Author Topic: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe v2 (SPOILERS)  (Read 251455 times)

Offline kaos2900

Re: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe *SPOILERS* 2
« Reply #2240 on: February 21, 2019, 07:33:06 AM »
Captain Marvel is getting really good reviews from the first viewing. In some ways I'm more excited for this than I am for End Game. Will be a really solid appetizer for the main course.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2241 on: February 27, 2019, 08:24:05 AM »
Just finished Iron Fist S1 last night.  Not a bad story.  It was fun seeing allies and enemies constantly shift as circumstances changed, with Danny even having to essentially go to Gao for help toward the end. 

Now on to Defenders.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2242 on: February 27, 2019, 09:00:49 AM »
Just finished Iron Fist S1 last night.  Not a bad story.  It was fun seeing allies and enemies constantly shift as circumstances changed, with Danny even having to essentially go to Gao for help toward the end. 

But did you get he's the inmortal Iron Fist, defender of Kun Lunn, sworn enemy of the hand?
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2243 on: February 27, 2019, 09:07:54 AM »

But did you get he's the inmortal Iron Fist, defender of Kun Lunn, sworn enemy of the hand?
Oh, that was in there?  ???  Must have missed it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2244 on: February 27, 2019, 09:56:57 AM »
Did you at least notice that his name is Danny Rand?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2245 on: February 27, 2019, 10:02:27 AM »
I was severely disappointed in S1 of Iron Fist. S2 was better. Defenders was OK.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2246 on: March 02, 2019, 08:05:50 AM »
I was severely disappointed in S1 of Iron Fist. S2 was better. Defenders was OK.
This.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2247 on: March 03, 2019, 08:27:41 PM »
Captain Marvel this week, I’m not excited because of the movie itself, but because it means we are closer to Avengers.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2248 on: March 03, 2019, 08:39:40 PM »
Already bought my tickets in advance.   I am in full on MCU geek mode.   Ever since Ant Man/Wasp came out, I started at the beginning, and every couple of weeks I watched every single film in order and watched IW last night.   I will watch Ant Man/Wasp again on Friday night, and then go see Captain Marvel Saturday afternoon. 

I can't believe the hype isn't even bigger than it already is.   Everyone should be relishing this moment.   2019 is going to be the "peak" of the MCU.   I have a feeling that there will might be a drop off in quality after Phase 3 is finished.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2249 on: March 03, 2019, 09:06:38 PM »
I can't believe the hype isn't even bigger than it already is.   Everyone should be relishing this moment.   2019 is going to be the "peak" of the MCU.   I have a feeling that there will might be a drop off in quality after Phase 3 is finished.   

Thats a very strong possibility, considering most of the original Avengers characters are going to leave, die, be written out, or just getting less prominent roles in the future MCU movies to make room for the newer characters they've been introducing in the last couple years (BP, CM, Spidey...)
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2250 on: March 03, 2019, 09:12:41 PM »

Thats a very strong possibility, considering most of the original Avengers characters are going to leave, die, be written out, or just getting less prominent roles in the future MCU movies to make room for the newer characters they've been introducing in the last couple years (BP, CM, Spidey...)

Of course....if they manage to make an X-Men film that hits it out of the park, then all bets are off.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2251 on: March 03, 2019, 09:42:34 PM »

Online Adami

« Reply #2252 on: March 03, 2019, 09:53:02 PM »
Marvel is not planning an Avengers Vs. X Men movie.

We probably won’t get an x-men movie for 4-5 years as is. That’s assuming they don’t keep them separate under the Fox label.

If the quality goes down, it has nothing to do with the cast retiring. None of these people were big beloved stars before Marvel. Except RDJ who was at the lowest point of his career. Marvel doesn’t seem to have any problem propelling nobodies to huge beloved A listers.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2253 on: March 03, 2019, 10:14:07 PM »
Marvel is not planning an Avengers Vs. X Men movie.

We probably won’t get an x-men movie for 4-5 years as is. That’s assuming they don’t keep them separate under the Fox label.

If the quality goes down, it has nothing to do with the cast retiring. None of these people were big beloved stars before Marvel. Except RDJ who was at the lowest point of his career. Marvel doesn’t seem to have any problem propelling nobodies to huge beloved A listers.

No :angel:

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2254 on: March 05, 2019, 02:53:54 AM »
I think it's safe to say the X-Men universe will go on a bit of a break before Marvel try to launch their version.

1. Dark Phoenix has been delayed and there were a lot of reports coming out from people with insight that the movie was not in good shape and they were considering not even releasing it for a while, which I guess has changed since we got a trailer the other week. But apparently it's a bit of a Josh Trank/Fantastic Four debacle all over again.

2. New Mutants which has been pushed back 2 or 3 times, apparently it came out yesterday (or day before) that they hadn't started their scheduled reshoots of the movie yet.

If I were to guess I think they will let X-Men rest for at least a few years as IF we get Dark Phoenix soon, the current X-Men will be so fresh in our minds that some time is needed. Also Marvel are going strong with the MCU and already have the next few years mapped out. Personally I think we might get a MCU-Fantastic Four before they reboot X-Men as Fantastic Four already has a few years behind it and I think MCU are eager to show that you can make a good FF-movie after 2 (3 if you count the '90s one) failed attempts to launch it as a franchise. X-Men is definitely a tougher nut to crack as Fox did a pretty good job with it. Not all X-Men movies were great but some of them were really good, and I would argue in most cases they nailed the casting pretty good too.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2255 on: March 05, 2019, 06:57:02 AM »
I have no reason to believe that the quality of the MCU films will drop off. I'm actually excited for the new characters they'll be bringing in. 

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2256 on: March 05, 2019, 07:57:46 AM »
I'd definitely like to see them take their time with the X-Men, but it will inevitably happen in the MCU. Fantastic Four I honestly couldn't care less about.

Online Adami

« Reply #2257 on: March 05, 2019, 07:59:53 AM »
Honestly, I'm not completely convinced X-Men will be in the MCU.

It's certainly possible, and I am pretty confident certain characters will be able to join, but I dunno. Hard for the MCU to exist this long and THEN introduce an entire new species that has been around for decades and not been noticed.

Plus, from what i can see, Deadpool will stay with Fox either way. I can see X-Men just being under Fox, but under the control of MCU so that the quality goes way up but that there really isn't crossover.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2258 on: March 05, 2019, 09:27:29 AM »
So far, for the most part, everything the MCU has tried has worked pretty well and been pretty good quality.  I can't really predict a fall-off or a particular direction beyond what they have told us.

Online Adami

« Reply #2259 on: March 05, 2019, 10:13:15 AM »
So apparently Captain Marvel is not getting very good reviews. Nothing....awful, but mostly "meh." Thus far. Ah well.

Today starts my big re-watch before Endgame. Gonna watch them chronologically (in universe). So tonight I start with First Avenger, then Thursday is Captain Marvel, then Iron Man etc. Until Endgame in April. Woooo!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2260 on: March 05, 2019, 10:16:24 AM »
Already bought my tickets in advance.   I am in full on MCU geek mode.   Ever since Ant Man/Wasp came out, I started at the beginning, and every couple of weeks I watched every single film in order and watched IW last night.   I will watch Ant Man/Wasp again on Friday night, and then go see Captain Marvel Saturday afternoon. 

I am being lazy, but is there a chronological list of the films? I'd go through them 1 by 1 if so...

Captain Marvel doesn't excite me at all. I never even knew of the character, and then when I heard about it, I picked up issue #1 of the new volume of the comic series that started in January to check it out. I made it halfway through. It was written entirely for a teenage girl. While I get that, and realize that most comics were written for boys back in the day, I found the issue to be unreadable. It really soured me on the movie. I'll see it, of course, but my expectations are very, very low. I expect to not like it.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2261 on: March 05, 2019, 10:26:38 AM »
Honestly, I'm not completely convinced X-Men will be in the MCU.

It's certainly possible, and I am pretty confident certain characters will be able to join, but I dunno. Hard for the MCU to exist this long and THEN introduce an entire new species that has been around for decades and not been noticed.

Plus, from what i can see, Deadpool will stay with Fox either way. I can see X-Men just being under Fox, but under the control of MCU so that the quality goes way up but that there really isn't crossover.
I could see that as well, but I suspect they will join the MCU at some point. I wouldn't be surprised is Endgame somehow opens a window for them to join via alternate realities or the quantum realm or something like that. The biggest issue will be how to introduce a group of superheros that have existed for decades yet have not been mentioned so far in the MCU.

There's a little jab at the MCU in the most recent Dark Phoenix trailer which I think is rather clever. At one point there's a military group holding the X-Men hostage and their uniforms all say MCU on them.
https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/03/01/x-men-dark-phoenix-trailer-mcu-hunting-mutants/

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2262 on: March 05, 2019, 01:12:13 PM »
The current MCU movies, and the years in which they take place, are as follows:

1943-1945: Captain America: The First Avenger
2010: Iron Man
2011: Iron Man 2, The Incredible Hulk, Thor
2012: The Avengers: Iron Man 3
2013: Thor: The Dark World
2014: Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
2015: Avengers: Age of Ultron, Ant-Man
2016: Captain America: Civil War, Spider-Man: Homecoming
2016-2017: Doctor Strange
2017: Black Panther, Thor Ragnarok, Avengers: Infinity War

They have acknowledged that this makes the dated subtitle at the beginning of Spider-Man technically incorrect. But this is now the official list.

I own them all on Blu-Ray.  :loser:

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2263 on: March 05, 2019, 01:13:23 PM »
Thanks my man. I shall begin my MCU watch this evening!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2264 on: March 05, 2019, 01:23:51 PM »
Yeah, there are a few problems with that timeline.  But that's basically it.  You just have to ignore some of the little problems that following that timeline literally creates (and there aren't that many problems, really).  I just find it more helpful to imagine that Doctor Strange actually happened in around 2013 and to ignore the Spiderman timeline glitch.  That pretty much fixes it. 

You did also leave off Ant Man 2 taking place contemporaneously with Infinity War.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2265 on: March 05, 2019, 02:32:11 PM »
Wow, what an awful review:  https://www.indiewire.com/2019/03/captain-marvel-review-1202048795/

(slightly spoilery, maybe?)

So many inaccuracies, naked biases, and flat-out instances of just not getting what the MCU films are all about.  I was a bit nervous about the film from reading the lead on that.  Thankfully, it only took me until encountering his use of the term "mansplain" four lines in to reveal that I could probably disregard most of what was being said.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2266 on: March 05, 2019, 02:38:51 PM »
The reviews seem mixed, and I'm minded to agree with bosk from the ones I've seen that the more critical (or at least, the ones that are calling it disappointing) seem to be mostly, though not all, in the context of expecting something ground-breaking and different, and therefore a normal Marvel origin movie feels anti-climactic. I get that I guess but I also don't need every Marvel film to be groundbreaking, and indeed they're not.

But yeah some reviews have been really positive. So I'll just see it and make up my own mind!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2267 on: March 05, 2019, 02:52:11 PM »
The reviews seem mixed, and I'm minded to agree with bosk from the ones I've seen that the more critical (or at least, the ones that are calling it disappointing) seem to be mostly, though not all, in the context of expecting something ground-breaking and different, and therefore a normal Marvel origin movie feels anti-climactic. I get that I guess but I also don't need every Marvel film to be groundbreaking, and indeed they're not.

I haven't read any reviews other than the one I linked above (the lead got my attention).  But, yeah, I get what you are saying.  That really seemed to be the thrust with that review.  He was expecting something the movie was never meant to be, and he actually seemed to be reviewing very little of the movie itself outside of it not meeting those erroneous expectations.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2268 on: March 05, 2019, 02:52:50 PM »
Eh, they should have gone with Black Widow as the first female-led MCU movie. But at least they’re finally making it. I had low expectations for CM anyway, just something to bide time until Endgame.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2269 on: March 05, 2019, 02:55:12 PM »
I still have zero desire to see a Black Widow movie.  She was "okay" in IM 2.  I thought she was great in the first 20 minutes of Avengers.  And she had a few moments in Winter Soldier.  But other than that, the character is pretty bland.  But then again, most of the MCU is about characters that I never really cared much about, and has done a pretty great job of making the films interesting, so I am prepared to be pleasantly surprised.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2270 on: March 05, 2019, 02:56:54 PM »
I guess I'd be labeled as somewhat of an 'outsider' when it comes to the Marvel movies. I've watched 'most' of them because my kids really like them....and the ones I've seen I've really liked. But I will say.....I think the level of 'hype' or 'awesomeness' is a bit inflated by the large Marvel audience out there....and maybe rightfully so if the opinion is they're 'nailing' these characters and what not.

I personally just see them as pretty entertaining movies with some cool effects and action and what not....but haven't put them on this level of superiority that I see the die hard Marvel fans doing. To me they're just really good action movies.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online Adami

« Reply #2271 on: March 05, 2019, 03:08:33 PM »
The reviews I've seen, from people I trust, have been that this was essentially a Phase 1 movie. So it has a predictable and kind of generic plot we've seen before. Doesn't make it bad, but when it comes after Black Panther, Thor 3, Infinity War, and so forth, it just comes off as meh.

Personally, I think they should have released this movie back around the time of Avengers and then just never brought her back until Endgame. That way when see the beeper, we're like "OH CRAP SHE'S COMING BACK".

Either way, I'll go in expecting a decent, normal Marvel movie.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2272 on: March 05, 2019, 03:31:15 PM »
Well, but I think we're getting away from one of the most important things we should be doing here at DTF.  One of the things that is such a core of this forum's very being and identity.  What we really should be doing here is...ranking them!

Here's mine:

1.  Avengers: Infinity War - What a huge undertaking.  And so well done.  It is amazing that such a huge film could somehow feel short.  They really brought all the pieces that have been building over the years together in such a satisfying way.
2.  The Avengers - Speaking of bringing the pieces together, this first effort in assembling the hitherto separate team did such a masterful job.  We've had so many movies that it's easy to forget what an undertaking this was and how well they knocked it out of the park.
3.  Spiderman: Homecoming - Such a fun and satisfying take on the character of Spiderman.  It's just so much fun that it's hard to not love it.  There's nothing groundbreaking about it, but it still works.
4.  Thor Ragnarok:  This was such a left turn for the Thor subfranchise, but it absolutely worked.  It was so goofy and quirky, and so fun and cool at the same time.  The only problem I had is that the scale of Asgard as a world and how quickly and easily it got exterminated seemed off.  Rather than making Hela seem so formidable, it just made me feel like Asgard was not all that.  And that cheapened the stakes that seemed so high when Thor had his visions in Age of Ultron.  This film seemed to unintentionally undermine that a bit.  And yet...it's still awesome.
5.  Iron Man - The stakes weren't that high, and the "villain" wasn't that great.  But that's okay.  As an origin story, it worked.  And it was so solid an origin story that the entire MCU has been able to build on it for 21 films. 
6.  Age of Ultron - Yeah, I'm probably in the minority for ranking this so high, but I liked it and can't really find any flaws.  Well, actually, here's one that is a common beef I have with a lot of modern stories: the timeline of events was too tight/short.  Ultron needed to go into hiding for at least several months to secretly build the infrastructure for his plan on Sokovia.  The movie itself didn't need to be longer.  But they just needed to show more passage of time to make it more realistic instead of everything happening virtually instantaneously.
7.  Captain America: The First Avenger - I struggled with where to put this one, but I guess it goes here.  Good way to take the traditional origin of the character and make it fit our modern world.  And it really set up a solid character in Steve Rogers.
8.  Iron Man 3 - Say what you will, but I really liked this film.  It had its flaws.  But the false Mandarin plot was brilliant, IMO.  And the subplot of Tony's fragile emotional state after the battle of NY was really important and pretty well done.
9.  Doctor Strange - Um...yet another Marvel character I never really liked or cared for that was brought to screen in a way that made me like and care for the character.  Lots of fun effects.  I again have the same timeline criticism though.  It needed more passage of time to make it more believable.
10.  Captain America: The Winter Soldier - I don't love this one, but it was good.  And the consequences for future films were pretty big.
11.  Guardians of the Galaxy - I probably don't have to sell anybody on how much unexpected fun this movie was.  The 12-year-old humor crossed the line too many times for this to rank higher, or it could be perhaps top 5.
12.  Captain America: Civil War - Good idea, but for some reason, this one just fell a bit flat for me.  The two sides weren't really fighting and didn't really even want to.  The stakes were supposed to be high.  But they didn't really feel that high.
13.  The Incredible Hulk - Didn't immediately love it.  But looking back, it was pretty good.
14.  Ant Man and Wasp - Intentionally low stakes, and that was fine.  Intentionally funny, and good at it.  This film intentionally did what it set out to do.
15.  Black Panther - Not bad by any stretch.  But I don't love it either.
16.  Ant-Man - Same.  But Black Panther was better.
17.  Thor: The Dark World -  Oh, Thor.  I loved you in the comics.  I love you as a character in the films.  But I don't love your solo films.  But that said, I do like them quite a bit.
18.  Iron Man 2 - The second installment in the Tony Stark saga worked just fine.  Tony was figuring himself out.  Cool.  Just wasn't as much fun as the films that rank above it.
19.  Thor - It wasn't bad.  But I had high expectations, and this film didn't come close to meeting them. 
20.  Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - It certainly had some cool moments.  But easily my least favorite of the bunch.  And all the stuff that had little or nothing to do with Ego was far more interesting and fun than what the bulk of the film was about. 
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 08:07:21 AM by bosk1 »

Online faizoff

« Reply #2273 on: March 05, 2019, 03:36:22 PM »
I will have to think about the ranking, as usual as it ends up with me, I tend to have tiers.

I will be seeing Captain Marvel in Imax on Thursday. Should be fun.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2274 on: March 05, 2019, 03:38:45 PM »
I will be seeing Captain Marvel in Imax on Thursday. Should be fun.

I just copies the list of all of them, put IW at the top knowing that that is my favorite, and kept going back to the remaining list each time and asking myself what was my favorite of the ones left. 

Even having done it that way, other than my top 3 and my bottom 2 or so, anything on the list could move up or down a couple of spots on any given day.