Author Topic: Star Trek: Thread Space 9  (Read 270851 times)

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Star Trek: Thread Space 9
« Reply #4165 on: February 17, 2023, 12:07:33 PM »
Interesting how many references and callbacks, even to TOS were in this first episode:

https://youtu.be/BBqgSS7VhM8

This annoys me without even knowing the details. Can't ST just be a good story? I am just so sick of 500 easter eggs and references. I don't watch ST for member berries, but they know it's what sells. Crappy episode? Who cares, I saw so many things I remembered. It's just so cynical and insulting.

I get you, but I found it interesting in that there was a lot of subtle stuff in there that I never would have picked up on.  Like font choice, for example.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #4166 on: February 17, 2023, 01:30:14 PM »
I watched the first episode, and I didn't hate it!

The setup and the mystery surrounding Beverly and the ones who chase her, is not entirely disinteresting. Jonathan Frakes doesn't miss a beat as Riker. Gates McFadden at times looks like she's melting, but still brings out the Crusher we all know and love.

I hope I make it pass 3 episodes this time, but so far so good.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4167 on: February 17, 2023, 01:42:18 PM »
I watched S3 E1 of Picard.  I thought it was kinda cool.  They knew they had to set stuff up and suck us in right away if we were gonna stick with it, and they at least have me intrigued.  It could all fall apart as we go on, but so far, so good.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4168 on: February 18, 2023, 05:45:11 PM »
I too didn’t hate it.

The first 5-10 minutes I did. Those were some awful bits filled with nothing but meaningless and cynical nostalgia. Then it got a lot better. A lot of it even felt like star trek at times. The Rafi stuff I can do without and the ending was dumb but much better than anything in seasons 1 or 2. Possibly minus the first Riker/Troi episode.

We will see how it goes. But I will keep an open mind.

Despite my complaints future and past, this episode felt like the characters of Picard, Riker, and 7 were true to who they are. Which I can’t really say much about the first two.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #4169 on: February 19, 2023, 05:07:00 PM »
The only thing I really didn't like was that raffia chick. Anything and everything she did or said made little sense.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #4170 on: February 20, 2023, 03:09:27 PM »
The only thing I really didn't like was that raffia chick. Anything and everything she did or said made little sense.

Bad casting, that actress is BROOTAL.....horribly written character also.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #4171 on: February 20, 2023, 03:12:07 PM »
Yeah, I'm curious to see where she fits in with the actual story. I'll be pissed if it's a lame, half assed addiction/recovery arc that's grudge-fucked into the overall storyline.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4172 on: February 21, 2023, 03:17:19 PM »

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4173 on: February 21, 2023, 09:08:08 PM »
I’m less than 5 minutes into episode one, and it’s SO STAR WARS I CANNOT BELIEVE IT!!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Adami

« Reply #4174 on: February 21, 2023, 09:12:14 PM »
I’m less than 5 minutes into episode one, and it’s SO STAR WARS I CANNOT BELIEVE IT!!

Of season 3? It gets better. Then it gets worse and then back and forth but the first 5-10 min are awful.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4175 on: February 21, 2023, 09:43:53 PM »

Of season 3? It gets better. Then it gets worse and then back and forth but the first 5-10 min are awful.

I didn’t think it as *bad* per se, it just really felt like Star Wars and not Star Trek.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4176 on: February 21, 2023, 11:16:51 PM »
There’s only one episode? I thought there were 2 or 3 up!

Anyway, it was pretty good. Enough that I want to see episode 2.

Online Adami

« Reply #4177 on: February 24, 2023, 05:26:35 PM »
Just watched episode 2.

Awful.

Not nearly the mind numbing atrocity that was any part of season 2, but still awful. It's a real shame. The actors are good (minus whatever the hell Rafi's storyline is) and the new kid is oozing charisma. Sadly the writing is just terrible.

I'd say it's quality compared to the most recent seasons of Discovery. Little of it makes much sense, the writing is illogical and characters say/do things that just make me shake my head.

Spoilers....

Jack is Picards son? Are they saying accents are genetic? Also the actor was born in 1988. Does that mean He was born when TNG started? Or is he playing a 20 year old for some reason and Beverly had him when she was 53? All of it is stupid. Hoping it's a fake out, but that would be dumb too.

Ugh.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4178 on: February 25, 2023, 12:01:08 AM »
Oof. I'm not going anywhere near this.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #4179 on: February 25, 2023, 07:12:10 AM »
Yup, had to shoehorn in one of the oldest plot devices in history. Sadly my wife and I will still watch because we’re both huge fans of the characters but hope it gets a little better.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4180 on: February 25, 2023, 07:39:15 AM »
Yeah, Jack as Picard's kid is ridonkulous. 

Worf being the handler was telegraphed from miles away

What's with the whole '1-hour to make a decision' crap?  Such a pathetice a plot-device to build tension and suspense.  And what happened to Picard's "Admiral" title meaning nothing because he's retired.  All of a sudden the crew takes orders from him?  And I thought 7 was relieved of her post.  Now she's giving orders while looking for Jack?

The macro plot could turn out to be somewhat interesting, but the detailed storytelling is atrocious.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Adami

« Reply #4181 on: February 25, 2023, 07:58:09 AM »
I honestly almost turned it off when they couldn't beam them off the Beverly ship and Picard had NO idea why until Jack reminded him that he placed transport inhibitors everywhere that he just happened to have in his pocket the whole time. And only put them up the split second before the bad girl decided to beam him off the ship. And never beamed him off the Titan despite their shields being down the whole time until they THREW A SHIP AT IT. ugh.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #4182 on: February 25, 2023, 09:44:46 AM »

Spoilers....

Jack is Picards son? Are they saying accents are genetic? Also the actor was born in 1988. Does that mean He was born when TNG started? Or is he playing a 20 year old for some reason and Beverly had him when she was 53? All of it is stupid. Hoping it's a fake out, but that would be dumb too.

Ugh.

Picard takes place like 25 years after Nemesis right? I think the actor is playing someone in his early 20's. I could buy him as Picard's son, but it's shaky.

And yeah, EP2 wasn't great. Far from the worst Kurtzman era Trek, but not great.

I'm still kind of invested, and unlike season 2, I don't feel sick after watching the first couple of episodes. :lol

I'm still rooting for the new showrunner. He seem's like a nice guy based on interviews. And a real Trekkie too.

Online Adami

« Reply #4183 on: February 25, 2023, 09:59:00 AM »
I could have sworn that Picard said it's been 20 years, but I may have heard that wrong. And the dude that plays Jack is in his mid 30's. Could he be playing a 20 year old? Eh who even cares anymore.

Why is he British? Having a British dad doesn't give you an accent.

And you're right that the show runner seems like a nice guy and a real trekkie. However, he's bringing two main changes to Picard. One is things slowing down a bit which I greatly appreciate, though not nearly enough, and two an INTENSE nostalgia. I don't need old music and old font and 500 references. I just want good stories.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4184 on: February 25, 2023, 11:51:12 AM »
Picard and Crusher got it on in when they were under the influence of the mind altering thing in 'The Naked Now'.  Crusher gave Picard added a memory suppressant to his antidote, so he'd forget.  Crusher found out she was pregnant and requested a transfer once the bump started to show, the enterprise got a new Doctor in Pulaski, while Crusher gave birth on Earth. Crusher returned to the enterprise once she'd found a suitable adoptor and recovered emotionally.

Simples.... ;D

Online Adami

« Reply #4185 on: February 25, 2023, 11:57:27 AM »
Picard and Crusher got it on in when they were under the influence of the mind altering thing in 'The Naked Now'.  Crusher gave Picard added a memory suppressant to his antidote, so he'd forget.  Crusher found out she was pregnant and requested a transfer once the bump started to show, the enterprise got a new Doctor in Pulaski, while Crusher gave birth on Earth. Crusher returned to the enterprise once she'd found a suitable adoptor and recovered emotionally.

Simples.... ;D

Sadly they might actually do that. I hadn’t thought of using season 2 as an explanation but it’s just dumb enough to happen.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4186 on: February 25, 2023, 12:03:23 PM »

Simples.... ;D

Sadly they might actually do that. I hadn’t thought of using season 2 as an explanation but it’s just dumb enough to happen.

Shot me down!  I was quite proud of that  :-\

On a side note I going to binge watch this when it's all available, only want to pay for 1 month paramount +.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #4187 on: February 25, 2023, 12:17:33 PM »

Simples.... ;D

On a side note I going to binge watch this when it's all available, only want to pay for 1 month paramount +.

Here in my country, I can watch Picard with my Prime Video account. Screw Paramount+ ;D. Sadly I would need a Paramount+ subscription for Strange New Worlds..

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #4188 on: February 25, 2023, 01:34:46 PM »
This show is akin to grave robbing, yet I am still curious how low it can go. Are there any of the original writers on the show or are they all dead? There's still not a shred of Trek in this, yet they said it would be "completely different".

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4189 on: February 25, 2023, 03:41:05 PM »

Maybe Picard has galactically magnificent sperm. You don’t know how humans have evolved over the next 300 years!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4190 on: February 25, 2023, 04:18:21 PM »
He'd be French then, right? :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4191 on: February 27, 2023, 04:02:30 AM »

Simples.... ;D

Here in my country, I can watch Picard with my Prime Video account. Screw Paramount+ ;D. Sadly I would need a Paramount+ subscription for Strange New Worlds..

Oh wow.  Thanks for this, I just checked and it's the same for me - I just thought it was Paramount + only.   So I guess I'll catch up on those first two episodes this week.

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
« Reply #4192 on: February 27, 2023, 04:24:05 AM »

It's been eight years already. :sad:

Greetings...
Nef

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4193 on: February 27, 2023, 09:08:32 AM »
I didn't hate the episode as much as some of you did.

Honestly, compared to the first 2 seasons, I am finding this one positively Shakespearean, so I'm most likely just overlooking a lot of things and enjoying it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4194 on: February 27, 2023, 09:29:48 AM »
My problem with the son, is that he is played by an actor who was an evil bastard on Outlander, so I am conditioned to hate him.

And Picard isn't even British!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #4195 on: February 27, 2023, 09:47:36 AM »
Can't say I totally despise it, can't say it's good either. Just so fucking predictable, and way too much fan service. We've already had like 4 swan songs for the TNG crew, did we really need another? It's like 60s rock stars going on another Farewell Tour, and while they sound like shit, part of me is still happy to hear the classics.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4196 on: March 01, 2023, 01:33:30 AM »
So watched episode one.

Pro's. 

- Frakes will never be a good actor, but he is however so much fun on screen hamming it up playing Riker as a cantankerous loveable old git.
- The new Captain (Shaw?) was different, I kind off like him - I hope he doesn't just end up as a villain.

Con's.

- Star Trek Into Darkness.  Are their no lights in the future?  Every single scene (indoors or out) felt like it was shot at night.
- Whatever planet Raffi was on felt purely Star Wars not Trek.
- Beverly 'John Mcclane' Crusher - No, no and no.  Also maybe I'm wrong here but doesn't Bev cutting off the rest of the crew for 20 years contradict canon?
- ...and the saddest 'Con'...Patrick Steward just looks lost and confused in so many scenes.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2023, 06:07:14 AM by soupytwist »

Online Adami

« Reply #4197 on: March 01, 2023, 07:50:49 AM »
Agree about Frakes. Dude is just fun as hell to watch and still feels like Riker.

Mostly agree about the new captain. A real dick, but one you understood and could get behind. But then in episode 2 he is just content letting Riker and Picard die. I get the logic, but that is NOT what Starfleet is about at all, so he lost a lot of points with me based solely on that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4198 on: March 01, 2023, 08:27:30 AM »
- Beverly 'John Mcclane' Crusher - No, no and no.  Also maybe I'm wrong here but doesn't Bev cutting off the rest of the crew for 20 years contradict canon?

Every time I see the word "canon" related to ST it's kind of jarring. That was a concept that became meaningless 15 years ago, and now it's something so completely warped and twisted it has no real meaning or relevance. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4199 on: March 01, 2023, 08:51:01 AM »

Every time I see the word "canon" related to ST it's kind of jarring. That was a concept that became meaningless 15 years ago, and now it's something so completely warped and twisted it has no real meaning or relevance.

Yeah that's a fair point.  I guess it was more of a 'this doesn't feel right' to me kind off thing.