Author Topic: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe v2 (SPOILERS)  (Read 251213 times)

Offline The Trooper

Re: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe *SPOILERS* 2
« Reply #210 on: February 22, 2017, 07:44:16 PM »
very true. Disney thought agents was failing. remember. there is the disney movie division and the tv division.besides other facets.there has been several screenplays/ideas for an inhumans movie. Disney usually gets things right.  sometimes the tail wags the dog

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #211 on: February 22, 2017, 07:46:27 PM »
very true. Disney thought agents was failing. remember. there is the disney movie division and the tv division.besides other facets.there has been several screenplays/ideas for an inhumans movie. Disney usually gets things right.  sometimes the tail wags the dog

I mean, it's still Marvel. Disney owns it and has their say, but Marvel is running their company and their movie heads and their TV heads don't get along with each other very well, hence the complete lack of crossover between anything on TV and the movies, despite being in the same universe.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #212 on: February 22, 2017, 07:58:23 PM »
oh we are in total agreement. again agree with you  100%.  Disney doesn't run marvel. they own marvel. but the stakeholders at marvel don't get along to well with the Disney execs. it is a slippery slope. like I said earlier, box office take will tell. sometimes you can get too big for your own good. and Disney/marvel. star wars I think Disney took on too much. just my opinion

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #213 on: February 23, 2017, 01:55:13 PM »
Daredevil fans (the character, and associated shows and film) here? I picked up the Director's Cut film starring Affleck late last week (I got it on blu-ray for less than $3 and watched it last night. I have to say, now being more familiar with the character because of the Netflix series and the host of graphic novels I purchased last year, I really felt the movie was pretty good.

Sure, there were some holes, but overall, I think the film got a pretty bad rap. It's not AS bad as I remember the theatrical version being (which I rented when it came out years ago). Any fans of the character who have seen the film in the last few years have any thoughts on it?

I'm a pretty big fan of what they are doing with the Netflix series. I've always been a Punisher fan, so I was pleased with how the last season ended. Curious to see where it goes next...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #214 on: February 23, 2017, 03:19:58 PM »
I have always heard that the director's cut was better than the theatrical release.  But at this point, I don't have the time or inclination to track it down or spend the time watching.

I REALLY disliked the theatrical cut.  The Netflix show is really, really good.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #215 on: February 24, 2017, 12:05:46 AM »
Nothing can save that movie from Colin Farrel. Poor thing.

I didn't totally abhor the movie other than that but that one villain singlehandedly ruined the whole film. Even then it was pretty mediocre though, at its best.

The Netflix series however is one of the greatest superhero revivals of all time. I think it's right next to Iron Man in terms of impact (mainly just for DD but even for superhero TV shows in general). Obviously not nearly as much of a forthcoming given that Iron Man literally revived the entire superhero media from death but I don't think superhero TV shows would've kept on blowing up like they have been if it weren't for Netflix and their deal with Marvel along with Daredevil's initial huge boom.

AoS certainly wasn't making any splashes. I still can't get into it despite a lot of praise for it.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #216 on: February 27, 2017, 09:39:59 AM »
Speaking of the DD film.  I geniunely struggle to think of a superhero movie worse than Electra, that film was so very boring (at least Catwoman/Superman 4 were amusing bad).  Electra had no redeeming features at all (shallow : I don't even find Garner hot).

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #217 on: February 27, 2017, 11:29:23 AM »
Catwoman and Superman IV were not in any way amusing.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Adami

« Reply #218 on: February 27, 2017, 11:48:54 AM »
I'm a Marvel fan, a huge one (though still try to be pretty unbias in how I rate their stuff) and, as far as I know, Elektra is the only post-Blade Marvel movie I've never seen.

Nope, scratch that, never seen The Amazing Spider Man 2 either.

It has to look pretty awful for me not to even try to watch it. I even watched Fant4stick.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #219 on: February 27, 2017, 02:13:05 PM »
Elektra might actually be the worst "superhero" movie I have seen in its entirety. I'll never bother to watch Superman IV or Batman & Robin, and I only watched like 20 minutes of Catwoman before I couldn't take it anymore and turned it off. So that one might be worse, but I didn't finish it.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #220 on: February 27, 2017, 02:43:57 PM »
I haven't seen The Amazing Spider-Man 1 or 2.

I haven't seen the latest Fantastic Four either.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #221 on: February 27, 2017, 03:45:36 PM »
I haven't seen The Amazing Spider-Man 1 or 2.

I have.  They had their moments.  For each of them, I kinda felt like, "Yeah, okay, that was a fun way to kill 90 minutes, but I'm not going to waste another 90 doing that again."
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #222 on: February 27, 2017, 11:07:51 PM »
Yeah that's pretty much how I feel about them too.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #223 on: February 28, 2017, 12:02:24 AM »
In other news, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. has been killing it this season and that winter-finale was out of this world good.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #224 on: February 28, 2017, 02:50:35 AM »

Ah come up Halle Berry acting as an actual cat is amusing, and completely shows they misunderstood the character.  Then there is Superman 4 - just watch the battle on the moon!!   Also Milton Keynes subbing as Metropolis  :D

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #225 on: February 28, 2017, 07:57:24 AM »

Ah come up Halle Berry acting as an actual cat is amusing, and completely shows they misunderstood the character.  Then there is Superman 4 - just watch the battle on the moon!!   Also Milton Keynes subbing as Metropolis  :D
All of that is cringe-worthily awful.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #226 on: February 28, 2017, 08:00:25 AM »

1000x yes.  :hefdaddy
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #227 on: February 28, 2017, 01:52:42 PM »
Anson Mount cast as Black Bolt in The Inhumans

Intriguing choice.  Definitely a tough role for most actors, since there is no dialogue for him.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #228 on: February 28, 2017, 02:01:48 PM »
:who:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #229 on: February 28, 2017, 03:22:43 PM »
Anson Mount

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #230 on: February 28, 2017, 04:15:44 PM »
He was great in Hell On Wheels.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Adami

« Reply #231 on: February 28, 2017, 04:16:38 PM »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #232 on: February 28, 2017, 05:08:42 PM »
Anson Mount was my pick for Batman for the DCEU before they casted Affleck. Great choice, excellent actor

Online Adami

« Reply #233 on: February 28, 2017, 10:13:53 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTZ7-LlEVok

Newest Guardians trailer.

Wow, this looks like so much fun. Also, it still shows a ton but never gives away the plot. However, due to Marvel's tendency to release most of the movie through trailers and TV spots, this will be the last thing I watch.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #234 on: March 01, 2017, 03:36:57 AM »

But, but, but it's still better than sitting though Electra!

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #235 on: March 01, 2017, 05:56:13 AM »
Not directly connected to the MCU, but I'm seeing LOGAN tonight!!  :metal :metal

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #236 on: March 01, 2017, 01:05:02 PM »

Wow, this looks like so much fun. Also, it still shows a ton but never gives away the plot. However, due to Marvel's tendency to release most of the movie through trailers and TV spots, this will be the last thing I watch.

Any clues from the brief Kurt Russell appearance what character he is?

Online Adami

« Reply #237 on: March 01, 2017, 01:08:18 PM »

I'll put it in spoilers, just in case someone doesn't know and doesn't want to know.

He is playing Ego, the living planet, who.......I guess also has a human body he can take whenever he wants. He's also Star Lord's father.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #238 on: March 01, 2017, 01:11:27 PM »

It's been well publicized what character he is playing.  And I actually thought it was talked about in this thread.  It's not really a spoiler, unless you just don't want to know anything about the film.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #239 on: March 01, 2017, 01:32:48 PM »
That seems...like such an odd choice.  But what the heck.  Guardians of the Galaxy seemed like an odd choice to make a movie out of in the first place, and that worked beautifully, so...  :dunno:

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #240 on: March 02, 2017, 12:18:14 PM »
A couple more casting announcements for Inhumans

Ken Leung as Karnak
https://t.co/Wz1cxYNoSi

and Serinda Swan as Medusa
https://news.marvel.com/tv/60593/serinda-swan-cast-marvels-inhumans-series-abc/

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #241 on: March 02, 2017, 12:24:17 PM »
Maybe it's just me, but for the most part, casting decisions don't really excite me, and I mostly find them meaningless.  If a part is well-written and well-directed, a no name is often just as likely to deliver a great performance as a big name, and vice-versa.  Samuel L. Jackson is my personal poster child for this.  When his lines are well-written and he is well directed, he is one of my favorite actors, as in 187.  When his lines are poorly written and/or he is poorly directed, he is one of my least favorite, as in the Star Wars prequels.

Online Adami

« Reply #242 on: March 02, 2017, 12:48:55 PM »
A couple more casting announcements for Inhumans

Ken Leung as Karnak
https://t.co/Wz1cxYNoSi

Well that's an interesting choice.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Adami

« Reply #243 on: March 05, 2017, 09:58:21 PM »
Behold Blackagar Boltagon!

..................yup
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #244 on: March 06, 2017, 07:56:18 AM »
Finally saw Doctor Strange over the weekend.  It was good.  I thought some of the subtle humor was some of the best in the Marvel movies.  But in typical Marvel fashion, there were plenty of other moments where they tried too hard and fell flat.  Visual effects were awesome and exceeded already-high expectations.  But then during the mirror dimension fight toward the end, it started to kinda feel like the tickle section in LNF where the awesome factor is simultaneously ramping up at almost exponential rates while also just making you feel like you need it to stop immediately.  Story was pretty good.  Dormammu fell a little flat for me.  There were hints throughout that he was the big threat in the background, but I somehow just didn't feel that he was developed enough, or even that the idea of him was developed enough, to make him feel truly menacing.  I dunno, maybe it was just me rather than a fault of how the plot devoped.  But he just didn't hit me all that hard as something to be dreaded.

Overall, I would put it somewhere in the bottom half of MCU films.  But that said, it was still very good.