Author Topic: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe v2 (SPOILERS)  (Read 252304 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe *SPOILERS* 2
« Reply #1330 on: April 27, 2018, 01:56:00 PM »
"Go back"?  Is it safe to assume you've seen them all at some point already? 

Of course.  And with two boys in the house, we've seen them all SEVERAL times over* (except Panther, which we only saw once in the theater).  I just didn't know if there were any grand connections to any particular films that it might help to brush up on.

*My basic formula for life is, I calculate that not bringing my shopping cart back to the corral saves me about :30 per store visit.  So I keep a tally, and once I've racked up enough minutes "saved" to equal the amount of a MCU film, we watch it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1331 on: April 27, 2018, 02:56:54 PM »

Guardians 1 is the movie that introduces the Infinity Stones, so that movie is pretty essential. I would argue that Cap 1 and Avengers 1 is pretty important as well.
Black Panther and Spidey was introduced in Civil War, and what happens in those stand-alone movies doesn't really have an impact on IW. Neither does really Guardians 2.

Have you seen IW yet?  If so, I'm baffled at this assessment.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1332 on: April 27, 2018, 03:01:56 PM »

Guardians 1 is the movie that introduces the Infinity Stones, so that movie is pretty essential. I would argue that Cap 1 and Avengers 1 is pretty important as well.
Black Panther and Spidey was introduced in Civil War, and what happens in those stand-alone movies doesn't really have an impact on IW. Neither does really Guardians 2.

Have you seen IW yet?  If so, I'm baffled at this assessment.

I can see his point, but only so far as plot goes. But plot really isn't the most important part of this film. It's the characters, their relationships and how they've developed. You definitely need those movies for that aspect of it.

But if it's ONLY about following the general plot, then I can see them not being necessary.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1333 on: April 27, 2018, 03:58:39 PM »
Fair point.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #1334 on: April 27, 2018, 04:18:10 PM »
Yeah, what I really ment is if you are just an average movie-goer and want to catch up with things that doesnt leave you utterly confused.
Yes, Black Panther introduces Wakanda and a lot of characters, but the plot of the movie is not THAT essential to the overall plot of IW. Wakanda as a location is though, so watching Black Panther is still recommended.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1335 on: April 27, 2018, 05:15:36 PM »
*My basic formula for life is, I calculate that not bringing my shopping cart back to the corral saves me about :30 per store visit.  So I keep a tally, and once I've racked up enough minutes "saved" to equal the amount of a MCU film, we watch it.

Well played.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1336 on: April 28, 2018, 12:27:45 PM »

From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Adami

« Reply #1337 on: April 28, 2018, 12:52:30 PM »
This is a Deadpool 2 post, but I dunno where else to put it.

So I was watching that whole audition scene again, and realized there's a poster on the back wall directly referencing Captain Marvel and Mar-Vell. I thought it was a cool little touch.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1338 on: April 28, 2018, 01:03:11 PM »

:clap:

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1339 on: April 28, 2018, 03:56:31 PM »

So I was watching that whole audition scene again, and realized there's a poster on the back wall directly referencing Captain Marvel and Mar-Vell. I thought it was a cool little touch.

The Presley vs Cayson one?

Offline Adami

« Reply #1340 on: April 28, 2018, 03:57:08 PM »

The Presley vs Cayson one?

Yea. I can't figure out the relevance of the names, but it might mean something.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1341 on: April 28, 2018, 06:59:12 PM »

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1342 on: April 28, 2018, 08:23:33 PM »
So the deaths....not like Game of Thrones deaths where they're legit dead. Kind of a copout to have a cliffhanger like this only to have a copout solution in a future film.

Offline Adami

« Reply #1343 on: April 28, 2018, 08:34:02 PM »
So the deaths....not like Game of Thrones deaths where they're legit dead. Kind of a copout to have a cliffhanger like this only to have a copout solution in a future film.

Well the deaths you're talking about were obviously not permanent.

SOME, however.....were. I am pretty sure Heimdall, Gamora, Loki, and Vision are dead. But, sorry you didn't dig it.

Also I guess we're just into spoilers now? I"ll stick to small font for now.
This is why I went in not caring about who dies. It's not just never going to be satisfactory.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1344 on: April 28, 2018, 09:33:44 PM »
I just got out of it and don't know what to do with myself. I was wrong on every single prediction I made about this movie. It ticked every box, it lives up to the hype (and more), and literally the only complaint I have was related to some CGI on one character in a very small shot. That's it.

Screw critics who say it's overstuffed, just a setup for part 2, blah blah... if you like the MCU, you'll love this. Saw Iron Man in theaters almost 10 years ago to the day with my best friend, and we just left Infinity War 100% satisfied. I want to see it tomorrow, and then Monday, and then Tuesday.

I was this close to going back in for another viewing. Man... WOW.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1345 on: April 28, 2018, 11:53:15 PM »
I just got out of it and don't know what to do with myself. I was wrong on every single prediction I made about this movie. It ticked every box, it lives up to the hype (and more), and literally the only complaint I have was related to some CGI on one character in a very small shot. That's it.

Screw critics who say it's overstuffed, just a setup for part 2, blah blah... if you like the MCU, you'll love this. Saw Iron Man in theaters almost 10 years ago to the day with my best friend, and we just left Infinity War 100% satisfied. I want to see it tomorrow, and then Monday, and then Tuesday.

Pretty much my take on it as well, I was that blown away. I only had one issue with one character use in a scene where something or someone more could have been used, just didn't make any sense to me. If someone has a deeper perspective from the comics I'd appreciate some enlightenment....

I'm talking about Red Skull and his scene with the Soul Stone. I know he didn't die in Captain #1, but he just seemed like such an underwhelming persona for such an important scene. Seemed to me that would have been a perfect spot to use Death, since she is so closely tied to the original story with Thanos. I'm not very well versed in the comic version though, so please correct me if I'm off base here....

Offline Adami

« Reply #1346 on: April 29, 2018, 12:02:45 AM »

Pretty much my take on it as well, I was that blown away. I only had one issue with one character use in a scene where something or someone more could have been used, just didn't make any sense to me. If someone has a deeper perspective from the comics I'd appreciate some enlightenment....

I'm talking about Red Skull and his scene with the Soul Stone. I know he didn't die in Captain #1, but he just seemed like such an underwhelming persona for such an important scene. Seemed to me that would have been a perfect spot to use Death, since she is so closely tied to the original story with Thanos. I'm not very well versed in the comic version though, so please correct me if I'm off base here....

Well Death wouldn't have made any sense either. I was thinking Adam Warlock since he has a big connection to the Soul Stone in the comics, but I knew he wasn't in the movie. It could have been either a nobody, a very deep random pull from the comics, or someone like Red Skull who got pulled by the other stone anyway. I guess they thought this choice made the most sense. I thought it was cool, even if a bit random.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1347 on: April 29, 2018, 12:06:59 AM »
What Adami said. :)

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1348 on: April 29, 2018, 02:04:11 AM »
Just got back......and WOW.....JUST WOW....

And I feel justified in what I said a year ago. When they FIRST took out the “part 1” I told everyone....”don’t believe it. It’s still part 1. They are just trying not to tell you beforehand that they are going to leave you with a cliffhanger.”
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1349 on: April 29, 2018, 03:03:37 AM »
I said screw it, and read the plot synopsis for Infinity War. I wasn't losing my sleep over Infinity War, and I'm not all that sensitive about spoilers anyway so went ahead.

What I read was pretty ballsy. I'm now pretty excited to see how they pull it off. Can't wait to see it now!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1350 on: April 29, 2018, 06:05:12 AM »
What Adami said. :)

Exactly. 

My minor 'nit's'

CGI Red Skull was too bad.  Not sure why Hugo Weaving has a hate on for Marvel movies.  The voice actor they got did a fabulous job
The ONLY CGI issue I had with Thanos was on Sanctuary with Gamora, when he sat down on the stairs in front of his throne.  That was kinda awkward, but the ONLY time I noticed it
Didn't like how Gamora gave up the Soul Stone as quick as she did, just because Nebula was getting tortured.  She was wanted Peter to kill her, and was willing kill herself before Thanos got it, but gave it up after a few screams from Nebula???  Nebula... who spent 1.5 movies trying to kill her!
Thor made a comment of the Mind and Time Stones being safe on Earth.  How did he know the Time stone was on Earth?  Strange never mentioned it in their interaction from Ragnarok.
How did Thor know to go to Wakanda after Stormbreaker was forged?
Didn't really like how all four of the Black Order were bested.

Just had to get that out.  I'll wait until tomorrow before discussing anything more.  I assume we should be good for non-tiny-font tomorrow?  I know some still will not have seen it, but I guess you'll just have to avoid this thread.   :biggrin:

Also, really confused as to why Marvel (and other studios) use footage in trailers that doesn't show up in the movie.  Some of the missing footage doesn't make any sense either ( the group charging out of the forest in Wakanda led by Cap includes the Hulk - who never came out at all after the opening scene - which is a whole other discussion!)

Online faizoff

« Reply #1351 on: April 29, 2018, 07:47:40 AM »
The trailers nowadays are purposely adding footage that is not in the movie to throw off people's expectations I think. Also as it happens the trailer is made by another marketing team not connected with the movie making process.

Sometimes plans changes when editing and they leave out or change things that were shown in the trailer.

That said, regarding your comment on the CGI, I think they legitimately did an outstanding job and I didn't care to notice for the most part. I'm sure on second viewings I'll be able to make out more. But in a movie that was so heavily CGI dependent, I think they got away with most of it.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1352 on: April 29, 2018, 07:57:52 AM »
This isn't spoilery, so: my only complaint about the CGI involved Gamora as she looks up at Thanos when it's snowing. Look at her face and you can see the edges fade in and out where her hair moves behind her cheek and forehead.

Thanos looked absolutely incredible and truly frightening at times.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1353 on: April 29, 2018, 08:21:36 AM »
The trailers nowadays are purposely adding footage that is not in the movie to throw off people's expectations I think. Also as it happens the trailer is made by another marketing team not connected with the movie making process.

Sometimes plans changes when editing and they leave out or change things that were shown in the trailer.

That said, regarding your comment on the CGI, I think they legitimately did an outstanding job and I didn't care to notice for the most part. I'm sure on second viewings I'll be able to make out more. But in a movie that was so heavily CGI dependent, I think they got away with most of it.

Don't get me wrong, the CGI was top notch, A+ job for sure.  Just a couple of instances where it was a bit 'off'.  Not Steppenwolf-off, but just not as good (perfect?) as 98% of the rest of the movie.  Again, MINOR nit on my part.

jingle.kids just left to go see it again with some friends; jingle.son and I are back in the theatre tomorrow afternoon.  It's that... fucking ... good.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1354 on: April 29, 2018, 10:12:08 AM »

This.

And I could have sworn Ant Man was shown in the original trailer as well.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1355 on: April 29, 2018, 10:52:57 AM »
I damn near jumped out of my seat at this scene, because I was on the edge of my seat the entire movie and didn't even think about it until it was happening:

HE THREW THE FRICKIN MOON!!! I remember seeing a very fuzzy leak of it a long time ago, but when he actually did it, OMG!!

Online faizoff

« Reply #1356 on: April 29, 2018, 11:52:50 AM »
For sure, there were some jaw-dropping sequences that really had me on the edge of my seat. I really am itching pretty bad to go watch it again today.

I've been re-watching some of the older MCU movies, finished Guardians of the Galaxy and am on Age of Ultron. Ultron has actually aged better than I thought, I think I would've preferred it going to a direction more story driven than action oriented.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1357 on: April 29, 2018, 12:13:24 PM »
For sure, there were some jaw-dropping sequences that really had me on the edge of my seat. I really am itching pretty bad to go watch it again today.

I've been re-watching some of the older MCU movies, finished Guardians of the Galaxy and am on Age of Ultron. Ultron has actually aged better than I thought, I think I would've preferred it going to a direction more story driven than action oriented.

I don't think Ultron has aged well, but after watching Infinity War, I'm down to watch it again in a truncated MCU marathon, so that it leads sooner into Infinity War, and is slightly more focused on Vision that way.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #1358 on: April 29, 2018, 02:09:27 PM »
I just realized everyone who was dead in Tony's vision in AOU survived Thanos.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1359 on: April 29, 2018, 02:41:50 PM »
I damn near jumped out of my seat at this scene, because I was on the edge of my seat the entire movie and didn't even think about it until it was happening:

HE THREW THE FRICKIN MOON!!! I remember seeing a very fuzzy leak of it a long time ago, but when he actually did it, OMG!!

That was off the fucking hook man...there was a rather vocal dude in the theater I saw it at opening night who screamed at the screen "WHAT THE FUCK IS HE DOING??????"

Telling ya man, that opening night audience was priceless.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1360 on: April 29, 2018, 02:49:13 PM »
I just realized everyone who was dead in Tony's vision in AOU survived Thanos.

Yeah, it's all the original Avengers that survived + Rhodey and Nebula.  I don't think they ever showed if Shuri made it?

Telling ya man, that opening night audience was priceless.

Damn straight!

Times that the theater I was in went nuts:

Stan Lee
Iron Man nanites
Iron Spider
Captain America on the scene.
Multiple Dr. Stranges
Wanda joining the Wakanda battle
Thor landing in Wakanda with Stormbreaker - probably the biggest pop
Stormbreaker to the heart of Thanos
Paging Captain Marvel

Probably others, but that's what I remember.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1361 on: April 29, 2018, 03:05:20 PM »
Dr. Strange in battle (the later one, not the first one) was so amazing. That's just another example of why he's one of my favorite Marvel heroes.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1362 on: April 29, 2018, 03:42:00 PM »
Just got back.  Here's my review.

HOLY S#!T!!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1363 on: April 29, 2018, 04:05:44 PM »

Times that the theater I was in went nuts:

Stan Lee
Iron Man nanites
Iron Spider
Captain America on the scene.
Multiple Dr. Stranges
Wanda joining the Wakanda battle
Thor landing in Wakanda with Stormbreaker - probably the biggest pop
Stormbreaker to the heart of Thanos
Paging Captain Marvel

Probably others, but that's what I remember.

Yeah, same with mine. Personally the most hilarious moment was ...The dude next to me was on a date, possibly a first date, and wasn't totally up to snuff with his Infinity War knowledge, especially the comic book version(destroying half the universe), so when it all ended and the credits started rolling, I hear this disparaging voice next to me say "they lost??!!!?!?!!!??"

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1364 on: April 29, 2018, 05:31:19 PM »
Just saw it, yes this film is something special. Not just a retread of the first two Avengers films with more heroes and a bigger baddie. Pretty ballsy film overall and it successfully uses the MCU's prior 18 films worth of baggage.

Stakes were huge and the film is balanced perfectly, even taking the proper time for many emotional scenes and letting some shots linger when appropriate. I thought this film was less stuffed than Age of Ultron and Civil War to be honest, or at least better balanced and paced. Only one cut was mildly confusing for a second, when they did a flashback. No idea where the overstuffed critique is coming from. Also, the CGI is top notch for the most part. No really spotty scenes like Ragnarock and especially Black Panther had. And it looks like 10-12 years ahead in tech compared to Justice League, not even kidding (which I also watched a part of this week).