Author Topic: Star Trek: Thread Space 9  (Read 270732 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Star Trek: Thread Space 9
« Reply #4200 on: March 01, 2023, 09:55:42 AM »
Agree about Frakes. Dude is just fun as hell to watch and still feels like Riker.

Mostly agree about the new captain. A real dick, but one you understood and could get behind. But then in episode 2 he is just content letting Riker and Picard die. I get the logic, but that is NOT what Starfleet is about at all, so he lost a lot of points with me based solely on that.

He was putting his crew before 2 people but we know the old axiom.  The needs of one.........
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4201 on: March 01, 2023, 09:57:17 AM »
Agree about Frakes. Dude is just fun as hell to watch and still feels like Riker.

Mostly agree about the new captain. A real dick, but one you understood and could get behind. But then in episode 2 he is just content letting Riker and Picard die. I get the logic, but that is NOT what Starfleet is about at all, so he lost a lot of points with me based solely on that.

He was putting his crew before 2 people but we know the old axiom.  The needs of one.........

But that's not what Starfleet does. And his response was like "well....they knew what they were doing, so screw them."

You get creative and find ways to help. That's what a Starfleet captain does.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4202 on: March 01, 2023, 10:03:33 AM »
I'm saying I agree with you.  Any of the old series, they've charge right in and try to sav their own.  I was just pointing out what Kirk would do. And Picard. and Janeway.  And Sisko....
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Adami

« Reply #4203 on: March 01, 2023, 10:06:29 AM »
I'm saying I agree with you.  Any of the old series, they've charge right in and try to sav their own.  I was just pointing out what Kirk would do. And Picard. and Janeway.  And Sisko....

Oh totally. Sorry, my rage must have taken over.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4204 on: March 01, 2023, 10:26:22 AM »

But that's not what Starfleet does. And his response was like "well....they knew what they were doing, so screw them."

You get creative and find ways to help. That's what a Starfleet captain does.
To be fair, we don't know what all Starfleet captains do.  We've only seen a relative handful, and by default (since they are the ones that star in shows) they have been depicted as being the best of the best, the paragons in their fields.  I have no expectation that all captains conduct their commands the same way.  Not all military officers conduct their commands the same way, and for that matter, not all supervisors/managers conduct their business the same way.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4205 on: March 01, 2023, 10:30:37 AM »

It won't feel like ole Riker unless he pulls out a trombone, or steps over the back of a chair - assuming Frakes can without breaking a hip.

Also, I meant to post this earlier, but the whole "raise shields" when the ship is at Red Alert is so annoying.  I had a Technical Manual for Enterprise D (probably still have it around somewhere), and in one chapter, it details what happens to the ship functions at yellow and red alert.  Shields automatically go to full at Red Alert.

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4206 on: March 01, 2023, 10:35:44 AM »

It won't feel like ole Riker unless he pulls out a trombone, or steps over the back of a chair - assuming Frakes can without breaking a hip.

Also, I meant to post this earlier, but the whole "raise shields" when the ship is at Red Alert is so annoying.  I had a Technical Manual for Enterprise D (probably still have it around somewhere), and in one chapter, it details what happens to the ship functions at yellow and red alert.  Shields automatically go to full at Red Alert.

I have that, on my bookshelf as we speak, alongside Star Trek Chronology: The History of the Future from the same time period.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Adami

« Reply #4207 on: March 01, 2023, 10:37:13 AM »
At this point I wouldn't be shocked if Riker took out his trombone and beat someone to death with it.

In fact it's a homerun and is it mixes two of the three things modern Trek is built on. References and violence.

The other being overly complicated and ridiculous plots, but that can be there too.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4208 on: March 01, 2023, 11:01:51 AM »

I had the 1975 original. Plus the blueprints.  :biggrin:

They actually established the red alert thing in Enterprise, when it was the "Reid alert." The whole system was built around a typical Star Trek fit of shipwide lunacy.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4209 on: March 01, 2023, 11:27:50 AM »
What canon even exists in the time period between Nemesis and Picard?

Online Adami

« Reply #4210 on: March 01, 2023, 11:45:43 AM »

There's a comic book that takes place leading into ST 2009 that bridges it with the TNG people. I don't remember the details but I know B4 became Data who is now a captain. I know the rest show up too and I think that was said to be canon.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4211 on: March 01, 2023, 11:53:18 AM »
At this point I wouldn't be shocked if Riker took out his trombone and beat someone to death with it.

I don't condone violence against women, but just saying if he did this to Raffi....

Online Adami

« Reply #4212 on: March 01, 2023, 11:54:42 AM »

I don't condone violence against women, but just saying if he did this to Raffi....

Sure, let's just go with this. Bring back Wesley and have someone kill him. Have Data show back up and kill himself. Then at the end have Kurtzman as himself walk on the set and murder all TNG characters, look at the camera and wave....end show. It'll at least be honest.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4213 on: March 01, 2023, 12:05:25 PM »
Not sure Wesley can be killed at this point, since he is the Traveller.

Online Adami

« Reply #4214 on: March 01, 2023, 12:07:04 PM »
Not sure Wesley can be killed at this point, since he is the Traveller.

GOD DAMMIT JUST MAKE IT SO!

Did you see when he showed up in season 2? I'm sighing just thinking about it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4215 on: March 01, 2023, 12:09:32 PM »

I hope Stadler isn't in this thread!!

Wait... Wesley showed up in S2?  Dear lord I'm glad I didn't watch that.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Adami

« Reply #4216 on: March 01, 2023, 12:10:39 PM »
I'd say sorry for the spoilers, but honestly? The only spoiler alert is that everything is awful.

But yes, he shows up. You can just youtube the scene. Seeing it completely out of context makes absolutely NO difference. Seeing it in the show itself didn't help it make any more sense that it does in a standalone clip.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4217 on: March 01, 2023, 12:26:54 PM »

There's a comic book that takes place leading into ST 2009 that bridges it with the TNG people. I don't remember the details but I know B4 became Data who is now a captain. I know the rest show up too and I think that was said to be canon.

You're right. I've read that, and almost mentioned it in my post, but (A) I don't recall Dr. Crusher being in it, and (2) comic tie-ins are usually of dubious canonicity. 

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4218 on: March 01, 2023, 01:03:08 PM »
I'd say sorry for the spoilers, but honestly? The only spoiler alert is that everything is awful.

But yes, he shows up. You can just youtube the scene. Seeing it completely out of context makes absolutely NO difference. Seeing it in the show itself didn't help it make any more sense that it does in a standalone clip.

You can't call it a spoiler - that implies I was ever going to watch S2. I won't be.  I just didn't know about it.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4219 on: March 01, 2023, 01:10:40 PM »

Didn't it turn out that he and the Traveler are Controllers, a la Gary Seven? I mean, at this point why the hell not? If you're going to shoehorn in pointless callbacks, at least choose interesting ones.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

« Reply #4220 on: March 01, 2023, 01:14:11 PM »

Didn't it turn out that he and the Traveler are Controllers, a la Gary Seven? I mean, at this point why the hell not? If you're going to shoehorn in pointless callbacks, at least choose interesting ones.

Yea, they work above people like Gary 7. And while I wouldn't call that an interesting callback, I get you. But mostly it's cause he shows up randomly and tells whatever character Brent Spiner playing's daughter and is like "I'm a watcher, we control space and time or something, come be one with us" for no reason what so ever.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4221 on: March 01, 2023, 01:36:37 PM »

Yea, they work above people like Gary 7. And while I wouldn't call that an interesting callback, I get you. But mostly it's cause he shows up randomly and tells whatever character Brent Spiner playing's daughter and is like "I'm a watcher, we control space and time or something, come be one with us" for no reason what so ever.
He's Gary Seven's Boss? Criminy.
E.F. Benson

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4222 on: March 01, 2023, 02:19:48 PM »
Episode 2 was bleh. 

Great to see Worf again, shame he's in Raffi's side of the story.  Jack seems an OK character I guess.  I did like the unspoken scene between Bev and Picard when he realises Jack is his son.  Aside from that not much I took from it, are we really going Wrath of Khan next episode?!

Online Adami

« Reply #4223 on: March 01, 2023, 02:24:38 PM »
Episode 2 was bleh. 

Great to see Worf again, shame he's in Raffi's side of the story.  Jack seems an OK character I guess.  I did like the unspoken scene between Bev and Picard when he realises Jack is his son.  Aside from that not much I took from it, are we really going Wrath of Khan next episode?!

It seems that Worf is just Elnor or Elron or L. Ron or whatever. Comes in, cuts everyone's heads off and then preaches pacifism. Hopefully it goes somewhere else.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #4224 on: March 01, 2023, 02:25:23 PM »
If only those transporters could tell you, after rearranging your atoms together, that the DNA of this unknown person is suspiciously similar to someone else in the same transport beam... It was just such a shallow, fake drama.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4225 on: March 01, 2023, 07:27:42 PM »
Worf killed an unarmed Ferengi half his size.  :lol

At least I think he did. That's what it sounded like, but I couldn't see shit. Seems like they weren't content with just making the federation atmospherically and temperamentally dark. They had to make it literally dark now, too.
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

« Reply #4226 on: March 01, 2023, 07:29:41 PM »

At least I think he did. That's what it sounded like, but I couldn't see shit. Seems like they weren't content with just making the federation atmospherically and temperamentally dark. They had to make it literally dark now, too.

Best I remember he just started decapitating everyone because that’s what a damn warrior does. Cuts off everyone’s head.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4227 on: March 01, 2023, 08:07:22 PM »

Best I remember he just started decapitating everyone because that’s what a damn warrior does. Cuts off everyone’s head.
I think you might be missing the joke, chaver.

https://youtu.be/NEBAfVB_oEY?t=99
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

« Reply #4228 on: March 01, 2023, 08:30:13 PM »
Subtle. Good call though.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4229 on: March 02, 2023, 04:42:55 AM »
I forgot to mention when the already cliche villainess lit up a fag I honestly thought are they even trying now.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4230 on: March 02, 2023, 07:51:35 AM »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online Adami

« Reply #4231 on: March 02, 2023, 10:56:26 AM »
Just watched episode 3. Terrible.

I feel like people will like this one a lot more, but it was so much of what I don't like about modern Trek. Everything is dark, gritty, no one is good, conspiracies everywhere, everyone hates everyone, there's no sense of structure or order, it's just chaos all the time.

And the fact that it's better than season 2 doesn't make it remotely good.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4232 on: March 02, 2023, 01:28:52 PM »
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4233 on: March 02, 2023, 03:03:39 PM »

I feel like people will like this one a lot more, but it was so much of what I don't like about modern Trek. Everything is dark, gritty, no one is good, conspiracies everywhere, everyone hates everyone, there's no sense of structure or order, it's just chaos all the time.

Just go with the flow... It's the Star Trek Multiverse of Madness.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #4234 on: March 03, 2023, 03:33:38 AM »

I liked episode 3. There I said it.

I feel like the story is starting to pick up, and is potentially heading towards something interesting. Even Raffi's and Worf's subplot is turning into something relevant for the story. Yes, everything is dark and gritty but I expected that going in. And I did like the true villain reveal, without going into spoilers yet.

I didn't like the paper thin explanation given by Beverly, regarding Jack's birth. I also didn't like the withdrawal driven angst of Raffi during the interrogation scene. At times I just wanted Worf to properly shut her up. And at the end of the episode, I feel like the tension build between Picard and Riker felt forced.

Anyway, S3 is not as terrible as I feared it to be so far. And like I said, this could potentially be heading towards something interesting. So I'm sticking with it for now!