Author Topic: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe v2 (SPOILERS)  (Read 248594 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe *SPOILERS* 2
« Reply #2205 on: February 14, 2019, 04:48:42 AM »
I'd heard Phase 4 is going to split into 2 different directions -  1 Cosmic (Marvel, Strange, Fantastic Four etc..., and 1 Earth-bound heroes (Spidey, Cap, Widow, Panther etc...).  Can't remember if that was mentioned here or somewhere else.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2206 on: February 14, 2019, 08:15:25 AM »
Not here.  I find that people rarely discuss Marvel here anymore.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #2207 on: February 14, 2019, 08:32:45 AM »
Regarding Captain Marvel, I was totally unfamiliar with the character. Marvel started a new volume of the comic to basically coincide with the movie release this year, as issue #1 was released last month. So on my weekly trip to pick up stuff in my saver, I picked it up. I got through half of it. Its written for teenage girls almost.

Again, that's my first ever exposure to anything Captain Marvel-related, except for the movie trailer. And if THAT'S where they are headed, its an easy pass. I'm sure the films will be a lot better and balanced, but my Lord the comic is not written for males in my age group (40s).
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2208 on: February 14, 2019, 08:53:46 AM »
Well no, generally speaking a female heroine that represents many aspects of feminism is not written solely for men in their 40's.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2209 on: February 14, 2019, 10:23:08 AM »
Not solely, no, but it's still a Marvel comic book and there's still a "Marvel audience".  Each of the heroes has personality/demographic types that they attract, and certainly a female hero has a greater potential to draw female readers, but you don't cater to that audience at the expense of alienating everyone else.

Offline Adami

« Reply #2210 on: February 14, 2019, 10:27:15 AM »
Not solely, no, but it's still a Marvel comic book and there's still a "Marvel audience".  Each of the heroes has personality/demographic types that they attract, and certainly a female hero has a greater potential to draw female readers, but you don't cater to that audience at the expense of alienating everyone else.

True, but you can't make every character equally appealing to every demographic. I doubt too many teenage girls are reading Dead Man Logan, you know? In comic books, the female audience has been historically overlooked. Girls in comics historically wore basically bathing suits as costumes and their personal lives were defined by their relationships with men. This is finally changing. So it's not too shocking if some 40 year old men, who prefer more classic masculine stories aren't very into Captain Marvel. As a 34 year old man, I love it. So they're not alienating me or many other men, but they're not being written FOR older men.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2211 on: February 14, 2019, 12:31:07 PM »
I agree.  I haven't read the newer Captain Marvel comics myself, but Samsara's reaction seemed to be one of alienation, so that's what I was commenting on.

Offline Adami

« Reply #2212 on: February 14, 2019, 12:53:43 PM »
I agree.  I haven't read the newer Captain Marvel comics myself, but Samsara's reaction seemed to be one of alienation, so that's what I was commenting on.

And that's fine, sometimes we can't relate to it. For instance, Deadpool is my favorite character. I love volumes 2 and 3, but the past like 5-6 years or whatever of Deadpool comics were NOT for me. So much so that I stopped reading them until new writers joined. I felt alienated, but such is life. Can't please everyone. They were writing him for a different audience that the movie helped bring in. It happens.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2213 on: February 16, 2019, 05:48:31 AM »
Question for the comic book fans, going back to Infinity Gauntlet. Nebula's look was drastically different in both medias. Did they revive her looks in a comic or was a move on Gunn's part to make her a less sexy android?

Offline Adami

« Reply #2214 on: February 16, 2019, 07:55:58 AM »
Question for the comic book fans, going back to Infinity Gauntlet. Nebula's look was drastically different in both medias. Did they revive her looks in a comic or was a move on Gunn's part to make her a less sexy android?

They changed her the 2000's (pre-MCU) to something closer to Gunn's version, but now she's almost identical to Gunn's version.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2215 on: February 18, 2019, 09:55:00 AM »
Aaaaaand Netflix has cancelled the last two. No more Marvel series after JJ3.  :sadpanda:

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2216 on: February 18, 2019, 11:32:25 AM »
Aaaaaand Netflix has cancelled the last two. No more Marvel series after JJ3.  :sadpanda:

Yep. I guess we all knew that was coming. Bummer.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Adami

« Reply #2217 on: February 18, 2019, 12:16:37 PM »
Ah well. Hopefully Agents is good this coming season. I really dug Cloak and Dagger and hope season 2 is just as good.

Still not a fan of the Runaways, but everyone else seems to absolutely love it, so I guess it's just me.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2218 on: February 18, 2019, 12:19:13 PM »
Finally getting into the Gifted on HULU, quite enjoying it.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2219 on: February 18, 2019, 12:26:05 PM »

The Gifted is very very good! Only 2 more episodes before this season ends and it hasn't been renewed for a 3rd yet, hope it doesn't get cancelled :'(
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Adami

« Reply #2220 on: February 18, 2019, 12:32:06 PM »

The Gifted is very very good! Only 2 more episodes before this season ends and it hasn't been renewed for a 3rd yet, hope it doesn't get cancelled :'(

Since it's a FOX thing, it wouldn't shock me if it gets the ax.

I'm torn on The Gifted. I like it about......75%. I really like some stuff, and do NOT like other stuff. That brother is just annoying, as is Reeva, unless her story somehow makes more sense. Also, as hot as Jamie Chung is, and as much as I love Blink, she is just not a good actress.

LOVE the rest of the family, that Oscar Issac looking dude, and much of the rest of the team. And was so happy to see the Stepford sisters. So happy.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2221 on: February 18, 2019, 12:51:04 PM »
Ah well. Hopefully Agents is good this coming season. I really dug Cloak and Dagger and hope season 2 is just as good.

Still not a fan of the Runaways, but everyone else seems to absolutely love it, so I guess it's just me.
Runaways is alright. I definitely wouldn't say I love it, but it's enjoyable and there are some nice touches. I say this as a non comic reader.

But yeah Cloak and Dagger was great, looking forward to more of it.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Adami

« Reply #2222 on: February 18, 2019, 12:53:30 PM »
Honestly, with Runaways I usually try to keep my thoughts to myself. Because I've read every single (I'm pretty sure) issue of The Runaways ever, I'm really biased.

That said, I tried to watch the show as a non-fan, where I didn't care if they changed things (and I usually don't mind) but still found the writing and decisions made to be awful. Not sure how much of that is my bias, or if I would feel that way if I hadn't been a giant Runaways fan first. Hard to tell. Either way, I can't get behind it.

I could go on, but I doubt anyone cares haha.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2223 on: February 18, 2019, 01:21:02 PM »

Since it's a FOX thing, it wouldn't shock me if it gets the ax.

I'm torn on The Gifted. I like it about......75%. I really like some stuff, and do NOT like other stuff. That brother is just annoying, as is Reeva, unless her story somehow makes more sense. Also, as hot as Jamie Chung is, and as much as I love Blink, she is just not a good actress.

Well...

Blink just died. Or, at least that’s what they want us to believe, but she took 3 bullets, that’s kind of hard to survive lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2224 on: February 18, 2019, 07:17:08 PM »
As expected, The punisher has been cancelled.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2225 on: February 19, 2019, 09:19:08 AM »
Anybody want a bet when the Disney service will be running, these series will be renewed?

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2226 on: February 19, 2019, 09:28:22 AM »
Anybody want a bet when the Disney service will be running, these series will be renewed?

I read that Hulu may be the service where the canceled Marvel shows from NETFLIX land? Gonna try to dig that article up.....

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2227 on: February 19, 2019, 09:50:26 AM »
My wife said Jeph Loeb tweeted something, or said something over the weekend to the effect of that a plan is in place to continue all the canceled series. I forget where she saw it, but most likely it was his Twitter (and I am too lazy to look it up). If so, that's promising. I mean, it'll likely require a subscription to yet another streaming service, but if the quality remains high, that would be fine.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Adami

« Reply #2228 on: February 19, 2019, 09:50:55 AM »
Hulu said they'd be open to it. Marvel (once the acquisition is done) will have a huge piece of Hulu, and Hulu makes more sense than the Disney streaming service for these shows due to their more adult content.

That said, I did read that....and I feel like we've talked about it here....the contracts with Netflix state that the characters cannot be used at all for 2 years after cancellation. So if they come back, it wouldn't be able to even begin production or anything until mid/late 2020 for some, and now early 2021 for others.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2229 on: February 19, 2019, 09:55:43 AM »
....and I feel like we've talked about it here....the contracts with Netflix state that the characters cannot be used at all for 2 years after cancellation. So if they come back, it wouldn't be able to even begin production or anything until mid/late 2020 for some, and now early 2021 for others.

Yeah....we did discuss that. Which....if that's the case.....I'd suspect they'd re-cast the characters.....which IMO would suck because I think they've nailed Daredevil and the Punisher.

Offline Adami

« Reply #2230 on: February 19, 2019, 10:06:27 AM »
....and I feel like we've talked about it here....the contracts with Netflix state that the characters cannot be used at all for 2 years after cancellation. So if they come back, it wouldn't be able to even begin production or anything until mid/late 2020 for some, and now early 2021 for others.

Yeah....we did discuss that. Which....if that's the case.....I'd suspect they'd re-cast the characters.....which IMO would suck because I think they've nailed Daredevil and the Punisher.

As far as I can tell, it's the IO, not the actors. So none of the actual characters, no matter who plays them.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2231 on: February 19, 2019, 10:09:30 AM »

As far as I can tell, it's the IO, not the actors. So none of the actual characters, no matter who plays them.

It is. The characters can't appear anywhere except Netflix for two years.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2232 on: February 19, 2019, 01:09:16 PM »
Two years goes by pretty quickly, honestly. It seems like a long time, but it'll fly by.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2233 on: February 20, 2019, 12:08:37 AM »

I can almost guarantee there'll be some kind of buy-out clause that would allow Marvel to start using them sooner for a fee.

But also, two years isn't THAT long really. I don't see any reason why it would mean that production can't start until 2 years after it last airs. Surely it'd make more sense to be that it can't air until 2 years after. In which case it's only a bit longer than between seasons anyway.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Adami

« Reply #2234 on: February 20, 2019, 08:01:17 AM »

I can almost guarantee there'll be some kind of buy-out clause that would allow Marvel to start using them sooner for a fee.

But also, two years isn't THAT long really. I don't see any reason why it would mean that production can't start until 2 years after it last airs. Surely it'd make more sense to be that it can't air until 2 years after. In which case it's only a bit longer than between seasons anyway.

I'm sure they do. But with the FOX deal closing soon, how much does Marvel really want to invest in those characters when they can just wait 2 years? You know? I doubt they're going to spend even more money when they have their plates so full at the moment.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2235 on: February 20, 2019, 01:55:41 PM »
Depends. There's definitely a financial cost, obviously, and it would require continued coordination from Marvel TV. But in terms of production, development etc, the cast and crew are all there.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Adami

« Reply #2236 on: February 20, 2019, 02:09:03 PM »
Depends. There's definitely a financial cost, obviously, and it would require continued coordination from Marvel TV. But in terms of production, development etc, the cast and crew are all there.

But what's the intensive? It's not like they pay netflix 5,000 dollars and get all the rights back. We're probably talking millions at the very very least.

Why do that? You're getting X-Men, FF, all of that stuff, AND all you have to do is wait 2 years. I just don't see the intensive at all.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2237 on: February 20, 2019, 02:34:02 PM »
Hey I never said they'd do it! Just that they might.

They know the shows are already of a generally very high quality and have a pretty loyal fanbase, and not necessarily all people who follow the movies. I know people who watch the Marvel Netflix shows who aren't especially interested in the films. I agree that they can just wait 2 years, and on balance I think that's probably most likely (if they do anything at all) but that risks losing the current momentum they have, which is where the incentive would come from to pay to do it sooner.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2238 on: February 21, 2019, 05:23:42 AM »
It might be worth the investment to have those characters / shows right at the launch of the service, so they have an established set of assets to use as they try to build (steal) viewership for another streaming service - whether these shows sit on their own service, or Hulu.  They'll have to decide how many of the 100M+ Netflix viewers that don't have Hulu are Marvel watchers, and willing to spend another $6/mo.  Is it 10, 10k, or 10M?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #2239 on: February 21, 2019, 05:33:21 AM »
Another thing they might want to do if they start backing Hulu in a big way is release it overseas; isn't it still US and Japan only? If they don't start expanding on that quickly, everyone in the rest of the world is just going to pirate their shows.