Author Topic: Star Trek: Thread Space 9  (Read 270648 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Star Trek: Thread Space 9
« Reply #3045 on: February 02, 2021, 02:31:52 PM »
I'm not sure what they were thinking with the Enterprise turning up to a planet to rescue their crew - who are essentially being held hostage..

And Riker totally just goes off with the leader.

In many ways TNG is more dated than TOS.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #3046 on: February 02, 2021, 02:36:15 PM »
They're completely fine compared to

Code Of Honor

Justice ( Wesley crushes a flower )

Angel One

Those 3 are equally as awful. :biggrin: Really shows how bad the first season was..

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3047 on: February 02, 2021, 03:10:41 PM »
But there are some gold episodes in amongst all the bizarre sex talk episodes like " Where No One Has Gone Before ".

Honestly - imagine if Collins - Armstrong and Aldrin were on their way back from the moon and one of them says " Hey who likes plain old basic sex ? "

That would be weird AF right ? But 400 years from now on an interstellar cruise liner - officers talk like that to each other at the drop of a hat.

Yeesh.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #3048 on: February 02, 2021, 04:11:58 PM »
This is the crazy thing about Trek. It varies so much in tone and quality.

I read that Roddenberry was a nightmare to work with on season 1 of TNG. Not all he touched turned to gold.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3049 on: February 02, 2021, 04:51:54 PM »
They're completely fine compared to

Code Of Honor

Justice ( Wesley crushes a flower )

Angel One

Those are shite, but memorably shite - 'When the bough breaks' is unmemorably shite, it's a terrible lazy plot that is full of holes if you can be arsed to examine it - which you probably won't as it's so very boring.

Also 'Symbiosis' is has the single most awful character enchange in the history of Trek - when Wesley and Yar talk drugs!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3050 on: February 02, 2021, 05:24:04 PM »
Wes : why would anyone do the drugs ?

Denise Crosby looks right down the lens : Dunno - guess theyre just stupid Wil i mean Wes.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3051 on: February 03, 2021, 10:51:43 AM »
Started my TNG rewatch. Seems like I'll know how you guys feel when I keep calling Star Trek Discovery dumb. Fair play and all.

Anywho, I watched Encounter at Farpoint, Naked Now, and Code of Honor.

I gotta say, I don't get the hate for Farpoint. It's not very well executed, but the idea is pretty classic Trek I thought. The acting is pretty meh from most of the supporting cast and it has a lot of problems, but I still think the core of it is pretty good. And given the context....being a TV show in the mid 1980's that is a sequel to a 60's show, I can understand they didn't have a ton to work with at the beginning there. It's also why I don't allow those same considerations for Discovery or Picard. It's not the 1980's/1990's anymore. TV isn't where actors either go to die or when they aren't talented enough for movies. TV isn't just a silly past time that people watch on occasion. It's not filled with writers/directors that didn't have what it took to make it in the movies. So I hold the differences in quality to different standards given the time of it all.

The Naked Now......dumb, but with some fun moments. I liked a lot of the Picard/Beverly stuff, and Data was funny when he was all silly. But yea, aside from that a real stinker. I know Gene wanted to essentially reuse a ton of TOS scripts in TNG and take advantage of the higher budget, and I'm glad it mostly ended with this episode. What an awful, awful idea.

Now Code of Honor....that's a REAL heap of garbage. And apparently we're not alone in that. It seems the whole crew of TNG and even Roddenberry hated it and considered it extremely racist. Seems that was mostly the director's doing since he's the one who decided that the whole alien planet would be black and resembling colonial era African tribes. Script never asked for that. However, on top of being REALLY stupid and racist, it's also pretty sexist in a more overt way than a lot of the other stuff. I mean Troi and Yar have a little conversation about how good Yar felt when the big strong man wanted her. Eesh. Ah well, glad it's over with and we can get on to quality ST! Like Angel One and Justice!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #3052 on: February 03, 2021, 05:10:08 PM »
I think I was getting on my gf's nerves when we watched Justice.  Every scene where there's someone jogging...

"WHY ARE YOU RUNNING?"
"WHY THE HELL ARE YOU RUNNING?"
"WHAT ARE YOU RUNNING FROM?"
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3053 on: February 04, 2021, 02:17:37 AM »
^ reminds me when you see parents with Toddlers out and about . Toddlers simply cannot walk. They're constantly skipping all over the place.  ;D

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #3054 on: February 04, 2021, 01:46:34 PM »
Changed my mind. Just stopped halfway through ep 3 of Lower Decks. Fuggit. I'm nowhere near bored enough for that, even in lockdown.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #3055 on: February 06, 2021, 04:09:14 PM »
Have just watched all of the Expanse I feel quite a bit different about Discovery. They are totally different franchises but they really can and should up their game on Disco.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3056 on: February 08, 2021, 09:41:50 AM »
Been watching season 1 of TNG and it's not great. However, it does have some pretty good moments. Where No One Has Gone Before is a solid episode, very classic Trek in tone, but well executed and intriguing. I just finished the one where the Ferengi screw with Picard's head with his old ship. Not a bad episode actually. They made the Ferengi way less dumb and silly and gave them a bit more character, also Stewart's acting really sells it.

Now, when an episode like Justice is a bit more difficult. First off, it's a terrible episode, but I did think it had SOME points of merit that just didn't work in the final product. The philosophical discussions about the justice system and interfering with the prime directing COULD have been good, but sadly the script was just so terrible...SO terrible...and the acting was atrocious that none of the potential points of interest managed to help what is sadly an inexcusably awful episode.

Let's see how it keeps going!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3057 on: February 08, 2021, 06:24:56 PM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3058 on: February 17, 2021, 07:50:37 AM »
Been watching season 1 of TNG and it's not great. However, it does have some pretty good moments. Where No One Has Gone Before is a solid episode, very classic Trek in tone, but well executed and intriguing. I just finished the one where the Ferengi screw with Picard's head with his old ship. Not a bad episode actually. They made the Ferengi way less dumb and silly and gave them a bit more character, also Stewart's acting really sells it.

Now, when an episode like Justice is a bit more difficult. First off, it's a terrible episode, but I did think it had SOME points of merit that just didn't work in the final product. The philosophical discussions about the justice system and interfering with the prime directing COULD have been good, but sadly the script was just so terrible...SO terrible...and the acting was atrocious that none of the potential points of interest managed to help what is sadly an inexcusably awful episode.

Let's see how it keeps going!

I think the Season 1 episodes worth a look are - Encounter At Farpoint (simply because it's the introduction episode, it's not very good), Hide and Q, Datalore, 11001010, Heart of Glory (for the howling  ;D), The Arsenal of Freedom, Skin of Evil and Conspiracy...............the rest mostly range from forgettable to terrible. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3059 on: February 17, 2021, 08:49:03 PM »
Seems it flew under the news radar a bit, and didn't see it mentioned here... not sure if worthy of its own thread. Christopher Plummer passed away. Congrats on a stellar career.

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3060 on: February 18, 2021, 09:55:58 AM »
Seems it flew under the news radar a bit, and didn't see it mentioned here... not sure if worthy of its own thread. Christopher Plummer passed away. Congrats on a stellar career.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3061 on: February 19, 2021, 07:50:33 AM »
Finished Lower Decks last night - and despite it being choc full of references and in jokes - it was actually so much fun. :)

The final 2 episodes in particular are just pure entertainment.

Dare I say it - the best first season of a Trek show of the Kurtzman era ?

Even though it's only 10 episodes. I'm definitely up for more !

" Oh man I love the TOS era ! "

" What's TOS ? "

" Oh that's what I call the kirk and spock era - Those Old Scientists "

:p if you can get on board with those kind of 4th wall breaking jokes and references to classic trek.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #3062 on: February 19, 2021, 02:21:11 PM »
Apparently the writers... Borrowed... A bunch of the memes and jokes in the show from the Star Trek Shitpost group on Facebook. They (the FB group) are mighty proud of that fact.

So I just watched S4E2 of DS9. The Visitor. Really well done. I don't remember ever seeing it before now. It did kind of kick me in the gut a little, since my father died when I was 18.

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3063 on: February 19, 2021, 04:47:40 PM »
Lower Decks reminded me of Futurama,...............if you replaced it's writers with the ones who wrote The Big Bang Theory.  Absolute shite.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3064 on: February 19, 2021, 04:49:22 PM »
What a shock - pure hatred in a Star Trek thread  ;D

It's nowhere near Big Bang theory levels of awful.

TBBT is literally

" Hello "

" Hello "

Laugh track  : HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3065 on: February 19, 2021, 04:55:24 PM »
What a shock - pure hatred in a Star Trek thread  ;D

It's nowhere near Big Bang theory levels of awful.

TBBT is literally

" Hello "

" Hello "

Laugh track  : HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA

Which is pretty much on the level of that TOS joke you quoted....purely refering things is not a joke, that's very much BBT style humour. 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3066 on: February 19, 2021, 05:01:05 PM »
Meh it was one moment in one episode. TBBT is ONLY shit like that.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3067 on: February 19, 2021, 05:14:15 PM »
Lower Decks could have been a charming addition to Trek, if they'd  actually attempted to make an actual animated Trek show.  Instead they made a animated show with all the trapping of all the bad modern animated shows - zany characters who shout over one another, and then claimed it to be a Trek show simply by throwing in lazy references.
It didn't need to be a comedy and just because it's animated doesn't mean you have to use looney tunes physics - use actual proper physics FFS.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3068 on: February 19, 2021, 05:16:42 PM »
Whatever. It's a cartoon. I enjoyed it. :dunno:

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3069 on: February 19, 2021, 10:34:50 PM »
So I just watched S4E2 of DS9. The Visitor. Really well done. I don't remember ever seeing it before now. It did kind of kick me in the gut a little, since my father died when I was 18.
The Visitor isn't my favorite episode, it's a little too heavy to just randomly throw on, but it probably is the single best thing they did. The first time I saw that it was more than a little kick to the gut. Tony Todd was great and Avery Brooks, surprisingly, nailed it.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #3070 on: February 20, 2021, 12:41:28 AM »
I have been watching Enterprise for the first time since I was a kid, and I have made it to season 3!

The shift in tone from season 2 to 3 is so extreme! :lol Season 1 and 2 felt like they were riffing of the 90's Trek shows, only nowhere near as good. Season 3 not only shifts to a more continuous storyline, but also feels a lot more edgy.

In the first few episodes we've encountered Vulcan zombies, sex slaves, and cutthroat space pirates. Archer has almost tortured a guy to death, which took me completely by surprise. I did not remember that at all.

I have enjoyed a couple of episodes here and there, and some of the characters seem to be progressing into something interesting. I quite like Phlox, and he's season 2 episode, where he treats injuries of a mortal enemy of the Denobulans was good. Archer still feels like a douchebag. Not all the time, but a lot of the time.

I'm going to soldier on, The Xindi arc of season 3 feels somewhat interesting so far!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3071 on: February 20, 2021, 04:33:32 AM »
Season 4 of ENT is a LOT of Fan Service.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3072 on: February 22, 2021, 03:53:54 PM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3073 on: February 22, 2021, 10:59:03 PM »
At first glance I thought that was Long Duk Dong and his statuesque girlfriend, and my first thought was I wonder how many people here would get it. Then I realized that I didn't get it either. Revenge of the Nerds?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3074 on: February 22, 2021, 11:18:49 PM »
It's from a Police Academy film - although I'm not sure which one, at a guess I'd say 3 or 4.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #3075 on: February 23, 2021, 01:18:59 AM »
It's from a Police Academy film - although I'm not sure which one, at a guess I'd say 3 or 4.

Police Academy 3, if I'm not mistaken!

Best Police Academy IMO, along with the original.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3076 on: February 23, 2021, 07:09:06 AM »
That's Officer Callahan.  She carries 3 guns.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3077 on: February 23, 2021, 07:41:37 AM »
Several of the Police Academy regulars have died now. So a long planned 8th film probably won't happen.

Hightower. Tackleberry. Lassard. Hooks.

(also because i'm kotoboy or something - inb4 someone tells me that "four people is not several lol")

Edit : Also Red Letter Media said that in Film School - they used the Police Academy series as an example of a franchise that makes less and less money with each iteration

then when it no longer makes a profit (7) - they stop.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 07:48:52 AM by Kotowboy »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3078 on: March 03, 2021, 09:48:48 PM »

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3079 on: March 03, 2021, 10:16:52 PM »
Several of the Police Academy regulars have died now. So a long planned 8th film probably won't happen.

Hightower. Tackleberry. Lassard. Hooks.

(also because i'm kotoboy or something - inb4 someone tells me that "four people is not several lol")

Edit : Also Red Letter Media said that in Film School - they used the Police Academy series as an example of a franchise that makes less and less money with each iteration

then when it no longer makes a profit (7) - they stop.

there is this coming out, likely later this year.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8362848/?ref_=nm_flmg_prd_6