Author Topic: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe v2 (SPOILERS)  (Read 248507 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Marvel's Movie/TV Universe *SPOILERS* 2
« Reply #1260 on: April 10, 2018, 07:53:08 PM »
I SO want to do a marathon of all the films before Infinity War.  And I'm SO not going to have the time for anything close to that.  :lol 

Can't believe I'm so excited for this film.  But then again, this is something we have been building toward for ten years, so I guess it's understandable.

jingle.kids and I just have Dr. Strange and Thor to watch, then we've run through all of them (though... we've seen Thor2 enough times that we skipped over it - I think that's my least enjoyed MCU flick).

In the words of Chuck Wollery.... 2 and 2 (weeks and days though).  So jacked for this.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1261 on: April 10, 2018, 08:30:46 PM »
I SO want to do a marathon of all the films before Infinity War.  And I'm SO not going to have the time for anything close to that.  :lol 

Can't believe I'm so excited for this film.  But then again, this is something we have been building toward for ten years, so I guess it's understandable.

jingle.kids and I just have Dr. Strange and Thor to watch, then we've run through all of them (though... we've seen Thor2 enough times that we skipped over it - I think that's my least enjoyed MCU flick).

In the words of Chuck Wollery.... 2 and 2 (weeks and days though).  So jacked for this.

I finished a full run before Black Panther, including AoS. The only part of the MCU proper that I'm missing is Agent Carter.

And yes, I'm fucking psyched, I could open a car trunk with the nerd boner I'll be sporting for the next two weeks.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1262 on: April 10, 2018, 11:32:46 PM »
Watched both seasons of Agent Carter back in the day. First one was good and fun, the second was lacking though. Hayley Atwell did a great job.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1263 on: April 11, 2018, 07:28:49 AM »
And yes, I'm fucking psyched, I could open a car trunk with the nerd boner I'll be sporting for the next two weeks.

So, you're saying...it's very small and has several notches in it?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1264 on: April 11, 2018, 08:22:40 AM »

So, you're saying...it's very small and has several notches in it?

Yeah, but more importantly it'll be stiff enough to work the tumbler in the lock...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1265 on: April 11, 2018, 08:24:09 AM »
Well, sure.  But some locks prefer larger...um...keys.  Or so I've heard.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1266 on: April 11, 2018, 08:25:39 AM »
I gave the whole rewatch thing some thought.

Then I realized that Infinity War is not the culmination of everything, Avengers 4 is.

So my plan is to do a huge rewatch before Avengers 4.

And since I plan on doing a (mostly) chronological re-watch, it works out well. I can start with Captain America, then go see Captain Marvel in theaters, then move on to Iron Man etc.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1267 on: April 11, 2018, 08:51:59 AM »
Then I realized that Infinity War is not the culmination of everything, Avengers 4 is.

Well, sort of.  But my understanding is that, although they removed the "Infinity War" title from 4 and have said that 3 and 4 aren't just one long movie split into two films, they are still really two essential parts of one story.  So I think the proper way to view it is along the lines of 3 being more or less the "beginning of the culmination" and 4 being the "ending of the culmination," for lack of a better term.

But still, nothing wrong with your plan.  Well, except one minor (truly) detail:

And since I plan on doing a (mostly) chronological re-watch, it works out well. I can start with Captain America, then go see Captain Marvel in theaters, then move on to Iron Man etc.

Well, no, not Captain Marvel.  That comes out after Avengers 4.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1268 on: April 11, 2018, 09:11:02 AM »
I'm definitely gonna be the big marathon before 2019's big Avengers flick, whatever it's called. Plus, I'll be able to add Ant-Man and the Wasp and Infinity War to the list
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Adami

« Reply #1269 on: April 11, 2018, 10:11:49 AM »

Well, sort of.  But my understanding is that, although they removed the "Infinity War" title from 4 and have said that 3 and 4 aren't just one long movie split into two films, they are still really two essential parts of one story.  So I think the proper way to view it is along the lines of 3 being more or less the "beginning of the culmination" and 4 being the "ending of the culmination," for lack of a better term.

But still, nothing wrong with your plan.  Well, except one minor (truly) detail:

Well, no, not Captain Marvel.  That comes out after Avengers 4.

Captain Marvel comes out March 6 2019. Avengers 4 comes out May 3rd 2019.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1270 on: April 11, 2018, 10:16:09 AM »
Oops, my mistake.  You are correct.

Offline Adami

« Reply #1271 on: April 11, 2018, 10:21:08 AM »
Oops, my mistake.  You are correct.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1272 on: April 21, 2018, 04:42:06 PM »
Photobucket sucks.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #1273 on: April 22, 2018, 01:36:05 PM »
I am not a hardcore Marvel fan, but as Infinity War approaches, I find myself becoming very excited. This weekend, I re-watched three of the films in order to prepare myself for next week. I must say that Marvel have created something really special with this universe. It's the Tim Duncan of film franchises: Insane consistency and longevity that you might take for granted in the moment but is damn impressive in hindsight. I can't wait to see what's next!
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1274 on: April 22, 2018, 02:59:05 PM »

All hail Titanos.

I too am super psyched for this film. That's all I've been thinking about all weekend. Infinity this, Infinity that, just let me make it to the dimming of the lights without spoilers and I'm good. I'll be in line with my friends but I'm going to have earbuds in. I refuse to give people the chance to spoil this for me.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1275 on: April 24, 2018, 12:16:54 AM »
Okay, the new Venom trailer officially has me stoked after seeing the transformation.

Not watching any other trailers though, that was perfect and I have no doubt that it being this early in the year, they'll probably spoil a good quarter of the rest of the film by the time it is released.

Also this is the best Infinity War trailer. This is an indisputable fact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4Mn4WASPvc
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 05:20:36 PM by TioJorge »

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #1276 on: April 25, 2018, 05:39:18 AM »
Just saw IW.
I won't say a word..only...holy fuck!!

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1277 on: April 25, 2018, 06:59:30 AM »
Okay, the new Venom trailer officially has me stoked after seeing the transformation.

Not watching any other trailers though, that was perfect and I have no doubt that it being this early in the year, they'll probably spoil a good quarter of the rest of the film by the time it is released.

I must say, that's the first Marvel trailer I've ever watched that made me think, :umno:

[edit] BTW, I was talking about the Venom trailer. [/edit]
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 08:20:42 AM by Podaar »
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1278 on: April 25, 2018, 07:27:24 AM »
34 hours to go.  jingle.kids and I have IMAX 3D at 7:30 tomorrow.

:giggity:
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1279 on: April 25, 2018, 07:32:45 AM »

CAN'T BELIEVE THEY JUST PUT SPOILERS OUT THERE LIKE THAT!   >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

On another note, a question occurred to me yesterday.  In the first two Iron Man films, we have Tony based in his place in Malibu.  But then he builds Stark Tower -> Avengers Tower in New York.  I don't recall there ever being an explanation of why.  Anyone know?

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #1280 on: April 25, 2018, 08:32:40 AM »
On another note, a question occurred to me yesterday.  In the first two Iron Man films, we have Tony based in his place in Malibu.  But then he builds Stark Tower -> Avengers Tower in New York.  I don't recall there ever being an explanation of why.  Anyone know?
Do you mean why he built and moved to Stark Tower? While he was staying there in The Avengers I think it was a building that was more for Stark Industries rather than intended as a replacement for his personal home - he still lived at the house in Malibu in Iron Man 3 before it was destroyed. So it probably makes sense to think of it as a better replacement for Stark Industries HQ / Research labs after they got trashed at the end of Iron Man 1, and as a way to highlight the arc reactor energy in a very visible way (since the tower was powered by it).

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1281 on: April 25, 2018, 08:49:49 AM »
Yeah, but why NY and not LA? 

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1282 on: April 25, 2018, 09:05:52 AM »
Yeah, but why NY and not LA?

East Coast > West Coast

Duh.

Offline Adami

« Reply #1283 on: April 25, 2018, 09:06:56 AM »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1285 on: April 25, 2018, 10:05:51 AM »
No, but the point is that Tony was West Coast based and could probably see downtown L.A. from his house, so it just seemed odd that ALL of his operations suddenly shifted locations like that without any sort of explanation. 

Ultimately, it's not a big deal.  But just wanted to see if there was any info dropped in the films (or something in the comics for those who read) that would have given any explanation.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1286 on: April 25, 2018, 10:13:57 AM »
Wikipedia pretty much says that Stark Tower was always in New York.   And the idea of the film was that Loki needed a massive power source to sustain the open portal to space.  That was probably the reason.

Read the plot for Infinity War.   :omg:  I won't be seeing it in the theater, but will rent it on digital once it's available, so the spoilers don't matter to me.  The trailers have revealed very little of the story, and it's incredible that they've kept it so secret until the premieres.

Edit - Wikipedia was full of spoilers for a while this morning and someone changed the page back.   :lol

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #1287 on: April 25, 2018, 11:39:16 AM »
I figured the answer would just be "They wanted the Avengers to be set in New York" (with the in-universe answer being "For whatever reason businesses sometimes move from city to city"), but from a Wiki it does say something about Stark Industries wanting to continue their relationship wth New York after dealing with the clean up battle at Stark Expo (Iron Man 2). Maybe that comes from a tie-in comic. So I guess the best answer is it was to make up to New York for the destruction caused at the Stark Expo. I imagine the city was thrilled to have a safe and sensible investment from Stark Industries that would have no major incidents or damages associated with it.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1288 on: April 25, 2018, 11:54:29 AM »
I imagine the city was thrilled to have a safe and sensible investment from Stark Industries that would have no major incidents or damages associated with it.

Yeah, probably.  I hope that worked out well for them.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1289 on: April 25, 2018, 12:13:39 PM »
"The Avengers" have always been a New York thing in the comics - along with Dr. Strange, Spidey, and FF - probably many other comic book franchises.  I think the "move" from LA to NY was just for plot-line conveniences, and any explanation was conveniently swept under the rug.

It also sets up a possibility for the West Coast Avengers name/faction to come into the MCU.

Offline Adami

« Reply #1290 on: April 25, 2018, 12:21:13 PM »
I was just thinking, based on RuRoRul's post.

How is Tony Stark still in business? Who the hell wants to do major business with a dude they know will likely attract a god damn alien attack?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1291 on: April 25, 2018, 12:23:13 PM »
I'm not sure finding business partners is the issue.  Now insurance, on the other hand...

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1292 on: April 25, 2018, 02:16:35 PM »

How is Tony Stark still in business? Who the hell wants to do major business with a dude they know will likely attract a god damn alien attack?

When you’ve got things people want that no one else can deliver...
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Adami

« Reply #1293 on: April 25, 2018, 02:19:23 PM »

When you’ve got things people want that no one else can deliver...

You go Justin Hammer. The Mucci to Starks Gucci.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1294 on: April 25, 2018, 03:04:56 PM »
*waits for tiny script to start*