Author Topic: Star Trek: Thread Space 9  (Read 270663 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Star Trek: Thread Space 9
« Reply #2940 on: January 09, 2021, 03:30:47 AM »
RE : Everyone having a line to give actors something to say... They frequently did that in Conference Room scenes in TNG too.

It would start with Picard then would literally go around the table until every character said one line.

I guess it's ok when it's "proper" Star Trek though...

There was a rumour that this season would kill off another bridge officer - and I was really hoping it would be Tilly. FAR more annoying than Wes Crusher ever was...

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2941 on: January 09, 2021, 06:58:14 AM »
I really liked Tilly the first season and my opinion has slowly changed to where I really don't care to ever see her on screen. I wouldn't say she is Crusher bad, but she is heading there.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2942 on: January 09, 2021, 07:20:06 AM »
RE : Everyone having a line to give actors something to say... They frequently did that in Conference Room scenes in TNG too.

It would start with Picard then would literally go around the table until every character said one line.

I guess it's ok when it's "proper" Star Trek though...

In TNG they were generally lines written for the character, or played to the characters traits - like Worf wanting to take an aggressive action, Data doing the pecentages of success etc.   In Voyager they just wrote lines and just dished them out, that's what that scene in the Finale of Disco instantly reminded me off.

I'm not into what is and isn't real Trek.   There is good and bad whichever the period, but generally the good outweights the bad and while I've been a critic of Disco 3 - I thought Season 2 was great, and I appear to be about the only person who enjoyed Picard  ;D  And as disapointed as I ended up feeling about Season 3 I'd still rather rewatch it than rewatch any season of Voyager or Enterprise!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2943 on: January 09, 2021, 09:10:55 AM »
All Three Seasons of Disco

Season One of Picard

Season One of TNG

----

And yeah - TNG didn't really get really good until at least S3 - which is about 50 episodes worth. Disc is currently on about 45 episodes in if you add in the Short Treks too.

I have high hopes for S4 now that the shackles of S1 & S2 are off and now that they're completely free of canon.

S3 of DSC should have been where S1 started. I feel like they're just getting started.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2944 on: January 09, 2021, 11:15:40 AM »
Yeah, it's still early days. I look forward to more. (Will be watching more of The Expanse until then)

I think they'd be better off having longer seasons and doing more of that episodic feel. I'd be happy seeing them do some straight adventure eps, some moral dilemma eps, some arc eps sprinkled across it all. Would all help build characters and they wouldn't have to try to so hard when doing something emotive.

My only major criticism of Disco so far are two:

1. Scenes like the ones after Philippa and Airium (sp?) died were just bollocks. We didn't feel anything like that for those characters. There was no reason for most of the crew to give many fucks about Georgiou. The tone was completely inappropriate and annoying.

2. This one is related, we really don't need to see Michael whispering and crying any more. I wish they'd give it a rest. We can see her being great in a different way now. Stop being so fucking earnest!

While watching the finale I was again reminded of how great a few of the cast are:

Hugh - he can can say two words and it sounds and feels totally convincing and meaningful. I love him.
Saru - no surprise here but he's wonderful.
Admiral Vance is super watchable and has some of that serious, fatherly quality that a senior officer needs.
Reno - the more the merrier.

In summary, I still like it and am happy it's being made.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2945 on: January 09, 2021, 12:32:32 PM »
I hear that Strange New Worlds will be really tonally brighter and episodic - basically like a modern day TOS.

I cannot wait for that. I really enjoyed Ethan as Spock and Anson was perfect as Pike.

Plus we get to see that beautiful updated Enterprise every week.

Which in my view - is a way nicer design than the 1966 OG one.

----

I didn't enjoy Emperor G as a character so i'm glad she's gone to wherever she's gone. And Tilly is annoying as fuck. Apart from that I don't dislike any of the main crew.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2946 on: January 09, 2021, 01:26:28 PM »
I hear that Strange New Worlds will be really tonally brighter and episodic - basically like a modern day TOS.

I cannot wait for that. I really enjoyed Ethan as Spock and Anson was perfect as Pike.

Plus we get to see that beautiful updated Enterprise every week.

Which in my view - is a way nicer design than the 1966 OG one.

----

I didn't enjoy Emperor G as a character so i'm glad she's gone to wherever she's gone. And Tilly is annoying as fuck. Apart from that I don't dislike any of the main crew.

Yeah, that Enterprise was amazing, as were Pike and Spock. High hopes for SNW.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2947 on: January 11, 2021, 03:03:26 PM »
I’m watching The Most Toys again. It occurred to me that whenever they talk to someone on

the viewer - and we the audience know they’re lying; Troi is conveniently not there

to tell Picard they’re full of s💩t.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2948 on: January 11, 2021, 03:41:25 PM »
I’m watching The Most Toys again. It occurred to me that whenever they talk to someone on

the viewer - and we the audience know they’re lying; Troi is conveniently not there

to tell Picard they’re full of s💩t.
I never thought about it before, but I suppose that is a plot necessity. I wonder how many times they've shot a scene, only to realize that her presence ruins the entire story, and then had to re-do it after sending her off to craft services. It must have happened before.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2949 on: January 12, 2021, 10:24:34 AM »

Admiral Vance is super watchable and has some of that serious, fatherly quality that a senior officer needs.

But to be a proper Starfleet Admiral, he needs to be way more of a dick.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2950 on: January 12, 2021, 10:30:46 AM »
So continuing my rewatch, tackled Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home.

I put this off because, as I think I said, I wanted to use this movie to introduce my lady to Star Trek. I picked it because it's a bit more fun, less serious sci-fi stuff, and just an overall good enjoyable movie. She gets the first 1/3 which is traditional Trek, then a movie that features fantastic character work and core elements of Star Trek philosophy in a more easy to swallow pill. She loved it.

And I love it! It's a Star Trek movie without a single big space battle. I think, and I might be wrong, the only time a phaser is fired is when Kirk needs to lock a door in the hospital. I don't think they had any other fighting going on, minus possibly Chekov trying to escape the naval ship.

But yea, we all know it's a great movie. So I won't spend a ton of time on it, but I just enjoyed every minute of it. Some dumb moments? Sure. Some plot holes? Obviously. But the movie worked so well that you can look past this stuff.

Next up is Star Trek V: The Final Frontier. I know this movie gets a bad rep, but I remember liking most of it until the last act. Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly. Either way, hopefully I'll get to it this week.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2951 on: January 12, 2021, 10:59:16 AM »
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home is a fun movie, and one of my faves.  It's also the movie the needed to happen after Star Trek III: The Search for Spock, which wasn't horrible, but which many people had issues with (myself included).  II-III-IV form a trilogy, as III and IV each follow up directly on the previous movie, and as in traditional trilogy form, the middle one is the "dark" one, set up by the first one, and the final one is the big happy ending.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2952 on: January 12, 2021, 11:30:37 AM »
All that, plus it's got "double dumbass on you!"
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Adami

« Reply #2953 on: January 12, 2021, 11:31:46 AM »
All that, plus it's got "double dumbass on you!"

The hell it does!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2954 on: January 12, 2021, 01:12:40 PM »

And I love it! It's a Star Trek movie without a single big space battle. I think, and I might be wrong, the only time a phaser is fired is when Kirk needs to lock a door in the hospital. I don't think they had any other fighting going on, minus possibly Chekov trying to escape the naval ship.

Fun Fact : In Star trek into Darkness - the Enterprise doesn't fire once in the entire film.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2955 on: January 13, 2021, 01:09:38 AM »
The broader generally more fun versions of the crew we see on Voyage Home are the ones we see in the JJ movies. 

Offline Adami

« Reply #2956 on: January 13, 2021, 06:46:14 AM »
The broader generally more fun versions of the crew we see on Voyage Home are the ones we see in the JJ movies.

No.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2957 on: January 13, 2021, 08:40:27 AM »

No.

Yes.

It's good to be disagreeing again, I feel we've been agreeing way to much recently  ;D

Offline Adami

« Reply #2958 on: January 13, 2021, 08:42:15 AM »

No.

Yes.

It's good to be disagreeing again, I feel we've been agreeing way to much recently  ;D

:heart
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2959 on: January 13, 2021, 08:53:38 AM »
I just thought it was interesting that Enterprise never fired a single phaser or torpedo in the entire film.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2960 on: January 13, 2021, 09:17:20 AM »
So I re-watched the Star Trek Enterprise Season 3 Augments three parter last night.

Not a bad story. Brent Spiner only has two settings. Data ; Literally every other character he does.

He's so limited as an actor. Every character he plays who isn't normal Data - has the exact same whiny voice. That same scoffing snort after every line. The same mannerisms etc.

Brackish Okun from Independence Day may as well be Lore or Noonien Soong.

Speaking of Noonien - The three parter does lean on TWOK a bit - even mentioning Khan in one scene and evoking the scene from Reliant where a dying Khan is crawling on the floor

and having a doomsday weapon which would kill all life on a planet.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2961 on: January 13, 2021, 04:28:47 PM »
The Voyage Home sucks hairy Klingon balls. But it's better than STIII:TSFS. Any of the reboot films kick it's lame, hammy arse.  :)

Agree about Spiner. I believe he is also partial to a Klingon testicle too.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2962 on: January 14, 2021, 10:21:28 AM »
The Voyage Home is GREAT.

In other news - the actress who plays Sylvia Tilly has revealed she is queer *** despite being married to the actor who played Andorian Ryn on the show. I always thought queer was a pejorative word.

Although Michael Stipe says he prefers being called queer and not Gay. I guess some people don't like it and others don't mind it ?

*** - her words

Offline Adami

« Reply #2963 on: January 14, 2021, 10:24:16 AM »

In other news - the actress who plays Sylvia Tilly has revealed she is queer *** despite being married to the actor who played Andorian Ryn on the show. I always thought queer was a pejorative word.

Although Michael Stipe says he prefers being called queer and not Gay. I guess some people don't like it and others don't mind it ?

*** - her words

Queer people usually are fine calling themselves queer. It’s also an insult when used as one. But queer doesn’t mean gay, so she can still be married to a guy.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2964 on: January 14, 2021, 10:31:35 AM »

*** - her words
LGBTQ?  I think it's one of those things that's been "reclaimed."
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2965 on: January 14, 2021, 10:54:18 AM »
Yes. When I was growing up - Queer only ever had a negative connotation.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #2966 on: January 14, 2021, 11:13:06 AM »
Of course I am late but have you all checked out Star Trek Fan Films. They can be a loot of fun!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_fan_productions

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2967 on: January 14, 2021, 11:14:54 AM »
We don't talk about Axanar and Alec P*ters. ;)

He's the sole reason Star trek Continues had to stop.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2968 on: January 14, 2021, 12:33:15 PM »
Of course I am late but have you all checked out Star Trek Fan Films. They can be a loot of fun!

For the series, New Voyages never worked for me. I give them credit for what they accomplished, but neither the stories nor the acting were sufficient. Continues was actually perfectly decent. It looked alright, the stories were better, and the acting was a bit better. You could actually watch Kirk and Spock play chess and appreciate it for what it represented. The movies were always just terrible looking. Even nowadays, when they can shoot a great looking movie in their garage with iPhones, they still look terrible. And then there's Axanar, which suffered the exact opposite problem. It looked too good, thus creating an entirely different set of problems.

I have the same issue with all of them, though. All too often they rely on callbacks, and cameos from B players in the original series. And all of the B players are admirals now. Continues worked pretty well with original stories. At the same time they get Apollo to come back and basically re-do his episode, and it's pretty weak. The movies seemed to suffer even more from this, as you can't get it started unless you've got Tuvok, Admiral Rand, and Sulu's great granddaughter involved.
E.F. Benson

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #2969 on: January 14, 2021, 01:01:59 PM »

For the series, New Voyages never worked for me. I give them credit for what they accomplished, but neither the stories nor the acting were sufficient. Continues was actually perfectly decent. It looked alright, the stories were better, and the acting was a bit better. You could actually watch Kirk and Spock play chess and appreciate it for what it represented. The movies were always just terrible looking. Even nowadays, when they can shoot a great looking movie in their garage with iPhones, they still look terrible. And then there's Axanar, which suffered the exact opposite problem. It looked too good, thus creating an entirely different set of problems.

I have the same issue with all of them, though. All too often they rely on callbacks, and cameos from B players in the original series. And all of the B players are admirals now. Continues worked pretty well with original stories. At the same time they get Apollo to come back and basically re-do his episode, and it's pretty weak. The movies seemed to suffer even more from this, as you can't get it started unless you've got Tuvok, Admiral Rand, and Sulu's great granddaughter involved.

I treat them like I treat Godzilla flicks, just plain fun. The coolest thing is how they are backed by the studio providing certain special effects, soundtracks etc... Yes some of the acting is atrocious but so was some of the acting in the old Godzilla flicks. I still love them to this day!  :hat

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2970 on: January 14, 2021, 09:34:28 PM »
Voyage Home is great. Fun, exciting, adventurous, humorous without being silly (ok, there is a little silliness - that scene with the punk on the bus, and the "do you guys like Italian?" are just in line with classic Trek humor). Amazing scene with Spock and Sarek at the end. "Do you have a message for your mother?" "Yes... tell her I feel fine."

People always cite Ferris as one of his [Matthew Broderick's] good performances. And then can't name another.

One of my favorite 80s movies, then, and now: WarGames. I am not a Ferris Bueller fan. I somehow missed it and only saw it much later, when it just felt like one of those silly 80s movies. To me, WarGames is the quintessential Broderick performance.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2971 on: January 14, 2021, 09:58:42 PM »

One of my favorite 80s movies, then, and now: WarGames. I am not a Ferris Bueller fan. I somehow missed it and only saw it much later, when it just felt like one of those silly 80s movies. To me, WarGames is the quintessential Broderick performance.
Not surprising that I think this is exactly right. I don't dislike FB, but I do think it's a bit overrated. Wargames is what I think of when Broderick comes up. To this day I still offer to piss on spark plugs for people when things are going wrong, but nobody's taken me up on it yet.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2972 on: January 14, 2021, 11:04:26 PM »
In my all-time rankings of military officers/NCOs in film, Beringer is my favorite General.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2973 on: January 15, 2021, 08:16:52 AM »
In my all-time rankings of military officers/NCOs in film, Beringer is my favorite General.
Don't know if you're into Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul (you should be), but I just discovered last night that General Berringer (or Uncle Bob, if you're a few years older) played the rancher being evicted by Kim's client. They made him so old an haggard he was unrecognizable, though in retrospect the voice probably should have been a dead giveaway. He was only in three episodes, but he was great.

E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2974 on: January 15, 2021, 09:53:02 AM »
Has Bill Shatner ever been in a Star trek Fan film as Admiral Kirk ?

I feel like this is 100% on brand for Shatner to do...

Shatner seems to be all " I have done more than just Star Trek YOU KNOW..."

But at the same time " HEY REMEMBER WHEN I WAS CAPTAIN KIRK ? " when he wants the attention and money.