Author Topic: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe v2 (SPOILERS)  (Read 251208 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe *SPOILERS* 2
« Reply #1715 on: September 02, 2018, 03:40:22 PM »
So I'm on my umpteenth viewing. I gotta say, my biggest gripe - and it's a very minor one at that - is that there is no backstory on the Black Order. I get it, you can only cram so much into one film, and hindsight is 20/20. But, in hindsight (can't stress that enough, because this isn't really a dig at the film), I would've loved to see just a taste of them in a couple past films like they did Thanos. I know they probably didn't have the designs worked out and how they were going to be used in the film, though, if at all. Ebony Maw is such a cool villain to me and I'm sad every time I watch that he gets taken out so early instead of Cull Obsidian and co.

Which leads me to a couple questions - forgive me if I've asked before. Why was Cull Obsidian renamed to Black Dwarf? I don't believe any of the Order are mentioned by name in the film anyway, except when Thanos asks about "The Maw." An odd choice, especially for a character whose name is never mentioned and who has absolutely zero backstory or spoken lines.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1716 on: September 04, 2018, 10:51:57 AM »
So I'm on my umpteenth viewing. I gotta say, my biggest gripe - and it's a very minor one at that - is that there is no backstory on the Black Order. I get it, you can only cram so much into one film, and hindsight is 20/20. But, in hindsight (can't stress that enough, because this isn't really a dig at the film), I would've loved to see just a taste of them in a couple past films like they did Thanos. I know they probably didn't have the designs worked out and how they were going to be used in the film, though, if at all. Ebony Maw is such a cool villain to me and I'm sad every time I watch that he gets taken out so early instead of Cull Obsidian and co.

Which leads me to a couple questions - forgive me if I've asked before. Why was Cull Obsidian renamed to Black Dwarf? I don't believe any of the Order are mentioned by name in the film anyway, except when Thanos asks about "The Maw." An odd choice, especially for a character whose name is never mentioned and who has absolutely zero backstory or spoken lines.

I agree. I said the same thing about Ebony Maw getting killed "early" in the film.

Does anyone have any interest in Guardians 3 if Drax isn't played by Bautista? I don't.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1717 on: September 04, 2018, 10:58:18 AM »
I'm not sure I have interest in Guardians 3 anyway.  I am in "wait and see" mode.  But it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with Bautista specifically.  I just didn't think 2 was very good.  It had good moments, and I think what they were going for overall was pretty cool.  And it definitely had some overarching impact on Infinity War and the MCU as a whole.  But I felt the overall execution was lacking, and I Gunn's juvenile humor began to wear out its welcome. 

I was fine with Maw getting killed early in the film.  Yeah, he was pretty cool.  But that's life.  And it was somewhat poetic that such an overpowered character got taken out by the literal new kid on the block.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1718 on: September 04, 2018, 12:03:18 PM »
Different tangent:  Now that the kids are older, we are letting them watch Agents of SHIELD, so we started season 1 a little while back and are now coming to the finale.  It's fun seeing it now in hindsight with where we are now, both in terms of that show and the MCU as a whole.  Season 1 was kind of all over the place, especially in the first half.  But there is a lot of cool stuff going on as well. 

They do a nice job setting up the Inhumans and Daisey's future role in that as a human 084.  The Colson TAHITI storyline is pretty cool.  And they also lay a solid foundation for Hydra as well.  And the intrigue toward the end of the season with them setting up that a member of the team might be a traitor and possibly even the Clairvoyant works well at this early stage when we don't yet know the team really well.

Looking back, it seems like they may have initially intended to do more with Deathlok than they did.  He had a storyline that meandered in and out a few times, and it was a cool one.  But I think it could have been better and had a better payoff than what I recall. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1719 on: September 04, 2018, 12:25:48 PM »
Agents of SHIELD was a little shaky as first, but I thought it had a lot of potential, so I stuck with it.  I'm glad I did because it starts getting really solid a couple seasons in.  Actually, by the end of the first season, they'd gotten pretty consistently good, but they start going next-level once we reach the point where the characters are all established and they can mess with them a bit.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1720 on: September 04, 2018, 12:26:56 PM »
Does anyone have any interest in Guardians 3 if Drax isn't played by Bautista? I don't.

I really don't care if he never plays Drax anymore, as long as Vol. 3 is good. My only issue would be recasting Drax, I'd rather have them kill him on Avengers 4 than having someone else suddenly playing the same character. The way he's written, it wouldn't be the same without Dave, imo.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1721 on: September 04, 2018, 12:35:37 PM »

I really don't care if he never plays Drax anymore, as long as Vol. 3 is good. My only issue would be recasting Drax, I'd rather have them kill him on Avengers 4 than having someone else suddenly playing the same character. The way he's written, it wouldn't be the same without Dave, imo.

Yeah, I mostly agree with that too.  But I will say that, as much as I hate recasting, I wouldn't necessarily write off vol. 3 just because of a re-casting.  I think they managed to get huge upgrades when re-casting Rhodey and Banner, so I wouldn't necessarily just assume a new Drax wouldn't work.  I don't want a new Drax, but I'm not going to foreclose the possibility of it working.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1722 on: September 04, 2018, 12:48:21 PM »
Well, Drax is killed an reincarnated in the comics, so there's that option, with a subtle re-cast.  He's had some mildly different looks as well, so I'd be fine with the character being re-cast with a new actor.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1723 on: September 04, 2018, 01:40:56 PM »

I did see one fan theory where the big one is wearing a waist sash with Captain Marvel's colors in the opening fight scene, so maybe we'll get some semblance of a back story in her movie.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1724 on: September 05, 2018, 10:29:19 AM »
Our first official picture of Captain Marvel! Looks great.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1725 on: September 05, 2018, 11:51:57 AM »
I'm much less compelled by the "look," which is what it is, than the other details shared about the film in the article itself.

Online Adami

« Reply #1726 on: September 05, 2018, 12:23:53 PM »
I'm much less compelled by the "look," which is what it is, than the other details shared about the film in the article itself.

Buzzkill.

The article didn't seem like it gave a ton away. She'll start the movie off already with her powers and leaving earth to joining a team called Star Force (I think) with Jude Law and others and then will return to earth and I guess we'll get some flash backs.

Other pics released include young Fury and Skrulls.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1727 on: September 05, 2018, 12:43:32 PM »
And apparently Ronan the Accuser.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Adami

« Reply #1728 on: September 05, 2018, 12:45:05 PM »

Yup! And if you look, Korath is also with the team as well.

I hope we get better versions of both than they gave us in Gaurdians. That version was Ronan was pathetic and awful.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1729 on: September 05, 2018, 01:01:17 PM »
I hope we get better versions of both than they gave us in Gaurdians. That version was Ronan was pathetic and awful.

No way.  Ronan was great.

Online Adami

« Reply #1730 on: September 05, 2018, 01:05:11 PM »

No way.  Ronan was great.

As a therapist, I’m now quite concerned for you. Do you wanna talk about it?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1731 on: September 05, 2018, 04:08:38 PM »
Our first official picture of Captain Marvel! Looks great.

Looks great, indeed! Really looking forward to this movie.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1732 on: September 06, 2018, 02:06:20 AM »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1733 on: September 06, 2018, 04:43:56 AM »

Yup! And if you look, Korath is also with the team as well.

Without knowing much about comic-Ronan before seeing GOTG Vol 1, I didn't have a problem with him.  After reading some comics with him in the storyline, yeah... movie-Ronan was a pussy compared to comic-Ronan

Online Adami

« Reply #1734 on: September 10, 2018, 02:01:58 PM »
So I watched all of Iron Fist season 2 over the weekend. Clearly the biggest hit since no one is talking about it.

Over all? Meh.

Not NEARLY as bad as season 1. Much much improved. Danny is actually pretty good in this one. Typhoid Mary was also pretty cool. However I just didn't find it....interesting. It was SO bland and kind of boring. I didn't care about much of what was going on. It was, to quote Mark Bernadin "aggressively competent". It did fine, just didn't do more than fine.

And the very very ending was probably the dumbest thing I've seen in a Marvel Netflix show. I have no idea where they plan to take that, but god was it dumb.

On the plus side, some really fun and cool easter eggs like having the police code for super powered people be 616 and lots of other stuff.

Over all? Worth watching, but don't expect a ton. It does, however, greatly alter the status quo of that world for a while.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1735 on: September 10, 2018, 02:05:35 PM »
Haven’t got time to start it yet, but hope it isn’t as bad as you say it is. I liked S1, though, so I guess I’ll like this one too.

Online Adami

« Reply #1736 on: September 10, 2018, 02:09:59 PM »
Haven’t got time to start it yet, but hope it isn’t as bad as you say it is. I liked S1, though, so I guess I’ll like this one too.

I didn't say it was bad. I said it was merely fine. It was just not terribly interesting. It was an even C+ for me. It could have been way better, but it could have been way worse. It's a big improvement over the last season, it's just not....captivating. The characters are just a bit more bland and boring to me, minus Colleen. Also lots of Misty Knight which helps a whole lot.

Maybe if they had ditched the main B plot and changed the actor who played Davos?

Honestly (spoilers here)

1) Revamp the Ward/Joy rivalry here. It had good ideas but not well executed at all.
2) Get rid of the triad wars. The acting was just not good on most of their parts (the triads) and it came off as REALLY cheesy. I know it's Iron Fist and needs to be all about Asian stuff, but this didn't feel natural at all.
3) Actor playing Davos just has no charisma. Character had potential, but was just boring.

Do that, and you've got potential.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 02:24:02 PM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1737 on: September 10, 2018, 02:18:09 PM »
I skipped the last part of your post, because I don’t want to get any spoilers, but I’ll comment on it as soon as I can watch the episodes. Not sure if I want Misty to be around a lot, though. I like her more after LC S2, but I don’t want her to steal the attention from the IF characters overrall.

Online Adami

« Reply #1738 on: September 10, 2018, 02:24:27 PM »
I skipped the last part of your post, because I don’t want to get any spoilers, but I’ll comment on it as soon as I can watch the episodes. Not sure if I want Misty to be around a lot, though. I like her more after LC S2, but I don’t want her to steal the attention from the IF characters overrall.

Good call. I changed the font size. Sorry about that.

Misty doesn't steal anything, she's supportive in the best ways.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1739 on: September 10, 2018, 09:45:22 PM »
Am I the only one who thinks there are parts of Big Chief II by OSI that sound like the Luke Cage theme song?

Big Chief II

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcalbBzGxWE

Luke Cage Theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La_ArLTXYCg
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1740 on: September 11, 2018, 11:58:45 AM »
I'm 7 episodes into Iron Fist season 2 and digging it a lot. But then I enjoyed season 1 well enough. This is a definite improvement over it though, and Mary is a really awesome character.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1741 on: September 12, 2018, 04:44:15 AM »
I'm about 6 episodes in and it's pretty damn good.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1742 on: September 12, 2018, 08:46:52 PM »
On episode 5 myself, and yeah, it seems they've fixed all the issues I had with season 1.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1743 on: September 13, 2018, 05:26:16 AM »
Okay, we finished up the season last night. I won't spoil anything yet but I really can't wait for you guys to finish the season so I can get your take on the last episode.  :omg: We did not see that coming!

There were several one-on-one moments this season that I thought were very well acted and quite moving, really. One scene especially, I think it was in episode four, where Danny and Ward were having a tearful conversation. So many feels.

I'm looking forward to some discussions once we're all caught up.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1744 on: September 13, 2018, 08:59:35 PM »
I just finished Iron Fist as well. Overall not bad, there were some moments that felt meh but not bad. That ending though...

Definitely better than Luke S2
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online Adami

« Reply #1745 on: September 13, 2018, 09:03:33 PM »
I just finished Iron Fist as well. Overall not bad, there were some moments that felt meh but not bad. That ending though...

Definitely better than Luke S2

Wait what? Do you mean just the very ending or the whole season? Cause LC season 2 was insanely amazing.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1746 on: September 17, 2018, 01:08:00 PM »
Just finished season 2 myself. It was awesome. Luke Cage and Iron Fist both big steps up from their season 1s, whereas the shows with much stronger season 1s dropped in season 2.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Adami

« Reply #1747 on: September 17, 2018, 07:19:31 PM »
Apparently first Captain Marvel trailer tomorrow?? Wooooo!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1748 on: September 17, 2018, 07:20:38 PM »
Apparently first Captain Marvel trailer tomorrow?? Wooooo!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1749 on: September 17, 2018, 08:03:19 PM »
Yup, I peed myself a little on that one...