Author Topic: Star Trek: Thread Space 9  (Read 270769 times)

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
Re: Star Trek: Thread Space 9
« Reply #4130 on: February 01, 2023, 06:24:41 AM »
I'll tune in for Season 3. If it looks horrid by the end of episode 3, I'll check out. The trailer...didn't do much for me.

I think part of TNG's charm was the warmth and light. The whole television series was well-lit, and had this very familiar style to it. I'm not sure how else to describe it. Then everyone got cold and dark with the feature films, and I just never felt like TNG worked with that kind of production. Too early to tell, but this looks, based on the trailer, as more of the same.

Picard's fault - he only allows 4 lights.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4131 on: February 01, 2023, 10:04:44 AM »
I think Strange New Worlds Enterprise was decently bright and well lit. At least on par with TOS.

I really how how Pike's bridge kept the basic design of Kirk's bridge, especially those orange railings and panels, and the blocky bridge chair.  Then they made everything else dark blue and black, but installed light bars in everything so it wasn't so damned dark.  Something of a compromise, I suppose.  But it is supposed to be the same ship, so I guess it works.

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #4132 on: February 01, 2023, 03:49:56 PM »
could Alex Kurtzman be booted entirely from the Trek universe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBCKGfbe1Uo

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4133 on: February 01, 2023, 04:23:34 PM »
As much as I think we'd all like to see that, in the end it'd probably mean just another big chunk of IP that they're no longer allowed to use anymore. Klingon makeup Mk VI, anyone?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #4134 on: February 09, 2023, 03:51:05 PM »
I'll tune in for Season 3. If it looks horrid by the end of episode 3, I'll check out. The trailer...didn't do much for me.

I think part of TNG's charm was the warmth and light. The whole television series was well-lit, and had this very familiar style to it. I'm not sure how else to describe it. Then everyone got cold and dark with the feature films, and I just never felt like TNG worked with that kind of production. Too early to tell, but this looks, based on the trailer, as more of the same.

Picard's fault - he only allows 4 lights.

:lol :metal

THERE. ARE. FOUR. LIGHTS!
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4135 on: February 10, 2023, 09:41:29 AM »
Someone posted a review of Picard Season 3 and it's brutal.  But also funny and completely believable.

Don’t watch ‘Star Trek: Picard’ season three, it’ll only encourage them

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4136 on: February 10, 2023, 09:57:40 AM »
Someone posted a review of Picard Season 3 and it's brutal.  But also funny and completely believable.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #4137 on: February 10, 2023, 10:10:14 AM »
Yeah.....i don't think even if Adami endorses it that I'll waste my time on that....or finishing out S2.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4138 on: February 10, 2023, 02:05:10 PM »

Wow. Damn. Well, I usually make up my own mind, but I'm out. Trek has buried itself. I'll just live on my memories of TNG and DS9. Peace out!
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online Adami

« Reply #4139 on: February 10, 2023, 02:57:45 PM »
Also, not sure if anyone has seen/heard these, but Trip and Reed from Enterprise have their own Star Trek podcast where they do lengthy interviews with various Trek folk. I haven't seen much but what I have seen was pretty good. They get pretty blunt and honest about things, as do their guests, and go into some interesting depth.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4140 on: February 10, 2023, 03:11:10 PM »
Yeah.....i don't think even if Adami endorses it that I'll waste my time on that....or finishing out S2.

Seconded. But I think we can be quite assured that Adami won’t be endorsing this tripe.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4141 on: February 10, 2023, 03:12:54 PM »
Also, not sure if anyone has seen/heard these, but Trip and Reed from Enterprise have their own Star Trek podcast where they do lengthy interviews with various Trek folk. I haven't seen much but what I have seen was pretty good. They get pretty blunt and honest about things, as do their guests, and go into some interesting depth.

Hmmm....interesting. Although I'd be more interested in a T'pol old school fitness video? 

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4142 on: February 10, 2023, 03:13:36 PM »

Seconded. But I think we can be quite assured that Adami won’t be endorsing this tripe.

You never know.....he may do it just to lure us in to subject us to it as well?

Online Adami

« Reply #4143 on: February 10, 2023, 03:23:57 PM »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4144 on: February 10, 2023, 03:41:06 PM »

Hmmm....interesting. Although I'd be more interested in a T'pol old school fitness video?
Yeah, it's actually quite horrifying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ov7bmslydJY&ab_channel=WorldBeauty_entertainment
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

« Reply #4145 on: February 10, 2023, 03:46:45 PM »
The thing is it doesn’t matter how bad it is. They won’t learn or care. A portion of the fan base will think it’s amazing and will love what I assume are 20-30 referrences and be perfectly satisfied with “oh I remember that!”

Everyone else will be brushed off as haters, gatekeepers, purists, Stadlers, or people who just don’t appreciate change and anything new. It makes no difference.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4146 on: February 10, 2023, 03:51:44 PM »
I love how Stads is a category.  :lol

Fucking legend.

www.roadstomadness.com

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4147 on: February 10, 2023, 04:30:45 PM »

Yeah, it's actually quite horrifying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ov7bmslydJY&ab_channel=WorldBeauty_entertainment

She needs to eat a freaking cheeseburger! But she’s still hot

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4148 on: February 14, 2023, 09:27:43 AM »
The thing is it doesn’t matter how bad it is. They won’t learn or care. A portion of the fan base will think it’s amazing and will love what I assume are 20-30 referrences and be perfectly satisfied with “oh I remember that!”

Everyone else will be brushed off as haters, gatekeepers, purists, Stadlers, or people who just don’t appreciate change and anything new. It makes no difference.
I mean, I'm still gonna watch it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4149 on: February 14, 2023, 09:36:31 AM »
I'm gonna watch it, too.  I might find myself cringing, facepalming, even yelling at my TV, but I have to see what's next for Picard and the rest of them.  This is all canon, like it or not.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4150 on: February 16, 2023, 11:36:52 AM »
Just watched the first episode of Picard Season 3.

It wastes no time getting into action, which I guess was to be expected.

Not to spoil anything, but there MAY be a plot of some kind involved.

I don't know.  Certainly some good things, and some things I don't like.  We'll see.  I'm sure I'll hate it by the end, but I love the characters (some of them, anyway) too much not to watch.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4151 on: February 16, 2023, 04:01:52 PM »
So here is an episode written by ChatGTP.

Title: "The Carrot Conspiracy"

Captain's Log, Stardate 94150.6: The USS Enterprise is on a routine mission to survey an unexplored planet when we receive a distress signal from a nearby settlement. Upon arrival, we discover a society of sentient carrots who are being oppressed by an evil group of toupees.

The crew beams down to the planet to investigate and is met by the leader of the carrot society, who informs them that the toupees have been taking their crops and enslaving their people. The toupees are also able to grow larger and more powerful when they become excited, making them difficult to defeat.

The crew is shocked to discover that Wesley Crusher has been murdered, suplexed to death and his mother is the prime suspect. She claims that she was forced to do it by the toupees, who threatened to harm her family if she didn't comply with their demands.

As the crew investigates the murder, they discover a cache of cheese-flavored shoes that the toupees have been using to lure the carrots into traps. They also learn that the toupees have been using phasers set to tickle to incapacitate their enemies.

The crew decides to stage a tennis match between the toupees and the Enterprise crew as a distraction while they launch a surprise attack. The match is intense, but the crew is able to use their phasers to tickle the toupees into submission.

As the toupees are defeated, they reveal that they were actually being controlled by a higher power, a powerful entity made entirely of sentient cheese. The entity had been using the toupees as pawns in its bid for galactic domination.

The crew is able to defeat the cheese entity by using the carrot crops as a conduit for a powerful energy blast. The entity is destroyed, and the toupees are freed from its control.

Captain's Log, Supplemental: The crew of the Enterprise was able to restore peace to the planet and bring the toupees to justice. The murder of Wesley Crusher was a tragedy, but it served as a reminder of the dangers of oppression and the importance of standing up for what is right. As the Enterprise sets course for its next mission, the crew reflects on the lessons learned during their adventure on the planet of the sentient carrots.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4152 on: February 16, 2023, 05:05:57 PM »
I think I've heard of ChatGTP, but I have no idea what it is.  Some kind of AI writing thing?

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4153 on: February 16, 2023, 05:33:29 PM »
Yeah.  This one is as good as modern Trek writing...

Title: "Beard Trouble and Pesky Flies"

The USS Enterprise, commanded by Captain Jean-Luc Picard, was on a routine mission to explore a distant planet. Commander William Riker, the first officer, was leading the away team to gather samples of the local flora and fauna.

As they trudged through the dense undergrowth, Riker began to feel a strange itching sensation on his face. At first, he thought it was just a minor irritation, but it soon became clear that something was seriously wrong.

Riker's beard had come to life and was attacking him! The strands of hair had elongated into thin tentacles that wrapped themselves around his face and neck, squeezing tightly. Riker tried to fight back, but the beard seemed to have a will of its own.

Picard and the rest of the crew were stunned when they received Riker's distress call. They rushed to the planet's surface, armed with phasers and tricorders.

"What on earth is going on, Number One?" Picard demanded, as he aimed his phaser at Riker's beard.

"I don't know, sir!" Riker gasped, as he struggled to breathe. "But my beard seems to have turned against me."

Picard hesitated for a moment, not wanting to risk injuring his friend, but eventually fired his phaser at the offending facial hair. To everyone's relief, the beard quickly retreated and slithered away into the undergrowth.

As they caught their breath, the away team noticed a swarm of small flies buzzing around them. Picard swatted one of the insects with his hand, but instead of crushing it, he found that it had somehow become lodged in his palm.

"What kind of creatures are these?" Picard wondered, as he tried to remove the fly from his hand.

Data, the android officer, scanned the insect with his tricorder. "Fascinating," he said. "It appears that these flies have developed a unique defense mechanism. They secrete a powerful adhesive that allows them to cling to any surface."

Picard and the rest of the crew soon found themselves swarmed by the pesky flies, which were proving impossible to shake off. The away team was forced to retreat back to the safety of the Enterprise, where they spent several hours removing the sticky insects from their skin and clothing.

As the crew recovered from their strange encounter with the planet's wildlife, Riker couldn't help but feel a little embarrassed by his rogue beard. He vowed to keep a closer eye on his facial hair from now on, just in case it decided to cause trouble again.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4154 on: February 17, 2023, 05:53:15 AM »
Its like reading a mad lib.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #4155 on: February 17, 2023, 07:15:14 AM »
Well, it's a trainwreck but I'll keep on watching it. For a moment I thought Crusher was badly CGI generated.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4156 on: February 17, 2023, 07:47:08 AM »
Well, it's a trainwreck but I'll keep on watching it. For a moment I thought Crusher was badly CGI generated.

Yeah... and The Titan looked like a PS/2 rendered space ship.  Frakes' facial reactions were terrible.

It wasn't as bad as I was expecting, but I'm sure I just need to give it time.   :lol
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Adami

« Reply #4157 on: February 17, 2023, 07:49:39 AM »
Not sure when I'll have time to see this since sister in law is visiting this weekend, but I'm sooooo excited to see it when I can.  :|
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4158 on: February 17, 2023, 07:55:08 AM »
I will say that the score is glorious.  Which makes sense, because it is just lifted themes of Jerry Goldsmith from the films.

But it sounds great.

I also really liked Captain Shaw.  And by "liked" I mean, he's a son of a bitch (he deleted Riker's jazz library from the Titan!) and I hate him, but the actor is great and I love watching him.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2023, 08:06:09 AM by hefdaddy42 »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4159 on: February 17, 2023, 08:03:27 AM »
I will see that the score is glorious.  Which makes sense, because it is just lifted themes of Jerry Goldsmith from the films.

But it sounds great.

I also really liked Captain Shaw.  And by "liked" I mean, he's a son of a bitch (he deleted Riker's jazz library from the Titan!) and I hate him, but the actor is great and I love watching him.

Yeah, he's a complete arrogant douche-waffle.  Reminds me, to a certain degree, of Captain Jellico

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4160 on: February 17, 2023, 11:09:13 AM »
Interesting how many references and callbacks, even to TOS were in this first episode:

https://youtu.be/BBqgSS7VhM8

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus

Offline jammindude

"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Adami

« Reply #4164 on: February 17, 2023, 11:49:40 AM »
Interesting how many references and callbacks, even to TOS were in this first episode:

https://youtu.be/BBqgSS7VhM8

This annoys me without even knowing the details. Can't ST just be a good story? I am just so sick of 500 easter eggs and references. I don't watch ST for member berries, but they know it's what sells. Crappy episode? Who cares, I saw so many things I remembered. It's just so cynical and insulting.
fanticide.bandcamp.com