Author Topic: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe v2 (SPOILERS)  (Read 248482 times)

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
Re: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe *SPOILERS* 2
« Reply #1435 on: May 03, 2018, 06:51:56 AM »
Not sure how I missed this, but I just realized that the first Iron Man was released in the US exactly 10 years ago today.   So I guess that means the MCU is officially 10 years old. 

19 movies and I don’t know how many TV series later....and I can honestly say I haven’t seen a single thing I didn’t at least enjoy.  (I have avoided the Inhumans).   Seriously, even though they are on the bottom of my list, I even have fun when I watch Thor 2, The Incredible Hulk, and Iron Man 3.   They are not amazing films, but if that’s the worst Marvel can dish out, it’s still better than half of the popcorn movies in existence.   

I’d say its been a pretty amazing 10 years.   Congrats to Marvel.   IMO, they have now become the greatest franchise in the history of cinema. 

In my opinion, the worst Marvel films are still entertaining, visually spectacular, and worth paying money for. Considering there are 20 of them, that's a damn fine achievement.

BTW, I really thought IW brought back the quality in patented Marvel one liners.

"Who's your Master?"

"What am I supposed to say, Jesus?"

:lol

I also enjoyed this exchange that I am about to butcher:

"Holding it open will kill you!"

"Only if I end up dying!"

"Uh... Yes... That's what killing you means..?"

:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1436 on: May 03, 2018, 06:57:11 AM »
BTW, I really thought IW brought back the quality in patented Marvel one liners.

"Who's your Master?"

"What am I supposed to say, Jesus?"

There were a lot of great quips for sure.  IMO, one moment was overdone (the Quill vs Thor manliness banter), and one was a little over-the-top and out of place (Thor/Groot/Cap on the field in Wakanda).  Like they're gonna have that kind of banter with 100s of Outriders on the prowl.   ::)  Otherwise, excellent stuff.

You, Squidward.
I would've washed that first (Thor's eye).
Blast that nut-sac right off your face.

Almost all of the humour came from the appropriate sources (Peter, Tony, Rocket, Quill... all the smart-asses being true to their character).  If it had come from T'Challa or Wanda or Vision or Nebula, that would've been wrong.

Question...does anyone remember if the final scene with Thanos (in his hut looking at the moon-set) showed the Gauntlet?  When it zoomed in on him, I don't recall seeing it - his arm (from the elbow up was all we saw) was still all charred, but I don't specifically remember seeing the gauntlet on his hand in any of the other angles of that scene.  I ask, because I saw a theory that this is actually the end of the next movie - comparable to the end of Infinity Gauntlet comic (where he ends up a farmer, at peace with himself after having had absolute power).
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1437 on: May 03, 2018, 07:10:09 AM »
He did not have it on.  i actually looked for it on screen when I saw it wasn't on his hand.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1438 on: May 03, 2018, 07:18:42 AM »
Not sure how I missed this, but I just realized that the first Iron Man was released in the US exactly 10 years ago today.   So I guess that means the MCU is officially 10 years old. 

19 movies and I don’t know how many TV series later....and I can honestly say I haven’t seen a single thing I didn’t at least enjoy.  (I have avoided the Inhumans).   Seriously, even though they are on the bottom of my list, I even have fun when I watch Thor 2, The Incredible Hulk, and Iron Man 3.   They are not amazing films, but if that’s the worst Marvel can dish out, it’s still better than half of the popcorn movies in existence.   

I’d say its been a pretty amazing 10 years.   Congrats to Marvel.   IMO, they have now become the greatest franchise in the history of cinema. 

Iron Man was one of the "lesser-known" Marvel heroes at the time, but when we were kids, a friend of mine was a huge Iron Man fan, collected all the comic books he could get, all that, and through him I became a fan.  So when Iron Man with RDJr (one of my favorite actors) came out, I was automatically in.

Then the "hidden scene" (we weren't sure what to call them at first) with Nick Fury talking about "the Avengers initiative" hinted at a much larger endeavor, and I thought "Cool, they'll probably make a movie with each of them, then an Avengers movie with all of them together.  That'll be cool."  I don't think anyone had any idea that the MCU would become so huge, with so many characters and so many movies.  It really is an amazing series.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1439 on: May 03, 2018, 07:30:14 AM »

There were a lot of great quips for sure.  IMO, one moment was overdone (the Quill vs Thor manliness banter), and one was a little over-the-top and out of place (Thor/Groot/Cap on the field in Wakanda).  Like they're gonna have that kind of banter with 100s of Outriders on the prowl.   ::)  Otherwise, excellent stuff.

I don't know, I thought it was pretty funny. Especially when Drax said, "It's like a pirate had a baby with an angel."

And the bit in Wakanda worked, IMO, because for several movies we've been conditioned to hear "I am Groot" as anything but. Then when Cap first hears it, the super polite Steve in him automatically responds with, "I am Steve Rogers."   :biggrin:

You, Squidward.
I would've washed that first (Thor's eye).
Blast that nut-sac right off your face.

Those were all gold. Gold, Jerry!
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1440 on: May 03, 2018, 07:46:04 AM »
He did not have it on.  i actually looked for it on screen when I saw it wasn't on his hand.

Ok, I wasn't sure about THAT scene.  He for sure didn't have it on with his brief visit to Soul World with little Gamora, but I wasn't sure about the hut on the hill scene.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1441 on: May 03, 2018, 08:47:20 AM »
I actually thought that he did have it on in that scene, because I also looked for it and thought I saw it. Could be wrong though, I'll see it for a third time tonight so I'll check again.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1442 on: May 03, 2018, 09:17:38 AM »
I feel like I saw it too, but I need to see it again. That whole ending scene I was just like "THEY INCLUDED THE DAMN SCARECROW"
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1443 on: May 03, 2018, 09:25:16 AM »
I feel like I saw it too, but I need to see it again. That whole ending scene I was just like "THEY INCLUDED THE DAMN SCARECROW"

Ooh... I missed that - both times.  Damn.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1444 on: May 03, 2018, 10:43:41 AM »
It may have only been a three second clip, but the shot of Gamora rocking out in the chair to Rubberband Man was about as sexy as anything can be.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1445 on: May 03, 2018, 11:39:48 AM »
My absolute favorite banter in the whole movie is on Titan with Quill, Stark, and Spidey. The pop culture references, Quill's "What am I supposed to say, Jesus?!" etc. I love all of it. Plus the awesome Titan scenery.

In fact Quill has become one of my favorite MCU characters. He (and Chris Patt) are just awesome.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1446 on: May 03, 2018, 11:43:09 AM »
WHY is Gamora?

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1447 on: May 03, 2018, 11:43:37 AM »
Enyone else LOL'ed at the way they killed Ebony Maw? I was like :rollin :rollin :rollin
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online Dream Team

« Reply #1448 on: May 03, 2018, 01:44:36 PM »
Maybe I missed something, but I thought Loki was in league with Thanos since the first Avengers movie. Why not just hand him the Tesseract and be done with it? Why try to kill him? He wasn't gonna kill Thor if Loki gave him the cube is my understanding.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1449 on: May 03, 2018, 02:15:10 PM »
Maybe I missed something, but I thought Loki was in league with Thanos since the first Avengers movie. Why not just hand him the Tesseract and be done with it? Why try to kill him? He wasn't gonna kill Thor if Loki gave him the cube is my understanding.

Loki has always been in league with himself, and over the last few movies, grew a bit of a conscience.  In Avengers 1, Thanos was manipulating him... I wouldn't quite say he was in league with Thanos.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1450 on: May 03, 2018, 08:11:11 PM »
Holy cow. Black Panther is already coming out on digital and Blu-ray. Digital on May 8th, Blu-ray about a week later. It's still in theaters (or at least it was last week, I haven't checked). Can anybody think of a turnaround from cinema to home viewing that quickly? Can't wait to get it.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online Adami

« Reply #1451 on: May 03, 2018, 08:12:45 PM »
Holy cow. Black Panther is already coming out on digital and Blu-ray. Digital on May 8th, Blu-ray about a week later. It's still in theaters (or at least it was last week, I haven't checked). Can anybody think of a turnaround from cinema to home viewing that quickly? Can't wait to get it.

No complaints from me. I go see my mom in Israel in mid June and need the blu ray to show her the movie finally.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1452 on: May 03, 2018, 08:43:19 PM »
Adam.  I hope you post some pictures from the trip.  I'd love to see the country.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online Adami

« Reply #1453 on: May 03, 2018, 08:57:31 PM »
Adam.  I hope you post some pictures from the trip.  I'd love to see the country.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1454 on: May 03, 2018, 09:08:27 PM »

Damn auto correct.   Thanks anyway Adam.  From Jo.

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #1455 on: May 04, 2018, 07:44:49 AM »
Infinity War spoilers in this post for those of you who haven't seen it yet.

tbh I think it fits nicely with his character development over the past movies (especially Ragnarok). It really shows that he's developed from someone who mostly acts in their own best interest even if it's at the expense of others to someone who is willing to sacrifice himself for an attempt to stop a bigger evil. I don't really think he took the Tesseract off of Asgard to give to Thanos, but more because "this could come in handy". Also, Thanos does blow up their ship right after getting the Space Stone with Thor still on it, so idk about Thanos still sparing him

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1456 on: May 04, 2018, 09:04:40 AM »
I can't help think what an idiot Loki is for trying that. Especially with all of the Black Order around him, too.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1457 on: May 04, 2018, 09:11:45 AM »
Agreed with Ninja.  Though, Movie-Loki and Comic-Loki are quite different - I think primarily because how fantastically Tom Hiddleston played him - he was a great villain in Avengers 1, and the fans started to love him, so Movie-Loki evolved to be not quite as evil as Comic-Loki (at least, the 20th Century comics... I haven't read much with Loki in it from the 2000s).

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1458 on: May 04, 2018, 09:55:48 AM »
Okay so saw it again last night, looked for the gauntlet in the final cabin-scene. It looks like he isn't wearing it. What confused me the first times was that his hand (and most of the left side of his body) is completely burned and messed up from the snap, making his left arm not look natural, making me think he was still wearing it.

So much to like about this movie, enjoyed it just as much on my third viewing.

Online Polarbear

« Reply #1459 on: May 04, 2018, 10:41:00 AM »
https://youtu.be/CX11yw6YL1w

Has anybody seen this? Céline Dion doing the theme song for Deadpool 2! Can't believe she said yes to this.. :lol

Online Adami

« Reply #1460 on: May 04, 2018, 10:42:42 AM »

Has anybody seen this? Céline Dion doing the theme song for Deadpool 2! Can't believe she said yes to this.. :lol

I'm not TOO familiar with Ms. Dion, so for the first like 1/3 of that, I thought they edited one of her other videos with Deadpool screwing around. Amazing.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1461 on: May 04, 2018, 10:45:41 AM »

Can't believe this is for real :rollin :rollin :rollin
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1462 on: May 04, 2018, 11:32:28 AM »
 :rollin
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1463 on: May 04, 2018, 12:28:30 PM »

I'm not TOO familiar with Ms. Dion, so for the first like 1/3 of that, I thought they edited one of her other videos with Deadpool screwing around. Amazing.

mrs.jingle shared it with me yesterday, and I thought the exact same thing.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1464 on: May 04, 2018, 12:48:24 PM »
*moves Celine up the cool people scale*

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1465 on: May 07, 2018, 09:59:46 AM »
Saw it yesterday, finally, as part of the conclusions of a fantastic and exhausting weekend.  What a great movie.  I have read through all the comments here, and a few articles in other places online.  Without beating a dead horse, I'll just mention a couple of points I haven't seen talked up too much here (or at least, I'll try to add a little something different to points that may have been mentioned):

-Pacing and tone:  What a seemingly impossible task to manage in something with a scope this big.  Yet, somehow, it all basically works, and works pretty well.  There was a point where it started to feel like it was just getting a bit too corny as just a giant McGuffin quest, and for me, that point was right around the time of the quest for the soul stone.  But then the stakes got raised with Gamorra, and it all just felt right. 

-Thanos' power and character:  Yeah, this HAS been commented on a lot.  I'll just echo what I have seen others say.  The opening fight with him dispensing of Hulk and Loki strightaway removed any doubt about his power.  The prior films left us guessing.  In Guardians 1, for example, we saw a fair amount of him.  But we were left not really knowing what to think, IMO.  He was set up as someone to be feared, but all we really saw him do was sit in a chair and give order or issue threats.  We never actually saw him DO anything.  Here, we did.  And it was all very cool.  This definitely WAS his movie, and pretty much everything about him felt right.

-The stakes were high, and you actually FELT it.  That was my biggest complaints with Ragnarok and, to a lesser degree, Black Panther.  We were told that the stakes were high.  But somehow, I just didn't feel it.  Different story here. 

-The children of Thanos/black order were so friggin' cool.  Come on.  They just were.  There were definitely times when they seemed to blink back and forth from WAY overpowered to WAY too easily defeated.  But overall, it was fine.

-Alien franchise references were HILARIOUSLY AWESOME.

-The overall plot and arrangement of scenes and locations was, IMO, VERY cool and well thought out.  With so many locations, it is easy to feel lost.  But I didn't.  Not even a little bit.  There was a really nice mixture of familiar and new, but nothing felt out of place, and there was always a good reason to be where we were.

-The ending and deaths:  Mixed feelings about seeing characters like Spidey and Black Panther bite the dust.  Yeah, I guess it is easy to feel cheated and feel like it is all just going to be unwound.  But it was also a big "Whoa!  What?  But--THEY HAVE A MOVIE COMING OUT LATER WITH HIM!  NO WAY!!!" moment that, for me, worked. 

-The ending, pt. II:  I expect to go into a Marvel film to have fun.  I expect to have some nostalgia with some of the characters I grew up with.  I don't expect to get dramatic chills.  The ending here...it kinda got me.  Seeing characters just suddenly leave us, combined with the music, combined with "The Avengers Thanos will return" at the end just all worked.  And it got me.  Big time.

I could nitpick the things that bothered me.  But I have to say that, overall, this film worked big-time.  It was everything it should have been.  Too much "new car smell" to comment definitively, but I'll just go ahead and say that this feels like it will be my favorite thus far, taking the place of the first Avengers film.

"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1466 on: May 07, 2018, 10:03:31 AM »
"The Avengers Thanos will return" at the end

Is that posted after the end-credits scene?  I didn't see that when I went on opening night, and I didn't bother sticking around for the end-credits scene on viewing #2.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1467 on: May 07, 2018, 10:15:00 AM »
Yeah, it's at the very end. SPOILERS AHEAD OF COURSE...

I saw it again Friday (in a theater with big reclining chairs - never going back to normal seats after those, omg). A few things stood out to me this time: Ebony Maw is just plain AWESOME. I love it. His sycophantic devotion to T2hanos, the way he casually waves his fingers and shows off his amazing powers, I love everything about that character and kind of wish he would've made it to part 2 because he got the most lines and screentime and just plain rocked.

Thanos's fight against Hulk: Thanos isn't just big and buff, dude has combat skills. Look at how swift and agile he is even in his armor, holding his ground firmly while going full hand-to-hand combat against Hulk. That scene is so good.

All the scenes on Titan are just plain awesome, particularly when Quill flips Thanos the bird and falls through the portal, Spidey portal-hopping all over Thanos (perfect use of Spidey's agility), and again, Dr. Strange going full sorcerer.

My favorite lines in the whole movie are the Footloose exchange between Spidey and Quill. And also the way Stark says, "Excuse me, you selling tickets?" to Strange in the beginning :)

Oh, and this time, there was a guy and his girlfriend to my left... once again, the girl would not shut up the ENTIRE film, and had to be explained everything (she didn't even know who Bruce Banner/Hulk was)... but the guy was losing his mind and it was really fun for me to pick up on his reactions. When Drax and Mantis first got "killed" he freaked out, when Quill pulled the trigger on Gamora he about lost it, and when Spidey started to go I could hear an audible "...nonoNO WTF"  :lol :lol :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1468 on: May 07, 2018, 12:22:35 PM »
"The Avengers Thanos will return" at the end

Is that posted after the end-credits scene?  I didn't see that when I went on opening night, and I didn't bother sticking around for the end-credits scene on viewing #2.

I didn't either....though I have a free movie pass and am debating hitting it for a 3rd go around later today. If I do, I'll stick around :p

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #1469 on: May 07, 2018, 12:34:46 PM »
It is there. I am positive.

I have seen it several times.