Author Topic: Star Trek: Thread Space 9  (Read 270680 times)

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
Re: Star Trek: Thread Space 9
« Reply #4060 on: September 24, 2022, 05:16:52 PM »
Just finished DS9.

What a great finale. Just a tremendous show. I think I was more intrigued and impressed by Nana and Kira and her whole arc this time. But really, this was just a fantastic show.

Still have 2 seasons of Voyager left and then that awful Nemesis movie.

Nana was a bit of a ham actress prone to bouts of overacting, but I kindoff liked her because of that.  Sometimes when her and Sisko shared a scene that acting was crazy.  Vampy evil universe Kira was ridiculously campy (in a good way).

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4061 on: October 01, 2022, 10:42:46 PM »
Lower Decks is at this moment….my favorite ST show.

“THANKS FOR THE MIMOSAS!!!!”

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #4062 on: October 03, 2022, 04:11:59 PM »
Apparently it was Avery Brooks' birthday yesterday. Man, I am so jealous of folks that met him...met any of the DS9 cast. Out of all the Star Trek shows and films over the years, this is still the one I find to be the absolute best.

re: Winn Adami - absolutely a complex character. I hated her, and yet she was SO SO good.

Regarding the ending of the show, as much as it pains me as a fan, it probably WAS the right way to end it. As much as I've enjoyed some of the extended universe that came later, the televised ending was appropriate.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4063 on: October 04, 2022, 03:36:32 PM »
Really enjoyed being back on DS9 in the latest Lower Decks. That's a setting I could enjoy seeing more of...
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4064 on: October 08, 2022, 08:07:47 PM »
New trailer for Picard season 3 is out and it looks......terrible. Just.....awful.

And was that god damn Moriarti coming back!?!?

I just can't believe I'm going to watch this. My love for this crew is strong enough to keep me in this abusive relationship. Thank Q this is the last season ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo2V1cSVj-w
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4065 on: October 09, 2022, 07:48:10 AM »
Hmm... Spaceship!!

Could it be a better TNG send-off than Nemesis, though? I'll probably give it a go for the cast and characters. I've not watched S2 - do you think it'll matter?

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #4066 on: October 09, 2022, 12:36:57 PM »
Hmm... Spaceship!!

Could it be a better TNG send-off than Nemesis, though? I'll probably give it a go for the cast and characters. I've not watched S2 - do you think it'll matter?

Considering Raffi is the only new character returning from past seasons, you should be fine.

Looks a better than previous seasons, but this is only judging from the trailers. This could be just as awful as season 1 and 2. At least the full TNG crew is back for one last hurrah. Michael Dorn being back as Worf is long overdue.

And I'm so ready to see what whacky hijinks Moriarty is up to! :lol

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #4067 on: October 09, 2022, 12:43:43 PM »
Hopefully it's not abysmal, but the trailer is too dramatic, too serious and over the top for me.

Offline Adami

« Reply #4068 on: October 09, 2022, 01:07:12 PM »
Hopefully it's not abysmal, but the trailer is too dramatic, too serious and over the top for me.

Very serious. And then freaking Moriarti shows up and I almost clicked out of it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4069 on: October 09, 2022, 01:39:08 PM »

Very serious. And then freaking Moriarti shows up and I almost clicked out of it.
I do like the two Moriarty episodes. They came up while I was down with C19. No idea how (or why) you'd base a whole series on him, though. He was a good single episode antagonist. Also, if Worf actually is a pacifist now that'd be pretty funny.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Adami

« Reply #4070 on: October 09, 2022, 02:04:35 PM »
I liked the Moriarti episodes too. I also liked the Q episodes, the Romulus episodes, the Data episodes, and the Borg episodes. Didn’t stop them from ruining all of that in seasons 1 and 2.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4071 on: October 10, 2022, 09:27:28 AM »
I agree with all of that, but I will still watch it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4072 on: October 13, 2022, 03:24:28 PM »
I'm not even bothering with the trailer. Season One was torture enough. Raffi was terrible, so the fact she survived season 2 and is on season 3... ugh.

I love the TNG crew. Got my start in Trek with them (and the original cast films). In fact, I remember when I was growing up, we didn't have a VCR for a long time because we were pretty poor. So I ended up recording the audio of each show on a tape recorder held up to the TV's one speaker, and then relistening to episodes over and over again. I did this for about a year before we finally got a VCR again. So my love for TNG is strong. But I can't do it with this Picard series. Just awful.

DS9 forever baby!  :metal
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #4073 on: October 13, 2022, 05:22:53 PM »
They don't even need these ridiculous bad guys. TNG was always best when it focused on the interactions of the crew and their adventures. These "epic" scenes and big scary dudes suck. Just give us a fun journey into space with some good bumps in the road. This is one of the reasons Discovery sucks so bad.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #4074 on: October 14, 2022, 01:37:22 AM »
Yeah, these long story arcs are fine and all, but when it's just that it's tiring. I don't want to watch a 10 hour long movie. They seem to have forgotten some part of story telling as DS9 and even ENT and other shows have delivered consistent multi-season arcs without it feeling like a one big thing.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #4075 on: October 16, 2022, 01:14:19 PM »
1 of the top 5 most Murdered Franchises
https://youtu.be/UGeOxeBoJvA?t=441

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4076 on: October 16, 2022, 10:46:55 PM »

That's just angry clickbait nonsense.

Edit : just looked at their other videos.  Hates everything and promotes Alex Jones.   Yeah, I think I'll avoid that......
« Last Edit: October 16, 2022, 11:02:56 PM by soupytwist »

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #4077 on: October 17, 2022, 05:18:21 PM »

Can't say I disagreed with him in pretty much everyhting he said...

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4078 on: October 17, 2022, 11:05:51 PM »

Can't say I disagreed with him in pretty much everyhting he said...

Well he fails to even mention Strange New Worlds, I guess because it doesn't fit his agenda?  Also brushes over the generally well received (although it's not my cup of tea) Lower Decks.  He hates on the JJ movies but never questions the inconsistency of the movies before.
Oh and he calls Chakotay an iconic character  :mehlin

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4079 on: December 05, 2022, 09:18:08 AM »
So my cellular service provider has offered a free subscription to Paramount Plus for one year, with it being 4.99 per month thereafter. So I'll take the plunge so I can watch (and hopefully stomach) Season Two of Picard. Might as well, since I'm committed to following Season Three, given the TNG, DS9 and Voyager ties. Excited for that. But someone please kill Raffi in episode one of Season Three. I'm begging you. Unless she got better in Season Two, which I doubt.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Adami

« Reply #4080 on: December 05, 2022, 09:21:29 AM »
I don’t really have a problem with Rafi. I’d get rid of L. Ron immediately and make sure Allison Pill never comes back. But in the end, the depth of problems this show has, one of the characters doesn’t make an impact.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4081 on: December 05, 2022, 03:11:09 PM »
I'm 3 episodes into Strange New Worlds and very much enjoying the episodic nature. WAY better than Picard and Discovery.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4082 on: December 05, 2022, 04:35:50 PM »
I'm 3 episodes into Strange New Worlds and very much enjoying the episodic nature. WAY better than Picard and Discovery.

Seriously the best new ST show. I hope it’s getting all the praise and attention it deserves because I haven’t seen a lot of buzz around it. But maybe I just missed it.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Adami

« Reply #4083 on: December 05, 2022, 04:38:25 PM »

Seriously the best new ST show. I hope it’s getting all the praise and attention it deserves because I haven’t seen a lot of buzz around it. But maybe I just missed it.

I hope it doesn't suffer from Bumblebee syndrome. Where the first 4-5 whatever Transformers movies had become SO bad that even though Bumblebee was really good, it was too little too late and the awfulness of the other movies ruined its chances. I hope Picard and Discovery and their awfulness hasn't ruined SNW's chances.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4084 on: December 07, 2022, 03:10:53 AM »

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4085 on: December 07, 2022, 05:59:40 AM »

I hope it doesn't suffer from Bumblebee syndrome. Where the first 4-5 whatever Transformers movies had become SO bad that even though Bumblebee was really good, it was too little too late and the awfulness of the other movies ruined its chances. I hope Picard and Discovery and their awfulness hasn't ruined SNW's chances.

I thought the Bumblebee syndrome was when an average movie gets overrated by by virtue of the fact that the previous films were so terrible that even something half competent seems really good by contrast.  ;D

Offline Adami

« Reply #4086 on: December 07, 2022, 07:54:42 AM »

I thought the Bumblebee syndrome was when an average movie gets overrated by by virtue of the fact that the previous films were so terrible that even something half competent seems really good by contrast.  ;D

I'd say better than average, but that's pretty close too.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4087 on: December 07, 2022, 10:11:42 AM »
Bumblebee is not ground-breaking, but it is competent, comprehensible and has a good deal of heart to it, which is definitely more than you can say for the bayformers films up until that point. It's a decent popcorn flick.

It also has G1 Optimus prime and Soundwave, so it gets like a whole furlong of leeway as far as I am concerned.

I'd really like to watch SNW but paramount seems determined not to let me watch it in Sweden.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4088 on: December 24, 2022, 08:26:12 PM »
I'm back on Star Trek after a few month hiatus.
Towards the end of TNG's season 7 and DS9's season 2, I'm very much enjoying swinging between them by airdate until TNG ends.
So many thoughts I wanted to share along the way since I last posted here, although that's not what I came to talk about.
I'll miss TNG when it's over, that show really looped onto itself though; season 7 almost matches season 1 in quality, it's come full circle :lol

Real quick though, anyone here ever lived in a rental apartments complex in the U.S maybe familiar with the sight of the two in-house handymen going around the complex in a golf cart, fixing everything that needs to be fixed, from changing light bulbs to spraying for pests and beyond. I don't know why but the frequency of which we see Data and Georgi crawl around the Enterprise with a toolbox to fix this or that in the later seasons, just got me to the point where I can't help but think of the two handymen from the apartments heh

But I'm here to say DS9 is blowing me away, truly excellent so far. I feel like I shouldn't name certain aspects that I like about it since I'm sure I'll leave a lot of stuff out. Season 1 came out firing on all cylinders, more great episodes than average ones, but I dare say their season 2 matches TNG's season 4 in quality, that shit is just so well written! I can only imagine what they could have done without the budget and technological limitations of 1990's TV.

When it comes to cast, with DS9 we start with more likeable actors than I did with TNG. I was initially not impressed by Sisko, whom the actor plays with the same approach he would for playing a high school principal for some reason, but he grew on me fast, for the most part he feels like one of the cast, not the main character, unlike what we had with Kirk and Picard. Dude is very.. mundane? Might not be the right word, but he just wants to do his job and get off at 5, maybe 3 on Friday. Which is funny cause he's got himself an engineer that matches his energy level perfectly heh

Speaking of old O'Brien, the actor has changed his approach significantly here. As soon as he got on DS9 his sleeves got permanently rolled up and he now sports a Scotty attitude of the highest I'm-giving-her-all-she's-got caliber, which is fine; better than what he was on TNG.

Dax is played by a weak actress, just like Troi was, but the actress playing Dax is beautiful, so she's good. May sound sexist, but I apply the same standard to actors. It also helps that Dax is a WAY more interesting character on paper than Troi ever was. I make the comparison cause they're both the weakest links on start up.

Bashir, what a fucking ass, easily the worst character on paper. I'm hoping he either gets Tasha-Yar'ed soon or gets some better writing for his character. I actually hope for the latter since I know Doran Martell is capable of fine acting.

Odo is a very interesting character, his very presence and role on DS9 is a stretch in the context of the world. The actor is excellent and the character seems to already show so many layers to look forward to.

Kira is your default angry Bajoran lady, almost a clone of Michelle Forbes TNG character, except Kira is very one dimensional, although she does not have an irritating presence. Another character that clearly has much potential to grow.
I feel like it would have been awesome to just bring Michelle Forbes character over here, instead of writing Kira, since Forbes has been gone from TNG for at least a season.

Last but not least; Quark. Easily my favorite. Most entertaining to watch and best actor on the show, under a ton of make-up; he still managed to make this character shine beyond anything I would have expected from a Ferengi. There were never any odds that one of my favorite Star Trek characters ever could be a Ferengi, that dude made it happen.
There hasn't been a scene on DS9 with Quark present that he doesn't force me to stay fixated on him, he's never just there, never just waiting to say his line, so many little nuances and reactions. Quark is probably the most complete character on this shows, as in the most fully fleshed out and absorbed by his actor.

So much more I'd like to share about how TNG and DS9 have been since I last posted but I gotta run, will try to stop by again soon!
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4089 on: December 24, 2022, 09:51:27 PM »
Kira is your default angry Bajoran lady, almost a clone of Michelle Forbes TNG character, except Kira is very one dimensional, although she does not have an irritating presence. Another character that clearly has much potential to grow.
I feel like it would have been awesome to just bring Michelle Forbes character over here, instead of writing Kira, since Forbes has been gone from TNG for at least a season.

From how you've written your comments, it's hard for me to tell whether or not you're aware, so I'll just point it out.  The Kira character was originally Ro Laren from TNG.  She and O'Brien were to be the two connections to TNG, but Michelle Forbes backed out after originally saying she was on board.  So Ro became Kira, Nana Visitor was cast, and they came up with a new backstory.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4090 on: December 25, 2022, 12:31:42 AM »
Bashir gets a lot better, basically makes two important friendships that really help his character.
Nana Visitor comes from the same school of ham acting.Shatner attended, it's starts of a bit grating but you get used to it after a while and just becomes part of the character - her mirror universe Kira is hilariously OTT.
There is a character you haven't mentioned (he's probably not been in the show much in those early seasons) who becomes one of the great Trek characters.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4091 on: December 25, 2022, 11:43:44 AM »
I'm back on Star Trek after a few month hiatus.
Towards the end of TNG's season 7 and DS9's season 2, I'm very much enjoying swinging between them by airdate until TNG ends.
So many thoughts I wanted to share along the way since I last posted here, although that's not what I came to talk about.
I'll miss TNG when it's over, that show really looped onto itself though; season 7 almost matches season 1 in quality, it's come full circle :lol

Real quick though, anyone here ever lived in a rental apartments complex in the U.S maybe familiar with the sight of the two in-house handymen going around the complex in a golf cart, fixing everything that needs to be fixed, from changing light bulbs to spraying for pests and beyond. I don't know why but the frequency of which we see Data and Georgi crawl around the Enterprise with a toolbox to fix this or that in the later seasons, just got me to the point where I can't help but think of the two handymen from the apartments heh

But I'm here to say DS9 is blowing me away, truly excellent so far. I feel like I shouldn't name certain aspects that I like about it since I'm sure I'll leave a lot of stuff out. Season 1 came out firing on all cylinders, more great episodes than average ones, but I dare say their season 2 matches TNG's season 4 in quality, that shit is just so well written! I can only imagine what they could have done without the budget and technological limitations of 1990's TV.

When it comes to cast, with DS9 we start with more likeable actors than I did with TNG. I was initially not impressed by Sisko, whom the actor plays with the same approach he would for playing a high school principal for some reason, but he grew on me fast, for the most part he feels like one of the cast, not the main character, unlike what we had with Kirk and Picard. Dude is very.. mundane? Might not be the right word, but he just wants to do his job and get off at 5, maybe 3 on Friday. Which is funny cause he's got himself an engineer that matches his energy level perfectly heh

Speaking of old O'Brien, the actor has changed his approach significantly here. As soon as he got on DS9 his sleeves got permanently rolled up and he now sports a Scotty attitude of the highest I'm-giving-her-all-she's-got caliber, which is fine; better than what he was on TNG.

Dax is played by a weak actress, just like Troi was, but the actress playing Dax is beautiful, so she's good. May sound sexist, but I apply the same standard to actors. It also helps that Dax is a WAY more interesting character on paper than Troi ever was. I make the comparison cause they're both the weakest links on start up.

Bashir, what a fucking ass, easily the worst character on paper. I'm hoping he either gets Tasha-Yar'ed soon or gets some better writing for his character. I actually hope for the latter since I know Doran Martell is capable of fine acting.

Odo is a very interesting character, his very presence and role on DS9 is a stretch in the context of the world. The actor is excellent and the character seems to already show so many layers to look forward to.

Last but not least; Quark. Easily my favorite. Most entertaining to watch and best actor on the show, under a ton of make-up; he still managed to make this character shine beyond anything I would have expected from a Ferengi. There were never any odds that one of my favorite Star Trek characters ever could be a Ferengi, that dude made it happen.
There hasn't been a scene on DS9 with Quark present that he doesn't force me to stay fixated on him, he's never just there, never just waiting to say his line, so many little nuances and reactions. Quark is probably the most complete character on this shows, as in the most fully fleshed out and absorbed by his actor.

So much more I'd like to share about how TNG and DS9 have been since I last posted but I gotta run, will try to stop by again soon!
Always enjoy reading your ST posts.

Season 7 of TNG they'd just run totally out of ideas. There was no place else to go. When somebody in the writer's room says "I dunno, have we done Geordi's mom yet?" things are really bad. Factor in Data's mom, Troi's mom, Data's brother (again), Worf's brother, Crusher's Grandmother's candle, and Picard's son, and they're just grasping at straws. There are some good episodes, and the finale is as good as anything they ever did, but overall it's just weak.

DS9 hasn't even gotten started yet. The stuff with the Bajorans and the Maquis is very good, and the Klingons will be exciting soon enough, but it's still only in second gear.

Dax is going to come around soon. She's going to become one of the better main crew characters, and Terry Farrell is much better when Dax gains some confidence. When she goes off to whack a Klingon is her turning point. That's where she starts to find herself and gets better from there. Particularly once Worf shows up. 

I mentioned it to you in the past, but O'Brien's everyman character is unique in ST. Interesting to note that he's the only enlisted man in the crew.

The thing about DS9 is that it's the non-principles that make it great. Of the main crew, only Quark is a real standout. Ironically he's the most human of the cast. The stars of the show are the ancillary characters, of which Garak and Dukat are probably the only two you've come across yet. Don't know if she's shown up yet, but Winn Adami, godawful as she may be, is one of the real heroes of the cast.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline HOF

« Reply #4092 on: December 25, 2022, 07:40:07 PM »
I think Bashir gets better over time, especially once he stops hopelessly fawning over Dax and they develop the Bashir/O’Brien bromance. Kyra also significantly improved as the show went on I think. Towards the end of the show, I actually thought Dax kind of got a little tiring, as did the general over-emphasis on Klingons. They really did seem like a crutch for the show eventually (we’ll do something with Klingons because Klingons = action or something along those lines). That said, I do think adding Warf did seem to help round out the show a bit. Not all the Klingon stuff was bad, it just seemed to become a really heavy focus of the show in parts.

O’Brien is still my favorite DS9 character, but Odo, Quark, and Sisko are all great too. And Garak is definitely one of the better recurring characters as well.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4094 on: January 08, 2023, 04:59:10 PM »
This is shitty:

https://trekmovie.com/2023/01/04/supernatural-actress-kim-rhodes-was-rejected-as-tpol-on-star-trek-enterprise-for-wrong-body-type/
It was wrong to tell her. At the same time, regardless of how we each define it, I think the producers are allowed to seek out maximum sex appeal if that's what they're angling for. They saw what it did for VOY and were looking for the same thing. I don't think that's any big secret. And it probably worked to their advantage in the long run. 
E.F. Benson