Author Topic: Star Trek: Thread Space 9  (Read 277576 times)

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
Re: Star Trek: Thread Space 9
« Reply #2730 on: November 20, 2020, 03:54:06 PM »
Did not like it.

Called it! 
To be honest I wasn't overly keen on this one either.

Certainly looked the part, but I didn't find it overly engaging.

Burnham doing twatish Burnham things...
Saru made to look weak...
That weird spinning camera lingering kiss...
And the transport joke was mildly amusing once, didn't need repeating 4 times...

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2731 on: November 20, 2020, 03:55:25 PM »
Did not like it.

Called it! 

And the transport joke was mildly amusing once, didn't need repeating 4 times...

To be fair, I also didn't hate it. I kind of....nothing it. It just did absolutely nothing for me, but I could recognize that for a dumb action thing, it was mostly well done. So I didn't like it....really at all....and I didn't hate it. It's just there and I'm happy to basically forget it eventually.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2732 on: November 20, 2020, 04:05:13 PM »
It wasn't the best. Was nice to look at.

Good to see Book again and I still really like the Starfleet guy.

The shot with Book's ship coming apart and rejoining was cool.

Not sure how I feel about detached nacelles.

Michelle Yeoh was the best she'd been this time.

Really glad they're in the future and creating canon.

Forgettable, generally.

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #2733 on: November 21, 2020, 01:21:25 AM »
Worst episode of the season by far.

Story just went nowhere, and it was just spinning it's wheels. To be fair, it deepened the mystery around Philippa, but not much else.

Burnham really deserved to get that demotion! At least in that one Voyager episode, Chakotay left on a rogue mission because he didn't want to endanger the crew in a possible fight against The Kazon. Burnham left for her own selfish reasons.

I dug the Discovery retrofit though! I'm waiting for a technobabble explanation for the detached nacelles though.

It looks like they might be traveling to Vulcan in the next episode, so hopefully the story will pick up again!

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2734 on: November 21, 2020, 06:42:06 AM »
Did not like it.

Called it! 

This was probably my least favorite of the season and I think what did it for me was Michael telling Saru he did the right thing demoting her. She is written to be smartest person in the room at all times and consequences don't ever stick. I don't know why that line bothered me as much as it did.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2735 on: November 21, 2020, 06:45:04 AM »
It was a bit of a filler episode like Point of Light from S2.

They have about 6 episodes left to wrap up everything from this season. What is the burn. What's going on with Giorgiou? What's the piece of music everyone seems to know etc.

Offline Adami

« Reply #2736 on: November 24, 2020, 08:03:02 AM »
So, after a very slow and spread out re-watch (and in some cases, first time watching) I finished ToS yesterday.

I'm gonna be honest, better than I expected. Even the "bad" episodes (or some of them) had rather intriguing premises that often had some bad execution problems. That is one thing I really miss about Star Trek; being the intriguing premises. Like the planet that was about to die so they sent their surviving population to random periods in their history in order to survive. That was fascinating, even if the actual execution was very mediocre at best. I just remember thinking how cool of an idea that is. Or the planet that has essentially defeated death and is now looking desperately for a disease that can bring mortality back. Not the best execution, but a fantastic concept. I wish Star Trek was still about this, instead of generic mystery chasing, explosion causing, fighting action series set in space. I miss thinking about this stuff. I miss being challenged in some way. I miss the Trek (both physical and philosophical) that it used to have.

Definitely a lot of problems with ToS though. I can't hold the low low....LOW...budget against them, since they had no choice, but there were other things. Some really really shoddy acting, but mostly things like the treatment of women. EVERY woman has to be scantily clothed? One was literally living in an ice age and was barely wearing anything. Every woman is treated as a Siren who is able to cast a spell over men that have no control over how they act around her. Essentially the Enterprise is filled 100 sailors who have been at sea for 5 years and are eager to rape the first set of tits that they see. Just got annoying. Also the idea of the ultra beautiful (and scantily clothed) female who works with the bad guy but ultimately betrays him because she fell deeply in love with Kirk after 10 minutes. It just happened SO often that it became annoying.

But beyond that stuff, I really enjoyed it. Next week or so I'll star The Motion Picture and work through the movies before starting TNG. In fact, I'll even watch the first 10 or whatever minutes of Generations, to fully finish ToS crew and then finish the movie after TNG.

I couldn't write my thoughts on every, or even most ToS episodes, just like I won't with the other shows, but I'll probably share more about the movies since they're a bit easier to do.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #2737 on: November 27, 2020, 02:05:47 AM »
Holy s***, what a bombshell episode of Discovery! :metal

Won't spoil anything, until more people have seen it.

But, I'll say this: Way to go Tilly!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2738 on: November 27, 2020, 02:57:05 AM »
I fucking HATE Tilly as a character.

That scene at the end where they all say YES is like - oh look a room full of people who deserve to be [SPOILER] more than her...

We need to see more of Rhys, Bryce and Nilsson. hate how every episode is the Burnham and Tilly show.

- That said it was a VERY Next Gen episode. S3 is easily the best season of Discovery so far

and it kinda makes you wonder how the hell PICARD was so awful.

But then again - all ST shows are pretty crap in S1 - just look at TNG. I'm sure PICARD S2 will be better.

Especially since they had so many complaints about the darkness and violence in S1.

---

Each Series of Discovery has been better than the previous one so far. If they keep this up - DSC may go down as a classic Trek show.

I fail to see how even Red Letter Media could hate the last few episodes. They're way more TNG.

I just picture them sitting , watching with a notepad headed " REASONS WHY STD SUCX !!!!! " and only looking for negatives.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2739 on: November 27, 2020, 03:07:34 AM »
Also - they go to Vulcan in the new episode.

Hmmm. Almost as if Discovery is NOT in the Kelvin Universe as the gatekeepers love to say.  :laugh:

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2740 on: November 27, 2020, 09:43:19 AM »
S3 is easily the best season of Discovery so far

I'm on the fence right now.  I think currently I'd put Season 2 over what I've seen of Season 3 - but I genuinely really liked Season 2 and Season 3 have been nearly as good - and could overtake it depending on the quality of the remaining episode. 

I don't get the 'Picard' hate.....that show did in 45 minutes what TNG failed to do in it's entire 178 episode run - making Troi seem like a real character!

//Haven't watched the latest Disco yet.

The only new Trek (inc the JJ films) i'm not keen on is Lower Decks - I bailed after 4 episodes, just wasn't my thing at all.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2741 on: November 27, 2020, 01:15:20 PM »
Nepenthe was easily the best episode of Picard. I was so scared they'd just kill off Kestra.

1. They seemed to kill off a character every week and I was really worried.

2. She was named after Deannas sister who died when she was young - so it would have been double heartbreaking. ***

Thankfully she lived.

I thought Picard was shit in the middle but good at the start and very end. The Camp Farce Fancy Dress episode was worse than Threshold.

Don't @ me.

---------

*** I just rewatched Dark Page for the first time in years. I love Lwaxana as a character. Majel is a fantastic actress and she was amazing in that episode.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2742 on: November 27, 2020, 02:50:01 PM »
Yeah, very good. Liked the premise and the execution.

I really like Tilly but there's no way she's right for [spoiler] except for as a moral compass. And that scene was totally eye-rolly.

I do wish we could have an episode where Micheal doesn't whisper meaningfully and cry.

But this season continues to be good. Agree we need to see more of the rest of the crew, though.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2743 on: November 27, 2020, 03:11:40 PM »
Yeah I did notice how much Burnham was whispering dramatically.

Are they going after the AMSR crowd ?  ;D

It reminds me of modern day Doctor Who - where every episode seemed to end in a tearful confession or denouement.

It's like - you don't have to do that EVERY week ffs.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2744 on: November 27, 2020, 03:46:38 PM »

Yeah I did notice how much Burnham was whispering dramatically.

Are they going after the AMSR crowd ?  ;D

It reminds me of modern day Doctor Who - where every episode seemed to end in a tearful confession or denouement.

It's like - you don't have to do that EVERY week ffs.
)

Yeah. I'm not slagging it but I'm wondering whether it will start to miss a strong Captain character. (But not as badly as Picard did  ;D )

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2745 on: November 27, 2020, 05:44:42 PM »
I'm not one of those Trek fans who are like "  :angry: THIS IS NOT TNG ! ERGO ITS NOT CANON AND ITS ALT UNIVERSE SO I DONT HAVE TO ACKNOWLEDGE IT !!! "

I wasn't expecting nor hoping PICARD to be TNG Season 8.

But after watching it - I wish it was. It was a MESS.

I really hope they do a BIG 180 for S2 and make it a lot more like Discovery S3.

-----

Them going to Vulcan ( Ni'Var ) in DSC S3 E7 seemed to be like them saying " SEE VULCAN STILL EXISTS ITS NOT KELVIN UNIVERSE "

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2746 on: November 28, 2020, 12:09:28 AM »
Same Kelvin universe, just not the altered timeline. It's necessarily the alternative universe that Abrams began because it legally has to be. It's just not the timeline mucked up by that awful Romulan idiot, which is why they refer to it as the prime universe.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #2747 on: November 28, 2020, 12:22:38 AM »
i gotta say, I'm rooting for Tilly in her new [Spoiler] position on Discovery. To me, it felt a bit like Nog, who got he's big break in Starfleet in that one S3 episode of DS9.

I just hope they stop treating her like a Neelix- level "comic" relief, and start shaping her into a more interesting character. :lol

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2748 on: November 28, 2020, 12:56:22 AM »
i gotta say, I'm rooting for Tilly in her new [Spoiler] position on Discovery. To me, it felt a bit like Nog, who got he's big break in Starfleet in that one S3 episode of DS9.

I just hope they stop treating her like a Neelix- level "comic" relief, and start shaping her into a more interesting character. :lol

That's a good thought. She's an excellent actress. I love the cast in general.

Offline Adami

« Reply #2749 on: November 28, 2020, 08:43:26 AM »
Meh.

Not very good, but not the worst of the season by far.

Still pretty dumb all in all.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2750 on: December 01, 2020, 10:49:48 AM »
Watched the latest episode - was OK.  Bit disappointed how one dimensional it's becoming - go somewhere (Earth, Trill Planet, Star Fleet head quarters, Vulcan) meet with suspicion but ultimately win them over. 

Offline Adami

« Reply #2751 on: December 01, 2020, 10:54:21 AM »
Watched the latest episode - was OK.  Bit disappointed how one dimensional it's becoming - go somewhere (Earth, Trill Planet, Star Fleet head quarters, Vulcan) meet with suspicion but ultimately win them over.

You forgot something. Michael is the only person in the universe who can do whatever it is they need to do.

Help the trill? HAS TO BE MICHAEL!
Broker peace between earth and some random peeps? HAS TO BE MICHAEL!
Help the alien guy who has a member of his species 10 feet away? HAS TO BE MICHAEL!
Get info from Vulcan? HAS TO BE MICHAEL!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2752 on: December 01, 2020, 11:10:03 AM »

You forgot something. Michael is the only person in the universe who can do whatever it is they need to do.

Help the alien guy who has a member of his species 10 feet away? HAS TO BE MICHAEL!

Yeah the show could definitely use a couple of Burnham-lite episodes soon.  It looked like we were going to get to know some of the b-crew members a bit more early on - instead it's been more Burnham heavy than ever........even characters like Culber, Reno and Georgiou seem to go missing every other episode.

Offline Adami

« Reply #2753 on: December 01, 2020, 11:12:06 AM »
Yea, they don't seem to understand what an ensemble cast is. You just have Michael, her episodes co-star which usually switches between Seru or Georgiou, and then background characters.

I read a good review that pointed out that Tilly was only made the new number 1 because she had the most lines of anyone else, as opposed to any logical explanation at all.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2754 on: December 01, 2020, 11:17:34 AM »
I read a good review that pointed out that Tilly was only made the new number 1 because she had the most lines of anyone else, as opposed to any logical explanation at all.

I didn't mind that to be honest, it kindoff works because it was Saru's choice we've seen Saru totally trusts Tilly......and we've been shown the thing that hurts Saru most about having to demote Burnham is despict their friendship he simply can't trust her to follow his command.

Offline Adami

« Reply #2755 on: December 01, 2020, 11:23:06 AM »

I didn't mind that to be honest, it kindoff works because it was Saru's choice we've seen Saru totally trusts Tilly......and we've been shown the thing that hurts Saru most about having to demote Burnham is despict their friendship he simply can't trust her to follow his command.

I’d imagine I’m one a few people who had issues. I just thought it, like most of the rest of the writing, was dumb. “People like Tilly....so let’s pick her”
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #2756 on: December 01, 2020, 02:19:19 PM »
I don't know if it's just me but I don't know if the actress playing Michael is about to cry or laugh. It's uncanny. As for the show, I think it's better than before, it tries at least to have some "real" Trek in it. What's funny now is that when it tries, I don't want it to because I know it's not what it shows. Those moments stick out even more out of place and are just off. Just be yourself :) I know, I know... you wanted more Trek, now you bitch when you get a little more :D What can I say, you can't please everyone :D

That whole logic council thing that was supposed to be about facts and logic.. was it supposed to turn out into an intervention for Michael to confront her feelings? :lol

I hope that they at least grow Tilly as a character. She was fun in S1 but now she's just a caricature and a bad comic-relief, one trick kind of thing. Give her more of that Terran makeover.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2757 on: December 01, 2020, 04:11:00 PM »

Yeah the show could definitely use a couple of Burnham-lite episodes soon.  It looked like we were going to get to know some of the b-crew members a bit more early on - instead it's been more Burnham heavy than ever........even characters like Culber, Reno and Georgiou seem to go missing every other episode.

They really should fill out the other crew members, imo.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2758 on: December 01, 2020, 04:16:04 PM »
Yup. We 100% need more Rhys, Bryce and Owo stories.

Plus more of the CMO and apparently we've not even seen the warp core or Chief Engineer yet...

I'm assuming that the black female doctor is the CMO but I can't remember if they said yet.

Imagine getting to S3 of TOS or TNG without yet seeing the engine room, or La Forge or Beverly Crusher.

Offline Adami

« Reply #2759 on: December 01, 2020, 04:18:06 PM »
I know I can just look it up, but who the hell are Culber and Reno?

I've seen every Discovery episode thus far and the only names I know are Michael, Georgiou, Stamis (I think that's what it is), Seru, and Tilly. I have no idea who the others are, even if I can visually recognize them as the chick with the robot head piece or the chick with the breathing stuff, or the doctor from Rent, or the frog alien who always delivers bad jokes, etc.

Edit after Kotowboy's post:.......I also have no idea who Rhys, Bryce, or Owo are.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2760 on: December 01, 2020, 04:23:02 PM »
Culber is the black doctor dude and Stamets boyf.

Reno is the sassy wisecracking engineer who they picked up from the Hiawatha in S2.

Owo is the black pilot girl who sits up front with Detmer ( one eye ).

Rhys and Bryce are the 2 dudes who stand near the back. Oh and Nillson is the blond girl who used to play Airiam but they killed off her character and bought her back as a human.

( For some reason - another actor played Airiam for the episode where she goes bye bye out of an airlock )

I *think* I read that blond girl didn't want to spend hours in make up every day to play Airiam anymore so they recast for the ep where you get an info dump about her life

only for her to die - so you're supposed to feel something.

Offline Adami

« Reply #2761 on: December 01, 2020, 04:30:38 PM »
Culber is the black doctor dude and Stamets boyf.

Reno is the sassy wisecracking engineer who they picked up from the Hiawatha in S2.

Owo is the black pilot girl who sits up front with Detmer ( one eye ).

Rhys and Bryce are the 2 dudes who stand near the back. Oh and Nillson is the blond girl who used to play Airiam but they killed off her character and bought her back as a human.

( For some reason - another actor played Airiam for the episode where she goes bye bye out of an airlock )

I *think* I read that blond girl didn't want to spend hours in make up every day to play Airiam anymore so they recast for the ep where you get an info dump about her life

only for her to die - so you're supposed to feel something.

Other than Rhys and Bryce (Still got nothing there), that was surprisingly helpful!

Then again, I guess I can't blame a show that is focused almost exclusively on plot/mysteries/action to not have many well developed characters.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2762 on: December 02, 2020, 12:10:53 AM »
Thinking on it a little more, we've had quite a lot of coverage of the following non-Burnham current staff:

Tilly, Saru, Hugh, Stammets, Philippa,

And the following previously serving space folk:

Pike, Spock, Vorca (sp?), Tyler, L'rell

But there are several constant characters we've seen NOTHING of. I think maybe it's another symptom of them moving so damn fast all the time. It sometimes feels like they're scared to have a scene where someone has an open discussion over a cup of tea for some minutes. (Except any scene with Michael behind emotional, of course)

I want to say to them - "You've made it this far. It's a good show. You've brought me new Trek! Thanks! Now, just relax!"

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2763 on: December 02, 2020, 03:25:48 AM »
Yup. We 100% need more Rhys, Bryce and Owo stories.

Plus more of the CMO and apparently we've not even seen the warp core or Chief Engineer yet...

I'm assuming that the black female doctor is the CMO but I can't remember if they said yet.

Imagine getting to S3 of TOS or TNG without yet seeing the engine room, or La Forge or Beverly Crusher.

To be honest the show wouldn't lose that much without those two.  La Forge was creepy guy and Beverly lost her only trait (being a mother) when Wesley left the show.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2764 on: December 02, 2020, 04:48:47 AM »
My point is - imagine if in TOS' entire run you never saw the engine room, warp core or scotty or bones !

Why do we only ever see the Spore Drive Reaction room ?

I hope we see the actual Warp Core & Engine room this season.