Author Topic: Star Trek: Thread Space 9  (Read 270694 times)

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
Re: Star Trek: Thread Space 9
« Reply #3955 on: July 07, 2022, 04:39:29 PM »
I think I like La'an. There's a lot to mine there if they can give it the space to be natural.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3956 on: July 07, 2022, 06:34:53 PM »
Excellent Season 1 Finale episode! Such a great show! Can’t wait for S2
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3957 on: July 07, 2022, 08:36:12 PM »
I kinda want to ding it because it fell back on time-travel/alternate-timeline shenanigans, but it was done really well.  So no harm, no foul.  Pretty good episode.

At some point early in the episode (before Spock's speech, which clinched it), I recognized that it was basically the TOS episode "Balance of Terror" in an alternate timeline, and from there it became a fun game of seeing what's the same, and what's different, and why.  That kept things interesting.  And then the ending, which nicely tied up a few things, and of course set some things up for the second season.

Also, Captain Batel reminded me a lot of one of my old girlfriends, a whole lot, and it was really distracting.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3958 on: July 08, 2022, 01:34:08 AM »
I think I like La'an. There's a lot to mine there if they can give it the space to be natural.

They gave her a decent role in the subplot in episode 5 that improves her a lot.  Still can't get onboard with the Doctor though, he speaks so low that I struggle with his dialog.  I quite like what I've seen of her so far, but Ortegas really needs a story or big moment at the minute she's very much a secondry character.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #3959 on: July 12, 2022, 03:18:22 PM »
La’an was awesome in that episode where she got to sing (The Elysian Kingdom).

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #3960 on: July 14, 2022, 03:58:15 PM »
Ep 6 was terrific. Felt exactly like classic Trek. Fully on board with this now.  :tup

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #3961 on: July 14, 2022, 05:38:16 PM »
Why did #1 get arrested? I watched 3 times and couldn't understand what they said and I refuse to watch with captions on.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3962 on: July 14, 2022, 05:41:08 PM »
Why did #1 get arrested? I watched 3 times and couldn't understand what they said and I refuse to watch with captions on.

She’s a genetically altered/enhanced  species and has been hiding it. Her species was banned from doing so but has been doing it anyway.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3963 on: July 14, 2022, 05:44:13 PM »
Federation officers cannot be genetically altered/enhanced.  So somewhere along the way, she must have forged or lied on some documents.  It's similar to breaking military law, but the consequences can be (civilian) jail or prison time.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3964 on: July 15, 2022, 06:14:05 AM »
Ep 6 was terrific. Felt exactly like classic Trek. Fully on board with this now.  :tup

Yeah I liked that one too. 

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3965 on: July 15, 2022, 06:15:09 AM »
Had a cool ending, I thought. Not sure it was a great finale, but was a cool episode.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3966 on: July 15, 2022, 07:15:45 AM »

Yeah I liked that one too.

Had a cool ending, I thought. Not sure it was a great finale, but was a cool episode.

There's a video of the side by side comparison of 'Balance of Terror' from the OT....pretty neat. Having never watched a single episode of the OT (I got into Trek with ANG) I wasn't aware of how much influence BOT had on this episode. It was all really well done.

https://gizmodo.com/star-trek-strange-new-worlds-finale-balance-of-terror-1849165568

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3967 on: July 15, 2022, 09:12:08 AM »
That video also highlights something I've said before.  The new Enterprise bridge is just the original one with lots of extra (and generally unnecessary) lights all over it.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3968 on: July 15, 2022, 09:23:38 AM »
There's a video of the side by side comparison of 'Balance of Terror' from the OT....pretty neat. Having never watched a single episode of the OT (I got into Trek with ANG) I wasn't aware of how much influence BOT had on this episode. It was all really well done.

https://gizmodo.com/star-trek-strange-new-worlds-finale-balance-of-terror-1849165568
Balance of Terror was wonderful. And it was largely a scene by scene retelling of The Enemy Below, with Shatner and Mark Leonard in the Mitchum and Curd Jurgens roles. Wonderful movie, too.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3969 on: July 28, 2022, 07:36:38 PM »
David Warner passed away  :'(
I've really been hoping to see Gul Madred again, but the article that I read upon Warner's death, mentioned he only appeared in Star Trek once.
Phenomenal actor, amazing role and a great episode.
RIP David Warner and bye bye Gul Madred, there are 4 lights, you dick!
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online Adami

« Reply #3970 on: July 28, 2022, 07:50:44 PM »
I've really been hoping to see Gul Madred again, but the article that I read upon Warner's death, mentioned he only appeared in Star Trek once.

He really was great in those episodes. Even more so since he was reading off cue cards since he was brought on late in the process.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3971 on: July 29, 2022, 08:46:45 AM »

He was also Chancellor Gorkon in Star Trek VI.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3972 on: July 29, 2022, 10:35:20 AM »
I saw an announcement that in season two of SNW there’s going to be a crossover episode with Lower Decks.

Count me in! I could not be happier! These are literally the two best Star Trek shows out there right now and I think it’s going to be awesome!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 07:23:42 PM by jammindude »
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3973 on: July 29, 2022, 05:01:00 PM »

He was also Chancellor Gorkon in Star Trek VI.

He was also the human ambassador in the idiotic ST V.

Worf's stepbrother passed the same day, though he was certainly better known as Big Paulie.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3974 on: July 31, 2022, 01:38:14 PM »
Reports coming out that Nichelle Nichols has passed away  :'(

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3975 on: July 31, 2022, 02:07:07 PM »
R.I.P. Lt. Uhura...on the day George Jetson is born, too.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #3976 on: July 31, 2022, 06:23:16 PM »
Bummer. 4 of the original main crew gone now.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3977 on: July 31, 2022, 06:51:43 PM »
She's told the story of how she met Martin Luther King during the show's run, and was surprised to find he was a fan of hers, and how he convinced her to stay with the show when she was considering leaving. He told her of the importance she had for the viewers, seeing a black woman as on officer on the bridge, even if she often didn't have much to do or say. Thank you for keeping the hailing frequencies open for us, Nichelle.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Harmony

« Reply #3978 on: August 01, 2022, 04:18:33 PM »
She's told the story of how she met Martin Luther King during the show's run, and was surprised to find he was a fan of hers, and how he convinced her to stay with the show when she was considering leaving. He told her of the importance she had for the viewers, seeing a black woman as on officer on the bridge, even if she often didn't have much to do or say. Thank you for keeping the hailing frequencies open for us, Nichelle.

:heart
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Online Adami

« Reply #3979 on: August 01, 2022, 04:27:24 PM »
I think she was a pretty unsung hero in pop culture. She did some really amazing work helping woman with NASA and inspiring women and people of color to be not only actors but scientists and astronauts.

Glad her suffering is over as well. RIP Nichelle.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3980 on: August 01, 2022, 05:57:28 PM »
We make fun of the elite, celebrity class and how they cannot relate to the rest of us. And then I watch something like this. And to augment Adami's point, when people say Star Trek is just a TV show, I wonder how many scientists, engineers, and doctors there are out there because of people like Nichelle and James Doohan.

James Doohan Discusses How He Helped A Suicidal Star Trek Fan
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #3981 on: August 02, 2022, 12:52:08 AM »
Sad to hear of Nichelle's passing. Rest easy.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #3982 on: August 02, 2022, 09:15:42 AM »
I'm an original series fan.  I watched every episode again from start to finish during the early days of the pandemic and enjoyed the hell out of it.  It truly was a show before its time in so many ways.  Watching it again I realized just how much it shaped how I thought about....well....everything.  I was very young when it first aired and don't remember much from the first time I saw the episodes but of course with reruns, they became ingrained in my brain.

Nichelle I think really normalized for me the notion that women and black people could/should hold jobs of power and importance and be a respected members of a team.  That is pretty heady stuff for a child in the late 60s/early 70s who grew up in a predominately white neighborhood and often saw evidence of the opposite in her real life.

I have so much respect for her and understanding now what kind of pressure she must have been under in that role, well...all I can feel is immense gratitude. 
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3983 on: August 02, 2022, 11:31:38 AM »
Born in 1962, I too grew up with original Star Trek, and it wasn't until many years later that I realized how much it shaped how I thought.  Our neighborhood was all newly-built homes in a "nice" middle-class suburb, and every family was white except for one Asian family (us), and one black family.  The Enterprise had an Asian guy at the helm and a black woman on comms, and everyone else was white, but that seemed about right.  I never once thought "Hey cool, we are represented!" because I instead thought that that was just the norm.  Amazing that decades later, something like equal representation is still fighting to become the norm.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #3984 on: August 02, 2022, 12:43:36 PM »
Watched ep 8 of SNW with the medieval costumes, alternative characters and M'Benga's daughter plot.

Some great acting there. Not Pike. He was hard to watch, tbh, but Spock, Ortegas, Chapel and La'An were great. La'an was also super-hot as the princess. :o They're a really good cast, as someone pointed out in this thread.

The episode was fun but not amazing. Terrific costumes. The M'Benga plot has been really interesting but felt like it lacked the gravity it could have. But then, it's a light, fun show, and a super-heavy mortality sledgehammer would not have fit.

I'm really impressed with the series and how fast it's gelled.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3985 on: August 02, 2022, 02:10:18 PM »
I didn't like that episode much, mainly because M'Benga is terrible, or should I say the actor is terrible, literally can't emote at all.  Also don't see the point of his daughters arc - it's over in 8 episodes?  Unless she returns I guess?  All seems a bit pointless.

If I being honest after a good start I've found the last 3 or so episodes a bit lackluster - need the final two episodes to get back on track.  Also what happened to Kirk's brother?  Seems to have disappeared!

And let's have an Ortegas heavy episode, she's the only cast member who hasn't had one yet!

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #3986 on: August 02, 2022, 04:12:35 PM »
Yeah, fingers crossed for a couple of banging episodes.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3987 on: August 03, 2022, 10:04:43 AM »
Yeah, fingers crossed for a couple of banging episodes.

I don't think they're going to go all Game of Thrones on us. 

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3988 on: August 03, 2022, 03:57:07 PM »
Ok so episode 9.....not good, basic alien rip off that also did the one modern Trek trope I hate (won't spoil it till doctoraction has watched it).

However oh God those last 10 seconds.....the timing for us UK viewers, well it hit like a truck.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #3989 on: August 03, 2022, 04:29:19 PM »
Watched it. Say it, Soupy.