Author Topic: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe v2 (SPOILERS)  (Read 250689 times)

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
Re: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe *SPOILERS* 2
« Reply #1505 on: May 09, 2018, 03:08:31 AM »
HBO’s ’The Leftovers’ finally makes sense!

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #1506 on: May 09, 2018, 06:54:17 AM »
JJS2 spoilers in this post for those who haven't seen it yet

There were good and bad parts to it. It's tough since Killgrave was such a perfect villain, so I think living up to that would have been an impossible chore, but the angle they went with it avoided having to live up to it altogether. There were some storylines that were just way to predictable (specifically Trish and the 'drug' story, that got old af really quick), but overall it was good stuff.

Yeah, most of my problems with season 2 lie with how they treated old characters that weren't JJ or Hogarth. Trish and (especially) Malcom's character development this season felt a little awkwardly handled at times (although I like the set up of Trish as Hellcat). I liked most of the new characters like Oscar and Vido though, and it's nice to see them "humanizing" JJ a little bit. Especially given how "prickly" she was last season.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1507 on: May 11, 2018, 09:55:18 AM »
I was just thinking...of all the possible deaths/survivals that will take place over the course of Avengers 3 and 4, I can't help but think some of the original Avengers will have to sacrifice themselves and die...and that Tony will try to and ultimately be left alive.  I could be wrong, but that just strikes me as being where his character arc is going.  More than perhaps any other character, the MCU seems to have taken the greatest pains to show us how the events around him impact him psychologically and emotionally.  That was the case right from the getgo, where he made a drastic decision in IM1 to break from his weapon-profiteering past and go a completely different direction.  We see him struggling to cope with the guilt of his past and his new role in IM2.  The drunken party scene where he and Rhodey almost fight kind of epitomizes that.  We see it in his PTSD in IM3.  We see his emotions again being put on his sleeve and probably the biggest exposition of survivor's guilt in Age of Ultron.  We see it play out in Civil War.  In Spiderman, it starts to take on a new form in him simultaneously mentoring and enabling Peter, while also behaving like a guilty parent who tries desperately to build a bubble around their child...which continues in Infinity War.  I think it is an inevitable part of his story to be burdened with survivor's guilt after Avengers 4.  Of course, we won't know until we know.  But for now, that direction seems likely to me.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1508 on: May 11, 2018, 10:23:48 AM »
I've been thinking about that, too, but I'm wondering if they're going to keep him alive but shelve him somehow so that he doesn't appear in future films, or maybe just does small cameos. With contracts and his high pay (he has to be the highest earning of the whole cast, right?), his departure is inevitable, but I've been wondering more and more for the last week or so if they're actually going to kill him in A4.

It's kind of surprising how this is still a mystery, so, kudos to Marvel :)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1509 on: May 11, 2018, 10:26:40 AM »
I've been thinking about that, too, but I'm wondering if they're going to keep him alive but shelve him somehow so that he doesn't appear in future films, or maybe just does small cameos. With contracts and his high pay (he has to be the highest earning of the whole cast, right?), his departure is inevitable, but I've been wondering more and more for the last week or so if they're actually going to kill him in A4.

I just read some random article the other day that said he was paid $10,000,000 for 8 minutes of screen time in Spiderman Homecoming. 

A number of the original Avengers' contracts are completed with Avengers 4, so I'm guessing it could be one or more.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1510 on: May 11, 2018, 10:27:40 AM »
If they don't kill him, they can easily have him head a new SHIELD or some equivalent and pass on the Iron Man persona to someone else. That way he can make appearances if necessary but won't be central to plots. They could also do this to Cap, but the MCU Cap doesn't really fit that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1511 on: May 11, 2018, 10:35:06 AM »

Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking.  I'm also wondering whether A4 will somewhat follow the pattern of Return of the King, with the main action being over, and then an extended epilogue where the film just kind of ties up the loose ends and closes the book on a lot of characters we won't be seeing again.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1512 on: May 11, 2018, 10:38:55 AM »
I would love nothing more than the last 40 minutes of A4 to be that kind of nice, slow-paced, wrapping up. Seriously.

Maybe without the emotional 10 minute stares between Stark and Banner a la Frodo and Sam, but still.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1513 on: May 11, 2018, 11:31:53 AM »
If they don't kill him, they can easily have him head a new SHIELD or some equivalent and pass on the Iron Man persona to someone else. That way he can make appearances if necessary but won't be central to plots. They could also do this to Cap, but the MCU Cap doesn't really fit that.

There is a theory floating around the internet that says...

*THIS MIGHT BE CONSIDERED A SPOILER, EVEN THOUGH IS JUST A THEORY*

Shuri supposedly takes the mantle of Iron Heart (basically the female version of Iron Man) after Avengers 4. We didn't see her turn to dust at the end of IW so I bet they're saving her being alive as a "shocking" reveal at the start of A4. She could help Stark work on some kind of technology to stop Thanos or whatever, wich might lead to Tony leaving the mantle to her, whatever happens to him in the next movie.

Btw, I'm pretty sure she managed to save Vision's consciousness before he went to fight with Corvus Glaive, and now that his body is conveniently in one piece after Thanos removed the stone, it wouldn't surprise me if they bring him back too.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online Adami

« Reply #1514 on: May 11, 2018, 11:35:55 AM »
Save Vision's consciousness? I mean what she was trying to do was separate the stone. She wasn't downloading his essence or anything.

When Thanos ripped out the stone, he ripped out a huge chunk of Vision's "brain" or whatever. Sure, it's possible she can save him, since I doubt they entered into that story line for no reason, but I sure hope he's dead.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #1515 on: May 11, 2018, 11:38:01 AM »
My predictions for the fates of each character:

Uncle Sam: Going to die 100%. One of the biggest things he faces as a character is "being a soldier without a war to fight", so having him die in combat I think is a fitting end for the character. Plus, Evan's contract is up and he has expressed no interest in renewal.
Metal Man: Either going to die or retire. RDJ is acting like these are his last movies in the MCU, his contract is up, he's expensive, and it would be a perfect end for his character arc (especially retirement). Plus, his death could spark some interesting internal conflict with Peter and Spidey 2 could focus on him trying to cope and/or finding a new father figure/mentor (which could be a great set-up to introduce someone like Doc Oc or Green Goblin).
Point Break: Hemsworth's contract is up, but he's expressed interest in renewing it now that his character has developed into something interesting. Plus he just got a crap load of powers. I don't see him dying, but he could take on a lesser role in future movies. If he does, Vaklyrie will probably take over his mantle and rule New Asgard.
Hide the Cucumber: Ruffalo has 2 movies left on his contract after A4. He's going to live.
Thigh Chokehold: Black Widow has a solo movie coming up and she hasn't really gotten enough focus yet. I don't see her dying or retiring.
The True Strongest Avenger: Renner still has two movies on his contract after A4 iirc. Even if one of them is a potential BW/Hawkeye flashback movie, that still leaves one on his contract. He could die, but I doubt it.
Baby Robot Goku Jesus: Dead.
Birdman: Like Thor, Mackie's contract is up with A4. I'm feeling this is Falcon's last rodeo.
Aluminum Man: Really, the one I'm least sure on. I don't see him having a big role in future movies, so I'm going to guess either death or retirement.
Grower, Not a Shower: 0% chance of Ant-Man dying. 0. Z-E-R-O. He's one of the leaders of the next-gen of Marvel movies and is two movies into a trilogy now.
Arachnoboy: He gon get resurrected, then be an important figure coming up. Also he has a movie. So.
Mr. Doctor: C'mon. We all know he's gonna live.
Cat-Man: He's only used up like...two of his 9 lives. Plus he'll likely have a sequel.
Hermione Granger: Another one I'm not so sure on. Her trauma over Baby Robot Goku Jesus's death could make interesting fodder for a solo movie or to set her up as a future "I can't control my powers"/Jean Grey/Phoenix-type villain. Or she could just die.
Gonna Need That Arm: He has like 80,000,000 movies left on his contract. He probably won't take up the role of Cap like some people thing, but I do not see Bucky dying.
Chubby Chipmunk: Rocket ain't goin nowhere.
Space Man: Quill has a lot of unresolved character development that probably needs to happen. I don't see him dying.
The Invisible Man: Drax could die. Or we could have more character development from him trying to figure out what to do after Thanos bites the dus-um wow poor choice of words.
I Am Groot: I Am Groot.
Why Are There So Many Characters?: Mantis was just introduced. C'mon.
Green Giant Green Beans: I'd say she stays dead...until GotG Vol. 3.
Cyborg Amelia Pond: Either joins the Guardians or dies. I'm leaning towards the later.
Barney: Seriously? Thanos is the villain. He gon die.

Watch me be completely wrong.

Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking.  I'm also wondering whether A4 will somewhat follow the pattern of Return of the King, with the main action being over, and then an extended epilogue where the film just kind of ties up the loose ends and closes the book on a lot of characters we won't be seeing again.

I never realized how much I wanted this. It'd be such a nice way to end the movie.

I don't see them making Stark head of SHIELD. It'd really step on the toes of the television shows and rile up a bunch of fans (which they probs don't want). Plus, it'd make all that "end-game" foreshadowing moot and would hurt his character development imo.

Online Adami

« Reply #1516 on: May 11, 2018, 11:42:51 AM »
The only show it would step on is Agents of SHIELD, which to my knowledge hasn't been renewed yet, and if so, likely won't get too many more seasons for it to matter.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #1517 on: May 11, 2018, 11:58:23 AM »
The only show it would step on is Agents of SHIELD, which to my knowledge hasn't been renewed yet, and if so, likely won't get too many more seasons for it to matter.

Yeah, that's what I was referring to. Even though abc has a penchant for cancelling things seemingly at random (I've joked that abc stands for Already Been Cancelled), I think we're at least gonna get one more season out of AoS. afaik the show is moving towards a close though (I'm about a season behind oops) so it'll probably wrap up after another season or two. Which will air right around the time A4 does.

Even then though, I don't think it's a good idea. It could happen, but I really hope not. I'd rather finally get closure on Iron Man's story.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1518 on: May 11, 2018, 12:39:24 PM »
Well, here's an interesting theory:  https://screenrant.com/infinity-war-loki-hulk-banner/

As I was first reading it, I started to buy in.  I makes a LOT of sense.  But then, about halfway through, I shot it down pretty quickly.  As much sense as it makes on the surface, there is one GLARING hole in the theory that the article does not address:  there were a couple of times where Banner is not with any of the other Avengers and is either trying to coax the Hulk out, or is having dialog with Hulk.  If it were merely Loki posing as Banner, that would make no sense.  It is in intriguing theory.  But upon a bit of reflection, I don't see how it could possibly be true.  And part of me is kinda bummed about that.  :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1519 on: May 11, 2018, 02:01:05 PM »
I like the idea of a more prominent role for Shuri.  In the comics, she is the Queen of Wakanda in many threads (along with being a BP), so there's that possibility too.  With T'Challa 'dead', she is indeed the rightful heir at the moment - and has all the tech to be the BP... don't dare try to tell me there ain't no more Heart-Shaped Herb's out there!  Somebody in Wakanda has a secret stash.

@ Bosk... I concur.  In the movies - AND in the comics - virtually every driving force behind Tony and his actions/decisions is guilt or regret.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1520 on: May 12, 2018, 12:54:06 AM »
ABC officially cancelled Inhumans and I for one am at a loss for words..

Online Adami

« Reply #1521 on: May 12, 2018, 01:29:01 AM »
ABC officially cancelled Inhumans and I for one am at a loss for words..
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1522 on: May 12, 2018, 01:44:21 AM »
 :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1523 on: May 12, 2018, 06:26:15 AM »
He's playing the new captain on the new Star Trek series.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1524 on: May 13, 2018, 09:10:08 AM »
Saw Age of Ultron a few days ago. Still like it more than the first Avengers movie. Overall, pretty good.

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #1525 on: May 13, 2018, 01:32:37 PM »
I'll be honest, I really like Age of Ultron. I don't think it deserves all the hate it gets. The like 20min on the Barton Farm is one of my favorite parts of any Marvel movie.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1526 on: May 13, 2018, 06:37:14 PM »
The more I see all the pieces fit together, I honestly don’t understand the hate for any of them. 

I will admit that IM3 is probably the least favorite....but I actually still really like it. 

I’m currently a bit bummed that Agent Carter isn’t available streaming anywhere.  (Well....not without paying beyond what I’m already paying).  It’s almost become a fun little quest now for the wife and I to track down every little corner of this little “universe” they’ve built.   In some ways, I hate the fact that that is exactly what they wanted.   Makes me feel slightly manipulated.   But at the end of the day, you got to say “what the heck” sometimes.  Especially when you’re having fun.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1527 on: May 13, 2018, 07:26:10 PM »
I love all the Iron Man movies. Even Iron Man 3 is better than the Thors (imo) - although the cop-out with the Mandarin is annoying. I don't get the hate for the kid either.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1528 on: May 13, 2018, 09:50:50 PM »
I get that Dark World is really annoying to some purists, but being a HUGE fan of Kat Dennings (I will watch her in ANYTHING....even if it’s horrible....on mute if I must)....but even just at a Marvel level, it’s so important to the story arc that it’s hard for me to hate on it too much.  I mean, The Incredible Hulk...which everyone admits is the red-headed step-child of the MCU...is so non-essential to the overall story arc that the powers that be would almost have you dismiss it altogether.    And it’s STILL more entertaining than Thor 2 or IM3.     But the latter tie into the story arc more so.....

Ya, there’s not a single movie that doesn’t have rewatchability in my opinion.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 11:13:19 AM by jammindude »
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1529 on: May 13, 2018, 11:52:42 PM »
Only MCU movie I’ve only seen once is my least favorite one: Ant-Man. I have pretty much no interest in seeing it again.

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1530 on: May 15, 2018, 02:32:27 AM »
A little opinion in a hurry about recent watches

PS: Can't wait to see deadpool2, the MCU champion

JJ season 2 : 50% pleasure, I was happy watching it but it wasn't heroic enough for me, too systematic cliffhanger styled, too slow and not enough violent. It wasn't even a life lesson or a big step in JJ's head. It was more of a "season 2 : how to deal with this shitty situation"

Avengers IW : 100% pleasure, fan service, cast, violence, humour, thanos...I could make lists of all that I loved in it :)
Honestly, I think we're seeing everyone in A4 and it will happen in the soul stone and earth.
I think too that people in the stone are gonna live and the others alive are endangered or to be sacrificed.
I smell new avengers with strange/spidey/maybe antman etc
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1531 on: May 15, 2018, 04:35:39 AM »
Great news: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. got renewed for (an albeit shorter) season 6! :hefdaddy
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1532 on: May 15, 2018, 07:46:52 AM »
Surprising, but good news.  I was just catching up on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. the other day, got through three more episodes, two to go.  Still some silly shit, but the show has continued to get better and better, even as they slash the budget and give them less and less to work with.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1533 on: May 15, 2018, 08:44:20 AM »
AOS is one of my favorite comic book shows, hope the shorter season doesn’t mean it’s their last one :'(
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1534 on: May 15, 2018, 08:52:58 AM »
Is he beginning of the present season available yet?  I missed it when it aired, and it wasn't on Netflix for awhile, so I am out of the loop on present happenings.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1535 on: May 15, 2018, 09:14:30 AM »
Is he beginning of the present season available yet?  I missed it when it aired, and it wasn't on Netflix for awhile, so I am out of the loop on present happenings.

jingle.son and I have about 11 episodes saved on the DVR to go thru.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1536 on: May 15, 2018, 10:57:19 AM »
AOS is one of my favorite comic book shows, hope the shorter season doesn’t mean it’s their last one :'(

I'm thinking it will be.  I'd already assumed that this season was the last.  When they start cutting the budget and ordering fewer episodes, that's never a good sign.  ABC is ready to cut this one.  :'(

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #1537 on: May 15, 2018, 03:08:31 PM »
https://tvline.com/2018/05/15/agents-of-shield-season-6-summer-2019/

According to this interview with the president of ABC, Season 6 of AoS will be in the Summer of next year and does not look to be their last since it has such high delayed viewing numbers. It may be a summer show from now on, however.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1538 on: May 15, 2018, 04:42:27 PM »
So the show has basically been downgraded from a regular series to a "summer fill-in" kind of series.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1539 on: May 15, 2018, 05:06:51 PM »
On the bright side, that would mean they would come out after Avengers 4, so they don't have to try to work around the events of Infinity War.