Author Topic: Star Trek: Thread Space 9  (Read 270833 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: Star Trek: Thread Space 9
« Reply #4095 on: January 08, 2023, 08:39:30 PM »
Yeah, "wrong body type" is being euphemistic, but "too fat" isn't really accurate either.  They had to tell her something, but I have no idea what would be appropriate, professional, etc.  Basically, they were looking for "smokin' hot" and she's okay but I wouldn't go that far.  With Jolene they found their "smokin' hot" bod and the rest is history.

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #4096 on: January 09, 2023, 04:37:23 PM »

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4097 on: January 23, 2023, 12:11:00 PM »
Haven't updated, but I officially finished my big rewatch after several years. Everything from the first episode of Enterprise to Star Trek Nemesis, only skipping the animated show and the newer stuff (which I've mostly already watched except for the cartoons).

I ended up mostly digging Voyager. It wasn't amazing, though it was at times for sure, and some characters were dull and had no development, but overall I found it fun, engaging, charming, and often overly reduced in conversation about it. Wished it had a more pronounced ending though.

Anyway, then last night I finally watched Nemesis again. I mean....it's not good. It has moments, it really does. The acting ain't bad at all, there's really great scenes and ideas, but the story itself was just not good enough. The B4 stuff, the clone of Picard, it just wasn't good enough to make the story. Though that little scene where Troi uses her telepathy or whatever to locate the ship and fire was handled very well. That was cool. And overall the performances were good. Just wish it went off on a better note.

Now....-sigh-....because I'm a completionist and a glutton for punishment, I am resuming Picard season 2, episode 5.

May Q have mercy on my soul.

I probably won't comment much about it because too much negativity is not fun.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4098 on: January 23, 2023, 03:33:42 PM »
No snark.   
What did you find charming and engaging about Voyager?  For me it was generally consistent in its mediocrity, which made it OK to watch but rarely registered more than I shrug.  Even the shows strongest attribute 'The Doctor' was generally served poorly as episodes whereby he was the main focus were more often than not weak.

Offline Adami

« Reply #4099 on: January 26, 2023, 07:27:05 PM »
Finished Picard season 2. I could write a whole lot about what I hated about this show. Instead, I will say that I thought it was WITHOUT using the word dumb.

The show was ....absurd, cretinous, daft, foolish, half-witted, idiotic, inane, moronic, thick, dense, dim-written, brainless, obtuse, naďve, blithering, imbecilic and doltish.

And while it made no sense in context, out of context the goodbye between Picard and Q was well done only because of those two actors.

So happy to be done and hoping season 3 is better.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Adami

« Reply #4100 on: January 26, 2023, 07:36:53 PM »
No snark.   
What did you find charming and engaging about Voyager?  For me it was generally consistent in its mediocrity, which made it OK to watch but rarely registered more than I shrug.  Even the shows strongest attribute 'The Doctor' was generally served poorly as episodes whereby he was the main focus were more often than not weak.

Missed this.

I dunno how to answer this. It's like asking why I like mac and cheese. I just do?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4101 on: January 26, 2023, 11:21:29 PM »
Picard season 2 was a clusterfuck of big ideas with terrible execution and bizarre tonal shifts.  The episode where Raffi and 7 steal a cop car is without doubt one of the 5 worst Trek episodes ever.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4102 on: January 27, 2023, 12:46:12 PM »
BUT THAT RED DRESS!!!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Adami

« Reply #4103 on: January 27, 2023, 12:47:01 PM »
BUT THAT RED DRESS!!!

It's a shocking thing when Jeri isn't the hottest person in your episode, but yes, I'll give you that dress.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #4104 on: January 27, 2023, 03:39:25 PM »
Finished Picard season 2. I could write a whole lot about what I hated about this show. Instead, I will say that I thought it was WITHOUT using the word dumb.

The show was ....absurd, cretinous, daft, foolish, half-witted, idiotic, inane, moronic, thick, dense, dim-written, brainless, obtuse, naďve, blithering, imbecilic and doltish.

And while it made no sense in context, out of context the goodbye between Picard and Q was well done only because of those two actors.

So happy to be done and hoping season 3 is better.

Glad I didn't waste my time after the horrific season one. Looking forward to season 3.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Adami

« Reply #4105 on: January 27, 2023, 05:11:47 PM »
At this point I'm Charlie Brown and Picard is that damn Lucy and the football.

I know what's going to happen. It keeps happening. They pretend like it won't happen but I know better.

And I'm still going to try anyway because I'm a sucker.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #4106 on: January 28, 2023, 06:13:21 AM »

I know what's going to happen. It keeps happening. They pretend like it won't happen but I know better.

You're such a masochist. I'd advise coming up with a safe word for S3 in case they really go off the rails.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4107 on: January 28, 2023, 10:28:20 AM »

That sums it up for me as well.  By that point, I didn't care anymore because nothing made any sense anymore, but Stewart and de Lancie elevate pretty much every scene they're in.  Actually, the whole season, probably the whole series is that way.  The writing is sometimes mind-bogglingly stupid, but they act the hell out of it, and somehow it keeps me watching even as I'm thinking "this is fucking stupid".

Offline Adami

« Reply #4108 on: January 28, 2023, 02:42:17 PM »

You're such a masochist. I'd advise coming up with a safe word for S3 in case they really go off the rails.

How about “there are five lights”?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4109 on: January 29, 2023, 01:40:47 PM »
Annie Werching passed away at 45!  R.I.P. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4110 on: January 29, 2023, 04:20:07 PM »
Damn. :(

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4111 on: January 29, 2023, 07:18:39 PM »
Did I see Moriarty in that trailer??

Same.  The only difference is, like S2, I'll have no problem if they go off the rails quickly.  I think I watched 1 Ep of S2, and with all the rage this thread was throwing at it, never bothered to go back to it.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Adami

« Reply #4112 on: January 29, 2023, 08:21:08 PM »

-sigh-....yes....yes you did.

Also newest and last trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lw0pg11OzCQ

This one looks completely atrocious and almost like they're just trolling the fans. It's like they said "Well, we clearly have way too much explosions and fighting and stuff.....so....let's keep doing that but also make fun of ourselves for doing it so people will be okay with it."
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4113 on: January 29, 2023, 08:55:54 PM »
You what would be great?

If it was all those brain worms from Season 1!  It was all a conspiracy! You thought they were just a one off that disappeared and was forgotten…but NOOOOOOOOO!!! It was them all along!!!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4114 on: January 30, 2023, 01:10:30 AM »
You what would be great?

If it was all those brain worms from Season 1!  It was all a conspiracy! You thought they were just a one off that disappeared and was forgotten…but NOOOOOOOOO!!! It was them all along!!!

Ha!  I believe that was supposed to be the start of a big story arc for TNG but like you said it was never referred again................till now!

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4115 on: January 30, 2023, 04:52:29 AM »
I'm just not sure these characters will fit into an arc based storytelling.

They should have just spent the first episode getting the old crew together - then a handful of episodes each telling a different story (like Trek used to do), then a 2 part finale.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4116 on: January 30, 2023, 09:52:54 AM »
More importantly, did I see the Narada in that trailer?

Boy, I hope not.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #4117 on: January 30, 2023, 09:57:44 AM »

-sigh-....yes....yes you did.

Also newest and last trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lw0pg11OzCQ

This one looks completely atrocious and almost like they're just trolling the fans. It's like they said "Well, we clearly have way too much explosions and fighting and stuff.....so....let's keep doing that but also make fun of ourselves for doing it so people will be okay with it."

I'm just going to wait for your assessment before even attempting to finish S2 (I think I'm four or five episodes shy of finishing that one) and then start S3. Was thoroughly unimpressed and bored with this show in S2 to the point I just gave up.....and I'm usually pretty good about finishing a show/season even if it sucks. But this one is just really bad.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Adami

« Reply #4118 on: January 30, 2023, 12:41:49 PM »
I will happily be your Star Trek canary in the coalmine.  :lol
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #4119 on: January 30, 2023, 04:14:39 PM »
I'll tune in for Season 3. If it looks horrid by the end of episode 3, I'll check out. The trailer...didn't do much for me.

I think part of TNG's charm was the warmth and light. The whole television series was well-lit, and had this very familiar style to it. I'm not sure how else to describe it. Then everyone got cold and dark with the feature films, and I just never felt like TNG worked with that kind of production. Too early to tell, but this looks, based on the trailer, as more of the same.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #4120 on: January 30, 2023, 04:35:46 PM »
I will happily be your Star Trek canary in the coalmine.  :lol

:lol
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4121 on: January 30, 2023, 04:37:01 PM »
I'll tune in for Season 3. If it looks horrid by the end of episode 3, I'll check out. The trailer...didn't do much for me.

I think part of TNG's charm was the warmth and light. The whole television series was well-lit, and had this very familiar style to it. I'm not sure how else to describe it. Then everyone got cold and dark with the feature films, and I just never felt like TNG worked with that kind of production. Too early to tell, but this looks, based on the trailer, as more of the same.

I was thinking the same thing.  The Enterprise-D was always so bright and spacious.  Since then, ships have been getting progressively more dark and cramped.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Adami

« Reply #4122 on: January 30, 2023, 04:38:09 PM »

I was thinking the same thing.  The Enterprise-D was always so bright and spacious.  Since then, ships have been getting progressively more dark and cramped.

I think Strange New Worlds Enterprise was decently bright and well lit. At least on par with TOS.

But yea, I remember watching Nemesis a week or so ago and they were having conversations in rooms that were essentially pitch black. It was odd.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #4123 on: January 30, 2023, 10:14:49 PM »
Annie Werching passed away at 45!  R.I.P.

this is really sad at such a young age.

I have not seen her as the Borg queen, but I liked her quite a lot in Marvel's The Runaways.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4124 on: January 31, 2023, 07:06:05 AM »

Boy, I hope not.
I was hoping for some reassurance that I did not, in fact, see what I thought I saw.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Adami

« Reply #4125 on: January 31, 2023, 07:12:06 AM »
First I had to google the name of the ship. It was familiar but not easily recognizable. Then when I saw what it was, I had two options. 1) Watch that damn trailer again to look for it, or 2) Shrug and do anything else.

I went with 2. Modern day trek ships are either federation style or have no memorable style to them. So did you see it? Maybe. You also may have seen 200 other ships that all look the same and don't matter.

The logical part of me knows that the Narada would have already been sent to the past long before Picard began. But then I remember that the writers don't care at all about anything and will do whatever they want.

So, in short, maybe?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4126 on: January 31, 2023, 07:16:19 AM »

Boy, I hope not.
I was hoping for some reassurance that I did not, in fact, see what I thought I saw.

I only saw it once but I thought the same thing. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4127 on: January 31, 2023, 09:25:19 AM »
Romulans have been big bads in the Picard show, so it could be.

But I hope not, because I am not a fan of the Kelvin-verse in any way and want nothing relating to it in any "real Trek" properties.

Even one that's been as mediocre-to-bad as Picard.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4128 on: January 31, 2023, 09:58:33 AM »
Same here.  I guess we'll see.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #4129 on: January 31, 2023, 10:00:44 AM »
You what would be great?

Ha!  I believe that was supposed to be the start of a big story arc for TNG but like you said it was never referred again................till now!

I would actually be okay if the brain worms were the big bad of this final season! As far as I remember that TNG episode ended with the brain worms sending a message into deep space, and urging the rest of their race to conquer the Federation.

That would tie neatly into a obscure Season 1 TNG episode, and tie up that loose end. Somehow I doubt this will will happen, but I'd be down with this.

The final trailer looked OK..