like this, "hey look she's a girl and she's kicking everyone's ass".

I'm not much for politics in movies and I don't really care either way about the importance in society that Black Panther or Captain Marvel brings, I only go into these movies to see entertaining movies. I don't know, THAT scene in Captain Marvel definitely felt like a step back, like those scenes you used to see in 90s or 80s movies. I feel like in 2019, and also following Wonder Woman, there shouldn't be a need for that scene that winks to the audience and says "hey, look this girl is badass and she can beat the boys".

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2326 on: March 10, 2019, 06:33:36 AM »
But ya....that song choice....classic definition of "forcing".    Totally fell flat.

It was a rather tragic choice, no doubt.  Ya know, Queen's "Don't Stop Me Now" would've been pretty cool there.

I feel like in 2019, and also following Wonder Woman, there shouldn't be a need for that scene that winks to the audience and says "hey, look this girl is badass and she can beat the boys".

I agree, with the bold in emphasis.  But that's our - a bunch of guys - perspective.  I'm curious if females audience-goers have a different take or not.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2327 on: March 10, 2019, 07:49:38 AM »
The whole "I'm just a girl" thing didn't resonate with me either, nor was it likely meant to. I'd be curious how many women felt empowered by it. I personally never feel empowered by white men gaining super powers and kicking ass, but maybe some do.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2328 on: March 10, 2019, 03:15:08 PM »
Enjoyed Captain Marvel.....if I were to grade it I’d go maybe 7/10. My kiddos loved it......I liked how it showcased her unleashed power which will come in handy.

The whole "I'm just a girl" thing didn't resonate with me either, nor was it likely meant to. I'd be curious how many women felt empowered by it. I personally never feel empowered by white men gaining super powers and kicking ass, but maybe some do.

Yeah....I know it’s not aimed at men but me personally.....and this is going to sound real mean or bad or whatever.....but I’m completely ‘over’ this girl power stuff. I understand the reasoning behind it....yes it’s true.....it used to really suck to be a woman in certain aspects. Got it. There’s been a significant amount of awareness raised and progress made.....sure there’s still some to go......but for me....there’s making your point and then there’s going over the top. Thought the ‘message’ in this one was a bit over the top.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2329 on: March 10, 2019, 03:26:37 PM »
In a lot of regards, there's much more than just "still some to go" and it's a shame that these sorts of things are putting people off.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2330 on: March 10, 2019, 04:11:23 PM »
In a lot of regards, there's much more than just "still some to go" and it's a shame that these sorts of things are putting people off.

I’m not intending to start a P/R debate over the topic.....only suggesting that for ME these heavy handed over the top methods that some Movies, TV shows...entertainers/entertainment  in general use to ‘educate’ us on a topic are more offputting to me than helping their cause.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2331 on: March 10, 2019, 04:13:05 PM »
I want to underline that it wasn't the song....or the message...or anything of a sort that I objected to.  It was completely about the "feel" of the music as juxtaposed to the climactic fight with the baddie.

If you had to pick a 90s "girl power" anthem, "Bitch" would have worked a lot better.   There are certainly other choices as well.   Anything from Morrisette would have had a much more "aggressive" and kick ass feel that fit the scene better.    It was strictly the "mood" of the music itself that felt off.   

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2332 on: March 10, 2019, 06:37:25 PM »

It’s not the message itself, it’s the overkill, over the top, in your face vibe from a lot of these movies and shows.

But I liked the movie. Deff a bottom tier Marvel movie for me but still descent. 7/10. The thing that killed it for me is that it felt this movie was from phase 1, a movie that would’ve benefit from being released in 2011-2012
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online Adami

« Reply #2333 on: March 10, 2019, 06:46:13 PM »
The only part of the movie that felt even slightly “in your face” was the last fight song. That’s it. Nothing else about this movie seemed preachy at all.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2334 on: March 10, 2019, 09:05:38 PM »
The only part of the movie that felt even slightly “in your face” was the last fight song. That’s it. Nothing else about this movie seemed preachy at all.

Exactly how I felt...other than that song choice I actually loved the girl power aspect of the film. The montage of her as a kid getting up and dusting herself off was especially wonderful, and is definitely something I would want my daughter to see. (granted with my kid, she was at the first showing as well so there was no convincing needed #nerddad)

Online Adami

« Reply #2335 on: March 10, 2019, 09:16:28 PM »
The songs in general were way too on the nose. Guardians knew how to do that, but these guys didn't.

But the idea of her being strong isn't "girl power", it's just people power. She just happens to be a girl. I've only seen it once but I don't recall anyone ever making a big deal out of her being a girl. She was just a super strong hero (with very little personality) that just happened to be a girl.

Luckily, it seems the people with an anti-Cap Marvel agenda did not screw anything up. Movie made almost half a billion opening weekend.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2336 on: March 11, 2019, 04:41:15 AM »
I like No Doubt and think they have made some good songs but like others said it was the clash of the tone of the song with the tone of the movie. And also, maybe just my personal preference but I like subtle use of music. I think music can enhance and if you pick the right music with a scene it can make it awesome (as I said before Immigrant Song in Thor Ragnarok was so great) but then like someone else said, I'm not a woman so their attempt at "female empowerment" flew over my head and I'd be curious to hear how the female part of the audience felt about it.

But I'm trying to imagine the counter part, like a Superman movie and a scene when he goes full badass mode IF they were to play some song about how awesome men are and I thought I would feel equally cringe over it.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2337 on: March 11, 2019, 06:11:46 AM »
There were enough subtle and appropriate ways to highlight the "woman" issue - "I have nothing to prove to you", and then dragging him to his little ship. Using that tune was forced and contrived, and that is my beef.

But as Adams said, my bigger beef is her lack or personality and charisma. I'm not sure if that's how the character was intended to be - a stoic Kree Warrior - but I think it would've been appropriate that , she could have regained her humanity as she regained her memories. Even the exchange with Monica was dull and flat.

it felt this movie was from phase 1, a movie that would’ve benefit from being released in 2011-2012

BINGO!  But that didn't "kill it" for me personally. We've been spoi led with the recent batch of movies - especially Civil War and Infinity War- in the complexities and intricacies of them.  Now a simple origin story comes out, and it seems to feel like a step back for some. Not me, I thought it was as good as any of the origin stories.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2338 on: March 11, 2019, 07:14:40 AM »
but then like someone else said, I'm not a woman so their attempt at "female empowerment" flew over my head and I'd be curious to hear how the female part of the audience felt about it.
Incredibly tiny and obviously unrepresentative sample, but the three women I know who have seen it and posted about it on Facebook or Twitter absolutely loved the film.

Likewise I'm also interested in the wider picture. IMDB ratings are 8.0 average for women and 6.9 for men, but the latter will be skewed by *some* trolls rating it 1 star simply because it's female led, as evident from the overall rating distribution: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4154664/ratings?ref_=tt_ov_rt

I be am boner inducing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2339 on: March 11, 2019, 08:52:23 AM »
Most of what you guys said is pretty spot on.   I myself was actually hoping for it to be as good or better than Wonder Woman, and I don't think it achieved that.   But it was really good.  7/10, and still no duds in the official MCU film series. 

Yeah, it didn't come anywhere near WW, and it's too bad.  For me, the movie overall was "good."  It was standard Marvel fair, it was fun and told a good story, and it moved the ball forward in advancing and expanding the MCU storyline.  That, in and of itself, would have maybe put it around 7.5  / 10.  But to me, it had some glaring flaws that took me out of the moment to the point that, the more I think about them, the more jarring and frustrating they are.  Maybe I'm overanalyzing, or maybe I need to see it again to put them in context, but here are my two major issues:

1.  How Fury lost an eye:  First off, we didn't need this.  That in and of itself isn't necessarily a "problem" or a reason to feel that the film was dragged down.  But it is a problem when something that is completely unnecessary is also completely mishandled.  I have two major problems with this sequence.  First, by this time, Fury had come to realize that Goose was a Flerken, and that Flerkens can be incredibly dangerous.  There is absolutely NO reason for him to have been so stupid as to continue treating it like a cat and going nose to nose making cutesy noises with the business end of Goose.  That's like an experienced agent playing around with a gun and holding it to his face staring down the barrel.  There's just NO WAY that that ever happens.  Second, when Goose scratches him, he is totally nonchalant about it in that moment and for the rest of the film.  "Oh, er...ow.  Oh well, let's go to Maria's have have some dinner, and I'll help with the dishes.  And, uh, no problem, I'll just take Goose back to base with me too.  We'll all good."  This really made no sense at all.  Yeah, it's a super hero film, not a deep drama.  But it still needs to make sense within its own universe.  Unless I'm missing something (and I could be), this sequence makes zero sense, and as such, really takes me out of the experience of the movie.  And the fact that it didn't even need to be in there at all makes its mishandling even more egregious.

2.  They mishandled her overpoweredness.  Her being able to cut through a Kree warship without barely even thinking about it is impressive enough.  And from everything that's been said about the character, that's barely even the tip of the iceberg.  And yet, at other times, her energy blasts just...knock people down and maybe stun them a bit.  So...which is it?  The movie could never make up its mind.  Granted, when you get into the realm of having such overpowered characters, that is always a huge challenge.  But in a universe as rich and well developed as the MCU, I feel like the audience was owed a better effort to balance this than what we got. 

To me, these are HUGE flaws that drag it down to a 5.5 or 6.

That said, I still enjoyed it.  There were a lot of very cool things going on.  The montage of her getting up and dusting herself off was amazing.  The humor was done really well.  I loved that Goose actually was a Flerken.  Talos was one of the best aspects of the film.  And the story, as a whole, was a good one.  It's just too bad they couldn't have figured out some of the things that dragged it down for me.  To me, these are not simply "personal preference" issues.  They are actual flaws--mistakes that could and should have been avoided.  And that's a quality issue. 

I disagree with the consensus that the first half of the film was klunky (or other similar adjective).   I found it to be a bit jarring, but that was fitting with the confusion that the main character was going through.   So I felt like it worked.

I think it not only worked, but worked really well.  It was a good idea that served the story.  I had zero problem with it.

I knew about it in advance.  I had seen a reference.  So when it started, I was not surprised at all.  And I couldn't help but involuntarily shake my head.  But here's the thing--I wasn't shaking my head in disapproval.  I was shaking my had and smiling because...well, it was fitting and fun.  And when I say "fun," I mean that it just felt like an appropriate level of quirky, awkward self-awareness that fit with the overall tone of the film pretty well.  This could have been a very serious story.  And maybe there is a good argument to be made that it "should" have been more serious and stayed away from the light, comical "Ragnarok" tone.  But it is what it is, and that moment at least felt genuine and consistent to me with the overall tone of the film.  Maybe it was just a bit too much for some.  I get that.  But as with some of the other "issues" many had with the film, I had zero problem with this.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 07:55:19 AM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Adami

« Reply #2340 on: March 11, 2019, 08:56:18 AM »
Totally agree on Fury's eye. By that point, I was like "wait, it's near the end and he still has his eye, that's cool that they just tricked us and won't add.....ohhhh never mind, that's dumb"

As far as your 2nd point about her powers, I'd imagine it's not a 0 or 100 thing. She can likely control how much power she's exerting. She can rip through a ship when she wants, but if she doesn't want to really hurt you, she can probably just hold back. At least at the end. Before that, she wasn't even sure how powerful she could be.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #2341 on: March 11, 2019, 09:55:40 AM »
Enjoyed it quite a bit. A couple of thoughts:

. I'm not asking for, I flat out DEMAND a spin-off: The Adventures of Goose & Young Fury.

. I took the music choices as pretty decent Gen X '90's landscape building. Felt nothing on the nose, but maybe my nose is too thick or I just refuse to consider a superpowered girl's tale as symbol for empowered women.

. The overpowered thing didn't irk me, neither did an origin story at this stage, but I'm a bit puzzled by such an overpowered  character's introduction at this stage of the saga, if it makes sense. Feels a bit deus ex-machina, but we'll see how things are going to pan out.

. One of my cats is a Goose carbon copy, and it usually sleeps with us. I don't feel very comfortable right now.

Online Adami

« Reply #2342 on: March 11, 2019, 09:58:36 AM »
I've heard a lot of people (not just here) worry about Carol being a deus ex-machina for Endgame. I get that. At the same time, I highly doubt the Russo's made a 3 hour movie where Carol just punches Thanos and wins. You know?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #2343 on: March 11, 2019, 10:09:02 AM »
I know, and I'm hopeful. Honestly, I also hope to see Thanos not just going down as the obvious big baddie, but to redeem himself contributing towards a new unexpected enemy's defeat. Then again, we'll see.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2344 on: March 11, 2019, 10:20:54 AM »
I've heard a lot of people (not just here) worry about Carol being a deus ex-machina for Endgame. I get that. At the same time, I highly doubt the Russo's made a 3 hour movie where Carol just punches Thanos and wins. You know?

I've never read the comics and do not know the 'story' behind all of this.....are the movies following the comics/story closely or are they taking liberties and just using them as a reference or blue print?