Author Topic: Star Trek: Thread Space 9  (Read 270722 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: Star Trek: Thread Space 9
« Reply #4025 on: August 29, 2022, 01:13:42 PM »
After watching the first two episodes of Lower Decks and being mostly okay with it, I watched a few more.  The hyper-speed at which things happen and the overall tone is nuts.  It's Trek, but a really demented version of it.  I was hoping that either they'd tone down the craziness or I'd get more used to it (which would have the same effect), but I tried episode 5 today and just couldn't.  It's not quite "mocking" TNG, but certainly exploring a much less reverent take on TNG life.  Also, all the name-drops that I thought were mostly there to help establish that "this is real Trek, canon and everything" are getting kinda tiresome.  It's like they're trying too hard, when I'd be okay with it if they'd backed off a bit.  Or a lot.  Oh well, I tried it.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #4026 on: August 29, 2022, 01:55:20 PM »
Do what I did. Just watch all of the scenes with Q on Youtube and skip the rest. Like you I have no interest in the series, but putting a fitting end to the Q story was a damn fine thing to do. And it was nice for Picard to finally give him the appreciation he deserved.

I have no idea Q was in Season 2. But Season 1 was so frustrating and disappointing, I really don't want to even want to make the effort.

I'll just have to live in the past with Trek. Love my DS9, read all the sequel ("season 8") books, and I'll just be content with that. But this Picard thing stung. I expected so much better. I'm a damn good writer and editor and do it for a living, but I've never written for the screen. But I swear to God I could have written that first season of Picard WAY better. I mean, it was almost laughable that people got paid to come up with and execute such a clunky plot.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4027 on: August 29, 2022, 02:49:50 PM »
I know I'll have to finish watching season 2 (or at least I've decided to) at some point before season 3 comes out. But the idea of rewatching season 1 or even the few episodes I've already seen of season 2 just makes my dick shrivel.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4028 on: August 29, 2022, 03:46:34 PM »
I know I'll have to finish watching season 2 (or at least I've decided to) at some point before season 3 comes out. But the idea of rewatching season 1 or even the few episodes I've already seen of season 2 just makes my dick shrivel.

Lens flares do that I bet. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4029 on: August 30, 2022, 10:05:09 AM »
Do what I did. Just watch all of the scenes with Q on Youtube and skip the rest. Like you I have no interest in the series, but putting a fitting end to the Q story was a damn fine thing to do. And it was nice for Picard to finally give him the appreciation he deserved.

I've always hated Q, so, to me, the "appreciation he deserved" is what he got from Sisko.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4030 on: August 30, 2022, 12:14:26 PM »

I've always hated Q, so, to me, the "appreciation he deserved" is what he got from Sisko.
He made Picard a better person. JLP would probably be the first to admit that. Even when Q was being bothersome it was usually still in Picard's/humanity's best interest. When Q introduced the Borg, Picard's closing thought was that he might have done them a favor. A kick in their complacency, as he put it. He certainly did him a solid in Tapestry, giving him the benefit of perspective. Picard admitted a debt of gratitude. He pretty much saved the day in All Good Things. Without his intervention the anomaly wipes everything out. And yet Picard's initial reaction every time he saw Q was an exasperated "Oh, what do you want now?" From what I can tell Q's involvement in this last season of Picard was much of the same, teaching Picard a valuable lesson, but this time Picard recognized the fondness Q's shown in him. "Even gods have their favorites."
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

« Reply #4031 on: August 30, 2022, 12:29:27 PM »
What I've seen and read about season 2 of Picard, Q's purpose is whatever the plot wants it to be at any given moment. Apparently (and this is just based on reviews) his final stated purpose flies in the face of whatever he did prior.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4032 on: August 30, 2022, 01:00:45 PM »
What I've seen and read about season 2 of Picard, Q's purpose is whatever the plot wants it to be at any given moment. Apparently (and this is just based on reviews) his final stated purpose flies in the face of whatever he did prior.

This is true but also rings true to what El Barto said.

"Even gods have their favorites."
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4033 on: August 30, 2022, 02:45:44 PM »

He made Picard a better person. JLP would probably be the first to admit that. Even when Q was being bothersome it was usually still in Picard's/humanity's best interest. When Q introduced the Borg, Picard's closing thought was that he might have done them a favor. A kick in their complacency, as he put it. He certainly did him a solid in Tapestry, giving him the benefit of perspective. Picard admitted a debt of gratitude. He pretty much saved the day in All Good Things. Without his intervention the anomaly wipes everything out. And yet Picard's initial reaction every time he saw Q was an exasperated "Oh, what do you want now?" From what I can tell Q's involvement in this last season of Picard was much of the same, teaching Picard a valuable lesson, but this time Picard recognized the fondness Q's shown in him. "Even gods have their favorites."

Not disputing that, I just have a general dislike of nigh-omnipotent characters in general, and trickster-types in particular.

Online Adami

« Reply #4034 on: September 02, 2022, 12:05:37 PM »
Haven't posted much about my rewatch, but I am on season 5 of Voyager, season 7 of DS9 and I just watched Insurrection.

DS9 has been fantastic with a few misses, but god damn is it good. Voyager has been more misses, but I'm still really enjoying it despite that. Not nearly as good as DS9 or TNG, but a lot of good stuff. Insurrection was a re-write away from being a great movie, but still was mostly enjoyable.

That said, I did have one thought. Why does it take Vulcans so long to work their way up the rank system?

Tuvok is a lieutenant and he's been in Star Fleet since at least the Kirk days. Dude isn't an Admiral by now? I feel like a human character tends to go from Ensign to Captain within a few decades. Tuvok's been doing this for over 100 years and not even a commander yet? Same with Spock and any other Vulcan. Just seems odd.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4035 on: September 02, 2022, 03:24:05 PM »

Tuvok is a lieutenant and he's been in Star Fleet since at least the Kirk days. Dude isn't an Admiral by now? I feel like a human character tends to go from Ensign to Captain within a few decades. Tuvok's been doing this for over 100 years and not even a commander yet? Same with Spock and any other Vulcan. Just seems odd.

Good catch. Who knows. Tuvok was created for Voyager, was he not? So when they added him to the lineage going back to the Kirk days, there was no way to fix that now without an extensive backstory. I am sure someone has thought of it.

But speaking to your point in general, I don't think so. I mean, Spock went up pretty quick. He was...what, a Commander during the original series, and then he was Captain by the first feature film? Then eventually Admiral.

I just think it's just that characters get created using different races, and then they have to figure out a backstory.

p.s. DS9 for the mutha Fin WIN.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4036 on: September 02, 2022, 03:41:13 PM »
Haven't posted much about my rewatch, but I am on season 5 of Voyager, season 7 of DS9 and I just watched Insurrection.

DS9 has been fantastic with a few misses, but god damn is it good. Voyager has been more misses, but I'm still really enjoying it despite that. Not nearly as good as DS9 or TNG, but a lot of good stuff. Insurrection was a re-write away from being a great movie, but still was mostly enjoyable.

That said, I did have one thought. Why does it take Vulcans so long to work their way up the rank system?

Was it ever mentioned how long he was out of star fleet between serving on the Excelsior and serving later under Janeway? He mentioned there was a significant gap before he rejoined SF. We also don't know how long he was undercover with the Maquis. I suppose it's possible he spent a few years going full on Donnie Brasko on them. He also spent a very long time teaching at the academy (both Vulcan and Star Fleet), and it's certainly possible that rank won't advance as quickly. Suffice it to say, there's no way he was "doing this" for over 100 years. His time serving on a starship might have been fairly limited, and that's really the only reference we have.

Strangely, I just checked and in the very second episode he's wearing Lt. Cdr. pips. He doesn't get that promotion until 4 seasons later, though. In truth, Star Trek has always been really dodgy with regard to rank and rank insignia (Chief O'Brien being the most glaring example).
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

« Reply #4037 on: September 02, 2022, 03:55:43 PM »
All fair points. Though I guess I missed when he said he left starfleet for a number of years?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4038 on: September 02, 2022, 04:36:28 PM »
According to MA it was 50 years between his tour on Excelsior and his return to Star Fleet, where he had to re-complete academy training. That thing with Sulu must have really pissed him off. Sixteen years teaching at the academy. Four years stationed on Jupiter Station. By the time of Caretaker, when he was 107 years old, he'd actually spent very little of his life "in space."
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

« Reply #4039 on: September 02, 2022, 05:29:06 PM »
According to MA it was 50 years between his tour on Excelsior and his return to Star Fleet, where he had to re-complete academy training. That thing with Sulu must have really pissed him off. Sixteen years teaching at the academy. Four years stationed on Jupiter Station. By the time of Caretaker, when he was 107 years old, he'd actually spent very little of his life "in space."

I was not aware! That makes more sense.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4040 on: September 03, 2022, 01:09:25 AM »
First ep of LD season 3 was great, I thought. I'll be vague but there was a condiment-related joke that I fucking loved.  :lol
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #4041 on: September 06, 2022, 09:28:35 AM »
Yes, I  pretty much love LD but can't stand the Mariner character, it's the only drawback for me. REALLY looking forward to the crossover with SNW.

Online Adami

« Reply #4042 on: September 10, 2022, 09:11:52 AM »
On the part of my DS9 rewatch where a Bajoran looking Dukat keeps addressing Winn as Adami in a seductive tone, and it's deeply unsettling.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4043 on: September 10, 2022, 09:38:15 AM »
You're in a safe space, did you feel it move when he addressed her?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4044 on: September 10, 2022, 10:06:03 AM »
On the part of my DS9 rewatch where a Bajoran looking Dukat keeps addressing Winn as Adami in a seductive tone, and it's deeply unsettling.

After years of only knowing that name from here on DTF, to hear it spoken aloud in a different context was weird.  And it sure as hell didn't help that it was Dukat saying it, many times.  That guy was intense.

Both great characters, though, so there is that.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4045 on: September 10, 2022, 03:09:05 PM »

That's pretty cool.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #4046 on: September 13, 2022, 01:51:11 PM »
https://youtu.be/9o-QBUw8Rf0

If anybody still cares, here is a trailer for the final season of Picard.

Not holding my breath, but I kinda hope that they can finish on a high note. According to a YT comment there is also a new showrunner, so who knows...

But it's nice that the TNG crew gets one final Star Trek paycheck!

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4047 on: September 13, 2022, 02:00:13 PM »
Christ, Jeri Ryan looks even better now, gussied up and wearing the uniform. It makes no sense at all from anything other than an eye-candy standpoint, but I can live with that.
E.F. Benson

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4048 on: September 13, 2022, 03:56:43 PM »
Cautiously optimistic.  I too hope that they can go out on a high note.

Online Adami

« Reply #4049 on: September 13, 2022, 07:07:32 PM »
Cautiously optimistic.  I too hope that they can go out on a high note.

They have the cast and opportunity, but will they squander it? I just feel like they will.

Picard season 1 was atrocious. The few episodes I saw of season 2 were worse, from what I've read about the rest, they continued that trend. I just see no reason to assume it'll get better, though I suppose anything's possible. Trailer didn't do much though. People talking vaguely. Lots of explosions and tension. Picard and Riker having a drink and a "STAR SHIPS WOAH" Moment which is a cheap win. I'm not even convinced the whole crew will be together for more than a few minutes. They might go the Star Wars route and never really reunite everyone but only do it in groups. I dunno. This show has squandered every opportunity thus far and I will go in with an open mind but very very low expectations.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4050 on: September 13, 2022, 09:26:35 PM »
The episode in Season 1 where Picard visited Riker and Troi was one of the highlights of the season.  The characters had a natural chemistry, and the actors slipped right into it.  It really felt like a reunion, 20 years later or whatever it was supposed to be.

I've found the writing to be the weakest part of the series.  A lot of it really stretches tolerance, and a lot of it is just plain bad.  But I've found the acting and the characters to be mostly pretty decent.  A full-blown TNG reunion could be good.  And of course, I have to watch it, because if I don't and find out later that it actually was good, I'd be pissed at myself for not bothering, especially after sticking with it through the first two seasons.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4051 on: September 13, 2022, 10:26:55 PM »
They should have shown the cast in that trailer doing what they were famous for.  A shot of Ryker playing Trombone, Troi eating chocolate cake, Crusher worrying about Wes, Worf being beaten up and Geordi browsing space tinder.

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4052 on: September 14, 2022, 06:41:00 AM »
The trailer looks so promising, but this show so far has been a let down.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4053 on: September 21, 2022, 03:25:31 PM »

:rollin

Damn, unsettling doesn't do that justice. Revolting.

Still one of the best shows ever though.

www.roadstomadness.com

Online Adami

« Reply #4055 on: September 23, 2022, 08:37:41 PM »
RIP Adami.

Wait…..
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #4056 on: September 23, 2022, 09:06:09 PM »
I had no idea Kai Winn was an Oscar winner. I guess it makes sense as she was horribly masterful in DS9. God, I hate Kai Winn. It had everything to do with how she acted the role.

And thanks for the reminder of the whole Adami thing with Dukat. Yuck!
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4057 on: September 23, 2022, 10:05:45 PM »
Louise Fletcher was incredible.  I grew up with One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Next, and Nurse Ratched was the stuff of nightmares.  Similar to Kai Winn, but Kai Winn at least had something like a sympathetic side, and you knew that it was always genuine love for her people and her culture that drove.  Nurse Ratched was just plain evil.  I'm pretty sure we never got a sympathetic scene with her.

Online Adami

« Reply #4058 on: September 24, 2022, 11:36:40 AM »
Just finished DS9.

What a great finale. Just a tremendous show. I think I was more intrigued and impressed by Nana and Kira and her whole arc this time. But really, this was just a fantastic show.

Still have 2 seasons of Voyager left and then that awful Nemesis movie.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4059 on: September 24, 2022, 01:26:54 PM »
Watching some Winn Adami episodes today. Since I'm watching 12 hours a day of movies and tv shows a day, giving here the spotlight for a day seems appropriate.

She was really a complex character, and even watching early episodes where her ambition was on full display, you can still see elements of her loyalty to Bajor and the Prophets. She was ready to climb into bed with Jarro, but mostly because the two of them would bring about the orthodox Bajor she though was necessary. And when evidence was presented that the Kardies were behind the civil war, she turned on him PDQ. I'd always assumed it was a CYA thing on her part, but in fact I think she was really pissed off about it. As much as she loved Bajor and the prophets, she really hated the fucking Kardassians.
E.F. Benson