Author Topic: Star Trek: Thread Space 9  (Read 270683 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Star Trek: Thread Space 9
« Reply #4305 on: March 16, 2023, 07:05:05 PM »
So new episode of Picard......ain't bad.

I still hate what Star Trek has become. Everything is SO damn dark, no one can be trusted, the federation is evil, everything's a conspiracy, the entire plot is a stack of mystery boxes, endless nastalgia, etc.

That said, given that, this episode wasn't too bad. I actually was surprised by the cameo and think it was (eventually) handled really well.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline PetFish

« Reply #4306 on: March 16, 2023, 10:38:28 PM »
Picard Season 3 is amazing.

In the latest episode the tension on the holodeck between... and the decision by... and the gift from........... If you know,  you know.  I had a good little cry.  Wow.

Beverly has been outstanding and I love Captain Shaw.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4307 on: March 17, 2023, 02:19:10 AM »
That's 3 great episodes in a Ro.

Kind off reverse season 2, which started well but fell off a cliff.  This season started iffy but has really found it's groove (for now  ;D)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4308 on: March 18, 2023, 04:38:07 AM »
Agreed.  At first I thought the cameo was just another unnecessary call-back to TNG / fan service moment, but then it was clear there was an actual purpose to it.  Though, I don't recall her/Picard having as meaningful a relationship as this episode demonstrates.  Still, great episode - even if I also agree with Adami's beefs.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4309 on: March 18, 2023, 09:15:33 AM »
I'm kind of bummed this was the show we got from season 1. I've been looking to new episodes every week which is not something I've been able to say for a long time.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #4310 on: March 18, 2023, 01:31:52 PM »
Another good episode IMO!

This isn't the best Trek ever by any stretch, but still a huge improvement over the previous 2 seasons. I was thinking that, so far this feels like a TNG movie told over 10 episodes. It's not hard to see that, with some changes, this story could have worked as the Fifth TNG movie.

Of course, we don't yet know how this ends. The ending could suck ass, but let's hope not. :lol But that is the vibe I'm getting so far.

Oh, and "Spoiler" cameo was handled well.

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #4311 on: March 19, 2023, 05:05:02 PM »
Did Ro get a Bajoran nose job?

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4312 on: March 20, 2023, 02:46:55 AM »
Captain Shaw spinoff please.  Although I suspect he'll be killed off soon.

With this season and Strange New Worlds they do seem to have found a winning formula, what are the chance Disco goes out on a high?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 04:25:49 AM by soupytwist »

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #4313 on: March 20, 2023, 06:25:55 AM »
This isn't the best Trek ever by any stretch, but still a huge improvement over the previous 2 seasons. I was thinking that, so far this feels like a TNG movie told over 10 episodes. It's not hard to see that, with some changes, this story could have worked as the Fifth TNG movie.

Totally agree with this. I struggled through S1 when it first came, and had no desire to sit through S2. Then I heard the buzz around S3 and decided to go back and get through 2 in the last few weeks. Both seasons felt off, like they were written by somebody who had never watched TNG, but now it seems like things are clicking into place a lot better.

Sir Pat Stew is definitely no spring chicken any longer, but it seems to me that in S3 he's elevated and supported by the strong characters around him. Previously, it almost felt like a different character..

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4314 on: March 20, 2023, 07:57:23 AM »
Not the best Trek, but the last 3 episode run has been the best Trek has been since DS9 without a doubt - of course it'll probably undo all it's good work from now  ;D

Online Adami

« Reply #4315 on: March 20, 2023, 08:00:55 AM »
Not the best Trek, but the last 3 episode run has been the best Trek has been since DS9 without a doubt - of course it'll probably undo all it's good work from now  ;D

Oh son, no. There have been good and even some great moments, but even this season of Picard is not great, thus far. As a whole. A great Ro arc doesn't make up for how bad so much else is.

Strange New Worlds is better than this for sure, as was the majority of Enterprise.

This is okay sci-fi with great moments, but it's hardly even Trek.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4316 on: March 20, 2023, 08:26:06 AM »

Oh son, no. There have been good and even some great moments, but even this season of Picard is not great, thus far. As a whole. A great Ro arc doesn't make up for how bad so much else is.

Strange New Worlds is better than this for sure, as was the majority of Enterprise.

This is okay sci-fi with great moments, but it's hardly even Trek.

This is how I like my modern Trek, continuing the style and themes of DS9.  I don't think SNW is better, that's been a decent show so far but it's a tad too light weight (and The Orville was kind off already filling that void).  But it has potential to grow, most of the crew are good (aside from the awful Doctor).

And Enterprise...please ;D

It's been a long road
Gettin' from there to here
It's been a long time
But my time is finally near

I will see my dream come alive at last
I will touch the sky
An' they're not gonna hold me down no more
No they're not gonna change my mind
No they're not gonna hold me down

‘Cause I've got faith of the heart
I'm going where my heart will take me
I've got faith to believe
I can do anything
I've got strength of the soul
An' no one's gonna bend or break me
I can reach any star
I've got faith
I've got faith
Faith of the heart

:facepalm:

« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 08:55:40 AM by soupytwist »

Online Adami

« Reply #4317 on: March 20, 2023, 09:03:02 AM »
Yes, the song is not great. The show wasn't bad, if boring. And sometimes bad.

But again, you and I define Trek differently. If you like the dark, gritty, mysteries on top of mysteries, everyone is angry and evil, then this is the stuff for you.

And DS9 wasn't like this. They just ventured into it on occasion, which is why it worked. It was a balancing act. AND DS9 was very well written (mostly). Modern Trek doesn't have the optimism, hope, inspiration to balance out the dark stuff and the writing is (mostly) just quite bad.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4318 on: March 20, 2023, 09:59:50 AM »
Yes, the song is not great. The show wasn't bad, if boring. And sometimes bad.

But again, you and I define Trek differently. If you like the dark, gritty, mysteries on top of mysteries, everyone is angry and evil, then this is the stuff for you.

And DS9 wasn't like this. They just ventured into it on occasion, which is why it worked. It was a balancing act. AND DS9 was very well written (mostly). Modern Trek doesn't have the optimism, hope, inspiration to balance out the dark stuff and the writing is (mostly) just quite bad.

So fans of BSG  ;D

Online Adami

« Reply #4319 on: March 20, 2023, 10:03:58 AM »
I love BSG. But I don’t want Star Trek to be BSG.

And again, BSG was very well written.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4320 on: March 20, 2023, 10:16:41 AM »

For the first two seasons + the New Caprica arc.

Online Adami

« Reply #4321 on: March 20, 2023, 10:20:44 AM »

For the first two seasons + the New Caprica arc.

Possibly. It’s honestly been years. I’d have to go back and rewatch to really stand behind any of my claims. I just remember being blow away by it all.

Though I felt similar about Attack of the Clones when I first saw that heaping pile of trash.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4322 on: March 20, 2023, 10:24:54 AM »
Though I felt similar about Attack of the Clones when I first saw that heaping pile of trash.

Ha!

If it's any consolation I used to think Battle Beyond the Stars was better than any Star Wars/Trek.

Spoilers - It Isn't.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4323 on: March 20, 2023, 12:05:18 PM »
I mean, if you say so.  But I don't care about either of those shows, as they are basically prequels that were both unnecessary.

I hope the next Trek show is set after Picard in the timeline, so we can have stories about what happens NEXT.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Adami

« Reply #4324 on: March 20, 2023, 12:17:01 PM »
I mean, if you say so.  But I don't care about either of those shows, as they are basically prequels that were both unnecessary.

I hope the next Trek show is set after Picard in the timeline, so we can have stories about what happens NEXT.

Oh totally. I didn’t need any prequels either. I’m just going purely on quality.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #4325 on: March 22, 2023, 03:48:38 PM »
Just watched the latest episode of Picard. Have to say, the best episode of the series so far. I like where it is going.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4326 on: March 23, 2023, 12:52:49 AM »
I can’t believe SNW and Enterprise were both mentioned in the same sentence. Enterprise isn’t fit to lick SNW’s boots.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4327 on: March 23, 2023, 02:29:14 AM »
I can’t believe SNW and Enterprise were both mentioned in the same sentence. Enterprise isn’t fit to lick SNW’s boots.

Enterprise had the better Doctor, but that's about it.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #4328 on: March 23, 2023, 02:59:28 AM »

Enterprise had the better Doctor, but that's about it.

Phlox was easily the best character imo. I haven't seen SNW in it's entirety, but Enterprise was not good to say the least.

First 2 seasons were a chore to get through. It got a bit better on seasons 3 and 4, but it never came close to TNG, DS9 or even VOY.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4329 on: March 23, 2023, 07:07:34 AM »
On my last Enterprise rewatch the show isn't as bad as I remembered. Season 3 and 4 were especially good.

Online Adami

« Reply #4330 on: March 23, 2023, 07:14:12 AM »
The stories in much of Enterprise may be boring and quite bland, but they make sense. Point A to B usually was logical. The characters had some purpose and rarely was I thinking "HUH? What the hell just happened?". And I can't say the same about a lot of modern Trek.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4331 on: March 23, 2023, 07:44:46 AM »
The stories in much of Enterprise may be boring and quite bland, but they make sense.

That's because most of the them were rehashes or slight variations on themes we'd seen before.  Enterprise is a example of a show just phoning it in, characters barely had any personally and the plots are as generic as they come.  When they found out the theme song was generally hated - their solution, speed it up slightly.... :facepalm:.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2023, 08:02:38 AM by soupytwist »

Online Adami

« Reply #4332 on: March 23, 2023, 09:24:15 AM »
The stories in much of Enterprise may be boring and quite bland, but they make sense.

That's because most of the them were rehashes or slight variations on themes we'd seen before.  Enterprise is a example of a show just phoning it in, characters barely had any personally and the plots are as generic as they come.  When they found out the theme song was generally hated - their solution, speed it up slightly.... :facepalm:.

Don't fully agree, and I'm done ripping on the song. But if given the choice between buttered noodles, and undercooked noodles with gravy, sprinkles, coconut shavings, and broken glass, I'm going with buttered noodles. Even though buttered noodles are not at all original, boring, phoned in etc.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4333 on: March 23, 2023, 09:45:49 AM »

Don't fully agree, and I'm done ripping on the song. But if given the choice between buttered noodles, and undercooked noodles with gravy, sprinkles, coconut shavings, and broken glass, I'm going with buttered noodles. Even though buttered noodles are not at all original, boring, phoned in etc.

The sad truth is that you and me are actually eating both, then coming back for more.  Thus is the life of a Trekky.  Now excuse me while I floss some shards of glass from my teeth.

Online Adami

« Reply #4334 on: March 23, 2023, 09:51:57 AM »
......yea :-[

pass the floss when you're done please.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4335 on: March 23, 2023, 04:19:38 PM »
I've watched the Picard S3 1-5 this week. I wasn't going to but you all got me interested, dammit.

What a mixed bag.

Standout for me - Captain Shaw. Great casting and performance there.

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #4336 on: March 23, 2023, 07:52:32 PM »
Amanda Plummer deserves a Razzie for her ridiculous first-year-of-drama-club overacting.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4337 on: March 23, 2023, 09:51:48 PM »
Focus on this fact and you’ll have a lot more fun.

It’s obscene how much better this is than Nemesis.  If this is to be the TNG crew’s final stand, I’m just so happy that they gave them something that is downright Shakespeare compared to that rancid turd.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4338 on: March 24, 2023, 03:37:42 AM »
Episode 6 was good, probably a little weaker than the last few, but still enjoyable.  A lot to unpack though, but no spoilers till more have watched it.
Prediction : Adami will have a fuckton of issues with this episode and get full mouth of shards of glass!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2023, 03:49:00 AM by soupytwist »

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4339 on: March 24, 2023, 07:22:17 AM »
Amanda Plummer deserves a Razzie for her ridiculous first-year-of-drama-club overacting.

Any moment now I expect Michael Jeter to enter the scene in full drag and carrying balloons.

https://youtu.be/rmfGLfWqlzA