Author Topic: Star Trek: Thread Space 9  (Read 277512 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Star Trek: Thread Space 9
« Reply #4865 on: April 15, 2024, 10:53:23 PM »
Episode 3 of this seasons Discovery was back to its brutally bad shenanigans. If I didn’t have this horrible character flaw of needing to finish these shows out to the end I’d just stop watching.

I found the will power to stop watching Picard…..I need to dig deep on this one.  It something just pulls me I ….like I have to see just how bad it can get.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4866 on: April 16, 2024, 12:08:32 AM »
Per Variety, Season 5 of Lower Decks will be the last, and Strange New Worlds has been renewed for Season 4 (even though I think Season 3 is still filming).

Good to know SNW is continuing. A little sad that LD isn't going further but better to finish when it's still good.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4867 on: April 22, 2024, 02:30:11 AM »
Episode 4 amazingly was a good episode of Discovery - probably the best episode since season 2 (I'm well aware that's low hanging fruit).

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4868 on: April 23, 2024, 08:12:42 AM »
Episode 4 amazingly was a good episode of Discovery - probably the best episode since season 2 (I'm well aware that's low hanging fruit).

I was torn on it. I think the concept was great, even if the "fix" was silly. But since I'm not at all invested in these characters (especially the new commander, even though I like the actor) and REALLY dislike the overall plot of the season (thus far), then I just didn't find myself caring.

But give me the same story with characters I care about and a story I'm invested in, and you got some good stuff.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4869 on: April 23, 2024, 08:43:21 AM »
I was torn on it. I think the concept was great, even if the "fix" was silly. But since I'm not at all invested in these characters (especially the new commander, even though I like the actor) and REALLY dislike the overall plot of the season (thus far), then I just didn't find myself caring.

But give me the same story with characters I care about and a story I'm invested in, and you got some good stuff.

Yeah, I get that completely.  Note I said good episode of Discovery, not good episode of Star Trek.  ;D

Online Adami

« Reply #4870 on: April 23, 2024, 08:48:04 AM »
Yeah, I get that completely.  Note I said good episode of Discovery, not good episode of Star Trek.  ;D

I was just annoyed since it IS a cool idea. But there's one character I actively like and they've reduced him to a "will they/won't they" with a Vulcan lady and I don't give a crap about anyone else at all. And I cannot explain how much I disdain the overall story they're doing this season, thus far.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4871 on: April 23, 2024, 10:54:05 AM »
Wow, I'm still trying to work up the gumption to watch Season 5, and you guys aren't making it any easier.  The completist in me is having fits; I've suffered through four seasons already (some of which was not horrible), what's one more?  But the more I hear about it, the more I'm sure I'll just be disappointed and annoyed at myself for subjecting myself to it.  Maybe I'll just wait until the end.  If I hear that the season/series finishes strong, then it'll be worth slogging through Season 5.

Online Adami

« Reply #4872 on: April 23, 2024, 10:58:20 AM »
Wow, I'm still trying to work up the gumption to watch Season 5, and you guys aren't making it any easier.  The completist in me is having fits; I've suffered through four seasons already (some of which was not horrible), what's one more?  But the more I hear about it, the more I'm sure I'll just be disappointed and annoyed at myself for subjecting myself to it.  Maybe I'll just wait until the end.  If I hear that the season/series finishes strong, then it'll be worth slogging through Season 5.

My problems with the story (again, thus far since I don't know where they'll take it) is only like 50% about how poorly written it is, the other 50% is on principle, which you might not have an issue with the way I did.

So, if you don't have an issue with what they're doing on principle, and you've stomached the last two seasons, this one won't be a bother.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4873 on: April 23, 2024, 12:26:04 PM »

My problems with the story (again, thus far since I don't know where they'll take it) is only like 50% about how poorly written it is, the other 50% is on principle, which you might not have an issue with the way I did.

So, if you don't have an issue with what they're doing on principle, and you've stomached the last two seasons, this one won't be a bother.

I'm a 'completest' as well Orbert and that is the sole reason I'm watching. That, and I really just WANT it to be good. This series had some good moments...particularly early on but they really fell offtrack when they went 'all in' on the massive social / political agenda points they were dead set on making and forgot they actually had to write a TV show and develop characters that people actually liked and cared for.

So, like Adami said....when they actually have a good episode or idea it's just a little too late, there's nothing there for the fan to be excited about because....well....who cares? 

I'll finish it out just to satisfy that OCD sect of my personality but it's certainly not because the storyline or characters are compelling me to

Online Adami

« Reply #4874 on: April 23, 2024, 12:34:59 PM »
I'm a 'completest' as well Orbert and that is the sole reason I'm watching. That, and I really just WANT it to be good. This series had some good moments...particularly early on but they really fell offtrack when they went 'all in' on the massive social / political agenda points they were dead set on making and forgot they actually had to write a TV show and develop characters that people actually liked and cared for.

So, like Adami said....when they actually have a good episode or idea it's just a little too late, there's nothing there for the fan to be excited about because....well....who cares? 

I'll finish it out just to satisfy that OCD sect of my personality but it's certainly not because the storyline or characters are compelling me to

I'm usually not on your side with how you see the social political agenda stuff, but this show definitely did that. Not so much in a very preachy way (since all of ST has been political) but in just the dumbest ways possible. 1000 years AFTER the original ST utopia and a trans person is too scared to come out because that's how it is in 2020's? Ugh.

And don't even get me started on President of Earth Stacey Abrams. I was in a state of shock at the hubris of that choice.

But this show isn't awful BECAUSE of those things. Just like dirt isn't worth not eating because there are ants in it. It's just a poorly written, poorly executed show all around. And while I'm glad that Doug Jones is getting major attention, I'm sad with how little they seem to care about his character.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4875 on: April 23, 2024, 12:50:13 PM »
I'm usually not on your side with how you see the social political agenda stuff, but this show definitely did that. Not so much in a very preachy way (since all of ST has been political) but in just the dumbest ways possible. 1000 years AFTER the original ST utopia and a trans person is too scared to come out because that's how it is in 2020's? Ugh.

And don't even get me started on President of Earth Stacey Abrams. I was in a state of shock at the hubris of that choice.

But this show isn't awful BECAUSE of those things. Just like dirt isn't worth not eating because there are ants in it. It's just a poorly written, poorly executed show all around. And while I'm glad that Doug Jones is getting major attention, I'm sad with how little they seem to care about his character.

I expect a certain level of all the social and political commentary to be on these shows and I don't mind it when it is done well....especially ST. It was just so badly done.....way too over the top and it detracted from telling any actual story. 

and the President of the World Stacy Abrams thing was so cringeworthy.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4876 on: April 23, 2024, 01:56:39 PM »
I remember some hoopla about the President of Earth or whatever her title is.  I guess it's a good thing that I have no idea who she is.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4877 on: April 24, 2024, 05:40:20 AM »

The characters are the biggest issue for me.  It's Star Trek it should be a bunch of familiar characters who we mostly grow to love doing space stuff for 45 minutes.  Sometimes it's exciting, sometimes funny, sometimes clever, sometimes dumb and sometimes it's complete bollocks........but we mostly still enjoy hanging with these characters regardless of the quality - it's like comfort food.  Discovery doesn't get this - you don't kill characters, swap out the cast all the time in Star Trek.  You also shouldn't have to reinvent your main character every season because the previous iteration was poorly received (again).

Online Adami

« Reply #4878 on: April 26, 2024, 10:00:14 AM »
Halfway through episode 5 and is one is........painful to watch. I have no idea if the second half will be better, but this is bad. Really bad.

I'm genuinely struggling to not turn it off. This is the ONLY time I'm thankful my Paramount subscription has ads.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4879 on: April 26, 2024, 02:08:32 PM »
Halfway through episode 5 and is one is........painful to watch. I have no idea if the second half will be better, but this is bad. Really bad.

I'm genuinely struggling to not turn it off. This is the ONLY time I'm thankful my Paramount subscription has ads.

Yeah....Ep 5 was just bad.

I mean, the folks at Paramount and even the actors HAVE to know how bad this show is? Don't they? They can't be this oblivious. I am dead serious when I say that I 100% believe that I....with zero experience writing a TV show....could sit down with a couple of you guys and write a better show than what they've been giving us. This has been some horrific writing and character development...and that's being courteous by using the word 'development' when referring to these characters.

I'm along for the ride in the hopes that there will be SOMETHING redeeming about this final season and the show in general, but I already know the answer to that.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #4880 on: April 27, 2024, 12:54:10 AM »
I guess I'm lucky that I don't have any way to watch Disco S5 at the moment. :biggrin:

This show has had its few moments. Especially in season 2. This new far future era was interesting initially, but they didn't do anything interesting with it. Saru is a great character. But other than that, I'm glad this thing is coming to an end.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4881 on: April 27, 2024, 08:57:01 AM »
I guess I'm lucky that I don't have any way to watch Disco S5 at the moment. :biggrin:

This show has had its few moments. Especially in season 2. This new far future era was interesting initially, but they didn't do anything interesting with it. Saru is a great character. But other than that, I'm glad this thing is coming to an end.

S2 was good…..it’s high point. And yep, they dropped the ball on the future setting. That was a good chance for a fresh start and they botched it.