Author Topic: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe v2 (SPOILERS)  (Read 251453 times)

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
Re: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe *SPOILERS* 2
« Reply #1960 on: November 12, 2018, 12:20:33 PM »
Two things deeply inspired my youth teaching me to dream, laying the foundations for the free happy person I'm today: music and Marvel comics.

I feel in debt to Mr Lee the same way I am to my father in that regard. Rest in peace.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1961 on: November 12, 2018, 12:42:02 PM »
Thanks Stan for your part in shaping my youth, my sense of ethics and morality, and my character. R. I. P.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1962 on: November 12, 2018, 12:48:07 PM »
I've been a fan of Marvel comics for more than 40 years! All of my childhood, teenage youth and most of my adult life! Damn, I knew it would come but it hurts! Thank you, Mr Lee, for making my life so much better when I needed it. RIP. :sad:

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1963 on: November 13, 2018, 12:14:12 PM »
Just popped in to say:  Luke Cage S1 isn't bad.  Got through a huge chunk of it for the conclusion of my flu-induced binge-watching over the weekend.  The dialog is pretty cringe-inducing in parts.  But I also get that the style is somewhat intentional and is a homage to '70s westerns and cop shows, which the at-times-stilted dialog intends to mimic, so I can forgive and give style points.  Cottonmouth was a GREAT character.  I'm kinda sorry to see him go.  I'm not warming up to Diamondback nearly as much, with three episodes to go. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Adami

« Reply #1964 on: November 13, 2018, 12:16:34 PM »
Just popped in to say:  Luke Cage S1 isn't bad.  Got through a huge chunk of it for the conclusion of my flu-induced binge-watching over the weekend.  The dialog is pretty cringe-inducing in parts.  But I also get that the style is somewhat intentional and is a homage to '70s westerns and cop shows, which the at-times-stilted dialog intends to mimic, so I can forgive and give style points.  Cottonmouth was a GREAT character.  I'm kinda sorry to see him go.  I'm not warming up to Diamondback nearly as much, with three episodes to go.

Yea, the last few episodes aren't great.

Season 2 was a HUGE improvement. Assuming you're okay with slow character based episodes, and not so much about action and stuff.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1965 on: November 13, 2018, 12:40:34 PM »
No, I have no problem with slow character development.  It is one of the things that Marvel does well.  Even in the films, as jam-packed as they are, the characters have so much depth because we get to know them over the span of several movies.  From the Netflix shows I have seen so far, the slower pace seems to work just fine.  In fact, there is a LOT in general that works really well in these series.  The only thing I am not crazy about is that they seem to not be able to resist trying SO hard to sexualize EVERYTHING, which I not only find unnecessary, but even offputting. 

Back to the series:  Bobby Fish is such a cool character!
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Adami

« Reply #1966 on: November 13, 2018, 12:45:09 PM »
Yea, they definitely sexualize the hell out of LC season 1. Good thing I don't drink coffee haha.

And yea, season 2 is a huge up then.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1967 on: November 13, 2018, 01:03:35 PM »
Good thing I don't drink coffee haha.
:lol  I loved when he asked Claire if she wanted to go get coffee, and her response.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1968 on: November 14, 2018, 07:04:21 AM »
Through the first two seasons of Daredevil now. Really dig this show and loved season 2. The Punisher storyline was cool....as well as Electra.

I’m probably just going to Youtibe the cliff notes of Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and Iron Fist.....plus I’m understanding they catch you up in their own way on what to know prior to season three so I’ll just roll with that approach. It’s simply too much to try and get through. Especially with my Game of Thrones rewatch on the horizon.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1969 on: November 14, 2018, 10:12:59 AM »
Through the first two seasons of Daredevil now. Really dig this show and loved season 2. The Punisher storyline was cool....as well as Electra.

I’m probably just going to Youtibe the cliff notes of Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and Iron Fist.....plus I’m understanding they catch you up in their own way on what to know prior to season three so I’ll just roll with that approach. It’s simply too much to try and get through. Especially with my Game of Thrones rewatch on the horizon.

I watched DD season 3 before watching any of the other shows, and I thought it was fine.  I don't think there is any significant crossover that makes viewing any of the other shows essential to understanding season 3 of DD.  It is self-contained enough.

I get what you are saying about not having time for the others.  I'm in the same boat.  And my wife isn't into them, which really cuts into my available time to watch them as well.  If not for being in bed with the flu for the better part of 3 days and nights, I wouldn't have watched Jessica Jones or Luke Cage.  That said, if you are not put off by the darkness and gratuitous sexuality, they are both REALLY good.  I wouldn't do a "cliff notes" version of Jessica Jones, in particular.  Season 1 is all about the journey and seeing how and why she does what she does.  To a lesser extent, that is true of Luke Cage as well.  These are very character-driven shows, so merely reading a summary doesn't really give a good feel for what they are about, IMO.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #1970 on: November 14, 2018, 10:21:23 AM »

Season 3 is great too. It is a slow burn at first, but huge pay off as you move through the middle to the end.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1971 on: November 14, 2018, 10:35:07 AM »
Yeah, the first act almost isn't even really about Daredevil.  And that's fine. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1972 on: November 15, 2018, 06:04:32 PM »

Season 3 is great too. It is a slow burn at first, but huge pay off as you move through the middle to the end.

Yeah, the first act almost isn't even really about Daredevil.  And that's fine. 

You guys were right....these first five episodes of season 3 are kind of dark and a slow burn. But I’m digging it.

Online Adami

« Reply #1973 on: November 15, 2018, 06:07:40 PM »
Kind of dark?

Oh, child.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1974 on: November 15, 2018, 06:17:00 PM »
Gary, I only have two words:  episode 8. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1975 on: November 15, 2018, 06:28:08 PM »

Welp.....that guarantees I’m not going to sleep tonight until I’m done with Episode 8.  :lol

Online Adami

« Reply #1976 on: November 15, 2018, 06:34:19 PM »

Welp.....that guarantees I’m not going to sleep tonight until I’m done with Episode 8.  :lol

Oh, child.

You ain't sleeping.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1977 on: November 15, 2018, 06:37:17 PM »

Oh, child.

You ain't sleeping.

Dang it! It’s only fitting. This series has cost me a few good nights of sleep so why not throw another one in there

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1978 on: November 15, 2018, 09:27:20 PM »
Starting episode 8.....

:corn

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1979 on: November 15, 2018, 10:35:39 PM »

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1980 on: November 16, 2018, 06:10:55 AM »

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1981 on: November 16, 2018, 08:50:14 AM »
OK so I watched through Episode 10. I'm gonna small font my post so I don't ruin anything for anyone:

The only real 'shocker' I gleened from Ep. 8 was the reveal of Matt's mom being Maggie the Nun. Which, I honestly had already started to suspect....it seemed like they were giving clues on that one. The other item could have been when Karen confronted Fisk and told him she killed Wesley...and that she confirmed Fisk's suspicions of Matt being the Daredevil.

Episode 9 was crazy when Agent Nadeem went to his Boss's house and she killed the lead Internal Guy in front of him and it was revealed she and a dozen other agents are under Fisk's control.

And with Episode 10....I did like seeing Karen's background BUT I don't think it was really necessary. I think the majority of us had pieced together the story from the clues and details that have been revealed thus far. I liked that it gave some context and appreciated the episode...thought it was good....but didn't see it being very relevant actually.

For as much as I like this series....which I do like it a lot.....I have an issue with this idea that Matt (daredevil) is having such a hard time defeating this FBI Agent Dex when they battle. Daredevil has fought and defeated trained assassin ninja's and even his mentor and lover who are just as skilled or more skilled than him. But this random FBI guy is somehow now just as or more powerful than him? And, he puts on the daredevil suit and is magically superior? I know they've played up this psychotic rage he has and that he apparently is really accurate throwing things....but I can't buy that he's 'superior' to Matt. What has allowed me to tolerate it is that I'm assuming that Matt isn't fully healed....he has multiple injuries....which is allowing this Dex dude to manhandle him the way he is. He's FBI...not Green Beret or Navy Seals....I'm really struggling with the 'believeability' aspect of that conflict.

I'm sure I'll hammer out the rest of the season either tonight or tomorrow night....can't wait to see where the final few episodes take the story.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1982 on: November 19, 2018, 06:41:46 AM »
Finished Season 3 of Daredevil. Really liked the season. I was curious as to if Matt would cross the line of killing Fisk.....and was glad to see they kept that aspect of his character in tact.

Having never read the comic I’ve done a bit of reading since I completed it to try and understand a couple of the characters and the idea behind Dex....looks like he will be Bullseye in future seasons? And, Fisk’s wife in the comic looks to be a villain as well....so I guess she could always still wreak some havoc.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #1983 on: November 27, 2018, 06:02:09 PM »
Russo Bros. are doing a screening of Infinity War tomorrow with a Q&A after, rumor has it the Avenger 4 trailer will be shown then released on Youtube. Screening starts at 9:30 pm EST.

Online Adami

« Reply #1984 on: November 27, 2018, 06:03:09 PM »
That would be cool. Though I feel like every day for the last 2 weeks has been a rumored trailer release date.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #1985 on: November 27, 2018, 09:00:57 PM »
I’ll be at that screening, I’ll be sure to share any juicy details we hear  :tup

Online T-ski

« Reply #1986 on: November 29, 2018, 07:48:21 AM »
welp, so much for that trailer.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online Adami

« Reply #1987 on: November 29, 2018, 07:19:47 PM »
Daredevil officially cancelled.

Honestly I'm okay with this. Seems like the Marvel Netflix shows are over (hoping JJ3 and Punisher 2 are great, sure they will be). I'm happy to see DD go out on such a high note. Would hate for it to return for the sake of it, become meh and then die off.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1988 on: November 29, 2018, 07:23:11 PM »
Daredevil officially cancelled.

Honestly I'm okay with this. Seems like the Marvel Netflix shows are over (hoping JJ3 and Punisher 2 are great, sure they will be). I'm happy to see DD go out on such a high note. Would hate for it to return for the sake of it, become meh and then die off.

A tad bummed but as you mentioned it went out well.

Online Adami

« Reply #1989 on: November 29, 2018, 07:25:39 PM »
I do wonder, however, if this will allow them to jump ship to the MCU. They definitely don't need their own movies, but throw them in the other movies.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1990 on: November 29, 2018, 07:29:11 PM »
If they're cancelling all the Marvel/Netflix shows, it gives me hope they'll do something with them on their new streaming platform.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online Adami

« Reply #1991 on: November 29, 2018, 07:31:52 PM »
If they're cancelling all the Marvel/Netflix shows, it gives me hope they'll do something with them on their new streaming platform.

I'm so torn on this. Iron Fist could do well. But the rest? On a Disney channel? Ehhhhhhhh. I don't see it at all. I would hate to see a Disney friendly version of Daredevil or Jessica Jones.

I guess I should give up hopes of a brutal dark Moon Knight series.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1992 on: November 29, 2018, 07:36:02 PM »
I think their move is that all the cash goes straight to Disney and not to Netflix for a Disney-owned franchise. DD did super well the way it is, so I think they'd keep it that way if they decide to bring the characters back.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online Adami

« Reply #1993 on: November 29, 2018, 07:47:35 PM »
But Disney, under no circumstance, will release DD or JJ the way they were directly under the Disney logo. It's just not going to happen. Ever.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1994 on: November 29, 2018, 08:19:52 PM »
But Disney, under no circumstance, will release DD or JJ the way they were directly under the Disney logo. It's just not going to happen. Ever.

They own Deadpool now too.   I don't think they can kill that one.  Too big of a cash cow.   

But when they purchased Marvel, someone within Disney hinted (referring directly to a question about Deadpool) that they were looking at creating a different platform for the Marvel "adult" universe to exist in.    Sortof like what Touchstone used to be for Disney.   They only ripple is that currently, DD, JJ, IF, and LC all exist within the official MCU.   I think that will most likely change.    If they remain as they are, they will be entered into the Deadpool/Venom "unofficial" universe.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude